NEurope
Julius

Football Season 2018/19

That's really sad to hear. RIP. 

Can't believe he was only 35...I always thought he was older than that. 

The lineup at the start already has more atmosphere than the entirety of the Europa League final.

I was thinking a 3-0 Liverpool victory before kick-off. Think I'll stick with that. 

Greatest Champions League Final of all time. Such drama, such quality on show!

.....god that was bad.

Congrats though Liverpool. Glad we got something from an awesome season.

Terrible match but a win is a win. The passing from both teams, especially Liverpool, was absolutely shocking. We kept just hoofing it up to Salah despite it not working countless times before. Salah was very ball greedy in the first half and I shared Mane's frustration with him.

Still, champions of Europe again! :yay:

Godawful game of football. Feel short-changed just having watched it at home, can't imagine how the Tottenham fans who travelled will be feeling. Spurs were the much better team but that early penalty killed any impetus for Liverpool to kick into gear, I think if Spurs had got an equaliser they'd have gone on and won it but they just weren't good enough in the final third.

In better news though, Aston Villa are back in the Premier League. Hopefully we can do a bit better than Fulham did last season.

Lesser of two evils winning, but oh boy, what a dire game!

Classic Spurs being Spursy, bottlers! :laughing:

Kane should never had started. The guy was a total ghost during most of this match. We were far from our best and if Spurs were more clinical we would have been in trouble.

Coutinho must be kicking himself for leaving. Left for Champions League football and since he sodded off we've reach the finals twice and win it once. :D 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Congratulations to Liverpool. Surreal that Origi is not only a Champions League winner, but a scorer in the semi-final AND the final. Fucking mental.

The final itself was dreadful, but I'm not sure how much of that was down to tactics. The players looked generally tired on both sides. They mentioned the heat during the game, which surely can't be right. 

I'm glad Origi got that second goal. It would've felt like such a shallow victory with just that early penalty.

Portugal vs Switzerland has been very entertaining so far. End to end stuff and VAR simultaneously doing penalty reviews both ends of the pitch at once.

Looks like Hazard to Real is at an initial price of £88m with add-ons up to £130m.

Gutted to see him go but wish him all the best, the Premier League won’t be as good without him, a Legend.

Edited by Kav

29 minutes ago, Kav said:

Looks like Hazard to Real is at an initial price of £88m with add-ons up to £130m.

Gutted to see him go but wish him all the best, the Premier League won’t be as good without him, a Legend.

For a player with a year left on his contract, that fee is incredible (Including the £50 mill in potential add ons), Chelsea have done well on that one. I expect Chelsea to spend big in next years transfer window.

England have completely pissed this match away. The Dutch haven't created anything of note from open play in extra time but England have gifted them two goals. It's obviously not a proper 'major' tournament but I think losing in the way they have will be a huge blow to their confidence going into the Euro's next summer.

So Sarri has gone to Juventus.

Why did we even bother hiring him?! Right manager at the wrong time.

Lampard on the way in it seems.

Watching Japan v England at the moment in the women's world cup and I'd be interested to see an inter gender tournament. Something like 5 men, 5 women and the keeper per team and see how it went.

To say I'm furious would be an understatement. Scotland 3-0 up and cruising, then they completely fell apart. The referee then ended the game prematurely despite the VAR drama taking up several minutes of stoppage time, fucking shambles on every level.

I been quite enjoying the women's world cup. I think i've watched pretty much every match that I could. It's a shame that despite BBC having the rights that a lot of the games aren't being shown on the main channels. I have to keep logging into the iPlayer or their website to catch certain games.

The VAR decision in the USA game last night was a bit of a farce, IMO. It took an age for a decision to be made and then I feel the wrong call was actually made. The player was both offside and effecting play. I'd be very surprised if the USA doesn't walk away with the trophy. They look so much stronger than all of the other teams.

As for the whole thing with the pens needing to be retaken, I think that rule needs to be looked into because it's causing some major upsets in this tournament. Although, it does highlight that most keepers have been doing this for years ( moving off their line ) and it's only now that they are having issues because people can now see what they are doing. :D 

Highlight of the tournament so far has to have been when Thailand scored. The manager's reaction was fantastic. Despite getting a hammering, that single goal meant so much to her and her team. Brilliant stuff to see.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I been quite enjoying the women's world cup. I think i've watched pretty much every match that I could. It's a shame that despite BBC having the rights that a lot of the games aren't being shown on the main channels. I have to keep logging into the iPlayer or their website to catch certain games.

The VAR decision in the USA game last night was a bit of a farce, IMO. It took an age for a decision to be made and then I feel the wrong call was actually made. The player was both offside and effecting play. I'd be very surprised if the USA doesn't walk away with the trophy. They look so much stronger than all of the other teams.

As for the whole thing with the pens needing to be retaken, I think that rule needs to be looked into because it's causing some major upsets in this tournament. Although, it does highlight that most keepers have been doing this for years ( moving off their line ) and it's only now that they are having issues because people can now see what they are doing. :D 

Highlight of the tournament so far has to have been when Thailand scored. The manager's reaction was fantastic. Despite getting a hammering, that single goal meant so much to her and her team. Brilliant stuff to see.

I only saw a little bit last night and was amazed at the offside decision. In the post-match, they highlighted another incident in one of the other games in the tournament too and it was an equally awful decision.

If a defender has to do anything at all because of the influence of an opposition player, if the player is in an offside position it should be offside.

I was a bit underwhelmed with the opening few matches in the Women's World Cup, the games were either too one sided or really dull but the drama has picked up in the last few days. Was absolutely fuming about Scotland's capitulation the other night but being a bit distanced from it I can at least admit it was incredibly entertaining for the neutral. I'm not convinced by England yet, as you say @Hero of Time the USA look far and away the best side in the tournament but they always do so that's nothing new. England have shown quality for short periods but have looked a bit tentative really, my main worry for them is in games against inferior opposition so the game against Cameroon on Sunday could spring a surprise result.

The biggest takeaway so far is what an utter farce the implementation of the new rules has been. The whole thing with goalkeepers needed to have their feet on the line during penalties wasn't trialled elsewhere (as far as I know) and has lead to some really contentious moments so far with penalties needed to be retaken. The incident in the Scotland game aside the one that went against Nigeria when their keeper didn't even touch the ball and the France player hit the post was really harsh. To implement an untested rule in a major international tournament is criminal, yet another example of the poor treatment Women's football gets from FIFA. The 2015 tournament was played exclusively on artificial pitches in Canada, that would never be allowed in a men's tournament.

Rough start for England in the second half. Justice was done with that disallowed goal though. Cameroon are lucky to have a full squad on the pitch after the disgusting challenges that went on in the first half.