NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Hero-of-Time

IGN review for Dead Cells redacted due to plagiarism

8 minutes ago, MindFreak said:

Dead Cells is out today and it has a 92 point rating on Metacritic. 9.7 from IGN but their review has been retracted due to claims of plagiarism. 

Yeah, i've been catching up with the events that have happened during the night. It's seems Filip Miucin (NVC host) has ripped off someone else's review. Apparently he has done this before, as well. His and IGNs credibility have certainly come into question again and i'd be very surprised if he is kept on. The evidence is pretty damning. 

I would say that i'm shocked that something like this may have happened but honestly i'm not. You look at the sheer amount of games that are being released, especially on the Switch, and websites and YouTubers are desperate to get their name out there and put up reviews for these games, even if they haven't actually finished or even played the game. A lot of reviews these days can be seen as glorified press releases, with people taking what was wrote on a press release and then adapting it to a review. Strangely enough, I had a brief conversation with @S.C.G about this kind of thing happening just yesterday.

I know i've harped on about this before in the past but this kind of thing is why I like to see the credits roll or even 100% a game before I put out my final thoughts/review, as well as providing a quick screen shot showing my stat screen or credits rolling. It adds credibility to the person who is writing about the game. This subject also came up in a recent episode of Sacred Symbols, with Colin saying this is why he enjoys achievements and trophies because you can call out reviewers if they say they've completed a game for the review but the stats say otherwise, something which he has been able to do in the past. Although he didn't say whether this was while he was working at IGN.

It will be a shame if Filip has indeed done what is being claimed. He was just starting grow on me as host of NVC. However, if he is indeed found guilty of plagiarising that other review then I do think he should be let go from IGN because the damage would have done and he probably wouldn't be able to review another game without being put under the microscope.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Wow I hadn't heard about that until now Filip was growing on me as well, as a host at least. That said, I can't say I'm surprised, he's still an empty chair on NVC offering very little intelligent thought of his own so in that regard I can't say I'm surprised he's plagiarised another review.

Not a good look for IGN who usually do a great job reviews wise.

Seems like IGN’s NVC host, Filip, could be in a lot of trouble for plagiarising in his recent Dead Cells review. 

As a group of writers and creators who value our own work and that of others in our field, the editorial staff of IGN takes plagiarism very seriously. In light of concerns that have been raised about our Dead Cells review, we’ve removed it for the time being and are investigating.

2 hours ago, Ronnie said:

That said, I can't say I'm surprised, he's still an empty chair on NVC offering very little intelligent thought of his own so in that regard I can't say I'm surprised he's plagiarised another review.

A lot about him that I never knew about has come out over this incident. His lack of contributions to conversations on the podcast has likely come from the fact that he actually doesn't have that much of a history with Nintendo. Hell, he didn't even own a Wii U. Granted, not many people did ( :p ) but if you are going to be in charge of IGN's Nintendo section then you would think that you would have at least have knowledge and experience with their systems. I also didn't realise that he was a YouTuber before IGN and that's where they got him from. This once again shows that just because you sit in front of a camera in your own home doesn't mean that you are qualified to work inside the larger gaming industry, something that a few companies learned over the past couple of E3's.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, S.C.G said:

On the subject of the IGN review though, that's pretty bad form on their part. :(

It's one man, and it'll be dealt with I'm sure. ResetEra is of course tarring the entire site with the same brush, but that's unfair.

9 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

A lot about him that I never knew about has come out over this incident. His lack of contributions to conversations on the podcast has likely come from the fact that he actually doesn't have that much of a history with Nintendo. Hell, he didn't even own a Wii U. Granted, not many people did ( :p ) but if you are going to be in charge of IGN's Nintendo section then you would think that you would have at least have knowledge and experience with their systems. I also didn't realise that he was a YouTuber before IGN and that's where they got him from. This once again shows that just because you sit in front of a camera in your own home doesn't mean that you are qualified to work inside the larger gaming industry, something that a few companies learned over the past couple of E3's.

To be fair to him he's admitted on a couple of occasions that he didn't own a Wii U, but you're right. I don't like to discuss sackings or whatever, but if he does go, I'm sure IGN can find someone better. Someone who can actually add to the conversation. Even non-Nintendo stuff he doesn't really add anything. Also this might be a stretch but I've always wondered whether Peer has truly been happy with him since he joined, he tends to look quite glum on NVC since Jose left. Maybe I'm reading too much into it.

20 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

It's one man, and it'll be dealt with I'm sure. ResetEra is of course tarring the entire site with the same brush, but that's unfair.

OK then...

"On the subject of the reviewer though, that's pretty bad form on their part." 

@Ronnie I figured I would continue our conversation over here as it seems more relevant in this topic.

To be fair to him he's admitted on a couple of occasions that he didn't own a Wii U, but you're right. I don't like to discuss sackings or whatever, but if he does go, I'm sure IGN can find someone better. Someone who can actually add to the conversation. Even non-Nintendo stuff he doesn't really add anything. Also this might be a stretch but I've always wondered whether Peer has truly been happy with him since he joined, he tends to look quite glum on NVC since Jose left. Maybe I'm reading too much into it.

I wonder why Peer or Brian don't just host the show themselves? Both are knowledgeable enough to run the podcast and both know exactly what games are coming out and are able to add to the conversation. There's nothing worse than listening to a podcast and one or two of the members haven't a clue about what is being spoke about. Gui over on RFN is sometimes like this and I always figure what's the point of him being on the show if he can't bring anything to the table?

• Thanks 2

39 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Hell, he didn't even own a Wii U.

Oh shit, I'm writing for this site and I never owned a WiiU. Don't tell @Ashley!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Just now, Vileplume2000 said:

Oh shit, I'm writing for this site and I never owned a WiiU. Don't tell @Ashley!

Most people on here who did own a Wii U didn't buy Captain Toad. I'm well aware of the quality of Nintendo fans we have on this site. :p 

• Haha 6
  • Weird 1

48 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

@Ronnie I figured I would continue our conversation over here as it seems more relevant in this topic.

I wonder why Peer or Brian don't just host the show themselves? Both are knowledgeable enough to run the podcast and both know exactly what games are coming out and are able to add to the conversation. There's nothing worse than listening to a podcast and one or two of the members haven't a clue about what is being spoke about. Gui over on RFN is sometimes like this and I always figure what's the point of him being on the show if he can't bring anything to the table?

Peer ran the show for a little while in the interim (which meant it was great, I'm always sad when he isn't on NVC on any given week) but they still needed a "Nintendo guy" to push all their content through. McCaffrey is Xbox (and does an excellent job) and... I was going to say Allanah/Marty were Playstation but they've left now so I'm not sure who runs their coverage now.

3 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

Peer ran the show for a little while in the interim (which meant it was great, I'm always sad when he isn't on NVC on any given week) but they still needed a "Nintendo guy" to push all their content through. McCaffrey is Xbox (and does an excellent job) and... I was going to say Allanah/Marty were Playstation but they've left now so I'm not sure who runs their coverage now.

Yeah, they'll probably have to get someone in to do the Nintendo show because they don't seem to have the man power anymore. As you said, they've lost some key members over the past couple of months and all the shows will suffer due to it.

Thinking about this some more I can't quite believe how stupid Filip's actions were. Did he honestly think he would get away with it in 2018? In an age where the gamer community is looking to point fingers at everything and anyone!

So dumb, but frankly maybe not that surprising after all for anyone who's seen him struggle to talk intelligently on NVC. 

I'm surprised IGN haven't issued a statement about it yet. NVC records live on Thursdays and it will be interesting to see if he's still hosting or not.

I wish I hadn't read the replies to that tweet. Full of embarrassing comments that sum up the  immaturity of the gaming community as a whole. 

6 hours ago, Ronnie said:

There was no other way that this could have concluded. It was certainly the right move.

Alanah Pearce has gave some more insight into the situation. Apparently IGN were desperate to fill the role and they had difficulty finding anyone suitable that would be willing to work for the pay they were offering. This is also why IGN have seen a large turnover of staff over the past year. The cost of living over in San Francisco is huge and IGN aren't paying a good enough wage to get people to work for them.

Peer has tweeted out saying that IGN are contemplating giving the ad revenue from the Dead Cells review to Boomstick gaming or something similar along those lines. That's a tremendous gesture on their part and one that will do a lot of good in restoring their credibility.

Edited by Hero-of-Time
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Ronnie said:
I wish I hadn't read the replies to that tweet. Full of embarrassing comments that sum up the  immaturity of the gaming community as a whole. 

You have to remember that there will no doubt be a hell of a lot of younger gamers making comments. Most are probably from the likes of the CoD/Fornite kids who yell abuse at randomers while playing online.

59 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

You have to remember that there will no doubt be a hell of a lot of younger gamers making comments. Most are probably from the likes of the CoD/Fornite kids who yell abuse at randomers while playing online.

Yeah I'm sure you're right but it's still not a great look.

1 hour ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Most are probably from the likes of the CoD/Fornite kids who yell abuse at randomers while playing online.

SHUT THE FUCK UP YOU FUCKFACE. 

1 hour ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Peer has tweeted out saying that IGN are contemplating giving the ad revenue from the Dead Cells review to Boomstick gaming or something similar along those lines.

Would be nice and necessary. 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

Wow. That's wrong on so many levels. You quote from them and reference them, acknowledge them. That's not stealing or plagiarism! Also, you just use their results to avoid having to do the same research they did in order to infer something else related to it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I don't understand how IGN considered Filip to be competent enough to do reviews in the first place, I don't watch NVC very often but I did see it regularly when he first started hosting and as Ronnie has pointed out Filip doesn't add anything insightful to the conversation at all, everything he says is regurgitated from press releases and lacks any criticism - he basically just seems like a Nintendo fanboy who has somehow lucked into a job in games journalism despite having zero skill as a journalist. The plagiarism in the Dead Cells review is so blatant and naive, Filip definitely got what he deserved. 

7 minutes ago, killthenet said:

I don't understand how IGN considered Filip to be competent enough to do reviews in the first place, I don't watch NVC very often but I did see it regularly when he first started hosting and as Ronnie has pointed out Filip doesn't add anything insightful to the conversation at all, everything he says is regurgitated from press releases and lacks any criticism - he basically just seems like a Nintendo fanboy who has somehow lucked into a job in games journalism despite having zero skill as a journalist. The plagiarism in the Dead Cells review is so blatant and naive, Filip definitely got what he deserved. 

He's not even that. He has very little knowledge about Nintendo. It looks as though he became a YouTuber when the Switch got released and, like many of them out there, concentrated on that because of how hot a product it was. IGN were desperate to fill the shoes of Jose but wanted someone who was cheap, which is why he got the job. He's got good editing skills but that's about it.

2 hours ago, Happenstance said:

:laughing:

That was clearly his mistake. He simply didn't steal from enough people in this case. Maths has cost him his job!

• Haha 3

Sign in to follow this