NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Ramar

Retro Studios

So every year the vast majority of Nintendo fans can’t wait to hear what Retro Studios are up to. Most years they are disappointed as nothing comes out.

The same happened again at this years E3, everyone was hoping they were developing [enter favourite franchise here] but nothing. 

Looking at their release history it’s not great, they are slow to get games to market and in my opinion haven’t delivered on a top game in almost 7 years (not a DK fan - sorry). Why do we still hold them with such regard? Is it nostalgia? I’m guessing a lot of fans here wouldn’t remember being blown away by Retro on the GameCube. 

1 hour ago, Ramar said:

So every year the vast majority of Nintendo fans can’t wait to hear what Retro Studios are up to. Most years they are disappointed as nothing comes out.

The same happened again at this years E3, everyone was hoping they were developing [enter favourite franchise here] but nothing. 

Looking at their release history it’s not great, they are slow to get games to market and in my opinion haven’t delivered on a top game in almost 7 years (not a DK fan - sorry). Why do we still hold them with such regard? Is it nostalgia? I’m guessing a lot of fans here wouldn’t remember being blown away by Retro on the GameCube. 

Honestly, i've never held them in high regard. I'm not a fan of the Prime series and there's only Tropical Freeze that I consider a fantastic game from them.

People tend to think of them as the new Rare but they aren't as half as good or valuable as those guys were. Rare pretty much kept a platform going on their own. You also have to remember that Rare were a fantastic developer long before Nintendo bought a chunk of them, whereas Retro Studios were a mess and Nintendo had to go in and clean up their mess.

It's crazy that we've yet to see their new game yet. I'm going to assume that if it was 2018 surely it would have been shown at this years E3?

• Like 2

I do wonder about the whole Star Fox GP story; so many sites, including Eurogamer, verified it...are they working on it and it's just not ready? Or have alot of places lost alot of reputation?

I can see Retro being like NST, after Wave Race and 1080 the world was their oyster, but they were quietly moved on without much of a send off.

4 minutes ago, Kaepora_Gaebora said:

I do wonder about the whole Star Fox GP story; so many sites, including Eurogamer, verified it...are they working on it and it's just not ready? Or have alot of places lost alot of reputation?

Many sites would lose a lot of credibility if it turns out that the game isn't real. I think it's just more to do with the fact that it's not ready but that doesn't make the situation any better. The original Tropical Freeze was finished a long time ago, so you have to imagine there's been development issues being going on within Retro for their game not to be ready yet.

I also think they are over-rated and certainly have a problem with the pacing of their output.

I hear many of the Prime staff are gone now which could be another factor to the discontinuation of the Prime series from them. I was also massively disappointed by DKC Returns but do think Tropical Freeze was fantastic.

I do wonder what’s happening internally though. 4 years after Tropical Freeze and no information at all - a bit more than 4 years really, as the game was actually finished near the end of 2013 and artificially delayed to 2014. 

There were rumblings that’s whatever they were working on after TF got canned and I can believe that, it would explain the radio silence. 

Of course easy to forget that Xbox exclusive Recore was advertised as from the developers of Metroid Prime, as well as Inafune, and that game was mediocrity personified! 

I loved the Metroid Prime trilogy, I have to say, all three were brilliant, and the DK games too, but clearly there was a moment going on at Retro which has been lost due to staff moving on or other issues.

Edited by Kaepora_Gaebora
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Kaepora_Gaebora said:

I can see Retro being like NST, after Wave Race and 1080 the world was their oyster, but they were quietly moved on without much of a send off.

They normally save something for the last day of the show right? Who knows...

22 hours ago, Josh64 said:

There were rumblings that’s whatever they were working on after TF got canned and I can believe that, it would explain the radio silence. 

Yep, I read this too, as part of the same rumour/source that claimed that the new Star Fox game will be a mix of genres and extremely ambitious to the point that a lot of people related to the project thought it couldn’t be done on Switch.

I still think this rumoured game is legit. No part of the original leak claimed it would be announced on E3, but just stated it’s the project that Retro’s working on. I don’t expect a last minute announcement because of that.

And RE Retro’s positive image; I think it’s mostly because lots of people put hope in them as a Western Nintendo studio working on franchises and genres that are popular in the West but the Japanese partners mostly ignore.

Sign in to follow this