NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
dan-likes-trees

The Official N-Europe top #10 games of all time

3 minutes ago, Ashley said:

giphy.gif

We both know you weren't originally called Jim. 

But it has the correct initials and eveeeerything. 

1 hour ago, Ashley said:

I'm terrible at deciding favourites, except for @Rummy who is of course my favourite person named after alcohol. 

Well this is awkward...

viper.JPG

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

56 minutes ago, Fierce_LiNk said:

But it has the correct initials and eveeeerything. 

MARMDMJRB?

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, MoogleViper said:

MARMDMJRB?

I never fail to be impressed at how so many people can remember stuff like this. :laughing:

I've updated my post with a write up about each game and a few honourable mentions, it was really fun to take a trip down memory lane while I wrote a little bit about why each game is so significant to me. 

• Like 1

On 7/21/2018 at 6:31 PM, Ike said:

Not in any order:

• Sonic the Hedgehog 3 & Knuckles
  • Phantasy Star Online: Blue Burst
  • Fire Emblem: Blazing Blade
  • The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
  • Dragon Quest VIII: Journey of the Cursed King
  • Pokemon Red/Blue
  • Animal Crossing: Wild World
  • Wario Ware Twisted
  • Metroid: Zero Mission
  • Ys I & II Chronicles

But alas, an order is imperative! As they'll all be ranked 10 points for first place 1 for last. You alright with just going #1Sonic #2 phantasy star etc? 

On 7/21/2018 at 12:17 PM, Glen-i said:

First page, dude.

Thanks for thinking of me though.

Yeah ha I realised my error when I was making the post but couldn't get the tag to delete! Apologies!

No alcohol names Dan or Likes or Trees woe is me :cry:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dan-likes-trees said:

But alas, an order is imperative! As they'll all be ranked 10 points for first place 1 for last. You alright with just going #1Sonic #2 phantasy star etc? 

Oh, no I'm not ok then.

• The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
  • Dragon Quest VIII: Journey of the Cursed King
  • Fire Emblem: Blazing Blade
  • Sonic the Hedgehog 3 & Knuckles
  • Phantasy Star Online: Blue Burst
  • Pokemon Red/Blue
  • Metroid: Zero Mission
  • Animal Crossing: Wild World
  • Ys I & II Chronicles
  • Wario Ware Twisted

There we go.

• Like 2

Sorry to keep you waiting... :cool:

1. Sonic the Hedgehog 3 & Knuckles - (MD) The ultimate original Sonic game, in its ultimate form... until it gets remade using the Sonic Mania Plus engine of course. While it's no longer the most technically impressive 2D Sonic game, the experience of playing the games first seperately and then joined as originally intended was nothing short of mesmerising. Getting all of the original Chaos Emeralds and then suddenly... there's more of them?!? Then you have the amazing selection of zones... the ability to play as either Sonic, Tails and Knuckles (&Knuckles) with different routes, the incredible soundtrack and the feeling that the Megadrive was being pushed right to the edge of what was technically capable at times; all of this culminated in what would become my most played game of the Nineties and beyond.
  2. Metroid Prime - (GC) While the majority of the Metroid series is set firmly in the second dimension and is without a doubt one of the most influential series ever created, Metroid Prime took the core concept of the series and successfully transplanted it into the third dimension thanks to the talents of a previously unproven developer based in Texas and something of an intervention from Miyamoto which likely helped set them on course to deliver one of the most memorable games of its generation and easily on of the best titles available for its platform of release. Easily the most absorbing game I played on the GameCube and one of the greatest games in existence to date owing to its intense atmosphere, attention to detail and respect for the series which helped to firmly put Samus back on the map as one of the all-time greatest Nintendo characters. Ultimately though if I had to sell the game in two words, all I'd need to say is... Phendrana Drifts.
  3. Phantasy Star Online Episode I & II - (GC) Quite possibly the most amount of collective time I have put into ANY videogame is into PSO over a period of many years, it was my first online experience on the Dreamcast with the original release and version 2 but when news of the impending GameCube release of the original base game plus a brand new episode surfaced, I was destined to purchase this game on launch day. Fifteen years later, I have my GC console on my desk, with the original copy of the game in the disc tray most of the time and my memory card with my characters on never far away, just in case I ever want to play it again... this always happens after a certain period of time as the game still had a hold over me seemingly not content with the two and a half thousand hours of my life it has collectively consumed. Play it and find out why, good luck hunting for those red drops!
  4. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time - (N64) I didn't properly get into Zelda until I was around thirteen years old, despite dabbling in A Link to the Past and the original NES games, it wasn't until December 1998 that my gaming life would change forever. I'd already been playing N64 games for the best part of a year after gratefully receiving the console a family present from my late grandparents the year before. Every moment experience in this game was nothing short of pure magic, stepping out into Kokiri Forest as Young Link, going off on an incredible adventure which transcends time itself and takes you to a world which was made to be as believable as possible for its time of release. Hey! Listen! If you haven't played this game yet then you really owe it to yourself to, don't make excuses... just play it and enjoy.
  5. Panzer Dragoon Saga - (SS) Ever since fatefully picking up my original copy of this game for the princely sum of £4 complete in a second-hand shop around fifteen years ago, I have considered myself incredibly lucky enough to have enjoyed one of the most original RPG's of all time which belongs to one of the most original and boundary pushing series of its time. Panzer Dragoon Saga has everything you could want from an incredibly tight and focused RPG which rather than having you recuit a huge party, has you rely on only yourself and your dragon, who most of the time exist as one unit. Taking the innovative 360 degree flight system and incorporating it into the battle enounters was not only a stroke of genius but it's amazing to think that it all works on the original hardware, not only that but there's an impressive amount of cutscenes which help to fill out the games 4 discs but I'm really deliberately underselling it here. If you really want to experience the game then you will need to buy a copy and I would advise doing so while you still can, as for the future we can only really hope for some kind of technical miracle to come about which would allow the game to be recreated for modern platforms since the presumed loss of the original source code. Both a rarity and a gem of the gaming world which still shines brightly even today.
  6. Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door - (GC) Very few RPG's have managed to captivate me in the same way that the sequel to the original Paper Mario did when it came out, even within its own series it is still the very pinnacle for me as everything from the story, setpieces and range of characters you can recruit into your party just fit so perfectly. The battle system is so finely-tuned and it really baffles me that they saw fit to keep messing with the best part of the game for the other games which came after. What's more is that quite simply, this is an adventure worth going on, not like in some RPG's where you're just kind of "there" just for the grind, this game is one of the best packages you could ask for in the genre and it's all wrapped up with some excellent humour and a visual style which holds it all together, like the glorious piece of papercraft that it still is today.
  7. Perfect Dark - (N64) In recent years this game has been bettered by its re-release which you can experience through Rare Replay but for pure nostalgia value and all of the hype leading up to the game pre-release, you really can't beat the original N64 release of Perfect Dark for what it achieved off the back of Goldeneye at the time. It took everything from that excellent FPS template established in its spiritual prequel and simply refined it, then built upon it ten times over, taking us for what was back then seemingly pretty far into the future. Walking around the Carrington Institute for the first time which not only acted as the games main hub but was brought to life with NPC's, interactive elements and a full firing range... it was just a joy to behold. And then you pressed start, navigated through the menus and played through the main game, which had plenty of missions which differed across multiple difficulties, had plenty of unlocks and one of the best multiplayer modes in existence which was only made better with the addition of online in its later re-release. In a weird way, Pefect Dark still feels like the future while in other ways it surely either helped to shape it or even predicted some elements. Regardless of inspiration or possible real-world "coincidences" if you are to play the more modern version of the game today, you'll find a very playable and enjoyable FPS which will feel like a revelation if all you've ever played in the genre is the same tired old modern-day sequels to a certain prolific series.
  8. F-Zero GX - (GC) In the early days of the SNES it was F-Zero which really pushed the boundaries of the system with its unique graphical capabilities and intense sense of speed, this carried over into the N64 era with F-Zero X which then took the series into the polygonal dimension, gave rise to a whole host of new racers, unique crafts and had a rockin' soundtrack to boot which accompanied the even more blisteringly paced action at an incredibly impressive framerate even if it came at a cost to the overall visuals. Then the technical wizards at Amusement Vision came along and helped to deliver the most fleshed-out and technically impressive games in the series with F-Zero GX which is the home console counter-part to F-Zero AX which was released in arcades on the Triforce system which has to be one of the best collaborations in videogame company history purely for bringing this game in existence. Featuring a huge amount of cups, tracks, vehicles, a story mode, parts to collect and even an emblem editor... there really isn't anything more you could add to this already mechanically perfect game other than add some HD polish, a track editor and an online mode. Coming back again to the Switch in 2019? I most certainly hope so.
  9. Pokémon Gold/Silver Version - (GB) When the original games came out, my brother and I played them for countless hours, not stopping until obtaining all 151 critters, the whole adventure was nothing short of captivating, the trading and battling via link cable was mind-blowing (isn't technology amazing?) surely nothing could top these portable gems? Oh yes they most certainly could... Gold and Silver versions came out, the import versions were bought, all 251 critters were obtained, the game was played from start to finish through both regions and "that" battle proved to be the ultimate end game. The series only ever went on a downward spiral for me since that point until Black & White versions came out. But the G&S era for me will always have those precious memories which have outlasted my original save file.
  10. Conker's Bad Fur Day - (N64) Platformers may have come and gone over the years but Conker is surely eternal, "Long live the king!" indeed as what Rare achieved with this title is nothing short of impressive even today, now that the game has come out again as part of Rare Replay, anyone with an Xbox One really doesn't have an excuse any more... unless they really want to play it on the original hardware, in which case be prepared to pay around £100 + in order to do so. However you experience this landmark anti-platformer then just make sure you do so as you really will not regret it. Super Mario 64 is ground-breaking, Banjo-Kazooie is postively charming but Conker is unapologetically savage in its execution in more ways than one and it hits that sweet spot on the humour scale which only a British developer can truly muster in a certain way which will surely have you grinning from ear to ear as you try to find your way home through a thoroughly original and marvelous adventure which stood out back in the day and still does today for all of the right reasons.

Edited by S.C.G
  • Like 3

This was way harder than it had any right to be. There were so many games that I had to leave off the list and entries 6-10 kept changing positions or being replaced completely. Still, i'm happy with my final 10....for now. :p 

1.The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time

Di2wg_dX4AAanjR.jpg

The GOAT. I will never get tired of playing this game.  While the 3DS version is the definitive one, I will list the N64 version as my winner  ( I listed the 3DS version in the top Nintendo Game thread ) due to my love for this game stemming from that.

Getting it at launch was a magical experience. When it arrived from Department 1 I was in total shock.  I had sent them a bunch of games to trade in for Zelda ( I used to trade-in games via mail order ) but they said that because of the demand that I probably wouldn’t get the game until new year. That being the case, I had to select another game just in the event that they couldn’t secure me a copy. I think I had picked Banjo-Kazooie. Despite saying that I wouldn’t get it at launch they somehow managed to deliver it for me. When I opened the package one of my mates was there with me. I was expecting another game in its place and was totally shocked that OoT had arrived. You have to remember that this was before the internet kicked in big time and you wouldn’t be receiving emails telling you that your order was on its way.  We both erupted with joy when we found it was OoT. We had essentially became the N64 kid at that point, with both of us jumping up and down screaming our heads off.

In the lead up to the game I remember being obsessed over it. I used to work in the local paper shop early mornings, just setting up the papers for the paper lads/lasses and then serving customers. Given this was 6 in the morning you can imagine it wasn’t exactly very busy. This allowed me to just grab a gaming magazine off the shelf and sit and read. I went through every magazine that had news and previews of the game and once I had finished I would then go through them again.

The advert for the game still crack me up to this day. There was a bit of an outcry over it back then, due to the playing like a girl line, and I dread to think the outrage that would occur if something like that was used today. The music was so epic.

For me, there are very few games that live up to the hype these days, especially Zelda titles, but this was a game that surpassed all my expectations and then some.

What I love about this game is that even though it went 3D it still managed to capture that charm of ALTTP. Hyrule still had its crazy characters and it was fun to explore the open world. It was just the right size to explore in and there were so many secrets to uncover. Looking back it’s crazy to think that was a big world to run around it, although I often hate how big open worlds have gotten in games and sometimes wish for them to scale back into something like this.

When the 3DS version was announced I went absolutely nuts. Not as barmy as I had done when I originally received the N64 game but it was still a pretty crazy reaction. My favourite game was getting a handheld remake and man was it good. The graphics were cleaned up and the QoL improvements made in the game helped streamline the equipment changing processes so much.

Like ALTTP, it’s a game that holds up stupidly well and helps me remember a happier time in my life when things were much simpler, both in everyday life and in gaming. Again, like ALTTP, it’s a game that can instantly cheer me up whenever I play it, is never a chore to play and always leaves me feeling good after completing it. It’s a magical game and I don’t think it will ever be topped by anything, due to the time of when it was released and the nature of how games are in this day and age.

2. The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past

Di2wjnHXoAEvi41.jpg

I’ve gone back to this game so many times that I have honestly lost count how many times I’ve actually beaten it. It’s a game that is so easy to pick up and play and it can be knocked it out in a single sitting if you know what you are doing.

My love of this game goes back to when I had a SNES. We bought one second hand and we got a bunch of games with it. My brother was too busy playing the other games to notice A Link to the Past but I was already familiar with the series from playing Zelda and Zelda II on my friends NES and this was the game I gravitated towards the most when my brother actually let me have a go on the console.

I adored the overworld and dungeons. I spent ages just running around trying to find random things and it took me an age to collect all of the heart pieces. It was obviously before the internet was up and running, so I had to ask my friends at school about where things were and we would trade information, before running home and seeing if they were actually telling the truth.

Every time I play this game I remember certain things which I found out for myself or get transported back to my school days and remember when a certain friend told me about this and that. It’s a magical game and one that I will always pick up and play whenever I’m feeling down or just need to get out of a gaming rut.

This game still has one of my favourite endings to any game. The way it shows you all of the people who you’ve met on your travels and how each of their stories panned out was great. The music that plays is very epic and I love how it eventually slows down which then leads to the credits being rolled and featuring the amazing version of Zelda overworld music. Brilliant stuff.

3. Metal Gear Solid 3:Snake Eater

Di2wg_aW0AECR82.jpg

The Metal Gear Solid series has so many good entries to choose from but it’s Metal Gear Solid 3 that will always be my favourite. I remember watching the original E3 trailer back in 2003 when the internet was still pretty slow. It took me ages to download the trailer but it was worth it and I couldn’t stop watch it over and over again. The music, which was an amazing rendition of the MGS2 theme, and the promise of finally playing as Big Boss ( the shot of his wounded eye at the end was a dead giveaway ) had me so excited for the release of the game.

The story of in this game is absolutely fantastic and I don’t think Kojima ever bettered it. The character of the Boss is such an interesting one as is her relationship with Snake.  The final battle is beautifully done and the revelation at the end of the game had me in tears. It was such a shock and it was done so well.

While Ocelot was pretty cool in the original Metal Gear Solid, it was this game that made me fall in love with him. He was such a cocky guy but was still willing to learn from the advice that Snake gave him. The hand gesture he done throughout the game is something me and one of my mates still do to this day.

giphy.gif

Some of the boss fights in the game are crazy and the way you can defeat a few of them is pure genius. Changing your internal clock on the PS2 to essentially wait out The End was such a unique way of defeating a boss, as was essentially killing yourself when fighting The Sorrow. Both of these are certainly fights that will stick with me for the rest of my gaming life.

4. Resident Evil 2

Di2wg_cX4AAFELy.jpg

While the original Resident Evil may have got the ball rolling with making the survival horror genre popular, I think it was the sequel that really solidified the series as being something very special. The story and characters were more fleshed out than that of the original, the areas you got to explore in were more interesting and varied and the amount of content on offer was simply staggering.

The way the game allowed you to play through the game with one character, while being able to influence certain things for the other characters play through, was amazing. After finishing the game you then had scenario B to tackle which completely changed the game and also gave you different boss fights, the true ending and the original idea of what would later become Nemesis in Resident Evil 3. The way scenario B ended with Leon’s final line followed by the rock music was amazing and got me excited for what the series had in store for the future.

I’ve played through this multiple times over the years and on multiple consoles. I actually finished a play through of it this year on the Vita and I still enjoyed every minute of it, despite knowing the game like the back of my hand. I can’t wait for the remake which looks to remain faithful to the original but at the same time deliver something fresh.

5. Final Fantasy VIII

Di2wed1XsAAxOSM.jpg

This is probably the most underrated game on my list. While most gush over Final Fantasy VI and VII, it’s Final Fantasy VIII that is my favourite in the series. Yeah, the draw mechanic can be a pain for people but get to grips with, but if you learn the system well you can easily overpower your team to God-like levels very early on in the game. As someone who likes to grind and become OP in JRPGs this method appeals greatly to me.

I LOVE the character of Squall. He’s probably the one who is the most complicated in the game but also has the most growth. Being able to see him as a loner and wanting to keep people at bay so they don’t rely on him, to ultimately opening himself up and allowing people into his lives, was a fantastic journey.

The soundtrack is one of the best in the series. Man and His Machine Gun and Force Your Way are both amazing tunes and who can forget Liberi Fatali which accompanied a mind blowing opening cutscene.

I used to watch that opening cutscene over and over again when I had the demo of the game.

It still annoys me that S-E have skipped over this game for release on the PS4. We got Final Fantasy VII and then they went straight to Final Fantasy IX. I was robbed!

6. Final Fantasy X

Di2wedyWwAAm3Kc.jpg

Another Final Fantasy game made my list and this time it was the first FF entry on the PS2. There was lots of hype for this game at the time. It was the first Final Fantasy game to have voice acting in it and while it can be a little rough going back to it now, it was great at the time finally hearing the main cast of a FF speak.

This game features possibly my favourite tune out of any Final Fantasy game and that is To Zanakard. I get goosebumps every time I listen to it. I have listened to a crazy amount of variations to the song and each one of them brings the feels, even the Black Mages version which really kicks in at the 1:40 mark.

The story about sacrifice for the greater good is an interesting one but there were lots of things I missed when I originally played it. When I replayed it on the PS4 I noticed that the story had other meanings and one that really stood out to me was how religion can be manipulated to suit an agenda. As a religious person myself I found it very interesting playing through it again with this point of view and it elevated the game even higher in my eyes.

There are a few games on this list that have brought me to tears but this one was the one that had me bawling. I found the ending to be pretty powerful, what with the amazing music playing and the way the Yuna and Tidus relationship came to a close, all of it was pretty emotional for me and it ended the game in a perfect way.

7. Halo 3

Di2wedxXcAEgVDr.jpg

After the disappointment of Halo 2 ( at least the campaign mode ) I was hoping for a return to form with Halo 3 and boy did it deliver. The E3 reveal trailer is one of my favourites of all time. The voice of Cortana, the Chief showing up, the music…man, that music.  Brilliant stuff.

The campaign mode was an amazing adventure, even more so if you had 3 buddies to play it with. I remember receiving the special edition that included the Master Chief’s helmet from Play.com. I was 2-10 shift at the time and as soon as I got home I sat and played it until early hours of the morning until I had finished the game and seen the credits roll. I manage to get a few hours sleep but when I woke up I had a stomach bug. I went to work but then had to get sent home for being too ill. I went home, had a bath, went to bed for a fair few hours and then woke up ready to play once my mates had finished work at 10pm. :D

I also remember playing through the game on Legendary difficulty with Caris, Rob and I think the other person was NintenChris. Crazy to think that was over 10 years ago now and none of them are on the forums anymore. :( 

The amount of hours I must have poured into the multiplayer was insane. The maps and matchmaking were so good and it saddens me what it has become now.

Another good memory of the game was when I was chasing the last achievement I needed. It required  me to get 2 kills at once with a single shot of the Spartan Laser. This was a nightmare to get because you had to charge the shot up and its beam doesn’t have a wide range on it. I can’t remember what map it was on but I do remember taking aim at a guy and then firing the shot only for another person to jump in the path. Two for one!

I waffled on about this in a thread recently but the marketing campaign for the game has to be one of the biggest and best I have seen from any game.  Some of the adverts well REALLY well done and I don’t think anyone has done anything like them since.

8. Kingdom Hearts

Di2wedxWwAIwtoc.jpg

As someone who adores Disney and Square-Enix this game was a match made in heaven.  The trailer from E3 2002 really sold me on the game. The characters, music and worlds all looked right up my alley.

I just finished another play through of it the other month and the game still holds up. Sure, the sequels have a better camera and more interesting stories but I don’t think any of them since the original game have managed to capture the magical feeling that it brought to the table. It seems that with the first game both companies used the collaboration as a way to show off their brands but as the series went on, Kingdom Hearts kind of became its own things. Don’t get me wrong, I still LOVE the games to bits but there’s no denying it has lost that magic and feeling of simplicity that the series once started off with.

Like a lot of other Square games, this also has an amazing soundtrack. Dearly Beloved is a song I always sit and listen to on the title screen before I eventually hit the start button. Simple and Clean is another fantastic song. Sanctuary, form Kingdom Hearts II, is good but doesn’t reach the heights that Simple and Clean does and judging from the new title song from Kingdom Hearts III, it seems the original song will remain my favourite.

The cameos from various Disney villains and Final Fantasy characters had me all giddy when I originally played the game. Having Squall show up early in the game and tussle with you, fighting Cloud in the arena and then taking off Sephiroth as a post-game boss was amazing. Being able to summon the likes of Genie and Simba to aid you in battle was such a nice touch, even if summoning Tinkerbell is kinda broken.

This is another game that got me all choked up at the end. You think with it being a Disney game that it will have a happy ending but this isn’t really the case. I thought I was going to closure and everything would work out but I was denied that. Instead I got to watch friends become separated and Simple and Clean kick in at just the right time to give me a gut punch. :cry:

I LOVED the teaser you got for finishing the game 100%. It wasn’t until years later that I found out the true meaning behind it all but it was Square doing what Square done best back in the day. Delivering a hype inducing CGI trailer that had me kicking and screaming for the sequel to arrive.

Needless to say I’m super excited for the final part of the trilogy and can’t wait to see how it all plays out. Poor Aqua... :( 

9. The Last of Us

Di2wjnDX0AAiMsc.jpg

Naughty Gods. What the workers over at ND pulled off when making this is nothing short of spectacular. It’s a game that defined a generation and what’s even crazier was when the game launched. It would have been so easy for Sony and ND to push the game back and just launch it on the PS4 but instead it helped give the PS3 a final hurrah and also solidified ND as one of the best in the industry.

I’ll never forget the demo ( or the crowd reactions for that matter) from the demo back at E3 in 2012. It’s what sold the game for many people.

Going into the game I made sure that I didn’t know much about it and was blown away just by how the game actually started. It was a gut punch that I, and many other gamers, weren’t expecting but it was the perfect way to hook the player into the world and story of the game.

The relationship between Ellie and Joel was one of my favourite things about the game. Seeing Joel being cold and distance but eventually opening himself up to here and wanting to protect her was a beautiful thing to watch. The game’s end was done perfectly. While I know a lot of people would have preferred a more direct ending that granted closure, I loved the way it was left up to the player to think about if Ellie knew what had happened or not.

In terms of gameplay, I really enjoyed the stealth aspects of the game, which is something I don’t normally enjoy. Things could get very tense and every bit of scrap metal or bandages found were vital in trying to keep yourself alive. This was even more crucial when playing on the harder difficulties as enemies would hit you harder and items were few and far between.

The game really grabbed me and it’s one of those games where I encouraged my work mates to play it if they already hadn’t. One of the guys eventually got around to picking it up and he couldn’t believe that it took him so long to play such a game and thanked me for constantly hounding him to play the thing.

I usually hate watching streams/reaction videos for games but with this I ended up watching Teens React when they done a playthrough of this. It took months to get through but watching each of them discover the story and seeing how each of them reacted to the various beats in the story was a great watch. I’ve never watched anything like that since so it goes to show just how much I was into this game.

I’ll say it again, Naughty Gods

10. Phantasy Star Online

Di2wg_bW0AEcTmA.jpg

This was the game that got me into online gaming. Being able to play with my friends without having to go to their house was a revelation and we all had so many great times playing it online, despite the game not having voice chat. 

Even though I had poured countless hours into the Dreamcast version, I ended up buying the game again on the Gamecube. Me and my mates still played it online but we used to still have local gaming sessions every Friday. The Gamecube version allowed for 4 player split screen which made it a great local multiplayer game. I always remember when we all went search for the rare red drops from enemies. We had all played enough to know when an enemy was about to die and you could see each of us inching closer and closer to it in the hopes that it would drop some rare loot and we could nick it. Eventually we had to make up some rules about who could pick up what as to stop the fighting that kept occurring. :D 

Fast forward a year or two and I had picked up a Xbox and the first game I wanted was of course PSO. Being able to play this online and with voice chat was everything I had ever wanted and once again I spent a stupid amount of time playing this with friends and random people.

The opening cutscene in the game will forever remain in my heart. The music that plays during it always brings me a smile and takes me back to playing it on all 3 consoles.

It saddens me that Sega never brought the sequel out over here. Not only have they sold out the main series to mobile phones ( it just got shown the other day and it looks terrible ) but they have given the West a giant middle finger over the years in regards to getting a release of PSO2 over to us.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

@Hero-of-Time

Great list. 

That MGS3 E3 trailer...I had the exact same experience as you. The download went on and on and on...but it was worth it. :D 

Also: FFVIII and FFX :heart: 

• Like 1

Man, I'd forgotten just how great the marketing campaign was for Halo 3. That E3 trailer was amazing and then getting to sit down and play the game on release, leaving college early and getting home and popping the disc in, it was incredible. Halo 2 was a bit of a muted experience but that first play through of the campaign for 3, I took my time and just soaked it in because it really was great and brought back memories of playing the first one with my brother in co-op (though the first one will always win out for charging the elites on that one level on the ice bridge and stealing the banshees before they could get to them).

It makes me sad to see how far that franchise has fallen in recent years. ODST and Reach were phenomenal experiences and while 4 had it's moments, it was just missing that something that made Bungie's entries great. And 5 just felt like a retread of 2, which is to say not that great. I'm hoping 343 can bring it around with Infinite but nothing will ever beat the great memories that the original games created, both in single player and in the multiplayer.

I could so go for some classic Halo action right now after being reminded of that. So many great memories.

• Like 2

On 6/25/2018 at 10:08 AM, Jimbob said:

Tearaway Unfolded

Tearaway will be in my top 10, because it’s such a beautiful and simple game.  When Unfolded arrived, I saw that the game was improved upon a lot.  Few extra levels, and even more charm than before.  Easily one of the best (and severely underrated) PlayStation games created.

Super Mario 64First game I owned on the N64, first game I finished on the N64.  Never thought Mario would transition well to 3D, but it did.  Nicely thought out worlds (to a point), easily a game that has so much to show and entertain.

The Last of Us Remastered

Only played it on the PS4, but the story is just something else.  I’m not normally a fan of this genre, but I heard so much good about it that I had to play it.  What an experience it was.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Bit of a shock this has come into my top 10, as before I said it wasn’t the best Zelda.  However having bought a Switch and been able to play it more than I did on the WiiU, my opinion has changed.  This game has taken me back to the moment when I first stepped onto Hyrule Field in Ocarina of Time.  It’s a game where you’re not hand held, but can do as much or as little as you want.  It’s just brilliant.

The Witcher III

I’m not normally a fan of games of this length, but what can I say.  CDProjekt Red did good, not only with the way they handled the DLC and extra stuff.  But the way they told the finale to Geralt’s story and adventure.  The detail in the world was breath-taking, the way the world breathed was something else.   And since then, I’ve been reading (and have read) the Witcher series of books.

Metroid Prime

Picked it up on a whim, and I’m glad I did.  First stepping foot onto the drifts of Phendrana was something else.  One of my top GameCube games, and only made better with the motion controls of the Wii.

Super Mario Galaxy

First Wii game purchased with the Wii.  What an experience, it used the motion controls well.  Easily one of the best Wii games made.  It felt like experiencing Mario again for the first time.

Sonic the Hedgehog III (+ Knuckles)Easil one of, if not the best Sonic games created.  I had to include the Knuckles part as with this it was a complete game.  Longest 2D Sonic to date (I think Mania comes close to it).

Shadow of the Colossus

Like The Last of Us, I heard good things about this.  What an incredible experience, which I am so glad I did get to experience on PS4.  Controls took a little getting used to, especially controlling Arno at times.  But I was happy with the game and the music score throughout.

God of War (PS4)

Never played a God of War game before, so this was the first one.  Completely blown away with just how good it was.  Story was excellent, and no loading screens (bar if you died) between the action and the cutscenes (it confused me to begin with).   And a nice ending to the game, if I do say so myself.

Hey dawg, is this ordered 10 - 1 or 1 - 10 or neither? Could you order it if not? Could yet decide the overall top ten. Cheers!

Almost done with the big counting session. Quite close and dramatic counting them all the front-runners started to emerge. I'll start posting them in a new thread probably later in the week. Until I start to post - I'll stil allow time for any final entries!

Epic posts at the end there btw @S.C.G and @Hero-of-Time. Great choices!

• Thanks 1

Sign in to follow this