NEurope
RedShell

Enter the Gungeon

Couldn’t find a thread for this, so figured I’d make one.

Anyway, I finally picked it up recently in the sale. This is one of those games that’s impossible to complete unless you’re a wizard or something, right? :heh: I think the furthest I’ve got is to the 3rd floor, and I’m still not sure how I even managed that. :hehe:

The worst thing is when you get absolutely no weapons at all on the first floor and then have to face a boss with the pea shooter. :laughing: 

Anyone else playing? 

• Like 1

I finally bought it during the Steam summer sale but haven't had a chance to play it properly yet with this heat. Cant turn my PC on for longer than 30 minutes without turning the room into an oven.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, RedShell said:

Anyway, I finally picked it up recently in the sale. This is one of those games that’s impossible to complete unless you’re a wizard or something, right? :heh: I think the furthest I’ve got is to the 3rd floor, and I’m still not sure how I even managed that. :hehe:

The worst thing is when you get absolutely no weapons at all on the first floor and then have to face a boss with the pea shooter. :laughing: 

Anyone else playing? 

I was considering it on sale but even at just over a fiver I ended up giving it a miss, much like I anticipate doing with the other games that have just gone on sale..

Anyone else playing? 
I have it, I've made it twice to the second floor, armed well, but first time I thought it saves automaticly and lost all next time I've turned it on.

Second time I've tried to save weapons and got killed very quickly :D.

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L21 using Tapatalk

3 minutes ago, Kounan said:

Second time I've tried to save weapons and got killed very quickly :D.

Yeah, I quickly learnt not to do that. There's just no point trying to save better weapons for the boss, when there's no guarantee you'll even reach it in the first place! :grin:

As for saving progress, I think you can only do it after defeating a boss (before proceeding to the next floor) and only with the latest enhancements they made to the game enabled (although I believe they're on by default).
I pretty much always mess up a run if I save and return to it later on though :hehe: so will probably avoid doing that as much as possible.

39 minutes ago, RedShell said:

Anyone else playing? 

I think it looks great and by all accounts it's easily worth the asking price but its a roguelike so I doubt i'll be able to enjoy it.

giphy.gif

The same goes for Dead Cells which is out soon. It looks amazing but the genre just doesn't sit well with me. 

• Angry 1

3 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Wait, why are you playing this when WarioWare is out, @RedShell? :D 

Still waiting for WarioWare to arrive, unfortunately. :blank:

• Sad 1

It's a fantastic game but 50+ hours of trying over and over the difficulty just got too annoying. Apparently the recent update is supposed to be make the game a tad less challenging though

Edited by Ronnie

22 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I think it looks great and by all accounts it's easily worth the asking price but its a roguelike so I doubt i'll be able to enjoy it.

Every time you say something like that a little part of me dies/wants to kill you.

7 minutes ago, drahkon said:

Every time you say something like that a little part of me dies/wants to kill you.

Someone go check on drahkon.

Edited by Hero-of-Time
  • Haha 3

My friend recommended this to me a while ago and said it was pretty much the best roguelike.  I was tempted but unsure, so only bought it when it was discounted the other day.

I sort of like it, but yes, it is difficult.  As strange as it sounds, I get the feeling it's not quite as hard as it seems (I've only got to the 2nd or 3rd floor as well!), or more accurately, I could get better at it.  I really want to use a Pro controller, as you have to bash L and R, and there are also moments when you have to press the left and right analogue sticks at the same time - not something I'm entirely comfortable about doing in handheld mode.

The trouble with roguelikes is that, by their very nature, they don't let you prepare.  You have to work everything out in your current run (there are no real save files, only quicksaves).  Although this game doesn't ask much strategy of you (there is no crafting on the go, for instance), it's hard to know which items are the best to collect.  The shops have also been stocking items I genuinely don't think would have been possible to afford at that point, even if I'd been saving all the money potentially available.

I might go back to it every now and then, but as with most roguelikes, I'm left hoping there will be even more updates to the game.

Edited by Grazza
  • Like 1

I've put about 35 hours into it and I was sceptical at first but after the first 10 hours, it really drew me in. Thing is, once you have saved the NPCs from the dungeon, they start doing stuff in the lobby and that can give you stronger weapons earlier in the dungeon, thus making it easier to progress. That's what really lured me in - and now I'm able to go to the fourth and fifth level almost every time. Never beat the boss of the fifth level, though, but been there a couple of times. It's difficult but keeping it cool and not being reckless (and not dodge rolling!) can get you very far.

I am going to go back to it now with the new update, it's truly a wonderful game that gives and gives if you put the effort into it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I bought this but have yet to play it. I played it with a good friend of mine and really enjoyed it, so when I I saw it 50% off with the new Dragun update it was a instabuy! > ^ < I've been really into binding of issac though but I know it'll have that same kinda feel to me!

That Save Hearts for Later is a bit useless. It doesn't carry the hearts to the next floors and thus, it only eliminates backtracking. That's a bit disappointing.

Speed up outside combat is great, though.

Now that the final "DLC" had been released a while ago, I finally gave it another go. It's awesome. The QoL changes are great, the new additions are awesome. Love it.

Still, I kind of love/hate the fact that Enter the Gungeon (and Dead Cells for that matter) got so much post-launch support. Love, because new content; hate, because the new content changed a lot. And I don't really like to play a game for a while and then have it changed this much. I've held off playing this and Dead Cells for months/years ::shrug: 

What a game. Beat the "story" for the main characters, unlocked a new Gungeoneer and lots of items.

I do love me some rogue-like entertainment. :D 

Haven't died a lot. I've won more runs than I've lost which is pretty great. The devs fined-tuned the difficulty perfectly. I remember it being borderline unfair after its release, but now it's enjoyably tough. Consumables drop more regularly, weapons/items have more synergies, enemies have been balanced but all in all it's still no easy affair. Love it.

Hmm. Perhaps I should give it another go now then. Despite having put about 40 hours into the fame, I have yet to beat it the first time. I have met the Dragon a couple of times and could consistently get to the fourth level (that is, when I didn't go for the two secret levels) but always got my ass kicked. So I just played it to unlock better gear. 

But if it has improved I may want to see if I can get through it. 

• Like 1

Currently on a run that could unlock the best Gungeoneer.

Spoiler

Kill the true boss with a certain character and immediately finish a full run with the Gungeoneer that you will unlock if you win.

That Gungeoneer's special ability is awesome:

Spoiler

One of his starting items allows him to have synergies with guns, even if you don't carry the necessary items. He's freaking strong :D 

15 hours ago, MindFreak said:

Hmm. Perhaps I should give it another go now then. Despite having put about 40 hours into the fame, I have yet to beat it the first time. I have met the Dragon a couple of times and could consistently get to the fourth level (that is, when I didn't go for the two secret levels) but always got my ass kicked. So I just played it to unlock better gear. 

But if it has improved I may want to see if I can get through it. 

Exactly the same for me, 40 hours in, seen the final boss but yet to finish the game. 

I love this game so much, easily one of the best indies on the Switch. Anyone who dismisses it for being a roguelike is missing out sadly! 

Great OST, amazing gunplay with fantastic enemies and surprisingly deep 'lore'.

I got it for about £3. If it's ever on sale again, I don't see why anyone would skip by it, certainly worth a punt, and if you end up hating it, no big loss.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, drahkon said:

Currently on a run that could unlock the best Gungeoneer.

Managed to do it. It was actually much more difficult than I thought. The Gungeoneer's final boss was very tough to beat. I only had one HP left. :D Anyway, love that character. Runs with him are out of control :D 

Now I "only" have to unlock two more Gungeoneers. I know how to do it. One is based on RNG (urgh) and the other is probably going to be very annoying.

Looks like Enter the Gungeon will be the first game in a long time that's making me go for the Platinum :peace: 

Any tips Drahkon? Would love to beat this one - its currently sitting in my big pile of unfinished games.

Any tips Drahkon? Would love to beat this one - its currently sitting in my big pile of unfinished games.
1) Git Gud.