NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
dan-likes-trees

The Official N-Europe top #10 games of all time

waj1pk.png

Inspired by @Nicktendo's thread about Nintendo's best games (which he's cruely stalled on finishing up posting at #20 a few months ago!), I thought it would be fun to all chip in our top ten games on any platform and see what N-Europe lands on for it's ultimate list!

Rules below - more or less cribbed from what was settled on in the Nintendo thread..

• Each post your top ten games of all time, ranked in order (perhaps with a little explanation or pic)

• In - two weeks time? 8th July? I'll tot them up - 1 point for a game ranked #10th and 10 points for #1st, and post the ultimate ranked list of N-Europe's definitive games!

• Two titles from each franchise max!
  • Games can be from any platform / developer / publisher

Any questions aside.. Get posting!!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Oddly enough I was just working on a list of my favourite ever games for an Instagram post last week so here's mine (slightly altered from that original list):

1. Mass Effect 2
  2. Persona 4
  3. Spelunky
  4. WWF Wrestlemania 2000
  5. Animal Crossing
  6. The Witcher 3
  7. Command & Conquer: Red Alert
  8. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney
  9. Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2
  10. Minecraft

I can't be bothered to keep trying to fix this post, you can tell what my list is lol

Edited by Happenstance
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Happenstance said:

Oddly enough I was just working on a list of my favourite ever games for an Instagram post last week so here's mine (slightly altered from that original list):

I can't be bothered to keep trying to fix this post, you can tell what my list is lol

Nice list - glad you had that in your back pocket to get the ball rolling - Pro Skater 2 and Ace Attorney are great shouts! 

I'm actually playing through Mass Effect 2 on 360 at the moment just as I've never played it before and it always pops up on these sorts of lists. Definitely living up to the hype even after all this time, though maybe it seems a bit dated in the level design / enviornments - lots of grey corridory sci-fi-y places - I think KOTOR had a bit more of a sense of travelling between worlds. The characters and voice acting are all top notch - hoping some of that transfers through to Anthem - and graphically it's aged pretty well - the depth of field and grain overlays have helped a lot I think.

Edited by dan-likes-trees
  • Like 1

Mine:

1. Skies of Arcadia - Dreamcast or Gamecube
Pretty much my favourite game world. Normally, once I'm done with a story based game, I won't go back to it because I already know the story, but I keep coming back to SoA once in a while, just to spend time in the world. Great game with a real sense of adventure.

2. Sega Rally Championship - Saturn
Anyone who knows me knows that I love cars and racing games don't get better than the original Sega Rally. There's only 4 tracks and 3 cars, but I could race them all day. Went back to it recently and it just feels great, despite being over 20 years old. I still enjoy modern racing games, but I'm yet to find a game that handles as well as Sega Rally.

3. Persona 4 Golden - PS Vita
I do like my RPGs and this was my first venture into the Persona series. The gameplay wasn't the best, but the characters and story really make up for it. When I finished it, it felt like I was leaving friends behind, but I had a bunch of great memories from my time with the game. 

4. Shenmue - Dreamcast
Whilst I do struggle when going back to it, when I played this back in my teenage years it was one of the best gaming experiences I've had. It really felt like a real world, with the NPCs going about their daily routine and the world moving on with or without you. Shenmue III's announcement is easily my favourite moment in gaming, as it was such good news and completely unexpected after so long without a Shenmue game.

5. Shadow of the Colossus - PS2, PS3 and PS4
If SoA is my favourite game world, Shadow of the Colossus is a very close second. The feeling of being alone in such a beatiful, calm environment has never been matched for me. The moral ambiguity of killing the Colossi is also something that I've not seen recreated as successfully (although Nier: Automata comes close). 

6. Panzer Dragoon Saga - Saturn
The game itself is great, but it's the games rarity and my personal story with it that makes it such a cherished game for me. I played the first disc back in the 90s when it was given away with the Official Sega Saturn Magazine. I loved the game, but due to the rarity and it's ever-increasing value, it was always out of my reach. about 20 years later, I finally took the plunge and paid £170 for a copy. Having waited so long and paid so much for a single game made it a much more significant event to finally play and complete it. Maybe the unicorn status of the game boosted my perceived enjoyment of it, but to me it was like finally meeting my idol and it did not disappoint.

7. Sonic Adventure - Dreamcast
The first Dreamcast game I played and although it's a buggy mess at times and the story is a bit crap, I can still play it and enjoy it nowadays. It because a tradition of @Mike1988uk and I to race each other on it as our first game during the Extra Life events. This is mainly a nostalgia choise for me, as I do struggle to praise it as a game.

8. Persona 5 - PS4
I didn't really want to include a second Persona game on here, but I just loved 5 too much. The characters aren't as memorable as 4's, but the gameplay is a huge leap forward and the presentation is second to none. Every visual and audio choice works perfectly to create a fantastic game world and the badass feeling as you make your final approach in each palace is probably my favourite game moment of this generation so far.

9. Fallout 3 - XBox 360 and PS3
I always loved the Fallout games, but 3 made it a world I could lose myself in. In fact, I loved the post-apocalyptic setting so much that I got into Urbex (exporing derelict buildings), which in turn influenced my photography. 

10. Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2 - Various
I played this for years when it first game out and I think it was the game that started my fondness for the skater/rock/alternative style. Later THPS games added better gameplay elements, but the levels hold up and are some of my favourites of the series. The soundtrack is also my favourite licenced soundtrack of all time.

Honourable Mentions
Witcher 3
Burning Rangers
Christmas Nights
Phantasy Star Online/Universe
Project Gotham Racing 4
Metal Gear Solid 4
Red Dead Redemption
GTA:V
The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening
Nier: Automata
The Mass Effect series

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1. Super Mario Galaxy - Wii

2. Legend of Zelda - Skyward Sword - Wii

3. The Last of Us Remastered - PS4

4. Super Mario 64 - N64

5. Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D - 3DS

6. Shenmue - Dreamcast

7. Xenoblade Chronicles - Wii

8. Monster Hunter Tri - Wii

9. Goldeneye 007 - N64

10. Metal Gear Solid - Playstation

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I didn't realize you rated Skyward Sword so highly. You're dead to me. :p 

I loved that game, never wanted it to end. Complete opposite to Wind Waker.

I was one of the few who didn't have any issues with the motion controls.

I’d like to play Skyward Sword but I could only do it if we got a Switch remake where it gives you the option for normal controls.

@Nicktendo I saw your thread reaction :p

@lostmario You might be breaking the two games per franchise rule, but then it isn't terribly well defined.

This thread needs a few more replies I feel

Mine:

1) Metroid Prime 

2) Super Mario 64

3) Fallout 3

4) The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

5) Dark Souls

6) Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door

7) Super Smash Bros: Melee

8) The Last of Us

9) Super Monkey Ball

10) Resident Evil 4

Edited by dwarf
  • Like 2

Imma working on my list, but I need to ruminate on it for a while longer.

I'm the same as @bob on this one. I've got my top 15 or so and just need to work out which ones deserve to be in the top 10...and in which order.

Skyward Sword most definitely won't be there, though. :p 

1. Zelda The Wind Waker - Beautiful, timeless art style, bursting with charm

2. Zelda Breath of the Wild - Made me feel like a child again, incredible sense of exploration and adventure

3. Super Mario 3D World - Love obstacle course style Mario games, fantastic platforming

4. Darkest Dungeon - Dark, maddening, brutal and absolutely brilliant

5. Animal Crossing: New Leaf - My first ever AC game, I missed about two days in 12 months

6. Shovel Knight - Took the best parts of classic NES games and put it's own spin on it. Just brilliant

7. Pilotwings (SNES) - I play this at least once a year. Love Mode 7 graphics, especially in this

8. Mass Effect 3 - Epic

9. Super Mario World - Even though I had an NES, this game blew my mind as a kid. Still fun today

10. Tearaway Unfolded - Full of charm, loved the visuals

Honourable mentions: Inside, Super Mario Galaxy, Captain Toad Treasure Tracker, Mega Man 3, Zelda: Majora's Mask, God of War (PS4), Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle, Bubble Bobble (NES)

• Like 2

Tearaway Unfolded

Tearaway will be in my top 10, because it’s such a beautiful and simple game.  When Unfolded arrived, I saw that the game was improved upon a lot.  Few extra levels, and even more charm than before.  Easily one of the best (and severely underrated) PlayStation games created.

Super Mario 64

First game I owned on the N64, first game I finished on the N64.  Never thought Mario would transition well to 3D, but it did.  Nicely thought out worlds (to a point), easily a game that has so much to show and entertain.

The Last of Us Remastered

Only played it on the PS4, but the story is just something else.  I’m not normally a fan of this genre, but I heard so much good about it that I had to play it.  What an experience it was.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Bit of a shock this has come into my top 10, as before I said it wasn’t the best Zelda.  However having bought a Switch and been able to play it more than I did on the WiiU, my opinion has changed.  This game has taken me back to the moment when I first stepped onto Hyrule Field in Ocarina of Time.  It’s a game where you’re not hand held, but can do as much or as little as you want.  It’s just brilliant.

The Witcher III

I’m not normally a fan of games of this length, but what can I say.  CDProjekt Red did good, not only with the way they handled the DLC and extra stuff.  But the way they told the finale to Geralt’s story and adventure.  The detail in the world was breath-taking, the way the world breathed was something else.   And since then, I’ve been reading (and have read) the Witcher series of books.

Metroid Prime

Picked it up on a whim, and I’m glad I did.  First stepping foot onto the drifts of Phendrana was something else.  One of my top GameCube games, and only made better with the motion controls of the Wii.

Super Mario Galaxy

First Wii game purchased with the Wii.  What an experience, it used the motion controls well.  Easily one of the best Wii games made.  It felt like experiencing Mario again for the first time.

Sonic the Hedgehog III (+ Knuckles)

Easily one of, if not the best Sonic games created.  I had to include the Knuckles part as with this it was a complete game.  Longest 2D Sonic to date (I think Mania comes close to it).

Shadow of the Colossus

Like The Last of Us, I heard good things about this.  What an incredible experience, which I am so glad I did get to experience on PS4.  Controls took a little getting used to, especially controlling Arno at times.  But I was happy with the game and the music score throughout.

God of War (PS4)

Never played a God of War game before, so this was the first one.  Completely blown away with just how good it was.  Story was excellent, and no loading screens (bar if you died) between the action and the cutscenes (it confused me to begin with).   And a nice ending to the game, if I do say so myself.

Honorable mentions

The Mass Effect series

,The Uncharted series

, Tetris

, Gravity Rush

, Ocarina of Time

, Animal Crossing: New Leaf, Skyrim

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Fierce_LiNk said:

I'm the same as @bob on this one. I've got my top 15 or so and just need to work out which ones deserve to be in the top 10...and in which order.

Skyward Sword most definitely won't be there, though. :p 

Tbf - same as! I think I've got my top 5 down but beyond that there's a bunch of contenders..

On 6/24/2018 at 5:39 PM, dwarf said:

@Nicktendo I saw your thread reaction :p

@lostmario You might be breaking the two games per franchise rule, but then it isn't terribly well defined.

Haha sorry @Nicktendo - loved your thread! I was planning to wait till you were done but there was a few months since the last post so.. ;)

Yeah @lostmario no. 8 does rather break the 3 franchise rule - swap it for something else? Or not, I'm not too precious. I guess 2D and 3D marios are soort of separate entities..

Great lists chaps! Lot of love for Metroid Prime - I'll get that added to 'the 'great games I'm ashamed not to have played' list (longside Skies of Arcadia, Shenmue, Dark souls..). Animal crossing for unexpected charge for an overall top 5 spot?

On 6/24/2018 at 5:39 PM, dwarf said:

Oops, sorry. Completely missed that rule.

Removed Super Mario All Stars

• Like 1

1 - The Witcher 3 Wild Hunt

2 - Baldur's Gate II Shadows of Amn

3 - F-Zero GX

4 - The Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time

5 - Lylat Wars

6 - Pokemon Red

7 - Banjo Kazooie

8 - Perfect Dark

9 - Yakuza 0 

10 - Advance Wars Dual Strike

Edited by Mandalore
  • Like 2

Seems like kind of a pointless rule tbh. I mean is anybody really going to list 10 Zelda games as their top 10? Or 10 Pokémon games? Are there even 10 good Pokémon games?

2 hours ago, dan-likes-trees said:

Haha sorry @Nicktendo - loved your thread! I was planning to wait till you were done but there was a few months since the last post so.. ;)

I know, I've been awful at doing it. When I began I was working about 20 hours a week and living alone. Then I moved and didn't have home Internet and a desk for a month. Since then I've started working crazy hours and any free time I get is spent splurged in front of the Switch, barely even turn my PC on anymore. I will make another effort to get it finished as we're only 20 from the end, but it won't be any time in the next week I'm afraid :(

• Thanks 2

So, I've put together my list. There are lots of games which are near the 10 that would maybe make it in on a different day. I've chosen games that I consider to have made an impact on me in some sort of way or that have left a long-lasting impression.

Apologies for the typos or parts that make no sense. I am very tired.

1. The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt and all expansions

This is the best game that I have ever played. I love the base game and the two expansions just make the game even better. I just love every aspect of this, but the world building, characters, dialogue and sidequests are the real stand-out features for me. I would often spend hours just wandering around a field or going from village to village. It was so easy to come across new quests or find little hidden stories here and there. What's great is that each of these little quests could have been their own little stories in their own right and they all combine to make this a living and breathing world. Blood and Wine is such an excellent finale to round off this game and it was so satisfying to play through. I plan to go through this again in the summer and seriously cannot wait. :)

2. Ocarina of Time

I had a hard time judging where to place this and Majora's Mask on my list. I would love to combine the two as a double-bill, but that would just be outright cheating. This was, for most of my life, the finest videogame that I had experienced. I still remember that feeling where I made it out of Kokiri Forest and ventured into Hyrule Field for the first time. It just seemed like a whole new world had opened up before me! I loved the dungeon designs, the weapons and the great boss fights, not to mention the classic Zelda story-line that other games in the series have tried to emulate but not quite top. It was regarded as one of the best games ever for a very long time for a reason. To me, I had tears in my eyes when I completed it the first time and the game finishes on that freeze frame of Link meeting Princess Zelda again. Brilliant game. A classic and one that I am privileged to have experienced on the original hardware. 

3. Majora's Mask

Ocarina of Time was magical and Majora's Mask came in and just put its own spin on...pretty much everything. I change my mind daily about which game I prefer more, and on many days I choose Majora's Mask. I love the vibe of impending doom that the members of Clock Town seem to experience and the panic of the inhabitants of Termina (or non-panic in lots of ways) as the days progress. The game also had a very interesting take on sidequests, particularly that now-famous Kafei and Anju quest. It's awesome being able to fight and do all sorts of crazy stuff as a Zora, Goron and Deku...plus that amazing moment where you can obtain the Fierce Deity Mask, which is where my name came from. This game means a lot to me and I love the themes of desolation, loneliness and of the walls closing in. Perfect game. One of my favourites ever.

4. The Last of Us: Remastered

I played this without ever being caught up in the hype around it, due to me playing it much later. The first time I played it, I knew it was a fantastic game and I appreciated the themes found within it, the storyline, the characters and the music. But, the second time I played it...I discovered that it truly was a genre-defining masterpiece. The character development of the main characters of Joel and Ellie are expertly crafted, as well as the little touches found within the dialogue and mannerisms of its leads. There are moments within the game where I find it breath-takingly beautiful, yet there is also an ugliness of a world that has been devoured and tossed aside. One moment that will live with me forever is when I decided to "fuck stealth" and made a run for it to make it out of a dangerous area. It wasn't until later that somebody pointed out how close I was in proximity to a Bloater...and how close I came to dying. I think highly of this game and, for me, it is one of those games that does live up to the hype. Really looking forward to Part II. On a side note, this soundtrack is so good that I still listen to it very often. It's a movie-quality soundtrack. World class.

5. Overwatch

This one just really has to go in due to the amount of time spend on it and the replayability of it. Over 300 hours on this game and counting, probably even another 300 more to go. What I love about the game are its little intricacies. If you pair certain characters up, you can create some pretty unforgettable moments. Even just changing your character can feel like you are playing an entirely new game. I also love the unlockables and all of the events that have been held for this, free of charge. It always feels like you can come back for more and there is always a reason to boot this up again. This game also now features some of my favourite videogaming characters, such as Zarya, Mercy and Zenyatta. It can be very fast and disorientating at times, and there are occasions where I can't tell what the hell is going on...but I just love it. It overtakes Perfect Dark as my favourite FPS now. 

6. Bloodborne

How close I came to snapping this disc in half or returning this to the store. Those first few hours were some of the worst that I have endured as a gamer. I tried playing the game "how I thought it had to be played" and just died. Over and over again. Easily the most I've ever died in a non-multiplayer game. I died and got sent back to the same bit constantly. I could feel my blood boil. I swore profusely and loudly. I threatened to send the game back to the store (I've NEVER done this with ANY game...so this tells you how angry I was). Yet, I listened to the good people on here and I stuck with it. I ran where I could. I ran for my life! I somehow grew into the game and it all started to click. The further I got into the game, the more powerful I felt. I could take on more enemies at once, or deal more damage, or go for longer without dying. My favourite section was The Forbidden Woods. I have great memories of playing this game with The Smashing Pumpkins' Machina album playing through Spotify. I spent hours upon hours in that area, listening to that album and by the time I got to the end of the game, I was rather sad due to the incredible journey that I had been on. This game made me a better gamer and changed how I viewed games. I will now pretty much try anything and without fear. 

7. Command and Conquer: Tiberian Sun

This is a personal favourite of mine. I really dig the look of this game and the maps that you can find within it during the Skirmish mode. I have spent so many hours just pissing about on this, obtaining as many harvesters as I could and just seeing my cash go up and up and up. This one isn't just in for nostalgia, it's in there because for me, it represents a beautiful time in gaming, most notably the RTS genre. We don't get enough of these types of games anymore, especially not on consoles. The combat was fun, as was building up an incredibly designed and impossible to penetrate base. It will always be one of my favourite games and I long for a worthy successor to this sublime title. 

8. Super Smash Bros. Melee

I had no idea what I was getting into when I bought this, having never played the N64 original. Instantly, I was blown away by the amount of content within it and the pure wealth of characters and stages. Each character felt unique and had their own distinctive playstyle. What's more, the list didn't feel bloated. You had to be a very special character to make it in here. I love the speed of this game, the movement and the physics. All 3 parts combine to make a fighter with endless possibilities. The characters had weight to them, but they were still agile enough to do all sorts of crazy things. I used to play Ganondorf A LOT on this game. I enjoyed Brawl, but it seemed to lack that special something that Melee had, plus I didn't find the movement as fluid or as fun as Melee.

9. BioShock Collection

Ok, I'm kinda cheating here. But, I played all 3 as a collection on the PS4, so...I'm counting it. :p

I really LOVE the style of the first two games and the underwater dystopia that you find yourself in. It's eerie, unsettling and I just wanted to get the hell out of there. But, the third game's setting is now one of my most favourite ever. Plus, this game's opening version of "Will The Circle Be Unbroken" is a complete and utter masterpiece. This game's usage of modern day or classic pop music is absolutely stellar. Not going to spoil things, but hearing classics such as "Girls Just Wanna Have Fun" and "Everybody Wants To Rule The World" in this game...superb choices. Again, I love the interplay between the two main characters of Booker and Elizabeth. The ending in this game had my jaw dropping to the ground and the entire last 30 minutes or so were perfection. I will play all three games again in the future, but most notably Infinite. 

10. F Zero GX

I couldn't decide whether to put this or F Zero X in there instead. I played the absolute shit out of both and regard them as my favourite racers. Absolutely criminal how we have never had a follow up to this as GX really was a great template to pick up from. It's graphically beautiful, has an amazing sense of speed and the amount of things to do within this game was really great. It's fast, frantic and you know that one wrong turn can end up in failure. It's pure edge of your seat stuff and I really did think that I had the reflexes on a Jedi after a couple of hours on this. Superb racer and one of my favourite ever.

• Like 3

On 6/25/2018 at 9:14 PM, bob said:

Seems like kind of a pointless rule tbh. I mean is anybody really going to list 10 Zelda games as their top 10? Or 10 Pokémon games? Are there even 10 good Pokémon games?

Hah yeah probs, I guess it made more sense in the context of the Nintendo one where various entries from the mario / zelda series could probably make a solid top ten. It's mainly to stop me posting football manager 2003, 2009, 2011 and 2013

On 6/25/2018 at 9:30 PM, Nicktendo said:

I know, I've been awful at doing it. When I began I was working about 20 hours a week and living alone. Then I moved and didn't have home Internet and a desk for a month. Since then I've started working crazy hours and any free time I get is spent splurged in front of the Switch, barely even turn my PC on anymore. I will make another effort to get it finished as we're only 20 from the end, but it won't be any time in the next week I'm afraid :(

No worries man! Enjoy that free time! Feel free to wait until this one's posted, haha

Amazing writeup @Fierce_LiNk! No surprises for that well earned top spot! Lots of crossover in my top 5 too

Man, it was already tough narrowing down 10 Nintendo games, now I have to include the likes of Tekken, Skies of Arcadia, and Final Fantasy IX? Gonna need some time to think. I'll try to whip up something during the weekend.

So I gave this some thought, but then I realised "Wait, do I actually like any non-Nintendo game more than Skyward Sword?"

The answer is no, so here's the exact same list I posted in the other thread! Slightly edited, mind you.

Spoiler

10. The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword (Wii)

d6e26ce444f0cc48e905bb83993e6619.jpg

Definitely one of the most devisive of the Zelda series, mostly due to it's amazing controls. I, however, loved it. The combat is the high point of the whole franchise, which is pretty notorious for it's less-than-average combat. The characters are entertaining and likable, and the story actually had me well up at one point. That said, minor niggles stop it from getting higher in the list. A Wind Waker HD treatment would certainly be welcome, as long as the motion controls stay. Aiming a Bow has never felt as satisfying since. Thanks for that Wii Sports Resort.

9. Kirby Super Star Ultra (DS)

zv3hZD.gif

If someone who's never played Kirby asked me what one I'd recommend, it'd be this one. Simple to learn, easy to finish the main game. But like a true Kirby game, becomes fiendishly difficult to 100%. This remake of the SNES game introduced the True Arena. A boss rush for absolute masochists complete with an exclusive boss. Not to mention the other 3 new games for this DS bundle of awesome. Seriously, if you haven't played this or the SNES original, you fail as a Nintendo gamer.

8. Golden Sun: The Lost Age (GBA)

latest?cb=20100731171503

The second part of the Golden Sun series decided to follow up a cliffhanger with going to a completely different protaganist. A weird move, that's for sure. What follows is one of the GBA's must-have games for RPG fans. Impressive visuals, amazing soundtrack secrets galore, awesome rewards for people who finished the first game and particle effects up the wazzoo! Both games are on the WiiU, go on. Give them a go! Watch out for Djinn Storm, though. To be fair, this and the first game do kinda combine into one big game.

7. Metroid Other M (Wii)

24162859924_4ec2e928b5_o.gif

Some people play Metroid games for the exploration, some play it for the atmosphere and others play it for the story apparently? Well, those story people are stupid. I play Metroid because it's fun. And you don't get more fun than baby-fest Other M. Playing as Samus here actually makes me feel badass. Sure, it's plot is idiotic, the lava run is hilariously dumb and I'm pretty sure Adam is trying to kill you, but who cares when it's so satisfying to kill things. Also, hard mode is amazing!

6. Pokemon Black/White (DS)

tumblr_mmlry9Uo1c1qlh7rxo1_500.gif

You know how some people want a reboot of Pokemon? Well yeah, that kinda already happened. And it was amazing. Unova boasted 155 completely new Pokemon, the most the series has ever introduced, and more importantly, not a single old one showed up (Well, until you finish the game). Not even Pikachu reared its overused head here. Leading to a game of discovery we hadn't seen since the originals. Everything was new, every new area promised new Pokemon to find. And oh boy, there were some awesome Pokemon. Here's some of my favourites!

Spoiler

scrafty_by_glen_i-d7slvxn.jpg

hat__2017__by_glen_i-dayldjl.png

kasalot_by_glen_i-d7sdf8r.jpg

seismitoad_by_glen_i-d7s6ohy.jpg

excadrill_by_glen_i-dbs23td.png

I drew an Excadrill since I posted on the other thread!
Told you I'd do it.

The soundtrack is tops, the story is surprisingly good. (You're not the Champion by the time the credits roll) Screw Red/Blue, this is the greatest Pokemon game.

5. Majora's Mask (N64)

04d7c9b5b0601bd3de3c1bdbfd50df729c3f555a_hq.gif

As much as I love Skyward Sword, Majora's Mask beats it be to my favourite Zelda game, purely because of how special and unique it is. There's the strange setting, the surprisingly harsh difficulty by Zelda standards and the constant threat of the Moon slowly falling towards Termina. It's a very tense and foreboding experience. But where this game shines is the sidequests, which involve all sorts of stories about NPC's that quite frankly, put BOTW to shame. Oh, and did I mention the soundtrack? Because it's beautiful.

4. Super Smash Bros For Nintendo 3DS (3DS)

Do I really need to explain why this game is awesome? Because I shouldn't. You can pit Mario against Pikachu against Pac-Man against Link against Cloud against Bayonetta against Ryu against Mega Man. Any gamer would have positively wet themselves at that fight 10 years ago. It's amazing this game exists. And my constant weekly 8-player Smashes at my local community centre on the WiiU version stand as testament to that. 3DS has the better content though. Tough choice...

3. Mother 3 (GBA)

tumblr_mx078dc6Ib1t2frpuo1_500.gif

The sooner this game comes out in the west, the better. But this game is a flat out masterpiece. I won't go into anything due to how few people have played it, but seriously, the moment this comes out, play it.

2. Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Sky

tumblr_m6m3kcag9T1qguy4wo1_500.gif

Come on, I mean, come on. You knew this would be here. I adore this game. The story is amazing, the visuals have a wonderful charm to them, the soundtrack is god-tier and the gameplay is just the right balance of challenging, but not overly harsh. I could go on and on about the many reasons why I like this game. But we'd be here forever.

1. Pokemon Super Mystery Dungeon

maxresdefault.jpg

Take Explorers of Sky, update it with the latest (at the time) Pokemon and add in a ridiculous amount of sidequests to recruit over 750 Pokemon and you've got one hell of a game. Sure, the story isn't quite as great as Explorers of Sky (It's still pretty good), but it somehow manages to outdo it in every other aspect. It's one hell of a challenging game and is not shy of making you pay for a tiny mistake. The soundtrack is as brilliant as I've come to expect from the series, the Pokemon selection focuses on not one single game, (Something not even current Pokemon games does) and I happily burned over 200 hours into this. Believe me, I've got the Kecleon to prove it.

Honourable Mentions are Metroid: Zero Mission, Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze, Kid Icarus: Uprising and Animal Crossing: New Leaf

4 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

Stilllaughingaboutit.gif :grin: 

Can’t wait for Smash Ultimate. :hehe: 

• Haha 2

10. Borderlands

I remember getting this game to play with a mate, purely because it had local co-op, and no knowing much else about it. It turned out to be one of the best local co-op games we ever played together. The graphics, the humour, the loot, the gunplay, it was all just such good fun.

9. SSX Tricky

I played this game for many hours in my youth, trying to unlock every board and every....boarder. It was brilliant. The situation of coming into the last corner, and needing an insane jump to beat the high score; launching yourself into the air as the music and crowds quietened; managing to squeeze in a ridiculous number of physics defying tricks, and then landing it to huge cheers from the crowd. Plus, nailing a shortcut in the race mode and shooting back out onto the track marginally ahead of your rival - then punching them in the face for good measure. 

8. Sim Farm

You build a farm, you grow crops, you raise animals, you reap in money. This was like the original Stardew Valley, and probably much shitter. But i played it for hours as a kid because i didn't have any other games. Love it.

7. Assassin's Creed Brotherhood

It was between this one and Black Flag. While I love how piratey BF is, the assassin bits were fairly forgettable. This one really felt like you were wandering around Rome.....and being reeeeeally sneaky.

6. Goldeneye

Multiplayer. Slappers. Oddjob. Remote mines. Toilet. Natalya getting in the way. That soldier that looked like Nigel Bond. Brilliant.

5. Just Cause 2

I remember I downloaded the demo for this game, and couldn't stop playing it. I thought it was incredible. I couldn't believe the things you could do with it. Jump off a mountain, grapple to a helicopter, punch the guard, steal his copter, shoot a boat, grapple to a tank, attach an explosive barrel to tank, blow everything up. I did pretty much everything you could do in the demo, then bought the game on PC. I tried to play it, but ultimately my laptop couldn't run it. So I bought an Xbox 360, and bought the game again (I think this is the only game I have ever, and I refuse to use the term 'double dipped', bought twice). Then a few years later, I bought a PS4 so I could play Just Cause 3.

4. Smash Bros Melee

I loved SSB64, but this one improved on it in every way. I remember the day i bought this after school, and everyone in my year gathered round, excited to play it, but I was the only one with a Gamecube. So many hours of multiplayer fun. I bought Brawl and U, but there was something just off about them. I think they got too bloated, with too many characters. Or maybe it was because I didn't have the time to spend many hours playing multiplayer on them anymore.

3. Spider-man 2

Man this game was 'da-bomb'. Just swinging around New York City (when I went to NY a couple of years ago, I dragged my wife around the area west of Central Park trying to find a specific building I remembered from this game) was incredible, and totally recreated that feeling I had from watching the films as a young teenager. I used to just spend hours with music on in the background, swinging around, doing cool shit like spiderman, throwing baddies off tall building and stealing kids balloons.

2. Halo

This was between the first Halo and Reach. I certainly played a lot more of Reach - the multiplayer especially was amazing, but the memories I have of playing the original on my friends brick of an Xbox I remember much more fondly. We played the main story over a weekend, four of us, taking turns to play in couples co-op. Whenever one pair would die, the other would take over. We eventually completed that damn driving level at like 6 in the morning and I think we woke all his neighbours up when we finally did it. 

1. Pokemon Red

The original and the best! I fucking love this game. Suck it @Glen-i

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Honestly, I'm too happy with this list. I feel like if I did it again tomorrow, I'd have another opinion. But I think that's just natural:

10. Mega Man 2: One of the games I'm most comfortable playing, it's uncanny how good this still is, all these years later. So what if the weapons are unbalanced, the game is a joy to play, has a wild difficulty curve, and has the best soundtrack in the series.

9. Skies of Arcadia: Best traditional RPG. That this one beat FF9 in my consideration was a surprise to me too, but the game has certainly earned its place as one of the greats.

8. Tekken 5: Was struggling between this one and Soul Calibur 2, but Tekken won out in the end. It's the best traditional fighting game series on the market, and Tekken 5 was the leap that codified how it looks and plays in modern times. This is the game that cemented Tekken as the King of Iron Fist.

7. Pokémon Gold&Silver: First Nintendo game on this list, only here to spite @bob . In reality, it's here because it's the one that felt the richest for its time, as I explained in the other thread.

6. Sonic 3 & Knuckles: Legit close call between this and Sonic Mania, but I think Sonic 3 was more impressive, more ambitious for its time, as well as doing more with less. Sonic 3 is still the holy grail of high-speed platforming that others in the genre look up to.

5. Little Big Adventure 2: A robust adventure game that predates Ocarina of Time, and one that's more dear to my heart. I love this world, I love the music, the silly bits, the weird bits... And I absolutely love it when we do something that we weren't supposed to do, but the game just continues anyway. It feels so much like a world, rather than just a simulation of one.

...And my Top 4 is the same as in the other thread.

4. Legend if Zelda: Wind Waker

3. Fire Emblem: The Blazing Blade

2. Metroid Prime

1. Super Smash Bros. Melee

Really hard list to make, to be perfectly honest.

• Like 3

Sign in to follow this