NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Ganepark32

Hollow Knight

Team Cherry is working on a physical release, they said that in their AMA on Reddit - https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoSwitch/comments/8swt8n/were_team_cherry_and_we_just_released_hollow/

I didn't plan on trying the Colosseum's trial 2 so soon but I need the prize from that so will try it out at some point. Also found a new area that you can't get a map of, and found a map that shows Grubs so will be collecting them now.

9 hours ago, MindFreak said:

Team Cherry is working on a physical release, they said that in their AMA on Reddit

That was to be expected from such a high profile indie game. Oh well, I already said this game was a steal, so I'll happily double dip in this case.

Spoiler

Anyway I forgot to mention last time the last thing I actually did was visit that area where you get the dream nail. Also I didn't fight that boss in Soul Sanctum, but the boss blocking your access to it.

Last night was where I fought the boss of Soul Sanctum, the Soul master was it? Anyway, wasn't too hard. But then I noticed those spirit particles, and decided to try that dream nail charge attack.. Was surprised to fight another version of it. And a considerabble harder one at that. That's where I quit my session, but I'm making it my first thing on my to do list for the next. Was also glad I didn't lose my money after losing to it. I think I've exhausted all other obvious places to go to, the only things left that I'm aware of are the dark places where I need the lamp. And I've finally almost saved up enough for that damn thing! I found some good loot in a room I missed in the Mantis lair while backtracking, which also got me a great charm which extends the range of my sword. I actually splurged on an extra notch to make use of that one, plus some elevator I needed to activate, but even after that I found enough money to have the lamp within reach. So after that dream Soul Master, I'll be exploring the dark areas I encountered before.

Quick question though;

Can I sell those collectibles without any issues, or do they have other uses?

Spoiler

I've also opened up the spirit glades. I've also noticed passive spirits (as opposed to the specific spirit warriors you can challenge) in certain places, like the gravedigger in the graveyard. After finding out about that dream version of the soul master, I was wondering if I can affect those friendly spirits as well. Without spoiling anything specific;

Can I?

And is this good or bad?

It doesn't seem like something I want to do if I could.

Edited by Sméagol

16 hours ago, Sméagol said:

That was to be expected from such a high profile indie game. Oh well, I already said this game was a steal, so I'll happily double dip in this case.

progress (Hide contents)

Anyway I forgot to mention last time the last thing I actually did was visit that area where you get the dream nail. Also I didn't fight that boss in Soul Sanctum, but the boss blocking your access to it.

Last night was where I fought the boss of Soul Sanctum, the Soul master was it? Anyway, wasn't too hard. But then I noticed those spirit particles, and decided to try that dream nail charge attack.. Was surprised to fight another version of it. And a considerabble harder one at that. That's where I quit my session, but I'm making it my first thing on my to do list for the next. Was also glad I didn't lose my money after losing to it. I think I've exhausted all other obvious places to go to, the only things left that I'm aware of are the dark places where I need the lamp. And I've finally almost saved up enough for that damn thing! I found some good loot in a room I missed in the Mantis lair while backtracking, which also got me a great charm which extends the range of my sword. I actually splurged on an extra notch to make use of that one, plus some elevator I needed to activate, but even after that I found enough money to have the lamp within reach. So after that dream Soul Master, I'll be exploring the dark areas I encountered before.

Quick question though;

Can I sell those collectibles without any issues, or do they have other uses?

And another question; (Hide contents)

I've also opened up the spirit glades. I've also noticed passive spirits (as opposed to the specific spirit warriors you can challenge) in certain places, like the gravedigger in the graveyard. After finding out about that dream version of the soul master, I was wondering if I can affect those friendly spirits as well. Without spoiling anything specific;

Can I?

And is this good or bad?

It doesn't seem like something I want to do if I could.

The harder versions of the bosses are meant as endgame content. So I'd you can't beat it now, don't fret. Get upgrades and charms for those rights.

You can sell the stuff without any problems. However, only do so if you have something you need to spend the money on as you may lose all the money suddenly.

For your second question. Try it out. :p Something happens.

2 hours ago, MindFreak said:

The harder versions of the bosses are meant as endgame content. So I'd you can't beat it now, don't fret. Get upgrades and charms for those rights.

No I will fight and beat them now Goddamnit.

Spoiler

Haha, I did beat the Soul Tyrant. However, I've now gone back to the False Knight, noticing I could do the same thing and.. Well he's even considerably harder than the Soul Tyrant (while it was the opposite for their normal versions). But defeating him is now my number one priority.

You can sell the stuff without any problems. However, only do so if you have something you need to spend the money on as you may lose all the money suddenly.

Yeah that's just common sense in a game like this. :p The shop is selling more items now though, need some keys. And I need to buy the last notch from that charm guy.

For your second question. Try it out. :p Something happens.

Spoiler

I did try it out without saving.. As expected, I killed the poor spirit, for a measly one ehh, what the stuff called you collect from it. Unless I absolutely need them to collect and unlock everything, I'm going to leave them, I don't want to kill the friendly spirits. Killing those dream bosses is more efficient.

Spoiler

Mostly just some more backtracking. I defeated the Soul Tyrant first thing, like I said, then went back through other areas. Saved up enough for the lamp (again), finally, so I finally could check out those dark areas. The first area I checked was the one connected to the first area, which opened up a whole new area. Defeated that crystal guardian boss, and got the what's it called, the shine spark. It's only horizontal? Because there were plenty of areas I still could not reach within those crystal caves, even with my new ability, unless I;m missing something. Oh and I checked up on the miner lady (since another ability let me finally check what was hidden there), and she stopped singing, and was sad. That just broke my heart. I liked her singing. Anyway, just like previous session, I ended this one by trying out the dream version of the False Knight, which was a lot harder than the Soul Tyrant. But I'm going to get him.

Spoiler

Well, almost done I think. Got all mask upgrades, all soul fragments, defeated all dream bosses, found the secret area (though I got some help for finding the entrance) and defeated the second trial in the Colosseum - it wasn't so hard actually, took three tries as I was surprised by one of the changes to the arena.

I only need to find a remaining few charms, clear the White castle and defeat the final boss, though I don't know what I should do first of the latter two.

Then there's the DLC, Grimm Troupe. Haven't looked at that yet.

And I'm definitely not doing the Path of Pain. Saw a video, that is truly cruel.

I think I'm past 33 hours now and don't know what completion percentage I have.

• Like 1

Spent ages looking for the last Charm Notch yesterday, like more than an hour, only to realise that I already had it - I just hadn't used it so it was dark and thus, I couldn't see it on the screen... Well.

Apart from that, I only need to collect a lot of Geo to upgrade the fragiles to unbreakables and then defeat the final boss. Did the Grimm DLC yesterday except the nightmare-fight, I don't think I'm going to bother with that as it's supposed to be harder than any other boss in the game... and I think some of the bosses were super hard!

Edit: Well, got the Geo and am now going for the final boss. I have 104 % completion.

Edited by MindFreak
  • Thanks 1

Spoiler

It only took me two hours. Seriously, those lava rocks are bullshit.

Then I went backtracking through Howling cliffs to explore the dark area and get the whispering root.

Then back through Greenpath to get through that dark area plus some other area I could't reach before.

Then back to Deepnest, an area I haven't fully explored yet, because I didn't have the lamp. Now I did, and went through it, and found one of those dreamers. Disappointed this didn't result in a bossfight.

The explored the ancient bassin. I only quickly passed through it earlier with the tram, but didn't bother exploring as I had another objective at the time. Found some stuff, and some King corpse I think. But I wasn't able to do anything with it. Also found a couple of bosses..

It only took me two hours. Seriously, those flying bugs are bullshit. His normal version I did in one try.

Anyway, defeating him pushed me over 1800 essence, so I went back to Resting Grounds, and got the final upgrade for my nail, though I'm not sure what it does.

After that, I went back to City of Tears to explore some more, finding the second  dreamer amongst other things. Those watcher knights were the toughest non-dream boss I've come across so far. That took me quite a few attempts, though not on the level of the last two dream bosses. Oh and obviously couldn't resist a trip to the pleasure house.

All in all I found plenty of stuff. Two dreamers, two regular bosses, two dream bosses, several dream warriors, one which was named Gorb I believe, plenty of charms, and I saved up plenty of money to clear out the store in Dirtmouth (unless it will get new items later).

Next up: clear out the charm guy, and explore the Royal Waterways, and the rest of the City of tears (the small area to the right with all the building you can enter, I haven't fully explored that bit yet.

• Like 1

Started this last night. What a gloriously beautiful game.

Got a bit frustrated getting lost but the map and compass help.

Currently in the first real section, beaten two bosses (I believe).

How often do people go up to the surface to spend their geo? I feel like hoarding probably isn't a great idea in this game.

There seems to be a bit of an input lag which is annoying me, but otherwise what a lovely looking game.

Input lag? Never noticed that at all. Been playing mostly with the Pro Controller but sometimes in handheld and haven't had any problems.

Regarding Geo, you quickly get a lot so go spend it when you have enough to buy what you want. Just be careful. :p

Just beat the Final Boss, not the true version though. 41 hours! I guess that'll be 43 after beating the true final boss...

Edited by MindFreak
  • Thanks 1

Question regarding the first area.

Spoiler

I'm struggling to know where to proceed next, the only open path I have is in complete darkness. Do I need to buy the torch to proceed, it's something like 1300 geo!

Edit: never mind, made it to the next area

Edited by Ronnie

Yay, done! Beat the true final boss just now, it wasn't so hard actually. Just had to find the right strategy and be good at dodging.

Please, please, please tell me you unlock a charm that has you keep your soul meter capacity at maximum after dying. Right now it's incredibly tedious having to go back, fight your ghost, then leave that area to hunt for more small baddies to refill your soul mater to 100%

No such charm, unfortunately. But it gets quicker to fill it later on due to enemies becoming stronger.

• Thanks 1

I'm using a charm that increases the soul you get from enemies. I got it early on, but I have no idea where. I have never any trouble filling my soul meter. The other two I'm using are the compass (first to go) and a charm that increases the range of my melee attack.

5 minutes ago, Sméagol said:

I'm using a charm that increases the soul you get from enemies. I got it early on, but I have no idea where. I have never any trouble filling my soul meter. The other two I'm using are the compass (first to go) and a charm that increases the range of my melee attack.

Most of the time it's fine, my issue was I was dying at the boss of the second main area over and over, and each time I'd go all the way back to her, fight my ghost then have to leave that area to fight other baddies to get to 100%, then go back to the boss. Rinse and repeat 5 or 6 times. But yeah normally it's not so bad.

This game really is quite special. Surprised not to see this thread more active. Art style, animation, music, combat, platforming, exploration, upgrades, level design, polish even things like lore and pacing, all absolutely top notch.

The actual quality is very high, and I've got quite far into it now, but I think there are several things about Hollow Knight that are extremely off-putting.

Thumbs are actually sore from playing this so much in the last few days. It’s frustrating, but as Ronnie said, it’s very special indeed. And there’s so much to do. For 11 quid, this is the bargain of the year no question. 

6 hours ago, Grazza said:

The actual quality is very high, and I've got quite far into it now, but I think there are several things about Hollow Knight that are extremely off-putting.

Just curious, what is very off-putting in your mind?

16 minutes ago, MindFreak said:

Just curious, what is very off-putting in your mind?

Well, it's not actually bothering me now, but it took me ages to get into it (maybe about 30 hours).  Things like lack of save points, and the long treks between them and some of the bosses.  And how the maps don't actually fill out as you explore; rather you have to find the map vendor and also get back to a bench before the areas you've explored become visible.  A few destination markers wouldn't go amiss either.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Grazza said:

Well, it's not actually bothering me now, but it took me ages to get into it (maybe about 30 hours).  Things like lack of save points, and the long treks between them and some of the bosses.  And how the maps don't actually fill out as you explore; rather you have to find the map vendor and also get back to a bench before the areas you've explored become visible.  A few destination markers wouldn't go amiss either.

30 hours to get into it!! How long is this game??

I don't mind no objective markers, those have just become so common and boring in modern gaming so it's nice to see an old fashioned Metroidvania without them. That said I do agree benches are too far apart and the backtracking is seriously tedious at times. Some bosses too are rage inducing.

Edited by Ronnie

3 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

30 hours to get into it!! How long is this game??

I don't mind no objective markers, those have just become so common and boring in modern gaming so it's nice to see an old fashioned Metroidvania without them. That said I do agree benches are too far apart and the backtracking is seriously tedious at times. Some bosses too are rage inducing.

Yeah, objective markers was my weakest point, it's just that I didn't have a clue where to go at one stage.  The game is so big, with so many optional bosses (having all the DLC loaded on doesn't help, as nice as it is), it's hard to know how powerful you should be at any one time.  It's not clear at all whether you should keep trying at a particular boss (or even if that's the right boss to advance the story) or keep exploring for more upgrades.  Still, that's the case with most Metroidvanias, but everything about Hollow Knight feels extreme.

• Like 1

Just had a genuine laugh out loud moment. 

Spoiler

When the banker does a runner with your money. Managed to get it back though.

Has anyone managed to do the White Palace yet? I have, but I can’t seem to get back in properly as there are white barriers covering the way I want to go. Heard there is another area in there to explore. 

Not there yet, just finished Kingdom's Edge. One area in particular can F right off... the Hive. That place is just pointless and incredibly tough to navigate.

Loving the rest of the game though, it's a special one, just wish a handful of (big) negatives didn't drag it down for me.

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this