NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Julius

FIFA World Cup: Russia 2018

6 minutes ago, Julius Caesar said:

So does Martinez. They’re completely outnumbered in midfield — it looks like they’re playing a 3-4-3? — and thus their most creative player, De Bruyne, either isn’t getting the ball enough, or hasn’t got the options to pass it off. 

Martinez is just a fraud and I know that there were huge eyebrows raised when he got this job with these players. He's punching well above his weight. Wilmots did ok with the team, but even he was punching above his weight. They've got to actually appoint a big manager who can manage these players. Looking at the quality of the players in the squad, they need better management. There's no way this group of players should be losing 2-0 in this game, with the quality in the squad.

The formation is basically a 3-4-3, with the fullbacks pushed right up. The problem with that is that it leaves them a bit weak in centre midfield. From the goalkicks or defensive positions, the only player that can receive the ball is KDB. But, if he's the one receiving the ball from the centrebacks, then there's nobody else further up who can play those throughballs. Plus, in this system, you need the likes of Carrasco to be doing a LOT more with the ball. Belgium have had the ball in great positions, but have been shit with it in the final third, every single time.

6 minutes ago, killthenet said:

I don't think Martinez knows what he's doing at all. To leave one of the most accomplished midfielders in the Premier League on the bench in favour of playing Axel Witsel is just absurd. And Carrasco and Januzaj made the squad but Naingolan was judged to not be good enough? Ridiculous decisions.

That being said Japan have been fantastic, Sugoi!

Martinez is getting a tactical masterclass from Akira Nishino here, seriously, and Japan have been brilliant. 4-4-2 is perfect for taking on a 3-4-3, seeing as the two strikers can take it in turns, or come back together, to come back on themselves and outnumber Belgium’s two midfielders in the middle of the park. Playing with such high pressure against a three-man defence is also an excellent decision.

EDIT: @Fierce_LiNk, completely agree. I just don’t know how he’s managed to get it this wrong. But they’ve got one back as I type this...

Edited by Julius Caesar

Come the fuck on! Amazing goal from Vertonghen. I think they'll get another one. But why did they need to go 1 or 2 down before they started to play?!

That goal was a complete fluke... don't know if they can get another one as they are just not good enough right now. They can't get the ball or keep it when they do get it.

2-2! Fuck the Fellaini haters, I like the guy. :D

Belgium have absolutely zero control of the ball in midfield. On the balance of the game, a draw at this point in time is fair, but Japan are unlucky to have conceded 2 goals in this second half.

Japan's keeper could have done better with both goals. Martinez's decision to go route one has definitely paid off.

3 minutes ago, killthenet said:

Japan's keeper could have done better with both goals. Martinez's decision to go route one has definitely paid off.

Lol, I was shouting for the ball to get pumped into the box in the first half. Belgium have a lot of tall players and they have a huge height advantage. Just seems like common sense to me. No need to piss about with short corners. Just get the ball in the box and let the attackers do the rest. 

EDIT: On second thoughts, just give me the damn Belgium job!

2 minutes ago, bob said:

Go Japan!

Yes, go home Japan! :p

I like the look of Japan, but it's a shame they just happen to be against Belgium. Can we trade them for Croatia?

Yessssssssss!!!! :D

No way we can beat Brazil, but at least we got this far haha.

I just knew it when Honda took that corner that they would go up the other end and score. Japan were too optimistic at the end, should have settled for extra time.

What a goal! Amazing counter-attack! I can't believe they won that!

Massive praise for Japan, though. They were amazing, particularly in that second half. Kagawa was the best player on the pitch for me and he absolutely bossed that midfield. Gutted that it never worked out for him at United. I think had he been there a few years earlier, then Fergie would have got more out of him. Love the guy.

Unlucky, Japan. Gutted for them. But, happy that Belgium came through. What a game!

Heartbroken for Japan. I was rooting for them so hard! Belgium did good, but damn...

Manlytears2.jpg

You did well, Japan. Be proud.

• Like 2

First half kind of sucked, but the second half had it all. Martinez’ tactics were still completely wrong, and he was fortunate that the subs had such an impact given just how well Japan had contained them up to that point. All I’m going to say is that there’s no way Belgium will be able to shackle Brazil with the 3-4-3 that they were running today :p 

This has been one hell of a World Cup so far, and the Round of 16 has been to this point too. And off the pitch, I can’t recall there being any troubles, and by all means it looks like it’s going great, and the atmosphere almost like a festival. Going into this, I have to admit that I was a bit worried that Russia might cause a stir like they did with Poland back in Euro 2012, but they’ve been superb hosts to this point.

Here’s hoping that the lads do us proud tomorrow against Colombia to continue the warm feeling around this World Cup :D 

Yeah, the first half was timid. But, my god, that second half made up for it. It was really dramatic! I was sure Belgium were going out and didn't see them coming back to overturn it the way that they did. The third goal was absolute class. One of the best goals of the tournament. Another fantastic game in this tournament! 
I think Martinez is going to have to do something different against Brazil. They'll rip that midfield and defence apart if they don't.

Fifa General Director Priscilla Janssens tweeted a picture of Japan's spotless dressing room and there was a note from the team in Russian which read "thank you".

Janssens wrote: "This is the Japanese dressing room after losing to Belgium in the 94' minute.

This is the Japanese dressingroom after losing to Belgium in the 94’ minute. Thanked their fans in the stadium, cleaned up everything (bench and dressingroom) and spoke to media. Even left note with ‘thank you’ in Russian. What an example for all teams!! Privilege to work with! 

— Priscilla Janssens 

"Thanked their fans in the stadium, cleaned up everything (bench and dressing room) and spoke to media. Even left note with 'thank you' in Russian. What an example for all teams!! Privilege to work with!" 

Japan fans were applauded for helping to clean up the Mordovia Arena earlier in the tournament following their 2-1 win over Colombia in Saransk.

Absolute class act. I'm still gutted that they didn't go through. :( 

• Like 2

Will probably miss the first half of tonight's match :(

Hope nothing happens until I get back :p

Think that's a better result for us. Switzerland tidier style of play would be harder for England to break down.

Colombia > Sweden > Russia > Belgium > it's coming home!

I think Rodriguez not being fit might be a blessing in disguise for Colombia. They are a decent team anyway but his absence could galvanize them and motivate them towards victory.

I really don't know what to expect from this game, both teams have done well from set pieces so you'd think they would play a huge part in how the match unfolds. England haven't really been tested defensively from set pieces so far but I think that could be a real weakness for them.

Very average first half. We've had a couple of chances but nothing clear cut. 

I'm baffled why Alli and Sterling keep starting. Both aren't performing at all. Get Vardy and Loftus on!

Sign in to follow this