NEurope
Julius

Football Season 2018/19

I can only hope the defensive changes are made this summer, if the teams swapped centre backs I'd wager Arsenal would have won comfortably and this is a team that barely survived relegation this season, the stats are damning, after having on paper the easiest run in, we are dead last in the table for the last 5 games, that is simply not good enough. The only upside is that the Europa League is still very winnable but we have to repeat the performance in Naples to make the final.

The consistency from both City and Liverpool has been frightening, for both teams to get 90+ points the fact that one of them to has to miss out on the title seems a bit unfair really. I suppose whatever happens both sets of fans will be immensely proud of their teams, win or lose they are two of the greatest sides we've seen in the Premier League. 

I would like to see Klopp and his players rewarded for their hard work but if City get through tonights match unscathed I can't see them dropping any points next weekend. Even though Liverpool take on a very good Wolves side I think both them and City will win on Sunday so Leicester are the only side I can see effecting the destination of the title. They should cause City plenty of problems with their pace on the counter attack - if City play anything like they did against United or Spurs then Leicester will get chances. Could be a very interesting evening.

As far as the Championship play offs go I'm pretty optimistic about Villa's chances. I imagine Derby will see off Leeds in the other semi final and after watching West Brom's defending today I think our full strength line up could cause them a lot of problems and Abraham is back from his shoulder injury so I'm quietly confident going into the home leg on Saturday.

@killthenet, 100% agree on Liverpool and City. The fact that Liverpool could finish second with 97 points -- which would be the third highest haul in a Premier League season, behind only Manchester City's 100 points last season, and potentially Manchester City's 98 points this season -- is astonishing. It's been a great advert for English football, and as a neutral with regards to the title race, I've absolutely loved it. Now if only we could sort out our officiating...

As a Chelsea fan, I'm slightly embarrassed that we've qualified for next season's Champions League with a game to spare. Ourselves, Spurs, Arsenal and United have been playing like team's possessed by a desire to finish in the Europa League spots for the last few weeks, and it's not like it's going to get any better for us. Our activity in the transfer market has been poor for years now, which gives me zero confidence when our best player of the last half a decade or so, Hazard, is looking to leave. And we still don't have a decent enough striker! It's barmy that we've finished in the top four, with the inconsistency of our team, it really is. Even more so when we consider that we actually started the season really well. 

Here's to hoping we can put Frankfurt to bed in the Europa League without too much hassle and lift some silverware against Arsenal in the final :p

The top four race has been really weird it doesn't feel like Chelsea or Spurs have actually earned their Champions League places, they've both just about limped over the line. Was very surprised Arsenal didn't eke out another few points considering how good their home form was and United are obviously all over the place but I fully expected them to win their last two games but that particular race seems to have just fizzled out. For how good City and Liverpool have been everyone else has been a bit rubbish really, Tottenham probably would have put up more of a fight if they had any sort of squad depth but I still don't think they would have got anywhere near the top 2. Around February I was convinced it was going to be a three way battle for the title between Spurs, City and Liverpool but their form ever since then (in the league at least) has been atrocious. 

Before Salah was ruled out of the Barca game I put their chances at about 5%, but with him and Firmino out that probably drops to about 2%. If they get an early goal it could be interesting but I think their minds will be focused on Sunday instead - especially if City drop points tonight. 

I think Tottenham can still do it against Ajax, not having Son last week really hurt their chances and they looked really flat but with him back in the side they should be able to score in Amsterdam, it's just a matter of whether they can keep Ajax out. Would expect Chelsea and Arsenal to do the job in the other competition, should make for an interesting final with Arsenal's champions league qualification on the line

You never know, Brighton could spring a surprise - they do have Glenn Murray!

Who the hell predicted Kompany would score a screamer though? Absolutely outrageous.

Edited by killthenet

Wow. 

That last goal was so good, Barcelona schooled. Nice to see Suarez's dirty tactics didn't pay off in the end.

• Like 3

Wow! :eek:

What a performance from Liverpool.

What a shithouse performance from Barca.

Football is beautiful!

• Like 1

Absolute genius from Alexander Arnold. 1-0 deficit for Spurs should be a cakewalk to overturn after this. Unbelievable match.

• Like 1

Absolutely crazy game of football. The first leg scoreline was harsh. Liverpool deserved to get something from that match, maybe they should have even won it.

But this game...fucking insane. Barcelona didn't turn up, but Liverpool were outstanding. This was completely worth it to see the look of Suarez's face. They spent more time on the ground than they did playing football, so it couldn't have happened to a nicer team. 

Can't begrudge Liverpool that. They've played amazing football all season and they were the better team over 2 legs. Well done.

• Like 1

I'm practically in tears. To turn around a 3 goal difference, without conceding ourselves, against Barcalona and without our top goal scorer and one of our best providers is nothing short of amazing. I'm so proud of the lads tonight. This is a certainly a tie for the ages and it shows that English football is a force to be reckoned with in the Champions League. Now watch us choke in the final. :p 

Also also, that corner routine.

Serves Barcelona right for switching off. I hate short corners with a passion and much prefer it when teams get quick balls into the box. That's exactly what happened here. No pissing about, just a quick, cheeky pass to a team-mate. Amazed we don't see more of that. The keeper wasn't even looking at the ball when it came in!

I dislike Barcelona, by the way.

• Like 4

Really hope Spurs can turn it around tonight and join Liverpool in the final. They're definitely capable of scoring a couple if they play to their potential, just need to make sure they don't start as badly as they did last week and let the game get away from them.

Whoever makes it through I'll be a bit torn on who I want to win it, my heart says Spurs of course but my head says both Liverpool and Ajax deserve some silverware for their fantastic teams. Either way I'm delighted I don't have to worry about Barcelona winning it ahead of any of them - would have been heart wrenching if they'd beaten Spurs (or Ajax) in the final

I hope Ajax win. Not bothered at all about it being an all-English final as it's a club competition and not England vs. the rest of the world. Ajax have a really good squad and the sad thing is that they will lose all of that talent either in this Summer's transfer window or it will be siphoned off over time. They've got great history and are a prestigious club, but they can't compete with the bank balance of the likes of Barcelona, Real Madrid and PSG. The football that they have played has been attacking, exciting and fantastic to watch. For that reason, I want them to win it this year. 

4 minutes ago, Fierce_LiNk said:

The football that they have played has been attacking, exciting and fantastic to watch. For that reason, I want them to win it this year. 

I agree, I’d like to see Ajax win the semi-final............and only the semi-final

I think Spurs just let them go 3-0 up on aggregate to try and match Liverpool's feat. 

Ajax are absurdly good though. 

Spurs have been the better team since they got their first goal back, but Ajax have also had their chances. Ziyech looks like a great player. 

Absolutely insane. The Premier League showing the rest of Europe how it's done. All English final, baby!

52 minutes ago, killthenet said:

I think Spurs just let them go 3-0 up on aggregate to try and match Liverpool's feat. 

Myself at half time. 

Went absolutely batshit when Moura's 3rd went in. Unbelievable couple of days of football. Poch in tears, Kane bounding around like he isn't even injured. Football is such an absurd sport.

Edited by killthenet

Spurs didn't look anywhere near in the game during the first half. Second half was a different story. As soon as they got the second goal, Ajax lost all of their composure and control on the game. A true sign of a young and inexperienced team, which is a shame. But, Spurs knew they had to win the game to make it to the final, which they did - so they deserve it. Moura was fantastic in the second half.

2 hours ago, killthenet said:

Called it!!

That shit was fucking crazy. Might've eclipsed the quarter final second leg against City. Right on par with last night. I literally cannot believe it. Can't believe how done for we looked after half an hour in the first leg. Can't believe how bringing on Llorente turned the game on it's head completely, Ajax could not deal with him. Can't believe Moura's third, the timing of it, the ridiculousness of the angle he had to completely perfect between two Ajax players, the keeper, the post. Can't believe we, Spurs, are in the champions league final. Bloody hell.

Just an incredible incredible season for football. Nothing brings emotions out like this game. Jesus christ.

D6ExiGwX4AEJx5q.jpg:large

Edited by dan-likes-trees
piccy
  • Like 1