NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Julius

FIFA World Cup: Russia 2018

Just now, Fierce_LiNk said:

When it happened in real time and from the replay from behind, it looked like a dive to me. But, the side-on replay looked more of a penalty. So, not sure. If they've looked at it and haven't given it, even with VAR, then I guess there has to be some reason why it wasn't given. Maybe it wasn't conclusive whether the player was going down before the contact or not.
Belgium have to change it up because Brazil have all of the ball. 

Belgium look lethal on the counterattack. 

And yeah, I had the same initial reaction. It seemed like the ref was debating with the VAR team and they were describing what happened — in such an instance where description of the event is required, I do think that, going forwards (beyond the WC), referees need to really have a look at it for themselves. At the end of the day, they’re the ones who make the call, so I think a second look in such a situation could work a bit better than the process that they’ve used so far at the WC, which has been a bit messy at times.

Given that it did seem to be one angle no penalty, one angle a penalty I'm really surprised that the ref didn't go check it himself.

Just now, Julius Caesar said:

Belgium look lethal on the counterattack. 

And yeah, I had the same initial reaction. It seemed like the ref was debating with the VAR team and they were describing what happened — in such an instance where description of the event is required, I do think that, going forwards (beyond the WC), referees need to really have a look at it for themselves. At the end of the day, they’re the ones who make the call, so I think a second look in such a situation could work a bit better than the process that they’ve used so far at the WC, which has been a bit messy at times.

Yeah, I like the idea of the screen at the side of the pitch. Not really sure how they can make that bit quicker unless the ref has some kind of screen with him, like a tablet. But, that's just impractical as he/she won't be able to carry that during the game. So, I think VAR being run by a panel of refs who help to make the decision is sufficient, unless the ref then does want to check it for themselves.

Game on...what a pass! :D 

Edited by Julius Caesar

Fuck fuck fuck, De Bruyne should have taken that shot on at the other end about a minute before. Don't know why he's trying to offload it there...just the fucking shot on yourself!

Also...why no subs for Belgium? 

Meunier went down with cramp like 15 minutes ago but still hasn't been taken off. As impressive as Belgium's movement was in the first half they look exhausted now, anything could happen in the last 5 minutes of this.

Lukaku has been taken off. So, if Brazil score and the game goes to extra time, Lukaku is on the bench. Might come back to bit Martinez, that one.

Whuuuuuuuuuuuuuut?!

Never thought we could go through against Brazil! :D
That was so tense! We played shit the second half, but still somehow managed to hold on! Amazing!

Wooo! What a great game. :D

I'm not a fan of Witsel, but he played well with Fellaini in the midfield. Basically, it was like a Reinhardt/Orisa combo in Overwatch. Just shielded everything. Made a huge difference today, with Kompany playing awesomely in defence. It enabled De Bruyne to play higher up, too. The right side of defence was weak though and so many chances came from that side. 

France v Belgium has the potential to be an incredible match, I think whoever wins it will certainly be favourites for the trophy, but it's almost a case of who has the least inept manager - both Deschamps and Martinez are clearly out of their depth.

Brazil were probably unlucky not to get a penalty early on in the second half but Belgium did just enough to keep them out in the end. 

The final twenty minutes of the game were seriously intense. 17 shots for Brazil in the second half v. Belgium’s 1 says it all.

Feel a bit sorry for Brazil, especially Neymar. A lot of pressure on him going into a tournament like this, and yes there was a lot of unnecessary rolling around on the floor, but he played absolutely brilliantly after he dived in the second half.  Douglas Costa was superb too when he came on.

France v. Belgium is one of those games which could be an absolute belter of a match. Can’t wait for Tuesday :D guess we’ve got to see if we don’t mess up tomorrow against Sweden first, though... :p 

I think France will, unfortunately, beat Belgium. It'll be a close game, but I think the Japan and Brazil results and performances will start to take their toll. If Belgium beat France, I think they'll win the final as France are, imo, the hardest remaining team.

Just got home..

4 hours ago, Sméagol said:

I have no idea. Without knowing exactly what's the current situation (Happenstance mentioning a goal), I'm just going to say 2-1 for Belgium. I believe in you my southern neighbours! :D

Oh wow hey! I just pulled that one out of my ass!

Congratz Belgium! Yay!

Edit:

One more time, since it's warranted:

Edited by Sméagol

12 hours ago, Happenstance said:

I'm not miserable at all, you just need to be more clear. "It's" is not a clear enough description and I have certainly never heard the phrase said enough to be able to figure out what you meant.

:p 

I fear that we'll see boring matches today. I can only imagine Sweden and Russia defending with 11 players for the majority of time...

Anyways...my hopes:

Sweden 0 - 3 England
Croatia 2 - 1 Russia

My predictions:

Sweden 4 - 5 England (after penalties; 0 - 0 full and extra time)
Croatia 1 - 0 Russia

Why do we keep playing Sterling? Offside or not he should have done so much better with both those last attempts!

• Like 1

I've said numerous times that Sterling shouldn't be playing and this was another example of that. He's got zero confidence and I just hope these missed chances don't come back to haunt us.

Welp...first 45 minutes were boring.

Don't think the match will go into overtime. Sweden won't do much until minute 75 and then it'll be too little too late. England will probably score again when Sweden plays a little riskier.

I predicted that this will finish 2-0 and I'm sticking with that. Think England will see this out.

Great performace from the team. It was always going to be hard to break Sweden down and we done well to do so. Jordan Pickford had an absolute blinder.

With a Croatian win we'll have great semi finals coming up. :peace: 

Pickford is a good shot stopper and has had a great tournament. Only player who I thought should have done better today was Sterling, but he still carried the ball forward well and made space for others. It didn't feel like a quarter final at all though, it felt a lot close to a qualifier or group stage game. There weren't that many chances for either side.

Looking forward to seeing who the next opponents are. Think Croatia will edge it 2-1. 

Well that was a surprisingly comfortable 90 minutes. I think the only negative to take away from the performance was Sterling's lack of potency in front of goal but otherwise there were a lot of positives, especially happy that they managed to keep a clean sheet. Maguire and Henderson were fantastic and I think Alli's goal will do his confidence the world of good, although he had started to look more like his normal self in some passages of play before he scored.

Whatever happens now England have done enough for me, my expectation going into the tournament was that they would reach a QF and come out of the competition with a lot of optimism for the future with the hope of them perhaps reaching the semi finals and a slightly more realistic hope of Kane winning the golden boot. I think Flink was right that if they had lost today then the media would likely have turned on Southgate and the squad but now unless they have a horror show of a semi-final I don't think anyone can be too disappointed with England's performance in the tournament, whoever wins tonight England will either face a Croatia side filled with talent or a Russian team buoyed by defensive solidity and a fantastic home support.

It honestly feels pretty surreal to see England reach the semi finals of a major tournament, I was 2 during the 1990 World Cup so only have the vaguest of memories but I was 8 when England lost on penalties to Germany at Euro 96 and the heartbreak is still strong in the memory, especially being an Aston Villa fan with Southgate missing the crucial penalty. I look forward to whatever drama Wednesday night holds, semi finals involving England always seem to produce something spectacular.

Sign in to follow this