NEurope
Julius

Football Season 2018/19

6 hours ago, Nicktendo said:

I made a prediction back in January that United would finish third and Arsenal fourth. Looking more and more likely with every game. Spurs falling apart, Chelsea nowhere.

Still too tight to call between the top two but I have a horrible feeling City will nick it in the final game or 2.

Chelsea nowhere..?!

If we win our game in hand we go 4th above United & Arsenal.

Edited by Kav

2 hours ago, Happenstance said:

Fucking Liverpool

It was quite a frustrating game to watch and I imagine that it drove you around the bend. Nothing much of note happened, but it wasn't quite boring. The game badly needed a goal. I think both sides could still be there right now and wouldn't be getting any clear shots off.

About time Real's luck ran out. Good result for Tottenham too, they definitely deserve to be in the last 8.

The karma of Ramos admitting he purposefully got a yellow so he could miss this game and be back for the quarters makes me all warm and fuzzy inside.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, bob said:

The karma of Ramos admitting he purposefully got a yellow so he could miss this game and be back for the quarters makes me all warm and fuzzy inside.

This is the best timeline. Couldn’t help but smile when they showed him looking on from the crowd. 

Solskjaer with a perfect Mourinho/Ferguson combo masterclass tonight, 30% possession and a late, late penalty. What a crazy game.

No word of a lie, that injury time felt like absolute torture. Felt so sick watching it! Can't believe what I just watched...how the hell did we win that game AND go through?! Amazing, amazing, amazing!

Think I woke the neighbours when Rashford scored that penalty. Could barely watch it. I love this game! :D 

I thought something dramatic might happen in Ole time... and it did. PSG will regret not buying UEFA's VAR systems now...

Hudson-Odoi needs to start more.

4 goals & 3 assists in 7 games at Stamford Bridge.

Sarri says he “needs to improve” still... how is he supposed to improve without a decent amount of game-time though?!

Gutted Loftus-Cheek isn’t 100% fit yet as he should be starting every game, he offers so much more than Barkley & Kovacic!

Very frustrating game. Our passing, decision making and shooting were all awful. But, we still looked the more dangerous team and it's a mystery how the team didn't manage to score at least one goal. I didn't think there was much in the penalty and the De Gea fault was just really odd. A bit of a hangover after last week's heroics. 

Great result for Liverpool tonight. I thought 1-1 would be the result before the game, but to come out with a victory and with that scoreline is great for them, plus City yesterday. It's a good time for English clubs in the Champions League. Would be delighted if United could get a great draw and make it through to the Semi-Finals. We'll see what happens. :D 

Anyone else watched Harry's Full English on ITV? Harry Redknapp gets a bunch of the old 90s footballers assembled into a team and tries to get them fit to play the old German legends. There's only 2 episodes and I've just watched the first one. It's absolutely hilarious and all the banter between the old players is top notch. I'll be watching the last episode after the England match.

Didn't think the United performance was that great at the weekend, but the team got the points against a potentially tricky side and are serious contenders for a top four finish. Shaw's pass for Rashford's goal was amazing. :D Loved the curve on that and watched it back around 20 times afterwards.

Wolves (away)
West Ham (home)
Everton (away)
City (home)
Chelsea (home)
Huddersfield (away)
Cardiff (home)

Not looking forward to Wolves away and City at home. The rest are all winnable...famous last words!

6 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

You’d better win against City!

Oh god, what if we win that game and Liverpool win the title as a result of it?! :o

Feel sick just thinking about it! :laughing:

• Haha 2

No idea how we got away with Azpi’s offside goal... or Rüdiger’s red-card foul that only got a yellow.

Still played shite. Sarri keeps questioning these players’ mentality but keeps playing/starting these exact same players... wonder when he’ll question his mentality in doing so when we have players in better form sat on the bench.

Great FA Cup semi-final today with 2 goals that could potentially be goal of the tournament. Here's hoping Watford can give Manchester City a run for their money now.

I was really happy with our performance last night (Utd that is). I'm still viewing everything in the context of this being a terribly put together team, with some diamonds in there. On that basis there's lots to be encouraged by.

So you've got Young who was absolutely dog shit last night. Possibly the worst performance I've ever seen from a Utd Captain. But you've got to hope we'll make a big signing at right back in the summer, and suddenly we'll be so much better.

Look at McTominay and Shaw last night and we have some stunning young talent in the team. Really looking forward to next year, when hopefully Solskjaer has got the team a lot fitter as well.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, LazyBoy said:

I was really happy with our performance last night (Utd that is). I'm still viewing everything in the context of this being a terribly put together team, with some diamonds in there. On that basis there's lots to be encouraged by.

So you've got Young who was absolutely dog shit last night. Possibly the worst performance I've ever seen from a Utd Captain. But you've got to hope we'll make a big signing at right back in the summer, and suddenly we'll be so much better.

Look at McTominay and Shaw last night and we have some stunning young talent in the team. Really looking forward to next year, when hopefully Solskjaer has got the team a lot fitter as well.

I went through about a dozen different emotions last night. The defending for the goal was terrible and I really feared that we'd go on to lose by more than we actually did. As the first half went on, I thought that the team did well to put Barcelona's defence and midfield under pressure. My personal man of the match was between McTominay and Fred, who were both awesome with their pressing and passing and never letting Barcelona settle.

But you are right about Young and a few of the others. For me, Ole brought on the right players but took off the wrong ones, too. Dalot should have been kept on and moved to right back, with Young being the one to make way. He was awful last night. We had the ball on the right hand side so many times and just needed that one great cross into the box. Young couldn't pass, couldn't tackle, couldn't defend or attack. It was really clear last night that he isn't a natural right back, so he probably deserves some slack. Maybe.

Overall, I think the result is slightly meh. We didn't do enough up top, especially with the lack of shots on target. There were so many moments where I was screaming for someone to shoot, but instead we'd pass it out to the right as normal. The team just needed to be a bit braver and take more shots on. We managed to get at them in midfield and had enough of the ball to do something with it, but just lacked a bit more.

On a side note, the referee was appalling and should have sent off Busquets after 20 minutes. Lingard got a yellow card straight after coming on for absolutely nothing. Busquets made at least 3 yellow card "tackles" in the game and should have walked. 

Agree with everything you say there. The only reason I imagine Ole kept Young on was that Dalot is worse defensively, and he didn't want to concede anymore. At 1-0 we're still in the tie. One early goal in Catalonia and suddenly it's on.

I don't know about you @Fierce_LiNk but I've been quite disappointed over the last few weeks by how quickly the good spirit amongst our (online) fans has disappeared. We need to have a little bit more faith.

2 minutes ago, LazyBoy said:

Agree with everything you say there. The only reason I imagine Ole kept Young on was that Dalot is worse defensively, and he didn't want to concede anymore. At 1-0 we're still in the tie. One early goal in Catalonia and suddenly it's on.

I don't know about you @Fierce_LiNk but I've been quite disappointed over the last few weeks by how quickly the good spirit amongst our (online) fans has disappeared. We need to have a little bit more faith.

I quite like the look of Dalot and hopefully he'll get better with more playing time. Looks quite comfortable on the ball and isn't afraid to go forward. I like to see that in a right back.

Hmm, I'd say it's a combination of things. The injuries have all seemed to arrive at once and there's been a bit of disruption with things like the internationals and cup games. The momentum has been lost a little and that's been reflected in some of the performances, which have dipped slightly. There's also been a run of tough games, especially away and you get the feeling that players are mentally tired. From reading the RedCafe forums, I think most of the fans there are quite realistic and would agree that Ole has done very well, but that the club needs work going forward. I also think the contract or transfer talk around certain players isn't helping (Herrera, De Gea, Pogba) and it has been a very long and rollercoaster season. Personally, I'm enjoying watching the games and there's never a dull moment, but I can also see that we need to go through another rework. 

You also get the odd one or two who are negative no matter what happens, and there are the ever-optimists who always believe that things will get better. Realistically, we're somewhere in the middle. The team of Ole, Carrick and Phelan looks good to me and I do think that we'll improve. Months ago, we were well out of the top 4 race and now we're in it. We still could turn the Barcelona tie around, too. So, there is a lot to be optimistic about. If we play like we did yesterday but take more shots at goal, then we can still do it. 

You post on Redcafe? Just lurk myself, it's too busy to get a proper conversation going.

I'm confident we'll do some good business in the summer, but it will be a long term project and my expectations for next year are set accordingly. The only thing I'd be really disappointed with is of we don't give young Mason Greenwood some proper time before the end of the season. Top level talent that kid.

18 minutes ago, LazyBoy said:

You post on Redcafe? Just lurk myself, it's too busy to get a proper conversation going.

I'm confident we'll do some good business in the summer, but it will be a long term project and my expectations for next year are set accordingly. The only thing I'd be really disappointed with is of we don't give young Mason Greenwood some proper time before the end of the season. Top level talent that kid.

I've toyed with the idea of getting an account there, but I just lurk and read at the moment. Biiiig forum though and quick moving, especially the match day threads.

I'm the same as you in that I see it as a long term project, too. First thing the club needs to do is work out what's going on with the current squad and which contracts are going to be renewed or not. Looks like Herrera is off, so we'll probably need to get another midfield in the summer. We're probably looking at a centre back, right back (either first choice or to contend with Dalot for the spot), centre midfield and up front. Possibly a right winger, too. Ole has his work cut out!