NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Sméagol

Chrono Trigger

5 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

Ok not to be a dick (or more of one) but how does naming a spoiler tag "Where I'm at" help anyone? How do they know if they are before or after you?

It doesn't but then in this instance I don't think it matters. There's only a few of us actively playing it and engaging in conversation and I've already played the game and drahkon is miles behind you.

8 minutes ago, drahkon said:

To get back on topic:

Where I'm at (Reveal hidden contents)

Back in the middle ages to take down Magus apparently. We'll see how that'll go down.

Came across a store that sells incredible equipment for a HUGE amount of money...tempted to grind but...nah :D This is just too much.

Yeah, I seen those prices and was like "nope". I love grinding as much as the next JRPG fan but I wasn't going to even attempt to get those.

It appears we are pretty much at the same point, drahkon.

Just now, Hero-of-Time said:

It doesn't but then in this instance I don't think it matters. There's only a few of us actively playing it and engaging in conversation and I've already played the game and drahkon is miles behind you.

And what about Smeagol and Goafer?

Just now, Happenstance said:

And what about Smeagol and Goafer?

That's why I mentioned actively playing and engaging in conversation. Yesterday it was pretty much myself, you and drahkon having the back and forth all day. 

Just now, Hero-of-Time said:

That's why I mentioned actively playing and engaging in conversation. Yesterday it was pretty much myself, you and drahkon having the back and forth all day. 

Ok well I'll just leave it then as all this spoiler shit is starting to annoy me.

3 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

It appears we are pretty much at the same point, drahkon.

If there's anything I can be proud of it's that you are not miles ahead of me this time :D 

Going to watch football. Might play Chrono Trigger and just have the match running in the background. Depends on how interesting it'll be.

I love how all characters still get experience even if they aren't part of the main party. I hated that this wasn't the case in Octopath Traveler and playing this so soon after feels really refreshing.

11 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I love how all characters still get experience even if they aren't part of the main party. 

Yeah. Every JRPG that has more characters than slots in your party should do this. 

Spoiler

Back in the prehistoric times looking for the Dreamstone. I have so many healing items that fights aren't really a problem. 

Alright. The game lost me again.
I just don't think it's very fun. The battles are way too easy, the characters aren't particularly interesting to me and the story doesn't really get going - to the point where I just can't be arsed to continue playing.

I've taken some time to read a summary of the plot and to be honest it's nothing special except:

Spoiler

Magus is Janus trying to defeat Lavos.

So after about 7 hours of playtime it's finally time for me to mark Chrono Trigger as a game I will never complete and never play again. I guess if I had played it back in the day it would've blown me away and I appreciate what it did for its time, but these days it's simply "meh" to me.

• Sad 2

Shame you're not feeling it @drahkon but it's pointless carrying on if the game isn't grabbing you.

What I've noticed during this playthrough is just how much HP bosses have. I think they have far too much, especially as they aren't that hard to begin with. The battles turn into a bit of a slog.

• Thanks 1

I had a good session on this yesterday, killed a few more bosses and have put in around 10 hours now.

Spoiler

Took down Magus pretty easily. My team of Frog, Crono and Marle managed to brush him aside without too much effort. Hit with Crono to get a weakness that I could use, used attack with Frog to lower his defence and then attack with the player who had the spell that he was weak to. Rinse and repeat, with a bit of healing in between, obviously.

Black Tyranno and Azala were also a pushover. The battle went on for a while but I was never in any danger of dying. I just used Lightning II to get rid of Azala and then hit BT with my strongest attacks and then healed when he unleashed his big move. 

I've reached the point where my pendant can now open those mysterious doors and i've now got hold of the Epoch.

I'll put some more time into it this evening.

• Like 1

@drahkon If you're able to go back to it I would definitely recommend that. The plot really does become quite something and it's easily one of my favourite games. No worries if you've given up, but this is something really special.

Then you can also play Chrono Cross (the PS1 game) which is on the US PSN store. Now there's another stellar game.

• Thanks 2

Spoiler

Man, the fight against the Mud Imp and two beasts is annoying. The two beasts have high HP and the fact that they can counter attack is very annoying. It would have been best if I brought Lucca for her fire skills but I couldn't be bothered to switch her in.

Another boss has been defeated.

Spoiler

Giga Gaia caused me a bit of trouble on my first attempt so I decided to change things up a bit. I swapped out Marle and Frog for Robo and Ayla. I then sat and done some grinding for a while which got me to level 38 and gave me enough TP to learn Luminaire with Crono, as well as the triple attack Twister. With both of these in my pocket I decimated Gaia. It only got off an attack at the start and after that it was so busy trying to respawn his arms that it done sod all for the rest of the fight.

On 12/08/2018 at 3:56 PM, drahkon said:

So after about 7 hours of playtime it's finally time for me to mark Chrono Trigger as a game I will never complete and never play again. I guess if I had played it back in the day it would've blown me away and I appreciate what it did for its time, but these days it's simply "meh" to me.

Kinda bummed that you weren't feeling it. It's a very pleasant game, I find.

Also, I don't think anyone here played the game back when it came out, either. The original SNES version was never released in Europe.

• Thanks 1

I'm currently working my way through the Ocean Palace dungeon. The exp is pretty decent in this place and the Twister tech, although costs a lot of MP, is making short work of the battles. I may stick around here for a bit and do a spot of leveling. 

I didn't get as much time as I wanted on this yesterday evening but I did make enough progress to the point where I can take on the final boss. I'll be doing some grinding and a few sidequests before I do go and face it.

Spoiler

I absolutely loved the scene where you revive Crono. Standing on the cliffside while the sun shines on the ocean is done amazing well considering it was made on the SNES. Marle then jumping on him and giving him a hug....dem feels. Great stuff. 

I managed to get everyone to level 50-55 last night. Still, I wouldn't mind getting them to 60, just to be safe.

Ive done a few of the side quests and got some of the better gear in the game. I loved the Ozzie quest. That guy is hilarious.

Shopto shipped Shenmue yesterday so I'm going to push on and try and get this finished in the event that Shenmue does end up popping through the letterbox this afternoon.

Took on the final boss earlier...

Took it down fairly easily with a team of Marle, Frog and Crono.

Spoiler

Dk6HTKZX4AEOwYt?format=jpg

I really enjoyed playing through this again, possibly more so than I did on my original play through. There's a simplicity about it that I find really appealing, especially when modern JRPGs have you trying to manage a stupid amount of things at the same time.

Its funny, I've been playing this and Shenmue side by side today and even though Shenmue is a much more modern game it's Chrono Trigger that holds up far better. Like a lot of games in the SNES era, this really stands the test of time.

• Like 1

Good to hear you enjoyed it. Genuinely one of my favourite games of all time.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Sheikah said:

Good to hear you enjoyed it. Genuinely one of my favourite games of all time.

Honestly, coming off Octopath and on to this has been a breath of fresh air. On Octopath I was having to constantly switch job types, team set ups and equipment but with this I could just pick my 3 and get on with it without much hassle. I'll say again, the simplicity of this made it very enjoyable. Maybe that's why I enjoyed it more than I did 9 years ago.

I really want to play this, but for me the issue is how to play the game. I never played it on the SNES and actually came into contact with it thanks to a rom that somebody passed on to me, with a glowing recommendation that it was an incredible game. But, the file was corrupted about a quarter of the way in, so I never finished it. I wanted to play a legitimate version, so I played it on @Eenuh's DS but never finished it as I usually get very bad headaches after a while when playing handhelds. Plus, using the DS/3DS gave me hand-cramps and it just generally didn't feel that pleasant to hold for too long. In the end, I gave up because it just didn't feel comfortable to play and I couldn't fully enjoy the game itself. 

So, I'm a bit stuck really. I have this really good game that I enjoyed playing and want to see through, but no real way to play it. ::shrug:

13 minutes ago, Fierce_LiNk said:

I really want to play this, but for me the issue is how to play the game. I never played it on the SNES and actually came into contact with it thanks to a rom that somebody passed on to me, with a glowing recommendation that it was an incredible game. But, the file was corrupted about a quarter of the way in, so I never finished it. I wanted to play a legitimate version, so I played it on @Eenuh's DS but never finished it as I usually get very bad headaches after a while when playing handhelds. Plus, using the DS/3DS gave me hand-cramps and it just generally didn't feel that pleasant to hold for too long. In the end, I gave up because it just didn't feel comfortable to play and I couldn't fully enjoy the game itself. 

So, I'm a bit stuck really. I have this really good game that I enjoyed playing and want to see through, but no real way to play it. ::shrug:

It's a shame they never put it on the SNES Mini, although you can buy them on ebay with it installed, along with a host of other games.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

It's a shame they never put it on the SNES Mini, although you can buy them on ebay with it installed, along with a host of other games.

I'll have a look now. :D 

If you're going the unofficial route, a Raspberry Pi would be cheaper. Just make sure you get a model 2 or above. I had stuttering issues with the model 1.

Or I assume you have a computer already? Even cheaper.

2 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Chrono Trigger was one of the first things I put on my SNES Mini when I decided to hack it. The SNES Mini has a stellar line-up, but I feel Secret of Mana over Chrono Trigger was a mistake. As well as DKC2 getting snubbed over DKC.

Sign in to follow this