NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Ashley

What terrified you as a child?

For me it was Grimace from McDonalds.  What is it?  Why is it so purple?

The problem was I had a nightmare that my father became Grimace (narrator: in reality he became worse) and I think that was the cause of it.  It's not like I would run screaming whenever I saw it in McDonalds, but it definitely unsettled me when I saw it.

As did the end of the episode of The Simpsons where that alt. Bart & Lisa help Roger Myers Jr because all I could think is "who are they? Why did we never see them again?"

Seems I was unsettled a lot as a child.

Mice. Rats. Rodents. They still do. We had one that ran through our kitchen from the back of the house when I was a kid and it just disgusted the fuck out of me. Its tail was soooo long and the way it just ran and scuttled about freaked me out. It was the first time I had ever seen one and I still remember it pretty clearly, think I was around 7 or 8 at the time. 

When I was living away in Brighton, we had a big mouse/rat problem because the people next door were just shitheads basically and didn't clean up after themselves, so the rats would occasionally make it over to ours. We had someone come around to set up traps and one of them went off in the kitchen. I opened a cupboard down and this huuuuuge fucking rat just dropped to the floor and landed on my feet. I ran the fuck out of there instantly and, not going to lie, I think I squealed a little bit. Didn't even care. Hated it! 

Doing presentations of any kind at school, or any other public appearance / performance.

Edited by Sméagol
  • Thanks 1

When I was a kid I watched an episode of Rainbow that had Humpty Dumpty in it, which was this eerie projection of a guy’s face onto an egg. That spooked the hell out of me.

I also found the scene where the witches in the Roald Dahl ‘The Witches’ film adaptation captured the kid and turned him into a mouse pretty scary.

Many moments when playing Ecco the Dolphin for the first time...

Jumping "high in the sky" at the start, swimming past the arms of the Octopus, being dropped into the "Open Ocean" stage or just meeting the "Big Blue" for the first time.

The game generally has this very effective, unsettling and forboding atmosphere to it which not only terrified me as a child but it stuck with me years later. :shakehead

It's partly why I made myself play through it again when it got re-released on the 3DS (click the link for the review if you like) as I wanted to see how effective the game is today.

I still haven't played through the 3D version of Ecco on the Dreamcast to this day... maybe one day though, I'll take the plunge back into those dark digital waters. :blank:

• Like 1

Mice. Rats. Rodents. They still do.

Not all rodents surely?fa7ad5d5f8b10e98200875ba173743c3.jpg

This fucker from Wizbit used to give me nightmares every single time I watched the show. No idea why but I was terrified of him. 

FB_IMG_15286594484427989.jpg

• Haha 1

Dinosaurs, Season 4 Episode 6.

Baby celebrates his second birthday and goes apeshit, i.e. demonic. Scared the FUCK out of me when I was a kid. Don't think I could watch it again without being terrified even as a 28 year old man.

What terrified me as a kid?

giphy.gif

Virtually everything. Heights (still does), the dark, strangers, aliens, ghosts, The Xenomorphs from Alien, Terminators, Boglins, the list goes on.

I remember someone down the street put up a new light by their front door. I could see it through my bedroom curtains and was terrified because I didn't recognise the light and assumed it was aliens or something.

I also had a recurring dream where I climbed the centre pole of a huge circus tent to a smaller tent at the top (kind of like a crows nest on a ship). I would always fall off after having some sort of shock at the top and a clown would lunge at me during my fall. That's when I'd always wake up. Weirdly, I have never had a fear of clowns.

A vivid imagination and complete cowardice didn't do me any favours as a kid...

Edited by Goafer

12 hours ago, bob said:

giphy.gif

11 hours ago, drahkon said:

Dinosaurs, Season 4 Episode 6.

Baby celebrates his second birthday and goes apeshit, i.e. demonic. Scared the FUCK out of me when I was a kid. Don't think I could watch it again without being terrified even as a 28 year old man.

That show also had an episode where they explained they threw their elderly off a cliff because they're no longer useful and the season finale featured an apocalypse. It got dark.

I was, and still continue to be, terrified of the big things like death, the size of the universe and being pecked to death by birds.

As a child I was basically scared of everything but what kept me up at night were irrational fears like being abducted by aliens or nabbed by something under the bed. I didn't sleep properly for about a year after watching an episode of The Outer Limits with my older brothers where a little girl was snatched by sand people lurking under her bed that came back to get her brother. Watching it now it's laughably bad but as a 7 or 8 year old it was absolutely terrifying.

Just now, killthenet said:

I was, and still continue to be, terrified of the big things like death, the size of the universe and being pecked to death by birds.

I had a similar thing which I dont think was specifically the size of the universe but I used to get really freaked out while sleeping and run around the house kind of sleep walking trying to calm down saying that the numbers were too big.

Just now, Happenstance said:

I had a similar thing which I dont think was specifically the size of the universe but I used to get really freaked out while sleeping and run around the house kind of sleep walking trying to calm down saying that the numbers were too big.

Ha, I still have occasional late night panic attacks about dying which are very similar. I run out of my room and down the stairs to nowhere, the act of running sort of works it out of my system and calms me down in much the same way as your walking does. Then I just go back to trying to get to sleep soon after but the sense of terror is so acute it sticks around for a little bit. Thinking about the size of the universe or the fact that the sun will eventually swallow the earth are definitely triggers.

39 minutes ago, Ashley said:

That show also had an episode where they explained they threw their elderly off a cliff because they're no longer useful 

Yeah, I remember that one. Jesus, this show was something else. Little me should've probably skipped some of the episodes :D 

Ghosts and other supernatural things, mostly. That could really freak me out at night. On television, there was a show called "Power of the spirits"-ish where some mediums investigated haunted homes and that was really creepy - of course I know now it was fake but at the time I was a bit more gullible about these things so I could stir up some freaky thoughts.

• Thanks 1

As a very young kid, before we moved houses so I was 7 or younger, I sneakily put the tv on in my room at night when I wasn’t meant to and watched the X Files, for some reason I thought it was real. One episode in particular where this persons bed covers were pulled up in the air by a poltergeist scared the shit out of me for years, it took many years to be able to sleep without clasping the covers lol. 

The thought of eternity also made me feel sick. The fact that things go on forever, there’s no end at all. Again because I was a kid and believed in the after life and such. Eternity doesn’t concern me as much now :p 

Edited by Josh64

As a very young kid, before we moved houses so I was 7 or younger, I sneakily put the tv on in my room at night when I wasn’t meant to and watched the X Files, for some reason I thought it was real. One episode in particular where this persons bed covers were pulled up in the air by a poltergeist scared the shit out of me for years, it took many years to be able to sleep without clasping the covers lol. 

The thought of eternity also made me feel sick. The fact that things go on forever, there’s no end at all. Again because I was a kid and believed in the after life and such. Eternity doesn’t concern me as much now  
When I was 6 or 7, I watched a film where someone in a swimming pool drowned when the top surface turned to glass while they were underwater; I think it might have been Friday 13th? Either way, I was terrified that while I was sleeping the covers would smother me, and so I had to keep one arm out at all times to stop it.
  • Haha 1

Tell me that's not one of your guinea pigs.
Do you want me to lie?

On ‎01‎/‎08‎/‎2018 at 9:16 AM, bob said:

That doesn't scare me and I wouldn't run away from that, but I still don't massively like it. I would post a picture of a rat or something but...I really don't want to. Urgh. Horrible things. Whyyyyyy are they hheeeeere?!

The creepy dog head guy from this Daft Punk music video. Mostly because it resembled something I regularly saw in my nightmares.

That fucking walrus still haunts me...that damn walrus litteraly gave me nightmares as a kid >_> even now it still looks really creepy

Edited by martinist
because bigger boys told me to do it

We're at @Eenuh's house in Belgium and a huge mouse just appeared downstairs. We were planning to watch a film downstairs but I've just nope-d right out of there and we are now safely locked away in her room about to watch something cheerful there. We couldn't find it when we (Eenuh) looked for it and I'm half wondering whether it actually made it upstairs in her room and is here somewhere waiting for me. Fucking hate it, maaaaaan.

Sign in to follow this