NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Hero-of-Time

Child of Light and Valiant Hearts coming to Switch

More Ubisoft support confirmed.

Looks like we have some more support heading to Switch from Ubisoft, albeit ports of older titles. Both Child of Light and Valiant Hearts are coming to the platform. We don't know if there's any enhancements or changes for Switch, but we do know the release dates.

Child of Light: Ultimate Edition

- due out Oct. 11th, 2018

Valiant Hearts

- due out Nov. 8th, 2018

Both games are utterly fantastic and I urge everyone who hasn't had the opportunity to play them yet to give them a go.

I second the praise for Child of Light. Fun, not too long RPG with lovely visuals and beautiful music.

Yeah I loved Child of Light when I played it on Vita. I wish a couple more RPGs out there were of a similar (shorter) length.

Not played Valiant Hearts yet but I've been meaning to.

Nice to see more Ubisoft support.

Edited by Ronnie

A sequel til Child of Light may be on its way:

The upper Tweet followed by the picture with "f Light II" in the background can only mean that Child of Light II is happening.

• Like 1

I finished Valiant Hearts yesterday, and the game got me into documentaries about WW1 again. Such a crazy war with a lot of amazing footage still surviving from those days.

The more I played this game the more I got sucked in to the story. Gameplay is nothing to write home about, but that is okay since it's more about the visual experience and the narrative of course. 

I wonder if we'll see more games using the UbiArt-engine in the future.

The sheer quantity of games available on Switch is incredible. I don't care what anyone says, you've got all you can eat on this thing. Any vague semblance of a "to play" list I have is frequently interrupted* by something going on sale on the eShop. I've reached a point now where I try to buy stuff that I intend to play immediately because, say it with me, there's always another sale coming. It wasn't easy getting here. 

Well, I grabbed the Child of Light / Valient Hearts double-pack (unfortunately the physical edition is just a code in a box) and Scott Pilgrim in the recent sale. Child of Light got bumped up my priority list after I saw the main character was added to Bloodstained which still remains in to-buy status. 

Finished Child of Light at the weekend and it was an excellent little game. It's a short, 2D side-scrolling turn-based RPG with a lovely soundtrack provided by Coeur de Pirate. I didn't realise it to begin with, but I'd heard some of the music before and actually almost went to see Coeur de Pirate years ago. Small world. 

For anyone who hasn't played it, CoL is in a fairytale setting with dialogue coming in rhyme. If I'd written this post after finishing the game it might have been in rhyming couplets. :laughing: You can equip three pieces of "materia" per character and can combine pieces in a basic, neat and tidy crafting system if you want something more potent. When you level up, you can unlock abilities/extra stat ups/passive skills on a chart. It's one of those rare skill charts where you always feel like you're getting something useful no matter what direction you go in. A lot of characters join you along the way and they're all genuinely useful, viable and unique in what they bring to battle, which plays out with an "ATB" bar and is cool too as it keeps you engaged and paying attention.

What's on offer here is smalltime but really well done.

And for anyone who has played it, why have you not been recommending this game more??? :blank: 

I found it to be pretty nice from the off with an indie feel but it didn't strike me as anything particularly outstanding. Then after a while, something changed and I started to feel the weight of this short journey. I became invested in it. I was bummed when a certain character left as I'd been making good use of them but party members continue to join you after that and you've no time to look back. It's not a difficult game but you feel like you're overcoming obstacles and setbacks, and by the final third you need to see it out. Top stuff.

Improvements? Kind of wish there was a map for individual areas. Locations aren't massive though it would have been useful to pull up a map screen to check the layout. There are a handful of quests (including a trading sidequest!) which are chucked on the inventory page. A dedicated quest section wouldn't have gone amiss, just to keep things separate.

The soundtrack, lovely as it is, could have done with more tracks as the loooong credits concluded in silence having run out of music to accompany it.

I've been off RPGs recently and Child of Light was just the tonic I needed. It's concise and expertly crafted. Buy it in the next sale and you won't be disappointed. :peace: 

*get it?!?!

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, darksnowman said:

And for anyone who has played it, why have you not been recommending this game more??? :blank: 

I've mentioned more then a few times how Child of Light is the best thing Ubisoft have released in a very long time.

Absolutely criminal that it's likely never getting a sequel. (No, Bloodstained doesn't count)

I've managed the whole game without getting a single party member! Fun little challenge.

Edited by Glen-i

1 hour ago, darksnowman said:

I've been off RPGs recently and Child of Light was just the tonic I needed. It's concise and expertly crafted. Buy it in the next sale and you won't be disappointed

As someone who's not really a fan of 50+ hour turn based RPGs, Child of Light's shorter campaign was a breath of fresh air for me. Loved it.

1 hour ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Now get cracking on Valiant Hearts. 

And then what?

45 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

As someone who's not really a fan of 50+ hour turn based RPGs, Child of Light's shorter campaign was a breath of fresh air for me. Loved it.

Glad to hear it! I think it's a game anyone could enjoy. 

Valiant Hearts was good puzzling from start to finish with cool musical action sections peppered in here and there (thankfully those car bits had good checkpointing! :blush: ). Character diaries and information about WW1 being readable in the menu made it all the more impactful to go through. Even in victory, the ending was hard-hitting. 

Good stuff and a nice double-pack. Would like to see more of these smaller games from big companies.

On 16/05/2022 at 7:30 PM, Hero-of-Time said:

Get back to Xenoblade. :p 

Season 3 Friends Tv Show GIF by Friends - Find & Share on GIPHY

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Sign in to follow this