NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
drahkon

CONTROL (XB1, PS4, PC)

CONTROL: “A supernatural 3rd person action-adventure”.

After a secretive agency in New York is invaded by an otherworldly threat, you become the new Director struggling to regain Control. From developer Remedy Entertainment, this supernatural 3rd person action-adventure will challenge you to master the combination of supernatural abilities, modifiable loadouts, and reactive environments while fighting through a deep and unpredictable world.

CONTROL is scheduled to release in 2019 for PS4/PS4 Pro, Xbox One/Xbox One X, PC (digital only)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Really like the look of this. Alan Wake is one of my favourite games from the last gen and although I didn't finish It, I really enjoyed what I played of Quantum Break.

Looks like they've taken what they did in Quantum Break and have mixed in some Infamous. They're saying as well that it'll be a less linear experience so with the mix of game styles, I'm really interested to see how it all comes together.

And on a more general note, I'm happy to see Remedy making games for multiple platforms. I've always thought Microsoft struggled with figuring out how to market the last 2 Remedy titles so hopefully 505 Games can manage that a bit better. Still sucks that it's not the Alan Wake sequel I've been waiting for for years but I'll take it.

Watching the gameplay with the Playstation guys and hearing the guys over at EZA talk about how excited they were for the game after seeing it has me excited for seeing and hearing more myself. The gameplay looks great and I live how smooth it is going between the powers and gunplay. Getting to use the environment against enemies as you see in the gameplay looks fantastic. Very crisp.

Hopefully it'll be a mid 2019 title. I think we'll probably see a bit more at Gamescom and then another showing at E3 next year but hopefully it'll fall in that June-August timeframe as something like this could do well there as it's typically a quiet release period what with the start of the year and the end typically being stacked now.

Control will be the cover and focus of Game Informer's April edition:

2019-04-cover-800h.jpg

Control puts you in the shoes of Jesse Faden, a young woman who seeks to discover more about who she is while finding answers to questions she's had about the supernatural her entire life. Her search brings her to the Federal Bureau of Control, a government branch that heads paranormal investigations. Upon her arrival, however, an otherworldly threat has taken over the headquarters and threatens to possess or kill everything in its sight. As Jesse, it's up to you to harness control over this entity with everything you've got.

During our cover story trip, we learned about Jesse's powerful abilities, such as levitation, launching almost anything with telekinesis, and "seizing" the minds of enemies so they work alongside her instead. We got hands-on impressions, a better understanding of the enigmatic astral plane, and the mysteries to be found in the ever-shifting headquarters of the Bureau, known as The Oldest House.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I'm looking forward to seeing and hearing more about this from Game Informer. Love the work that Remedy do (I still want them to go back to Alan Wake because of that damned ending!!!) and this looks to continue their quirky third person action game style so it's an instant win for me.

Hopefully we'll have a release date for this soon. I did wonder if they'd manage an early 2019 release but that window has closed so I wonder if they'll risk a September release. We don't really know what else is hitting in the latter half of the year and I'd suspect it won't be as chaotic as last year so it would be a good place to go. But as E3 rolls around, that may change and it could end up experiencing a Shadow of the Tomb Raider style release where sales are just swallowed up by everything else.

We'll see by its one of my eagerly anticipated titles for the year (alongside Biomutant if that ever resurfaces).

Ohhh, "essentially chooses her". Anyone else have to go back and turn on closed captions for that? :blank:

After the Xbox store leaked the release date, Remedy have announced it'll be out on August 27th on all platforms. I had hoped that it would've launched a bit earlier in the summer than that but it's found itself a nice spot right at the start of the typical period of heavy releases so it could and should hopefully work out for them.

• Like 1

New trailer for this:

It looks fantastic. Very action focused. From the hands on going around it sounds great too. A few saying there are some rough edges currently but the game is still 5 months out so hopefully they'll get sorted. Will be putting my pre-order down closer to release as I can't wait to play it. Hoping it does well for Remedy as we really need to have an Alan Wake sequel (well, I want a sequel, a proper one anyway).

Hands on impressions out of E3 are pretty much glowing from what I've seen around the net and on Twitter. My hype has gone through the roof as well as I'm replaying Alan Wake at the moment and I have Quantum Break to jump on afterwards so I'm well and truly in the Remedy mindset at the moment and can't wait to play this. I put my pre-order in earlier today and just want it to be August as this is my most anticipated game of the year currently (though The Outer Worlds looks and sounds great also).

Launch trailer for the game:

It's out next week and I can't wait to get my hands on it. It looks fantastic and those who've played it have only good things to say about it so far. Bring on next Tuesday.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Ganepark32 said:

It's out next week and I can't wait to get my hands on it. It looks fantastic and those who've played it have only good things to say about it so far. Bring on next Tuesday.

Are you buying it digitally? With it being a Tuesday release, Shopto and Simply Games may send it early and get it to customers this Saturday.

2 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Are you buying it digitally? With it being a Tuesday release, Shopto and Simply Games may send it early and get it to customers this Saturday.

No, I've got a pre-order in with my local GAME as I have some trade in credit. Did originally have it pre-ordered for the PS4 but the heat my PS4 is giving off at the back of the unit and on top near the power supply has me worried it'll just for playing anything new. Even playing Tetris Effect briefly the other night I had to turn off because of the heat, and that's with the fan clear. Hoping it'll manage a little longer for Concrete Genie and such but until then, I'm making full use of the Xbox One for multiformat games and for Game Pass.

Would've loved to get it a couple of days early with those places but I've got Gears 4 to play through for the first time in prep for playing 5 (and thanks to Game Pass Ultimate, I'll be playing it on the 6th which is a nice bonus) until Tuesday so happy enough to wait that little bit more.

Edited by Ganepark32
  • Thanks 1

I was lucky enough to get this from Simply Games today. I've been playing on and off since midday and going by my trophy unlocks, I'm about halfway through the game (5 of 10 chapters).

Its a bit of a mixed bag. Story wise I couldn't tell you what the hell is going on. The game just kinda drops you in the middle of something and most of the stuff just wasn't making sense to me. So much so that I've just started skipping the cutscenes as I'm not getting anything out of it. I suppose all of the collectibles that are kicking about would help fill in what's going on but I've always hated this way of story telling. I'd much rather have a Kojima style 20 minute cutscene. :D 

There are performance issues with the game.

Firstly, my base PS4 sounds like a jet engine running this game, especially during combat. It goes quiet when in the menus but going back to the game makes the fans flare up again.

Secondly, the game's framerate nosedives when fighting. When you're battling away with groups of enemies, throwing projectiles and firing your weapons, the game just can't keep up. It may be better on a Pro and X but on a base machine it really struggles.

Next up, the game is slow to load up textures. There have been countless times where I was looking where to go but couldn't read the signs because the game hadn't loaded them up in time.

The load times are also pretty rough. I haven't died that many times but when I have it took a while to get back into the game.

Despite all of these issues the game has been an absolute blast to play. It's kind of like a mix between The Force Unleashed and Psi-Ops. The different ways you can take on enemies makes the game so much fun.

During combat I was using my powers to lift debris into the air, throw it at an enemy, using his body as a projectile for another enemy, taking control of some newly spawned bad guys and then firing away with what is essentially a shotgun.

It feels great to pull off all of these moves and that's not even all of them. You can also jump and then do a flying evade to fly through the air and rip up the ground to create a shield for yourself.

All of these powers start off at a base level and then can be powered up to add more abilities to them. For example, the rock shield I mentioned can be levelled up and then it gets the ability to firing the shield at the enemies, turning a defensive move into an attacking one.

Outside of the main missions are some side quests, my favourite being ones that are timed. These missions seem to just pop up randomly and you have a set time to get to the location of it and complete it. If you run out of time or die then the mission is failed and you have to wait until another pops up. These have been the most challenging thing in the game so far.

So, yeah, great gameplay but the game is hampered by some technical issues and a story that hasn't gripped me at all. I do wonder if another patch (I already downloaded one) will be released on Tuesday.

The game is finished and the credits have rolled.

Pretty short game, really. It also was pretty easy. Outside of a couple of the side mission bosses the game was pretty much a breeze. Although I do imagine the difficulty is hard to balance when there are so many different powers at your disposal.

I did really love the gameplay but the characters, setting and story did absolutely nothing for me. I imagine if the story does hook you then the game will be something special for you.

11 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Firstly, my base PS4 sounds like a jet engine running this game, especially during combat. It goes quiet when in the menus but going back to the game makes the fans flare up again.

Isn't that the same with any AAA PS4 game though?

Funnily enough God of War was the opposite for me. The console felt like it was going to take off every time I went into the menu, but then calmed down a little bit when in gameplay :laughing:

2 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

Isn't that the same with any AAA PS4 game though?

Funnily enough God of War was the opposite for me. The console felt like it was going to take off every time I went into the menu, but then calmed down a little bit when in gameplay :laughing:

Mine has never been that bad. It's only this year that it's started to get really loud. I assume this is down to the age of it (5years) and the fact I've never opened it up to give it a clean...not that you should have to. Playing this has certainly been the worst it's ever been though. 

28 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Pretty short game, really. It also was pretty easy. Outside of a couple of the side mission bosses the game was pretty much a breeze. Although I do imagine the difficulty is hard to balance when there are so many different powers at your disposal.

How many hours did it take you? And is there only one difficulty?

3 minutes ago, drahkon said:

How many hours did it take you? And is there only one difficulty?

About 12 hours. Just remember though that I did skip a bunch of cutscenes. 

When I started the game there didn't seem to be a difficulty option and I'm looking at the options screen now and can't see anything.

• Thanks 1

Easy Allies Review is up now, Control does look good and I have more of an idea what it's about now, it's not a game I can justify buying at launch with so much coming out.

I'd consider giving it a go though, at the right time and for the right price, it looks like it is going to sell pretty well, how well though? It remains to be seen.

Going by the fact that this is yet another game which is pushing not only the base model hardware but the upgraded consoles as well, I wouldn't be surprised to see it on next gen too.

Or just a suitable performance bump which would make the game play better on newer hardware, obviously depending on when newer hardware is released.

Sign in to follow this