NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Ganepark32

Hollow Knight

15 minutes ago, drahkon said:

People here seem to like it. What makes it so special?

Nothing at all. Avoid. :p 

• Like 2
  • Weird 1

21 minutes ago, drahkon said:

Soooo, Hollow Knight is now 9€ on the PSN store.

People here seem to like it. What makes it so special?

It's one of the best games I've ever played. Easily the best Metroidvania. Atmosphere, visuals, sound, combat, movement, customisation, lore, all outstanding. It was a steal at full price, 9 euros is practically giving it away. It's challenging though, especially early on and some of the bosses (there's dozens of them) are extremely difficult, but don't let that stop you.

Edited by Ronnie
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Nothing at all. Avoid. :p 

You know what? I'm going with the other two descriptions here :p 

18 minutes ago, MindFreak said:

It's a very tightly knitted together Metroidvania with some really great combat and high difficulty - but it's fair. The world is also very cleverly put together with just enough tidbits about it here and there. Furthermore, it's meaty, I spent 40-50 hours on the main story and never got bored of it, just looking around and trying to figure out how to do stuff.

Sounds great, thanks :peace: 

2 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

It's one of the best games I've ever played. Easily the best Metroidvania. Atmosphere, visuals, sound, combat, movement, customisation, lore, all outstanding. It was a steal at full price, 9 euros is practically giving it away. It's challenging though, especially early on and some of the bosses (there's dozens of them) are extremely difficult, but don't let that stop you.

As if a high difficulty could stop me :p 

Downloading now. 
TAKE THAT, @Hero-of-Time !

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, drahkon said:

Sounds great, thanks :peace: 

As if a high difficulty could stop me :p 

Downloading now. 
TAKE THAT, @Hero-of-Time !

Yeah I was going to say it sounded like you breezed through Dead Cells and this is a similar challenge, mostly.

One thing though, a common complaint about this game is that it starts off annoying/slow but after a few hours once everything clicks it gets amazing, so don't let the first few hours put you off. Like @MindFreak I rolled credits after 50 hours.

Edited by Ronnie
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, drahkon said:

Soooo, Hollow Knight is now 9€ on the PSN store.

55 minutes ago, drahkon said:

Downloading now. 

Calling the police because you're robbing them.

• Haha 1

It's an absolute bargain for a beautiful and brilliant game. Agree that the start is slow, at least in terms of challenge/depth, but loved every minute. Some very difficult challenges in the endgame too.

No, go with @Hero-of-Time! :p

Honestly, there's something about this game I really don't like, thematically as well as in terms of gameplay.  It's good, but there were aspects where I though the designers were trying to annoy the player.  That said, from what I perceive about you, drahkon, I do think you'll like it.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Grazza said:

It's good, but there were aspects where I though the designers were trying to annoy the player.  That said, from what I perceive about you, drahkon, I do think you'll like it.

Well...not sure how I should take that :laughing: 

Anyway, just started playing it. It's beautiful and the music is great. Farmed some money to make the map more useful and now I'm ready to explore some more.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Wow, with all the praise this game is getting, and for that price, only a moron would choose not to buy it!

1 hour ago, bob said:

Wow, with all the praise this game is getting, and for that price, only a moron would choose not to buy it!

SVYnGo.gif

I don't know, something about the aesthetic of this game just turns me right off.

15 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

I don't know, something about the aesthetic of this game just turns me right off.

My first thought was that the game looked a bit basic, visually. Going solely from a few screenshots I'd glanced at, it looked like a newgrounds animation, castle-crashers esque (which is fine when you're being comical, but not for something taking itself seriously) and too flat.

However once I actually got it and played it a bit I thought the opposite, the artwork is great, the lighting and design brings it to life, and it nails the mood and atmosphere its going for perfectly.

Really worth a look at this price. Really worth a look at any price.

• Like 1

Not just the artwork but the presentation in general: on-screen prompts, menus, use of sound, musical flourishes etc. It’s all hugely polished 

I hated it. As mentioned above, it's way too challenging and uninteresting at the start to make me want to play further.

3 hours ago, Shorty said:

My first thought was that the game looked a bit basic, visually. Going solely from a few screenshots I'd glanced at, it looked like a newgrounds animation, castle-crashers esque (which is fine when you're being comical, but not for something taking itself seriously) and too flat.

However once I actually got it and played it a bit I thought the opposite, the artwork is great, the lighting and design brings it to life, and it nails the mood and atmosphere its going for perfectly.

Really worth a look at this price. Really worth a look at any price.

Yeah, it was the exact same for me. I initially had no interest in the game, because of the artstyle, but I love Metroidvanias en I kept hearing how fantastic people found it, that I ultimately gave it a go despite the graphics. And.. Seeing the game in motion, and seeing various setpieces.. I fell in love with the game, including the artstyle.

3 hours in.

What a wonderful game.

I've beaten 2 bosses (maybe 3? There was one enemy that had a name displayed at the beginning of the fight) and acquired certain new abilities. 
Died once so far because I'm a moron and thought: "nah, you don't need healing right now". Needless to say I died to a weak enemy ::shrug: 

Spent a ridiculous amount of Geos on a lantern because I've encountered two dark areas. Not sure whether I should go back now or keep exploring what I assume is the main path. 

• Like 1

Glad you're enjoying it. I got the lantern early as well, I'd say you made the right choice but early on maybe stick to the main path ? It doesn't open up till a bit later I believe anyway so I'm not sure how many options you have at this early point anyway.

• Thanks 1

Played it some more on Tuesday. Two more bosses are dead. The battles were so much fun.

Spoiler

Soul Master - loved his little "hmmm" and "mhmh" sounds when he attacked :D Died once to him because I was too impatient. I should definitely remember to heal more...

Dung Defender - What a guy :laughing: Hilarious voice, awesome attacks. A little on the easy side but it was a very enjoyable fight.

Didn't have time to play yesterday and not sure if I find time today :( I really want to, though. Such a great game.

Almost 6 1/2 hours in. Not sure where exactly I'm supposed to go now. It's been a long time since I've acquired a new ability. Got a few new markers on the map so I'll definitely check those out.

I'm in love with this game. Could be a little more difficult, though :p 

After a short hiatus from the game (and gaming in general) I've played this for 2 more hours. Finally found a new ability :D 

Not sure where exactly to go next but I'm on my way to an area which I think I can now access.

• Like 1

Looks like I unlocked what I suppose is the final boss.
Fought against it once and died because I got too reckless. I don't want to finish the game, yet. I still have quite a bit to explore.

Will I go for 112% completion and in turn the Platinum trophy? Probably not right now. If I eventually do that I will most likely start a new save file and follow a guide.

I enjoy this game so much. The gameplay, exploration, atmosphere, music...it's such a great experience.

58 minutes ago, drahkon said:

Fought against it once and died because I got too reckless. I don't want to finish the game, yet. I still have quite a bit to explore.

Will I go for 112% completion and in turn the Platinum trophy? Probably not right now. If I eventually do that I will most likely start a new save file and follow a guide.

I enjoy this game so much. The gameplay, exploration, atmosphere, music...it's such a great experience.

You can always go back so there's no need to start a new file. There is also in-game tools for finding some stuff.

• Thanks 1

I would hold off on the final boss as long as possible tbh, I won't say much more for fear of spoiling but if you fight him now it'll be the most anticlimactic ending ever.

• Thanks 1

12 hours and 45 minutes in and I'm now at 66% completion.

Just got the trophy for acquiring maps for all areas. There's one area I have only set foot in a little bit so that needs some thorough exploring. In other locations there are some paths that I haven't yet taken.

Unlocked another ability and upgraded one:

Spoiler

Now I can create an "explosion" around me and the dash has been upgraded, too. 

Well now, this has been in my backlog for a long time. 

WHY DID I WAIT THIS LONG TO PLAY IT????

The aesthetics, the sound, the atmosphere, and the incredibly well made weapon feel is a insane! I've not played a lot, but I can already tell that this game is amazing! I have gone quite a bit down in the well, and finally found the map bug, but I have no idea how I get back up again without dying :P. I've done two mini bosses, which was alright. I'm currently playing the game handheld, and I guess that the game feels way better with the Pro Controller, but still, it works really well. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Sign in to follow this