NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Sméagol

Chrono Trigger

So I said I'd start this after having downloaded this a while ago on my Wii.

Spoiler

It's semi-blind. I watched a pretty good part of a let's play, Watched it al the way through the future, and I remember a volcano I think, and some guy..? I also spoiled myself a bit regarding certain game elements. However, this is where my bad memory comes in. Maybe I stopped myself just in time from watching it, but I have no clue what the spoiler was from the future. I also knew the pendant in the beginning had some significance, but I forgot what exactly. At this point I've already read up a bit again regarding the stuff at the fair, but.. I'll get to that.

Also, right after I downloaded the game, I had a quick go to check the game out, but wasn't seriously playing, and didn't make it past the fair.

Spoiler

I wanted to name my guy Shlomo, but that 5 character limit prevented me from doing that. :blank:

So I wake up, get my allowence.

Checked out the area before heading out to the fair, getting some foreboding details about a forest and a war from a long time ago.

At the fair I collected some points. Mostly from the race. Did the strength test a few times, also fought the robot. I can't win the guzzling contest. :blank:

Got the doll from that one tent, also won that 40 point game.. I think? It didn't seem to do anything. I didn't win the 80 point game, and couldn't be bothered to gain another 80 points at that point.

Bought some heals as a precaution.

Bumped into Marle. Talked to her, and then got the pendant and gave it to her.

I.. ate the lunch. I just wanted to examine it, but Shlomo Crono immidiately ate it. I had a bad feeling about it, and since I've read up about the fair, I know it isn't (though I don't know the exact consequences).

I finally made it to Lucca, witnessed the accident, and went after Marle.

Then I found myself in a forest, and surrounded by Imps. I had 15 HP left from that fight with the robot, and the healz, they do nothing! And I died and it was Game Over.

It did not occur to me to save before this point, in fact I'm not sure if this was even possible, unless I can save on the world map. And in hindsight, I'm guessing the potions (or were they tonics?) are for HP, and the heals for status effects. :blank: Goddamit. Obviously I couldn't be bothered to do all that again right away.

Next time I'll leave the food, grind the silver points to exchange for money (to buy equipment), and make sure I'm fully healed, before I step into that portal.

Edited by Sméagol

You can save on the world map, it's in the menu. Option on the far right.

• Thanks 1

I can never get into the game. I want to play and finish it but after 3 hours I lose interest and I have no idea why.

Maybe reading adventures from fellow N-E peeps might help. Looking forward to it.

5 minutes ago, drahkon said:

I can never get into the game. I want to play and finish it but after 3 hours I lose interest and I have no idea why.

Maybe reading adventures from fellow N-E peeps might help. Looking forward to it.

I don't rate the game as highly as many others do ( I only got to play it when it was released on the DS so I don't have any nostalgia for it ) but I do think it is a very good JRPG and well worth playing through. It's a pretty short game as well, at least for the genre.

• Like 1

One thing I'll say is that I doubt my adventures will be as....detailed as Smeagols :laughing:

I'm about 4 hours in so far:

Spoiler

I've been to the end of time hub and am now in the Prehistoric world. Kind of a bit lost on what to do now though as I did everything I thought I could so I'm wondering if I'm in the wrong time period and should have gone elsewhere first. 

I can rarely bring myself to game for long in this kind of heat so I expect I'll carry on tomorrow when its cooled down a bit and my new controller has arrived.

Just now, Happenstance said:

I can rarely bring myself to game for long in this kind of heat so I expect I'll carry on tomorrow when its cooled down a bit and my new controller has arrived.

Preach it. I hate that I can't get much gaming done in this weather. Bring on the Winter!

Edited by Hero-of-Time
  • Like 2

To all you guys playing Chrono Trigger fully through for the first time...man, I envy you. This is genuinely one of the finest games ever made and also what makes me vent a bit when I talk about how S-E have massively regressed when making games like Bravely Default now.

The weaving together of timelines, ability to actually impact the plot, characters and battle system make this one of my all-time favourite games. If it hasn't clicked with you yet, stick with it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Managed to figure out where I was supposed to be going this morning so I'm back on track now in the game. Back in 600AD.

What I'm really enjoying doing in this, and this is the same thing I did with Persona 4 is basically playing along with the Giant Bomb Endurance Run. I'll play for a few hours and then watch their videos up to the same point. Kind of keeps me more interested in longer RPGs I guess.

God that was an evil boss battle against Magus. Made so much worse by all the stuff that comes before it with no chance to stock up on items again. I'm amazed I managed to get through it!

God that was an evil boss battle against Magus. Made so much worse by all the stuff that comes before it with no chance to stock up on items again. I'm amazed I managed to get through it!

Oh man, dem feels. Everything that involves Magus was so well done.

I love the Magus fight. Possibly my favourite fight in a JRPG ever.

Edited by Jonnas

I've tried to start this up again, but have a dilemma. Which device do I play it on?

Mobile phone: Convenient, as I can play it with or without a controller, depending on if I have a controller on me. Can't play on the TV though, nor charge the phone and use a controller at the same time.

Raspberry Pi: Can play on a TV, but can't take it with me unless I get a screen and power source for it.

DS: Can't play on TV, plus I've lost my charger.

I'm leaning towards getting a screen for my Pi, as the Pi has a tonne of other games on it and is probably more versatile than the others. The convenience of playing on a phone is appealing, as I always have it on me, but I don't want to drain the battery on my phone.

It depends how much you could be bothered to do the transfers before playing it but you could set up some cloud storage so you could play it in both Pi and phone.

9 hours ago, Goafer said:

Mobile phone: Convenient, as I can play it with or without a controller, depending on if I have a controller on me. Can't play on the TV though, nor charge the phone and use a controller at the same time.

Touch screen controls though. :shakehead

The Steam version has been updated and has improved quite  a bit if that's an option.

I've been meaning to replay the game again, just never got round to it.

15 hours ago, Ike said:

Touch screen controls though. :shakehead

The Steam version has been updated and has improved quite  a bit if that's an option.

I've been meaning to replay the game again, just never got round to it.

Yeah, they're not great, but a good backup if I don't have a controller. Plus my phone is always on me, so I'd be able to play whenever I want.

I'm leaning towards getting an 8bitdo controller, which can be used wirelessly on my phone (allowing me to charge it whilst playing) and wired on the Pi (the 360 pad constantly flashing is annoying).

I may then decide on whether to put a screen on the Pi at a later date.

I've tried to start this up again, but have a dilemma. Which device do I play it on? Mobile phone: Convenient, as I can play it with or without a controller, depending on if I have a controller on me. Can't play on the TV though, nor charge the phone and use a controller at the same time.

Raspberry Pi: Can play on a TV, but can't take it with me unless I get a screen and power source for it.

DS: Can't play on TV, plus I've lost my charger.

I'm leaning towards getting a screen for my Pi, as the Pi has a tonne of other games on it and is probably more versatile than the others. The convenience of playing on a phone is appealing, as I always have it on me, but I don't want to drain the battery on my phone.

Best way I reckon is emulate but use a dualshock with your phone/tablet. Can be done without root I believe if using a cable.  

Are you able to cast your phone screen to TV? This would allow you to play full screen at home.

[mention=2464]Sheikah[/mention] hopefully you'll know this. I've just beaten Giga Gaia. How much left do I have?
Not too much more, you're definitely nearing the end. Bear in mind there are a few ways to clear the game though.
  • Thanks 1

I'm taking a break. I just spent ages crawling through air ducts and then the game crashed on me :mad:

9 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

I'm taking a break. I just spent ages crawling through air ducts and then the game crashed on me :mad:

That'll teach you for playing video games while crawling through air ducts.

2 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

That'll teach you for playing video games while crawling through air ducts.

I was always told thats how to get the best acoustics for the Chrono Trigger music

• Haha 1

Have I just spent 80 minutes farming Gato to get enough money to buy the Lode Sword? Sure did until I took a break and explored the world only to find out that there is a Steel Sword for sale that only costs 800G and is only 5 points weaker than Lode Sword. Fuck you Lode Sword. Spent about 3000G just now on new equipment for Crono and Marle :D With this and the leveling up I've done I may be a little too strong for the early game? If so, good :D 

Also managed to win the three minigames in Norstein Bekkler's Tent of Horrors.:peace: 

I remember playing until a particular scene last time:

Spoiler

Meeting a frog in a church? This is what I remember. Not sure if this even happens. I guess that's a good thing as the first few moments of the game won't be boring then.

Edited by drahkon

Sign in to follow this