NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Julius

FIFA World Cup: Russia 2018

Figured this might need its own thread?

I’ll update this post later on with some relevant facts and information, but for now, I’m going to go watch Portugal v. Spain :p 

Edited by Julius Caesar
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Blistering start by Portugal, well deserved penalty (and rightly called). Long way back for Spain - they look like they haven’t even woken up yet.

Didn't catch our first goal (only arrived home at around the 15 min mark), but the game's been pretty good so far. Portugal's been surprisingly good at passing, but it feels like our defense has been depending on luck a tad too much.

Weirdly enough, I did catch the ending to the Morocco/Iran game. Iran's my underdog of choice for this tournament, but I felt pretty bad for the Moroccans there. I hear Iran couldn't hit the net during the whole game, and then they win via own goal? Ooph...

What an excellent first half, with some great end-to-end stuff. This is why it’s called the beautiful game :bowdown: hopefully more of the same for the next 45’ :D 

21 minutes ago, drahkon said:

How is that not a foul?

VAR not off to good start...

I think it could have gone either way, to be honest. I don’t think it was intentional by Costa, and I think he might have (wrongly) assumed that Pepe was actually going to fight for the ball and jump for it, hence why he was leaning into him, but instead Pepe planted his feet to the floor. Really doesn’t help the referees that of all players this was Pepe, just given his history when it comes to trying to win fouls like this, and he really should have got up. He had a chance to help defend, but he stayed down instead.

Either way, it was an excellent piece of skill by Costa to find the space to get a shot off. Quick mention for Isco, too, because he has been dynamite so far in this game, I always love watching him.

Perfectly executed free kick from Spain. You can tell they’ve tried that one a few times on the training ground :p 

THUNDERBOLT! 

First big matchup of the World Cup is delivering on every level possible. Cracking game :D 

Edited by Julius Caesar

This game has had it all. What a beautiful free kick - made even more amazing seeing as it’s very rare for Ronaldo to bend it like that.

That’s as many goals in one 2018 World Cup game for Ronaldo as he managed to score in all three of his previous World Cup campaigns combined. He only managed one goal in each of his previous three World Cup campaigns. 

Edited by Julius Caesar

He's an absolute legend. Love him to bits. Ronaldo>>>>Messi everyday of the week and twice on Sundays.

• Like 3

Absolutely incredible. Ronaldo's a beast.

What a game.

Iran is now leading Group B. :D Could be an interesting group.

Holy shit, my heart... We managed to hold on.

Super happy with the game. Spain has a way of bringing the best in our team, so even we lose or tie, I'm usually satisfied with the performance. Even if Ronaldo shone more than the others this time, this was a fantastic game.

Well, ok, truth be told, I'm not satisfied with that kid Guedes. He made a few blunders.

Not to disrespect Morocco or Iran, but if Ronaldo has bagged three against Spain, he could have the golden boot sewn up by the end of the group stages, possibly even beating Klose's all time tournament haul too if he's in this sort of mood!

That was the best group game I can ever remember seeing, possibly one of the best ever, at a WC, ignited the tournament!!

VAR made the correct choice. This is how it's supposed to be.
Fans in the stadium were able to see it and calmed down relatively quickly. A step in the right direction.

Still...not a deserved lead for France...they haven't really been on top.

Edit: And there's the equalizer :D The World Cup is off to a great start :peace:

Edited by drahkon

I was soooo tired yesterday and am annoyed with myself that I couldn't fully appreciate the Portugal/Spain game. It was an amazing match, great intent from both sides and it had virtually everything to make it a classic. Plus, Ronaldo. :D

The France/Australia match right now was also fantastic. Happy with how VAR was used. It was quick, the correct decision was made and it seemed obvious to everyone what was going on. This is VAR done right. I'll happily accept this.

Not sure what Umtiti was doing for the handball that led to Australia's penalty. Really stupid moment from him. I thought a draw would be a fair result, but Australia clearly tired towards the end, especially in the last 10 minutes. It's a shame for them that they couldn't get a point from them, and I struggle to see how they're going to score goals in their next two games. I liked how they played the ball out from the back and they kept control of it in midfield, but there's not enough urgency about getting players into the box or pumping the ball in there. 

France should have done a lot better, but I expect they'll improve as the tournament goes on. Should be potential finalists, although not on this performance.

Ahh, I'm torn. I've got Argentina, Iran and Peru in my sweepstake at work. Argentina and Iceland are playing together. My heart says Iceland, but Argentina are my best chance in the sweepstake. Hmmm.

COME ON, IRAN!

I freaking love Iceland. What a gutsy performance and what an amazing save from their keeper.

I had a good laugh at Messi missing the pen. Once again proving that he's inferior to Ronaldo. :D 

Edited by Hero-of-Time
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I freaking love Iceland. What a gutsy performance and what an amazing save from their keeper.

I had a good laugh at Messi missing the pen. Once again proving that he's inferior to Ronaldo. :D 

Watching Iceland at the World Cup makes it all the more heartbreaking for Northern Ireland not to have qualified.

I'd love to have seen us there :hmm:

This is what Correio da Manha (Portugese news outlet) wrote about Ronaldo :

"It is not enough to call him king. This Ronaldo of Russia reaches the dimension of God. A giant among small creatures fearful of their gifts, powers and moods. This game with Spain puts Ronaldo on the highest altar of this global religion. Ronaldo achieved immortality."

Bluddy hell, calm down. :laughing:

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Fierce_LiNk said:

Fuck sake, Peru! That was a terrible penalty! 

Yup. He absolutely skied it.

1 hour ago, Fierce_LiNk said:

This is what Correio da Manha (Portugese news outlet) wrote about Ronaldo :

Bluddy hell, calm down. :laughing:

You watch them get beaten by Iran and Morocco 😂

1 minute ago, Kaepora_Gaebora said:

You watch them get beaten by Iran and Morocco 😂

I wouldn't mind that, Iran are my only sweepstake pick who look like they're going to be of any use, at the moment.

1 minute ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Peru have wasted so many chances in this match.

Yeah, getting really hacked off watching them. Should have scored about...a million, by now.

Sign in to follow this