NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Julius

FIFA World Cup: Russia 2018

Amazing equaliser! Croatia have looked by far the better team, so far. France's midfield hasn't got going.

Just now, Hero-of-Time said:

Not sure about that pen. 

We're having a debate about it here! :D

It's a harsh one and it's clear that the arm is coming down after Perisic is jumping. So, he's jumping and then on the downward-portion of the jump his arm is coming down and that's when it connects with the ball. So, his hand is in a natural, downward position. His arm isn't intentionally moving towards the ball, so it's not a deliberate handball. Also, I think it's Matuidi who is in front of him, possibly obscuring his view of the ball.

Yet, I'm conditioned to believing that a handball in the box usually results in a penalty. That's where the grey area is. There are hardly ever any instances where a player will "deliberately" handle the ball. A player is never, ever going to bend down and pick up the ball, or use their arm as a baseball bat to whack it away. So, in my opinion, the law is outdated and not really fit for purpose. If we follow the law, a penalty will rarely be given for handball, yet we know this not to be the case.

The ref had to go and look at it. The video refs looked at it and asked the ref to look at it and the ref had to look at it several times, so it wasn't an obvious crystal clear decision. To me, I look at that and say penalty because (unless the ball rebounds off another body part onto the hand or if the distance between player and ball is short beforehand) ball touching hand in the box usually equals penalty.

So, my answer: It's a penalty, because nobody enforces the law properly or with consistency.

• Haha 1

There's no way Croatia should be getting beat here. They've been by far the better team and are only behind due to two questionable decisions.

Kante has gone off, but I don't think it'll affect France to much today because he's looked a bit off it. A bit below his usually high standards. I can see Croatia getting another goal, but I think France will score, too. They seem to be getting all of the luck today. 

2 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Gonna be hard for Croatia to get back into this now.

There's around 30 minutes left. If Croatia can get another goal in the next 15 minutes, it's still game on. 

4 minutes ago, Fierce_LiNk said:

Lol, forget what I just said.

Unless....

What a cheeky goal. :D 

• Haha 1

I find it hard to believe that, in a country with so much football prestige, talent and quality, that Giroud is the best striker that they can find. 

It's going to be a shame if Croatia lose this game by two goals. Those first two goals for France were a joke. 

1 minute ago, Fierce_LiNk said:

It's going to be a shame if Croatia lose this game by two goals. Those first two goals for France were a joke. 

Sadly it looks like that is going to be the case. :( 

So whats the bet that the guys that ran onto the pitch earlier are currently tied to chairs being worked over?

tumblr_n45jh4Q4Qs1rir9lqo3_250.gif

The tournament is now over. :(

This has been an absolutely amazing World Cup. There were so many twists and turns, with a bunch of very memorable matches and goals. Easily one of the best football tournaments I have ever watched. Still, in terms of single matches, nothing beats the destruction of Brazil by Germany in the last World Cup. :D 

2 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

So whats the bet that the guys that ran onto the pitch earlier are currently tied to chairs being worked over?

tumblr_n45jh4Q4Qs1rir9lqo3_250.gif

A trip to the Gulag, I imagine.

France have won it! They are very good at finding ways to get through games. When you look at the opponents who they have beaten, having to beat Argentina, Uruguay, Belgium and now Croatia, I think they've earned it on merit throughout the tournament. A few dodgy refereeing decisions aside.

Well done to France for winning! Croatia played well but sadly France were just a bit better (and had some more luck on their side).

It's been a great World Cup this year. I'm not a massive football fan myself (unless Belgium are playing), but I watched almost all of the games and really enjoyed it. Some great shock results. :)

Seemed like a handball to me. He moved it in a weird way towards the ball in my opinion.

They were talking on TV about changing the rules so that literally any contact with a hand or arm is a handball, but I think that's silly. You could have people deliberately living the ball at people to get a handball and a free kick.

Personally I think they need to go the other way, only make it a handball if someone deliberately catches it picks up the ball (or like an obvious, goalkeeper-like save) Anything else is fine. Sure, you might get a few instances where someone intentionally blocks a shot or controls the ball with their arm, but does it really matter? It's better than the farce they have now where you're trying to tell if it's a deliberate action or an unnatural arm placement.

Modric with player of the tournament (Golden Ball) and Kane with the Golden Boot. Courtois wins Golden Glove. Hard to argue against Modric winning it, as he worked his arse off in each game and dragged his team to the final. Quality player. I would have gone for Varane as another player who is deserving of praise. Courtois and Lloris are both neck and neck imo and either one could have won it. 

I was too busy playing Octoling Traveler Saturday, but congrats to Belgium for 3rd place.

Apparently there was some Belgian electronics store who had a deal that they'd refund your TV if Belgium would score more than 15 goals this World Cup. Well, they did (the odss for that were very small). Their 2nd goals against England was the 16th. Apparently they were insured against such an event happening with a British insurance company.

Sign in to follow this