Sign in to follow this  
Fierce_LiNk

Musicians Unite! (show your music love, post your gear, etc)

7 hours ago, Vileplume2000 said:

@Fierce_LiNk I personally really enjoy playing it. I have to say I'm not into guitar tech. I never played a bass more expensive than say €500, and I haven't played a lot of different basses. But for the price (I think I've payed around €300-350 for the Thunderbird) it is amazing. I went out to try it because of the looks, but it plays great as well. It is a bit top-heavy but that doesn't bother me. It has a decent set of elements in it for as far as I can judge, and the build quality is good. And it looks so damn rock 'n roll. :grin: 

The shop owner also said it is good value for money and I can only agree. If I compare it with the Dean 5-string I have, that has a warmer, more full sound. But the Epiphone plays smoother, faster so I prefer that one. I think it's a safe bet as it is a bass that quite a lot of people use, it's recognizable and Epiphone is quite good in their price range. I don't really know other guitars in that price range which I would recommend as I don't have the experience. There are some Squier Jazz Bass or Precision Bass going in that price range if you want another popular model. But I love my Thunderbird!

Oh by the way the one I have is the Thunderbird IV VSB with the bolted on neck and passive elements. You also have the more luxurious Thunderbird Pro, which has a neck-through and I think active elements. If you want just a bit more.

Cheers for the post, man. I really appreciate it!

I'm quite similar to you too in that I'm not super techy either and have always worked within a budget (except for the drum kit). I absolutely love the look of this and have been looking at comparisons between that and the Pro. It does have active elements, as you say. Hmm! Think I would go for the Pro. It's my birthday this month, so I'm reeeeeally tempted as a present to myself, but we also have quite a few out-goings this month and it is rather close to Christmas. May wait a month or two. 

I'm looking at a video review for this and the bass sounds wonderful. I think I'm in love!

Also, this just arrived today:

Image result for Donner DT-1

Donner DT-1 Chromatic Pedal Tuner. £17 and seems to fit the bill for what I need. I know that Boss do a pedal that's about 3 times the price of this, but I think this will suit me just fine. I've given it a quick go and it seems great to use. 

• Like 2

I've been spending some time over the last two evenings learning how to play the keyboard. It's part of my plan to get a bit better with the theory side of things, including learning how to read music. I've never needed to learn music before, since I've always relied on tabs for guitar and bass, and have mostly learned drums by playing by ear (used a few tabs in the earlier days to figure out what was going on in certain songs). But, with keyboard, there really isn't any way around this. It's sloooooow going at the moment, but progress has definitely been made. I've been using the MuseScore app to find sheet music and have been spending a bit of time trying to decode a few bits and pieces. I've started learning "Will The Circle Be Unbroken?" as I loved the rendition of it that was in BioShock Infinite. I've made @Eenuh listen to it and it doesn't sound tooo terrible already. :D 

Kind of in awe at how people can sightread whilst playing the piano. Fucking magicians. Would love to be able to get up to that point.

I've been doing this online note identification test daily, with the aim of being able to get better with reading music. I never learned how to read music, even learning the note names and where they appear on the sheet/treble and bass staff/staves. The tricky ones for me are the ones that appear on the ledger lines. I'm determined to get better at this, but it's going to take a lot of practice. :D 

• Like 2

Decided to pop into Absolute Music today, which is only around 5 minutes away from our house. They're pretty much the biggest/best guitar place around here, so we're quite lucky to have it so close to us. 

The main reason we went was to have a look at a new bass. I have to admit that their collection/selection of basses wasn't particularly amazing, but they did have the Thunderbird IV Pro there for me to have a proper look at it. My initial impression was that the Headstock looked VERY large and quite weighty. It's the first thing I noticed and it then made me feel slightly dubious about whether or not it could be a suitable model for me. I asked one of the staff if I could have a closer look and feel of it. On closer inspection, it's actually surprisingly lighter than I expected and was a dream to play. Spent a good 15 minutes with it and enjoyed my time playing. The shape is great and it just feels nice to play, whilst also not being soooo expensive that I feel guilty. I think that this is probably the bass that I will go for, perhaps in the Summer holidays!

IMG-20190526-140153.jpg

Love the booths that they have at Absolute. You can just ask for a guitar off the shelf and they've got the rooms set up for you to just plug in and play. Although...in this case, the amp wasn't set up for me to use, so I had to just go on look and feel rather than sound quality. After watching lots of impressions online, I'm sure that this area is fine. 

Whilst we were there, another guitar also took my eye.

Image result for epiphone emperor 2 pro

An Epiphone Emperor II Pro. I initially was looking for the Sheraton, which unfortunately they didn't seem to have available for me to look at. But, this caught my eye and I asked for a closer look. Weight wise, it felt wonderful to hold, despite its bulkier size. I was impressed by the sound quality of it, so I will definitely be adding this to my list. From reading up about it, it's a perfect jazz guitar. 

A very fun day just playing around with guitars. It was so difficult to not give in to temptation! :D

Had a look at some of the Fender Telecasters up close and they are such beautiful guitars. Definitely on my list...one day! Could have walked out with about a dozen different models!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1