NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
drahkon

CONTROL (XB1, PS4, PC)

Was waiting for you to reach that point, was disappointed you got distracted by the DLC. :heh:

18 minutes ago, Ike said:

was appointed you got distracted by the DLC. 

You and me both. :p

But yeah, Ashtray Maze is now in my list of "favourite moments in video gaming". :peace:

Edit: And now I also have the song This Picture by Placebo stuck in my head...

Farewell the ashtray girl

Edited by drahkon
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, drahkon said:

But yeah, Ashtray Maze is now in my list of "favourite moments in video gaming". :peace:

Definitely agree with that. It was like a music video that you can play though.

BTW, check out Poets of the Fall, they are an amazing band and are who perform the "Old Gods of Asgard" songs (whose songs also appear in Alan Wake and Alan Wake's American Nightmare and are relevant to their plots but are still awesome songs, and a few band members are characters in Alan Wake). Poets of the Fall also have one of their "real" songs hidden in a room in Control.

One of their songs was also used in Max Payne 2, when the developers and the band started working together. Quantum Break was also going to have one buy there were some contractual issues (between the band and record label) that couldn't be sorted out in time.

• Thanks 1

Finished the story just now.

Gameplay: Mentioned it before, but I found it to be quite repetitive. After the first few fights, you've pretty much seen it all. However, the abilities you acquire are really cool. Lot of potential marred by weak battle/enemy design. The occasional bosses that I've fought against spiced things up a bit, but it didn't help in the grand scheme of things.
DualSense features are awesome. It just feels so natural having a bit of haptic feedback for every step Jesse takes. And the adaptive triggers add a lot to the Service Weapon.

Graphics/Performance: played the PS5 version in performance mode and it ran like a charm. Looked very pretty, too. Graphics mode was even more gorgeous but it ran at 30fps which I can't deal with any more :D

Audio: Great use of sound effects, music (which cut out occasionally during the first 2-3 hours) and dialogue which helped with the creepy atmosphere.

Setting/atmosphere/story/lore: Loved it all. Thankfully no jumpscares :p
The ending was a bit anticlimactic. Not the ending of the plot but rather how it was handled gameplay-wise.

It's an interesting game. Control had me hooked right from the start with its creepy tone and mystery but almost lost me a few times due to the gameplay's repetitiveness. The narrative always pulled me back in, though.

Not bad, not great. A solid experience :peace:

Will go for the Platinum as I feel like some sidequests and whatever is left to do (acquiring ability points, doing some alerts) will push me further into the game's lore. Pretty sure there are lots more of case files, audio logs and videos to find :)

Edited by drahkon
  • Like 2

KLq85Dg.jpg

There it is :D

Had to acquire a few more ability points so I decided to give the DLC I haven't played, yet, a go: The Foundation.

Atmosphere and mystery were top-notch with this one, too. No surprises there.
It also had some new powers for me to use. They were pretty neat. Made going through the DLC a little less repetitive. Some areas, however, did overstay their welcome.

There was one side mission which was really cool (if a little long): I'll leave a video of that mission in a spoiler tag:

Spoiler

This is what I wanted more of. Action sequences that utilize your powers.

Anyways, gotta say that The Foundation actually improved my impressions of Control as a whole. It was a little more varied than the base game.

Edited by drahkon

Sign in to follow this