NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Ganepark32

Hollow Knight

I didn’t mind that bit. It’s only difficult because the big bees take off two of your health. 

That's also DLC so it's not really supposed to "do" much to the game. It has a charm if I remember correctly.

I've done the White Palace but didn't go for that extra secret area. Saw a video of it and thought no. No thanks. I haven't tried to re-enter the Palace since clearing it.

Assumed it was DLC, felt like it while going through it. 

I'm pretty sure this is the best Metroidvania I've ever played, and better than any 2D Metroid I've played at least.

Not sure I'll be able to play another game in that genre after this.

Edited by Ronnie

The game's a must-buy on Switch.

Though it wouldn't make games like Axiom Verge or even Steam World Dig 2 obsolete for me. I still need more Metroids and / or Vanias. :D

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Ronnie said:

The true final boss is impossible :cry::cry::cry:

Avoid, avoid, avoid, spam Up+A, get the Unbreakable Strength charm. It is actually not the hardest fight in the game.

4 hours ago, MindFreak said:

Avoid, avoid, avoid, spam Up+A, get the Unbreakable Strength charm. It is actually not the hardest fight in the game.

I'd love to use (Fragile) Strength but I have no charm spots left. Using Joni's Blessing, Shaman Stone and Lifeblood Core. Tried spamming Up+A and manage to get to the fourth phase with the platforms, but man, only with 3 or 4 masks by that point and not much soul. I'll do it eventually but it's not easy.

I'm also wondering whether I made a mistake going straight to the true ending and bypassing the regular one, which I've not seen.

Edited by Ronnie

27 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

I'd love to use (Fragile) Strength but I have no charm spots left. Using Joni's Blessing, Shaman Stone and Lifeblood Core. Tried spamming Up+A and manage to get to the fourth phase with the platforms, but man, only with 3 or 4 masks by that point and not much soul. I'll do it eventually but it's not easy.

I'm also wondering whether I made a mistake going straight to the true ending and bypassing the regular one, which I've not seen.

You can always redo the fight and see the regular ending.

I don't quite remember which charms I used but lifeblood core and the blessing are probably not so helpful here. I used Quick Slash and Unbreakable Strength and one or two more that I don't remember. Perhaps the one that gives two more masks.

But no, it's definitely not an easy fight. Just not the hardest one in the game.

Edited by MindFreak
  • Thanks 1

Finally beat the final boss, you were right Unbreakable Strength was a big help, and actually I didn't use Up-A as much as a lot of people were suggesting. Stopped using Joni's Blessing too, it was handy being able to focus soul during a couple of breaks in the fight.

The game is a masterpiece. I'm not sure I'll be able to play another Metroidvania after this. I have some major annoyances with it but they don't diminish the overall package (too much). The amount of polish the game has is just outstanding, so many little touches.

Spoiler

I have to say though, I found the "true" ending pretty disappointing. I need to read up on story details to figure out exactly WTF happened, but after 50 hours playing, I was hoping for more than 60 seconds of footage. Not the first time I've been disappointed with a short/lacklustre ending, Breath of the Wild and (especially) Darkest Dungeon too. But yeah I need to make sense of what just happened...

Anyway, highly, highly recommended. Wow.

EDIT: having seen it again and reflected, I take back what I said about the ending.

Edited by Ronnie
  • Like 1

Stopped playing this during the AoV beta, and while currently Octopath is my focus, I've played this a bit again last night and a little bit a few days ago. I'm 35 hours in, and while several of those can be attributed to retrying boss battles, that's just an insane amount of content, especially as I feel I've still quite a way to go before I've seen all of it. I suspect I'll easily get 50 out of it before all's done, and that for 15 euros.

Spoiler

A few days ago I just wandered off without any specific goal in mind. I found myself in Kingdom's Edge. I found Hornet again, and died. I wasn't in the mood for a long session, so I left it at that.

Booted it up again last night, first goal was to retrieve my ghost, but I explored a bit more of the area, and found a hidden and more convenient bench located near the second Hornet fight. Hornet took a few tries, eventhough she's practically the same as last time. But it's those extra thing you have to deal with that makes it a bit harder. But nothing too difficult in the end. Got the King's brand, I don't know what it does. I thought it would open up those black streams, but it doesn't. Also found the final Nail Master. Finally I headed to the Colosseum, and did the first two challenges (poor Zote). Tried the third one, but those Mantisses were not something I wanted to deal with at that moment, so that's where I ended that session. I'll try again next session, then explore the waterways, and probably head to that palace. I do need to go back to the charm guy as well. Got a notch from the Colosseum, but I want a few more for a good charm I found, one that let's you attack faster.

Edited by Sméagol

This is getting a physical release in spring of 2019, and is also coming to PS4 and Xbox One, though a window for its release on those platforms has yet to be announced.

I'd buy it but... I want to get that physical release, so it looks like it'll be a 2019 game for me. :)

Alright, just tried the new DLC. First of all, it's impossible to find without a hint or a guide. It's just hidden in the game so after that initial bump, I used a guide and found the required places and items.

And.. well.. it seems to just be a Boss Rush mode hidden in the game. I've never enjoyed those modes and thus, I can't see myself spending time to complete it. But for those that really enjoyed the battles and bosses and want to try them again, this is perfect. You can go up against the regular bosses or a pimped version of them. There are also a few new bosses it seems.

It's just not for me. :)

• Thanks 1

That's a shame, was hoping for some story stuff at least. Also annoying how they've locked both DLC's behind impossible to find places.

I think there’s supposed to be story DLC coming out eventually. Think you play as Hornet though. 

Epic trailer for the game, on account of it being ported to PS4/XBO soon...

One of those rare games I wish I cold erase my memory of it so I can enjoy it all over again.

• Like 1

I finally started this on Sunday and loving it so far, it really is a beautiful looking game with such a rich atmosphere. As someone who probably uses guides a bit too much I decided to try not to looking anything up with this and I'm really enjoying the exploration but I've hit a bit of a road block with the Mantis Lord's boss fight, I can beat the first one fine but just get overwhelmed by the other two, I noticed there is a bench nearby but it's behind a locked door - is it possible to reach the bench before defeating the boss? Would certainly make things a bit easier if I could respawn there. 

58 minutes ago, killthenet said:

I finally started this on Sunday and loving it so far, it really is a beautiful looking game with such a rich atmosphere. As someone who probably uses guides a bit too much I decided to try not to looking anything up with this and I'm really enjoying the exploration but I've hit a bit of a road block with the Mantis Lord's boss fight, I can beat the first one fine but just get overwhelmed by the other two, I noticed there is a bench nearby but it's behind a locked door - is it possible to reach the bench before defeating the boss? Would certainly make things a bit easier if I could respawn there. 

I forgot. I believe you can. Maybe buy a key at the shop? I did it the hard way with a bench outside of the Mantus hive.. Only after defeating the boss did I find the much closer bench.

Actually, now I think about it.. I think you need a switch.

The boss: 2 of them is hard at first, but they still follow the same pattern. You'll get it eventually simply from learning the pattern for both. Especially learn what path those projectiles will take (and how best to avoid both). It depends on how high the lord is on the wall.

2 hours ago, killthenet said:

Glad you're enjoying it. I went back to the Mantis Lords much later in the game when I'd gotten a few more upgrades, but as with pretty much every boss in the game, just learn the patterns and concentrate on evading

Thanks guys, I defeated them on my fifth or sixth attempt. I think I might have gone to them too early but it seemed like the game was nudging me in that direction after I got out of the City of Tears. Didn't figure out a way to access the nearest bench before defeating them though, just had to make do with the one outside Mantis Village. I think I'm officially hooked on this game now, I can definitely see why people compared it to Dark Souls.

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this