NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Ganepark32

Hollow Knight

3 minutes ago, EEVILMURRAY said:

When is a good time to go against the Dreamers? The 3 main ones. I was going to try my luck with the one in City of Tears but those guardians kept killing me so I've deferred it for the moment. 

As long as you're picking up plenty of charms, and are maybe a nail upgrade or two in you can go for them whenever really. If the City of Tears one is the one with the 5 or 6 Watcher Knights I feel your paint, that fight took me ages. If you haven't maybe try looking above their boss room before you enter though. That's probably the toughest dreamer for those guys alone. Sorry I can't offer too much advice, it's been a while since I played it and can't remember all the details, others might have more insight...

11 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

As long as you're picking up plenty of charms, and are maybe a nail upgrade or two in you can go for them whenever really. If the City of Tears one is the one with the 5 or 6 Watcher Knights I feel your paint, that fight took me ages. If you haven't maybe try looking above their boss room before you enter though. That's probably the toughest dreamer for those guys alone. Sorry I can't offer too much advice, it's been a while since I played it and can't remember all the details, others might have more insight...

I've got two nail upgrades at the moment and I've looked above ;)

Maybe my charms aren't the greatest yet. I saw one YouTube vid where a dude had this sentient guardian attacking shit around him. Closest I've got at the moment is a shield which revolves around me

3 minutes ago, EEVILMURRAY said:

I've got two nail upgrades at the moment and I've looked above ;)

Maybe my charms aren't the greatest yet. I saw one YouTube vid where a dude had this sentient guardian attacking shit around him. Closest I've got at the moment is a shield which revolves around me

Don't think either of those charms are all that useful to be honest. It's the simplest ones that make the biggest difference. Quick slash let's you attack twice as fast, hugely useful. Or the one that let's you heal twice as fast, maybe in combination with Grub song that let's you get soul when taking damage. Shaman Stone I think it's called that increases spell damage. Things like that. 

It all depends on your playstyle. It's been a while, so I forgot, but I definitely had a charm that would increase the range of your sword attacks slightly, and I one or two that would increase the soul you get from attacks. I'd have to look.

Edit:

Had a quick look. It seems I changed my charms before quitting the game, as I had a specific one that was required for the dlc. It gives you a little fying companion.

I had Mark of pride (longer range for nail attacks), Quick Slash (the one Ronnie mentioned, faster attacks), and I suspect before starting that dlc, I was using the likes of soul catcher (more soul on attacks), dream wielder (as well) and sprintmaster (faster movement). For the dlc I had changed them (apparently) to the required one, forgot the name, the one that gives you a flying companion that attacks, and ehh, also forgot the name, a charm that turns your dash into an attack. Shadow something.

I focus on mobility. But the more soul lets you use your projectile more often and obviously heal more often as well.

Edited by Sméagol

Currently I mainly had the compass one, the one which stops you being knocked back by your own attacks, Grubsong and Longnail.

Last night I only just got the quick slash one, so that was nice for taking on Hornet again. What I really wanted was the shadow cloak (and the damage badge for it), which I got too last night, because I hate being cornered with no way out. So may try those husk fuckers again today.

Right... fuck those Watcher Knights... right in the anus. No lube. I just cannot beat these fuckers. I can get about two down before the patterns just become too overwhelming and the both are Sonic'ing about. 

So off to explore and see if I can get some more health/Soul shit

• Like 1

4 hours ago, EEVILMURRAY said:

Right... fuck those Watcher Knights... right in the anus. No lube. I just cannot beat these fuckers. I can get about two down before the patterns just become too overwhelming and the both are Sonic'ing about.

I had luck with attacking them from above, bouncing off of them and then dashing to the opposite side of them, repeating it. Worked for me after half an hour or so. 

6 hours ago, MindFreak said:

I had luck with attacking them from above, bouncing off of them and then dashing to the opposite side of them, repeating it. Worked for me after half an hour or so. 

After a wander and coming back I've managed to do it. Got the charm which makes your shadow dash do damage (which I didn't use in previous attempts,  and perfected the use of it on the Traitor Lord) and fapped my second dreamer.

So a boombastic relief. 

One dreamer left then onto whatever is next. May see if I want to get some more grubs, I defeated the Collector on my travels too.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, EEVILMURRAY said:

After a wander and coming back I've managed to do it. Got the charm which makes your shadow dash do damage (which I didn't use in previous attempts,  and perfected the use of it on the Traitor Lord) and fapped my second dreamer.

So a boombastic relief. 

One dreamer left then onto whatever is next. May see if I want to get some more grubs, I defeated the Collector on my travels too.

Safe to say one of the toughest, if not the toughest boss fight is behind you. (Though Traitor Lord is up there too tbf and you managed that one)

Edited by Ronnie

11 hours ago, Ronnie said:

Safe to say one of the toughest, if not the toughest boss fight is behind you. (Though Traitor Lord is up there too tbf and you managed that one)

Thank fuck for that. It seemed everything was hiding behind a boss Battle. Is it worth going after some of the dream world bosses? Where it takes you into the realm, specifically Zote and Lost Kin, now I have the damage dash* I feel better equipped

* which I had to get used to as it appears it also extends your dash length, which took a bit of adapting in Queens Gardens when many of the rickety shelves were a normal dash width apart

14 hours ago, EEVILMURRAY said:

So a boombastic relief. 

Congratulations. I remember struggeling with that battle myself. I think everyone is having problems with that specific boss battle. That is where everyone starts questioning if they can manage the game or not. But by the gods, the feeling when you finally beat them is really, really good. 

Thanks for keeping us up to speed on your progress through the game. Makes me remember a lot that I had forgotten, and it's a good trip down memory lane. Such a good game :D Looking more and more forward to Silk Song now! Keep us posted on your progress :)

3 hours ago, EEVILMURRAY said:

Thank fuck for that. It seemed everything was hiding behind a boss Battle. Is it worth going after some of the dream world bosses? Where it takes you into the realm, specifically Zote and Lost Kin, now I have the damage dash* I feel better equipped

* which I had to get used to as it appears it also extends your dash length, which took a bit of adapting in Queens Gardens when many of the rickety shelves were a normal dash width apart

Not sure how much advice I can give there, it's been a while and it's tough to remember specifics, but a lot of the dream world bosses were part of the game's first DLC so probably not that necessary. Zote is annoying but I got there in the end.

1 hour ago, ArtMediocre said:

Congratulations. I remember struggeling with that battle myself. I think everyone is having problems with that specific boss battle. That is where everyone starts questioning if they can manage the game or not. But by the gods, the feeling when you finally beat them is really, really good. 

Thanks for keeping us up to speed on your progress through the game. Makes me remember a lot that I had forgotten, and it's a good trip down memory lane. Such a good game :D Looking more and more forward to Silk Song now! Keep us posted on your progress :)

Well I opened up the Black Egg and had a few goes against the enemy within, still to try and finish it off, looking for the best combination of charms. Is that it after that? Just wondering if I should do a bit more exploring. According to the map I have 81% completion.

Is the Godhall thing worth doing?

9 minutes ago, EEVILMURRAY said:

Well I opened up the Black Egg and had a few goes against the enemy within, still to try and finish it off, looking for the best combination of charms. Is that it after that? Just wondering if I should do a bit more exploring. According to the map I have 81% completion.

There are multiple endings, so you shouldn't have to worry about it. If you clear the black egg, you can start off again just before the boss, just like in Zelda. Or you can just explore.It's up to you. Have you tried doing the colosseum of fools? That's a pretty good challenge. 

50 minutes ago, ArtMediocre said:

Have you tried doing the colosseum of fools? That's a pretty good challenge. 

I did the first one, because I got the charm notch out of it. What I should look out for is another Pale Ore, I need just one more for the last nail upgrade

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EEVILMURRAY said:

I did the first one, because I got the charm notch out of it. What I should look out for is another Pale Ore, I need just one more for the last nail upgrade

I think you get one from doing Colisseum of Fools again. But I'm not sure. 

4 hours ago, EEVILMURRAY said:

Like @ArtMediocre says there are multiple endings. The standard one you would get if you finish the game now is really anticlimactic. The problem is to get the "true" ending you have to do some pretty obtuse things and would have a hard time just stumbling on them without looking it up.

On 10/05/2020 at 6:43 PM, Ronnie said:

Like @ArtMediocre says there are multiple endings. The standard one you would get if you finish the game now is really anticlimactic. The problem is to get the "true" ending you have to do some pretty obtuse things and would have a hard time just stumbling on them without looking it up.

Not played for a couple of days but I had done some looking up and I have the Kingsoul and other shit. That White Palace was horrible.

I've not turned it into the Voidheart yet, may try the final boss without it to see this shitty ending first.

I wish there was a little more lore/direction for some of this, when looking at Hollow Wiki's they say all this shit and I'm thinking "When was this explained?! I've seen two signposts with some cryptic shit and it's had this much exposition"

4 minutes ago, EEVILMURRAY said:

I wish there was a little more lore/direction for some of this, when looking at Hollow Wiki's they say all this shit and I'm thinking "When was this explained?! I've seen two signposts with some cryptic shit and it's had this much exposition"

Yeah there's tons of lore to the game, it's surprisingly deep but like you say none of it is directly communicated to you, most of it is done environmentally. There's plenty of google results about it and mossbag on YouTube makes brilliant Hollow Knight lore videos.

I've owned this game on Switch for a few years now, but am only just getting into it. Have got 12 hours played so far. Doubt I'll 112% it.

Was daunting at first considering how often I'd get my ass handed to me. I dislike the Souls-like money recovery and much prefer the Metroid Dread checkpoint system. But I'm just a filthy casual.

Edited by FalcoLombardi

So am I, but I didn't really mind the shade-thing. It's usually in easy to get-places, so you rarely lose your stuff. But I wouldn't mind a checkpoint system either. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did when I played it! I still listen to the soundtrack once or twice every week :D

"Finished" the game today with 81% (that was it the last I checked). Gonna go back and try to collect all Charms and fight a few bosses I missed. Nearly defeated Lost Kin before I decided it was time to exercise. Will probably have a go at that boss after dinner in a little bit.

The charms I've been using for boss fights seem a bit unfair. I'm using the Defender Charm with whatever the charm is that has little flies surround you who then attack enemies. Combining these two make the flies explosive.

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this