NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Sméagol

Chrono Trigger

I need to figure out which episode of the Giant Bomb Endurance Run I was at. Probably got far enough ahead now that I can go back and watch some more.

Time to dig in to the old gaming archives.

DkVU3NwXoAEQ6xV?format=jpg

I forgot how good the opening overworld music is. It reminds me of a tune from the original Final Fantasy.

Edited by Hero-of-Time
  • Like 2

I need to check if I still have the case for my copy on the DS. I’m pretty sure the card is just in a pile in a gaming cupboard but I’m not sure where the box is at this point.

16 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

I need to check if I still have the case for my copy on the DS. I’m pretty sure the card is just in a pile in a gaming cupboard but I’m not sure where the box is at this point.

I love the DS version. The QoL stuff, like the map on the bottom screen and access to your equipment and inventory also on the bottom screen, is much appreciated. Although it does no favours to my gaming OCD as I now feel the need to completely fill in the map before moving on . :D 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I forgot how good the opening overworld music is. It reminds me of a tune from the original Final Fantasy.

Thought the same when I heard the overworld music today. 

But it's still nothing compared to:

• Like 2

Maybe I should have doubled up and played the SNES controller with one hand and the DS version in the other.

Spoiler

I've met Frog, killed the first boss, rescued Marle, been sentenced and I'm currently pegging it around the prison.

Listening to the music in the courtroom scene it totally feels like a PSOne era Final Fantasy game. The music playing has that playful charm to it. Kinda like Don Corneo's theme from Final Fantasy VII.

Escaping the jail brings back memories of FFVIII. It's a very similar setting, what with the winding hallways and high bridges that need to be crossed between areas.

• Like 1

Have you completed the game yet @Hero-of-Time? Seems like it would only take you around this long to 100% it.

Edit: lol, damn it!

Edited by Happenstance
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

Have you completed the game yet @Hero-of-Time? Seems like it would only take you around this long to 100% it.

Edit: lol, damn it!

Haha. Not yet. Just taken out the second boss.

• Like 1

Holy shit, I'm further than @Hero-of-Time? :p Not by much, though.

Spoiler

Just reached what I assume is the future. Such a feel good place. So pretty with all the vibrant colours...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I was talking to @Goafer the other day about the court room scene and how I wish there were more like it in the game. They seemed to switch it up a bit with the angles and art direction in an interesting way compared to the rest of the game.

2 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

I was talking to @Goafer the other day about the court room scene and how I wish there were more like it in the game. They seemed to switch it up a bit with the angles and art direction in an interesting way compared to the rest of the game.

It's such a cool scene. I love it how the characters at the bottom of the screen are modeled after realistic people rather than a more cartoony and chibi design.

Just reached where you're at now @drahkon. :p 

• Haha 1

Love it when playing a JRPG and you reach a new area with more than enough cash to outfit your entire team with new gear right off the bat. :D 

Just now, Hero-of-Time said:

Love it when playing a JRPG and you reach a new area with more than enough cash to outfit your entire team with new gear right off the bat. :D 

I’m still usually the guy who refuses to buy most armour or weapons in rpgs because you always find better stuff out in the wild.

4 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

I’m still usually the guy who refuses to buy most armour or weapons in rpgs because you always find better stuff out in the wild.

I've found that to be the case with weapons so far but not with armour. 

These stupid thieving rats keep nicking my potions!!

2 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I've found that to be the case with weapons so far but not with armour. 

These stupid thieving rats keep nicking my potions!!

Lol yep

Chrono Trigger by Michael P. Williams from Boss Fight Books

Im planning on reading the Chrono Trigger book from Boss Fight Books once I’m done playing the game. It’s been sitting on my Kindle for about a year so it’s about time.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I was wondering when the sewer part of this JRPG would show up and there it is!

Haven't you played this before?

Anyway, just went through the sewer part myself. Not much to do in the next area it seems.
Reached Proto Dome and I'm calling it a night.

Like it so far. Hopefully I can stick with it this time.

2 hours ago, drahkon said:

Haven't you played this before?

Anyway, just went through the sewer part myself. Not much to do in the next area it seems.
Reached Proto Dome and I'm calling it a night.

Like it so far. Hopefully I can stick with it this time.

Indeed I have but only the once and that was around 9 years ago now. There's only bit and pieces that I actually remember from the game.

• Like 1

Spoiler

Reached The End of Time and learned magic. Nice. 

Old man told me to go back to my timeline but I spat in his face and decided to back to the stone age. Progressed through the world a bit only to find enemies that are quite tough to defeat and probably not worth the amount of healing items and patience. I do want to go through the area, though...might grind at some other place. Or just progress with what I assume is the main path.

By the way...Robo getting beaten up and not being able to do anything about it was tough...it was actually quite a cool, yet very simple game mechanic. Where in today's games you would've probably seen a cutscene unfold, in Chrono Trigger you are actually able to move with Chrono and really try to help but getting pushed back again and again. You feel helpless...
I wish games today would use interactions much more instead of simply resorting to cutscenes to bring across emotions like this.

Edited by drahkon
  • Like 2

Sign in to follow this