NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
drahkon

Essential SNES Games

Alright. Easy: What are, in your opinion, essential SNES games that everyone should play?

Recommend me everything, even the obvious ones (e.g. Super Mario World), but most importantly some obscure and hidden gems. I will have some more free time soon and would love to revisit my gaming history and add a little more knowledge about other SNES games. :) 

• Thanks 1

Some of these I may confuse with their Mega Drive counterparts as I'm much more familiar with them. I know some were actually quite different.

Super Mario World
Super Metroid
Chrono Trigger
Secret of Mana
Super Mario RPG
Harvest Moon
Adventure of Batman & Robin
Sunset Riders
Street Racer
Uniracers
Zombies Ate My Neighbours
Mega Man X
Super Punch Out
Contra III
Mortal Kombat II
Super Castlevania IV
Final Fantasy III (6)
Street Fighter 2
A Link to the Past

I ended up using this list to remind myself of a lot of them http://retro-sanctuary.com/Top-100-SNES-Games-Page-1.html

There are some obvious ones I've left out as well like Donkey Kong or Mario Kart but I didn't include them as they never really clicked with me personally.

• Thanks 2

Here are a few others that haven't been mentioned yet.

• Terrinigma
  • Secret of Evermore
  • Mickey's Magical Quest
  • Turtles in Time
  • Donkey Kong Country Trilogy
  • Aladdin
  • Lion King
  • UN Squadron
  • Demon's Crest
  • Illusion of Time 
  • Thanks 2

You just know this thread is gonna end up costing me a load of money when it inevitably leads me back to eBay.

• Haha 3

A couple I really enjoyed that haven't been mentioned:

Super Bomberman 2 & 3 

Goof Troop

Both really great for 2 player co-op.

• Thanks 2

Few more I thought of:

Captain America and the Avengers
Robocop Vs Terminator
Spider-Man (90s animated series game)

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Happenstance said:

There are some obvious ones I've left out as well like Donkey Kong or Mario Kart but I didn't include them as they never really clicked with me personally.

And with that I request you to be banned from this thread, no, from this forum. :p 

Anyway, thanks to you all. Just 'acquired' 19 games for my device and will have to choose one to start with later today. Maybe it'll be Chrono Trigger, yet again? Who knows? I know. IT WILL BE.

We should probably start the equivalent of a SNES (and Mega Drive because I prefer that :p ) book club, playing a different game together every month. I'm quite enjoying the Chrono Trigger chat I managed to stir up by starting to play it.

6 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

We should probably start the equivalent of a SNES (and Mega Drive because I prefer that :p ) book club, playing a different game together every month. I'm quite enjoying the Chrono Trigger chat I managed to stir up by starting to play it.

Kinda like that idea.

But you'll be banned soon, so someone else should take matters in hand themselves :p 

1 minute ago, drahkon said:

Kinda like that idea.

But you'll be banned soon, so someone else should take matters in hand themselves :p 

Don't get annoyed with me just because I have superior taste in games :p

1 minute ago, Happenstance said:

Don't get annoyed with me just because I have superior taste in games :p

I won't comment on that, let's just agree that we both have better taste in games than @nekunando

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

Love that idea. I think darksnowman tried something like that ages ago when Pokemon Trading Card Game came out on the VC. Problem was I finished the game before most got around to starting it. :D 

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Problem was I finished the game before most got around to starting it. :D 

Yeah, that will always be a problem with you.

How about you start playing the game in question two days before the month is over. Then we'll all be finished at the same time.

• Haha 3

We should try and give it a go then (when I say we, I mean all of you as I'll be banned). Figure out who is interested and the best way to sort out which games to play. For the SNES and Mega Drive I expect most people have "access" to everything these days.

• Haha 2

I'm going to get a thread up and running as soon as I've had launch. This will probably be a thread to collect ideas on how to figure out which games to play and then how to proceed. I reckon once we've decided on a game it's best to create a thread for that and let the discussion commence. :peace: 

• Thanks 2

Make sure you tag people who you think could be interested. You know what this place is like these days, not every thread gets looked in anymore.

• Like 1

Having a gaming bookclub is a good idea, especially for SNES and Mega Drive games.

If we are to do this though, may I suggest that we start off with games which are on the SNES Mini for Super Nintendo titles and on the MegaDrive Classics for MD games?

While I realise that most people may well have "access" to lots of these titles, not everyone will want to play the games unless they are either on original hardware or an official compilation.

I don't wish to start anything over the ethics etc, I'm just trying to help get this thing off the ground as I think it's a good idea. :peace:

So naturally, I think starting with titles which have had a recent re-release on an easily obtainable officially licensed device or compilation might be a good way to go. :smile:

• Like 3

Just now, S.C.G said:

Having a gaming bookclub is a good idea, especially for SNES and Mega Drive games.

If we are to do this though, may I suggest that we start off with games which are on the SNES Mini for Super Nintendo titles and on the MegaDrive Classics for MD games?

While I realise that most people may well have "access" to lots of these titles, not everyone will want to play the games unless they are either on original hardware or an official compilation.

I don't wish to start anything over the ethics etc, I'm just trying to help get this thing off the ground as I think it's a good idea. :peace:

So naturally, I think starting with titles which have had a recent re-release on an easily obtainable officially licensed device or compilation might be a good way to go. :smile:

Ok @S.C.G is imposing his ethical will so he is out!

• Haha 4

Seriously though I do agree with at least trying to start with the games that more people will have access to legally. I just meant that all the games are available elsewhere so easily that it shouldn't be too much of an issue in the long run to keep it going.

• Thanks 1

Agree with all of that. Will keep that in mind. 

I didn't grow up with MegaDrive, though, so I actually have no ideregarding its games. I will need a little help with that.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, drahkon said:

Agree with all of that. Will keep that in mind. 

I didn't grow up with MegaDrive, though, so I actually have no ideregarding its games. I will need a little help with that.

Basically, they are all great. :p

• Haha 1

I don't think anyone's mentioned Actraiser yet.  It's half sim, half 2D action game, and certainly one I used to play a lot.

Super Mario Kart, F-Zero, Pilotwings, Star Fox... But yeah, I think most people are very familiar with those. So my biggest recommendation would have to be The Legend of the Mystical Ninja! :cool:

One of my personal favourites on the SNES, and a truly great game that more people should definitely play.

The Japan exclusive sequels is also great, not to mention the N64 game, but that’s for another thread. :hehe: 

Pop’n TwinBee is another nice game, a super colourful and fun shump, also from Konami. You basically can’t go wrong with anything from Konami on SNES, they were pretty much at the top of their game during that time. ;) 

Just remembered Tiny Toon Adventures now :D I recall having a laugh with that game too. 

Godamn I miss the good old Konami... :( 

• Like 1

I tried out the Spider-Man Animated Series game on SNES today. Bit different to the Mega Drive version I’m used to. Don’t think it looks or controls as well. Don’t think I’ll stick with it.

34 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

I tried out the Spider-Man Animated Series game on SNES today. Bit different to the Mega Drive version I’m used to. Don’t think it looks or controls as well. Don’t think I’ll stick with it.

Get Maximum Carnage played. I loved that game but it was hard as hell. I used to rent it all the time but I don't think I ever finished it.

Sign in to follow this