NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Julius

FIFA World Cup: Russia 2018

Bah, Peru have France in their next game. Guess they'll be going out at the group stages.

I've said it once, but I'll say it again. Come on, Iran!

1 hour ago, Fierce_LiNk said:

This is what Correio da Manha (Portugese news outlet) wrote about Ronaldo :

Bluddy hell, calm down. :laughing:

There's a typo there: I believe you meant "glorified tabloid".

I don't read Correio da Manhã, but I can imagine that article was meant to be sarcastic. They've been famous for badmouthing Cristiano Ronaldo for years, now (remember when he threw one of their mics into the water last Euro? He did that because CM ran an article attacking his late father the day before), and they're unprofessional enough to do an overly sarcastic evaluation of him.

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, Fierce_LiNk said:

I wouldn't mind that, Iran are my only sweepstake pick who look like they're going to be of any use, at the moment.

I was lucky enough to get Portugal so, although I was already, I'm in full CR7 mode for this World Cup 😍

Peru's creativity was brilliant, just lacked the final touch, if Ronaldo or Messi had tried the back heel like Guerrero did...

Just now, Jonnas said:

There's a typo there: I believe you meant "glorified tabloid".

I don't read Correio da Manhã, but I can imagine that article was meant to be sarcastic. They've been famous for badmouthing Cristiano Ronaldo for years, now (remember when he threw one of their mics into the water last Euro? He did that because CM ran an article attacking his late father the day before), and they're unprofessional enough to do an overly sarcastic evaluation of him.

No idea about them. I've never heard of them, but I found the quote in a link from this BBC article.

• Like 1

Just now, Kaepora_Gaebora said:

I was lucky enough to get Portugal so, although I was already, I'm in full CR7 mode for this World Cup 😍

Peru's creativity was brilliant, just lacked the final touch, if Ronaldo or Messi had tried the back heel like Guerrero did...

Messi would have missed and Ronaldo would have had his shirt off..

1 minute ago, Fierce_LiNk said:

No idea about them. I've never heard of them, but I found the quote in a link from this BBC article.

It's cool, I was just providing some context to the quote.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Once again proving that he's inferior to Ronaldo. :D 

Well, I don’t know about that.

Is Ronaldo currently playing better than Messi? I could agree with that. But to say he’s inferior? Don’t be daft :p we’ll hopefully have to wait a good few more years until they’ve both retired before we can even start fairly comparing them; they’ve peaked at completely different times (so I feel like there’s a bit of recency bias going on), and they’re both very different players, playing the game in a very different way. That said, I think they’re both great examples for the sporting world and anyone who follows/participates in sport in general.

Unless it comes to paying taxes :laughing:

Edited by Julius Caesar

I'll never think Messi is better than Ronaldo. Ronaldo has proven himself in both the Premier League and abroad and is a leader who can drag his team to success in international games. Messi has done neither of these things. Plus, I generally just dislike the guy.

21 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I'll never think Messi is better than Ronaldo. Ronaldo has proven himself in both the Premier League and abroad and is a leader who can drag his team to success in international games. Messi has done neither of these things. Plus, I generally just dislike the guy.

Well, that’s fair enough. I can respect your opinion, and to be clear, I think they’re equally great. At best, I could probably bring myself to say things like “Messi was better than Ronaldo in the 2011/2012 season”, or that “Ronaldo was better than Messi in the 2017/2018 season”.

I don’t think that comparing the number of leagues that they’ve proven themselves in is a fair way to make such a comparison, because Messi was pretty much always going to stay at Barça for as long as he could after all that they did for him to allow him to live out his dream. Ronaldo fits so well as a leader for the Portugal national team because the rest of the squad is fairly shaky, they’re often considered underdogs against the big national teams, his manager is relaxed about him controlling the dressing room, and thus he can improve all of their performances with his own leadership and determination. He also plays as an out-and-out striker these days, which is completely different to Messi’s role, hence why one can be seen as having a relatively larger impact on the international stage than the other. I definitely don’t think that saying “Ronaldo has won the Prem and an international trophy whereas Messi hasn’t” makes him better than Messi — by the same argument, Messi has won two Champions League/domestic league/major domestic cup trebles. How many has Ronaldo won again?

Ronaldo being a leader is a plus for him, but it’s not a minus for Messi — some people just aren’t born to be leaders, and while others can grow into the role, he just hasn’t. You don’t have to be a leader to be one of the greatest footballers, and maybe that just says more about his relatively conservative personality. I would agree with you if you were to suggest that he shouldn’t be captain of Argentina, because it just doesn’t suit his playing style and adds much more pressure to his game. 

I’m not quite sure what he did to make you generally dislike him, but I’ll bite: why do you generally dislike him?

15 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

He's a tosser. Nuff said.

This Croatia match is boring as hell. No real flair to it. :( 

Well...not really, but okay :p 

As for the Croatia match, tomorrow evening’s double billing of Germany v. Mexico and Brazil v. Switzerland should more than make up for it :D 

2-0 to Croatia now. They've played alright, but the game is a bit of a dud. Should go some way to helping them get through the group stages, though.

Bit nuts how many pens have been given so far. You'd think players would be a tad more careful what with VAR being used. The pen given away in this match was disgusting. How can a player complain when he was practically bear hugging the opposition?

Nigeria making stupid decisions in the final third/box, which is stopping them captilasing on some good play.

To wade into the Ronaldo/Messi debate, I think I prefer Ronaldo because he's "man made" if that makes sense? Messi is just clearly naturally gifted, whereas Ronaldo has made himself the player he is.

What a contrast seeing Ronaldo walk out smiling, singing the anthem with passion etc last night and enjoying his game...Messi looked like he had the weight of the world on his shoulders, you could see he wasn't confident before that penalty and, frankly, it was dreadful! 

Hate to just sound like I'm agreeing but... Unless Messi does the same at another club, history will look back kinder on Ronaldo. Always makes me smile ruefully to think Rooney was once the world class player in the team and Ronaldo just the lad who did step overs. For all Rooney's records with Utd and England, if only he'd had the mental drive like Ronaldo.

Edited by Kaepora_Gaebora

The stories about Ronaldo and his dedication in training are fantastic. It sounds like he learned a lot from Sir Alex and other important players who were at the club in his early years, like Scholes, Keane, Giggs, Neville, etc. There are tons of stories about how he'd be the last off the training pitch or how he'd be in the gym constantly to either improve his fitness or physique. He was shite at times in his early years and couldn't cross, wouldn't pass, would keep the ball for too long or would try and do it all himself. He was an absolute pain in the arse and I wasn't sure if he would ever turn out ok...I could never have dreamt that he would turn out the way he has! He should be regarded as the epitome in sporting term of what hard work, dedication and commitment can lead to if you are willing to learn. 

Easily one of the best players, if not the best, that I've seen at United in my time. Admittedly, I'm not old enough to fully appreciate the holy trinity of Best, Law and Charlton. But, he's certainly the best in this generation of United/former United players. He's become even better after joining Madrid and his records are insane. He's nearly scored 600 club career goals! An absolute freak of nature.

• Like 1

Just now, Fierce_LiNk said:

What a freekick from Serbia! :o 

Yup. I screamed my head off. :D 

Deserved as well because Serbia have been on top most of the game.

Just now, Hero-of-Time said:

Yup. I screamed my head off. :D 

Deserved as well because Serbia have been on top most of the game.

@Eenuh is skyping with her mum, so I could only muffle my excitement. Terrific free kick. :D 

Quite like the look of Serbia. Wouldn't really like to play against them.

Blistering, end-to-end start to the Germany v. Mexico game. This should be a good one :D 

Cracking goal and you can't say it hasn't been coming. I think Mexico have been the better team in the first half hour.

Really enjoying this game! Unlucky for Germany to hit the bar with that free kick. Hope Mexico can get another one!

Happy to see that we are on top of our game. Impeccable performance.

GLvw.gif

11 minutes ago, Fierce_LiNk said:

Really enjoying this game! Unlucky for Germany to hit the bar with that free kick. Hope Mexico can get another one!

Mexico have been great so far :hehe:

They've made the wrong decision in attack a couple of times or they could be further ahead!

Sign in to follow this