NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Sméagol

Overcooked 2

Just like Monster Hunter, who's getting this (and want to get in some online action)?

I'm waiting on reviews to see how this runs on the Switch and how robust the online options are. I want to know if you can play through the whole campaign in online co-op and whether it's  easy enough to set up games and join those on your friends list.

Overcooked! 2

content-2-35574-overcooked2.jpg

Review written by @Ashley

Edited by S.C.G
  • Like 1

Pretty annoyed that the physical release of this costs £10 more on Switch! Switch is ideal for it but I'd need a fourth controller to get the most out of it. I really want this, in theory it's so perfect for the platform, would go down well with my g/f's family on trips etc., but right now price - including at the most another controller and at the least one of those USB adapters - is holding me back.

9 minutes ago, Shorty said:

Pretty annoyed that the physical release of this costs £10 more on Switch! Switch is ideal for it but I'd need a fourth controller to get the most out of it. I really want this, in theory it's so perfect for the platform, would go down well with my g/f's family on trips etc., but right now price - including at the most another controller and at the least one of those USB adapters - is holding me back.

If it's any help Argos are selling it for £25 rather than the £29.99 everywhere else seems to be charging.

Good review @Ashley. Sad to read that the online is indeed held back by the Switch's online set up. :( I was tempted to pick this up but not being able to communicate with the rest of the players would no doubt lead to a very frustrating affair. Saying that, I suppose if others did happen to pick it up on here then a Discord room could be created for the banter.

I was reading the Overcooked thread on Era and they were saying that a few reviews mention that the main issue with the Switch version is the lack of voice chat. I gave NintendoLife's review a read and they said this...

New to Overcooked 2 is the inclusion of local and online wireless play, a highly requested feature that admittedly has some mixed results. Setting up a lobby and joining a game is straightforward and easy, but we ran into issues with the connectivity which bogged down the experience. Whether playing on two Switch consoles in the same room or with someone over the internet, there was noticeable lag encountered on both sides that hindered the ability to perform properly. It’s far easier to drop things or cause fires when the inputs don’t always respond as they should, and we even encountered a few times (even locally) where the connection dropped altogether.

Fortunately, voice chat is supported here, and those who choose not to use voice chat can utilize a series of in-game emotes and pre-set messages to communicate, which ensures that there’s plenty of ways to talk when playing with others. It feels a little counter to the idea of the game as a whole — part of the experience is hollering with someone next to you — but overall online play feels like a satisfying inclusion that will likely extend the game’s replayability dramatically for many players.

I mentioned that the review on here correlates with what other reviews are saying and NL seems to be the only ones who are claiming the game has voice chat. Even the official FAQ from the developers state that there's no voice chat in the Switch version.

Does Overcooked! 2 support in-game chat?
You’ll be able to communicate with team mates via in-game chat on Xbox One and PlayStation 4. Players on Steam and Nintendo Switch will need to use a third-party chat service, such as Steam voice chat, Skype or Discord.

Seems like NL may have cocked up their review.

• Thanks 1

I ended up picking this up on Xbox. I played the first on Switch with the missus, but we’ve got friends down south we like playing with. They’ve got a Switch too but the lack of voice chat is a problem. Plus the controller is better as it’s easier than using joy cons (we’ve only got one Pro Controller)

18 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I was reading the Overcooked thread on Era and they were saying that a few reviews mention that the main issue with the Switch version is the lack of voice chat. I gave NintendoLife's review a read and they said this...

I mentioned that the review on here correlates with what other reviews are saying and NL seems to be the only ones who are claiming the game has voice chat. Even the official FAQ from the developers state that there's no voice chat in the Switch version.

Seems like NL may have cocked up their review.

Looks like NL edited their review as it now mentions you need Discord which wasn't there before. Sneaky sneaky.

1 minute ago, Vileplume2000 said:

Looks like NL edited their review as it now mentions you need Discord which wasn't there before. Sneaky sneaky.

I knew they would which is why I took this snip yesterday. :p 

DkEA7ItW4AA97Oc.jpg

What with the IGN thing happening and now this, are reviewers even playing the games they write about anymore? It's getting ridiculous.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I haven't bothered with reading reviews in ages. ::shrug: I know what I like and most of the time I can gauge quite well whether I will like a game or not by watching gameplay trailers. 

I've been meaning to play this for a while now and I picked it up last week. My mate was also wanting it so that being the case we went with the PS4 version due to the lack of voice communication on the Switch version. The game is an absolute riot. It starts off so easy. You think you have complete control over the kitchen and then all of a sudden a dish catches on fire and then it's complete chaos after that. We had a couple of long sessions on the game and we ended up both getting the platinum on it. We enjoyed it so much that we quickly went and bought the DLC and then continued to play that. 

While the game is built for multiplayer I think it's more than serviceable in single player, as well. My mate got tired and went off but I kept on playing and ended up finishing the DLC off on my own. It does take a bit of getting used to controlling multiple chefs but once everything clicked I was getting dishes out left and right as if Gordon Ramsey was hurling abuse at me.

This is definitely a game I recommend picking up if you are wanting some co-op gaming with your mates but I would advise getting a version on another console if online is going to but your primary source of sessions. The game does really need communication to work and without the ability to talk on the Switch then it would be a bit of a chaotic and lesser experience without the chat option.

I'm quite tempted to pick up the first game. It has no online component to it but it's current on sale on PSN for just over a fiver and that includes all the DLC.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 10/17/2018 at 4:43 PM, Hero-of-Time said:

I'm quite tempted to pick up the first game. It has no online component to it but it's current on sale on PSN for just over a fiver and that includes all the DLC.

My best mate and I played the first game and the DLC a few weeks ago. We finished it in one night and it was such a blast, or as you put it: a riot. :D 

We screamed, cursed and laughed most of the time. Sometimes we even sat in complete silence for a couple of minutes because we were in the zone. This is one of the best co-op games I've ever played and I can't wait for the sequel to be a little cheaper.

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this