NEurope
Hero-of-Time

Starlink: Battle for Atlas (do a barrel roll!)

On 10/22/2018 at 6:41 PM, Kaepora_Gaebora said:

So I blew £69.99 on the boxed version and...haven't even opened it yet 🙈

Partly because any game time I have I'm still predominantly playing Monster Hunter but also...it all just looks so pretty boxed up and untouched, I'm half wondering whether in a few years it might be worth a few Bob, especially if it hasn't been selling THAT well. 

Still really want to play the game itself, though! What a dilemma...

At the rate it's selling it'll more likely to an Amiibo Festival situation and be £15 in a few months.

On 24/10/2018 at 11:52 AM, Rob3008 said:

At the rate it's selling it'll more likely to an Amiibo Festival situation and be £15 in a few months.

Fingers crossed, and in a few years.. $$$

Found the Switch starter pack of this for the equivalent of £35 and tempted to buy it. But with it already hitting that price, I suspect it will be even cheaper in January.

I was getting Xmas gifts for the kids today and saw this down from 70euro to 45euro.....feck it, bought it :)

With still playing Pokemon Let's Go Pikachu and Smash in a few weeks though I just left it with my kids gifts hidden in me moms house. Will probably wrap it up as a gift to myself haha

• Haha 1

Is this worth it? Can I finish the game with this set? Thx.

PS Is the physical copy inside this set, or just a code?

d8e5e7cafccaa9d68e6adfdda172e3c7.jpg

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L21 using Tapatalk

31 minutes ago, Kounan said:

Is this worth it? Can I finish the game with this set? Thx.

PS Is the physical copy inside this set, or just a code?

You can finish the game with the starter set and you get a physical copy of the game with it.

You can finish the game with the starter set and you get a physical copy of the game with it.
Thx :). It looks like a good price, so I am going to order it.

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L21 using Tapatalk

In hindsight (well, not really), Ubisoft were about 5 years too late for a toys to life game, especially one that doesn't rely on brand recognition like Nintendo, Disney etc. The Star Fox connection definitely got it more sales, but this sounds like an absolute disaster otherwise. Seems pretty fun from what I've seen of it, with a surprising amount of depth.

5 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

In hindsight (well, not really), Ubisoft were about 5 years too late for a toys to life game, especially one that doesn't rely on brand recognition like Nintendo, Disney etc. The Star Fox connection definitely got it more sales, but this sounds like an absolute disaster otherwise. Seems pretty fun from what I've seen of it, with a surprising amount of depth.

Its been an absolute bomb on all fronts. The starter pack dropped in price very quickly and now all of the extra ships and accessories are half price at various shops. Ubisoft must have lost a lot of money on the project. 

Honestly, I'm looking forward to playing it. I think I'll fire it up once I'm done with the World of Light mode on Smash Bros.

I started playing this yesterday evening and I'm sad to say it's pretty garbage, so much so that I traded it in this morning while I still had the chance to still get some money back on it.

The cutscenes, dialogue, characters and story are very cringe worthy. I eventually started skipping the scenes because of how awful they were. Annoyingly the chatter continues when playing the game, as you get various bits of info and story drops being communicated to you while you are trying to go about your business.

Graphically the game is a bit of a mess on the Switch. There are lots of pop ins, both texture and environments, and the game looks a little blurry at times. All of these are even worse when trying it in handheld mode.

I was surprised to see that you can play the game without faffing about with the toys. I just left them in the box and the game asks you if you want to just use a digital ship. This was a welcome addition.

For the few hours I played it the missions were already getting repetitive and some of the control decisions weren't helping the situation either.

Its a shame I didn't end up liking the game as I was looking forward to playing through it. With all of the issues it has there was no way I was willing to spend the 20+ hours it takes to beat the game, hence me trading it in. Sadly, even the Starfox license couldn't save this for me.

• Thanks 3
  • Sad 1

Was thinking of getting the starter set for my younger brother, what with Amazon selling it for £19.99 right now. I thought it looked pretty good from watching someone else playing it, is it worth that much or should I get him Overcooked 2 instead?

12 minutes ago, Emerald Emblem said:

Was thinking of getting the starter set for my younger brother, what with Amazon selling it for £19.99 right now. I thought it looked pretty good from watching someone else playing it, is it worth that much or should I get him Overcooked 2 instead?

Overcooked 2 is by far the better game.

24 minutes ago, Emerald Emblem said:

To offer another point of view, whilst I haven't played Starlink myself, it's at 74% on Metacritic with an 80% user review score so it seems some people like it.

Personally found Overcooked got boring after about 20 minutes and haven't touched it since.

@Emerald Emblem does your brother have any nostalgia or feelings towards the Starfox franchise? I know that alone helped carry the game for a few who did enjoy it and if he doesn't really care for the series then I'd certainly give this a miss.

Another thought is that if you do buy it for him and he does like it then at least he'll be able to pick up any other ships he wants for dirt cheap.

Or just wait another couple of days and it'll probably be down to like £8 the way things are going

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

Or just wait another couple of days and it'll probably be down to like £8 the way things are going

I still can't get over how fast retailers are dropping the price of the thing. I suppose they need to clear out the inventory for shelf space. It's easily one of the biggest price bombs in recent times. 

13 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

If it hits £10, I'll probably buy it for the Arwing. I don't really care about the game at all..

This must be the only fairly big release on the Switch to have flopped sales-wise? Even 1-2-Switch, which is one of the worst games I've ever played, sold a few million copies due to being one of the first games released and it having motion controls.

Noticed quite a few people started playing this since Christmas, anymore impressions?

Looks like it’s under 20 quid pretty much everywhere now, but I’ve still managed to resist picking up a copy. :hehe: Will definitely bite at a tenner though. :D Would be nice to be on the other side of one of these insane price drop bombs for once, as I rarely seem to benefit from them. *remembers buying Chibi-Robo Zip Lash at full price* :( I really enjoyed that game regardless, but it was still annoying seeing it in the bargain bin so soon.

I’d forgotten about Chibi-Robo Zip Lash. Right in the quiet wasteland between Wii U and Switch :blank: *

* glad you liked it though obv

So I got this for Christmas (paid around £20 for it) and I’ve played it for a few hours today.  So far I’m enjoying it and I don’t really understand the flak it’s been getting.  Would it have been better without all the toys to life gubbins and instead with a normal progression unlock tree?  Yeah, it probably would have. I quite like having having Arwing model though.  It’s nicely sculpted and the painting is quite good.

Weirdly it reminds me of Mass Effect Andromeda which, considering it’s not on the Switch, isn’t an entirely bad thing.

The inclusion of StarFox is a nice bonus and it does make you wonder if Nintendo would let Ubisoft make an entire StarFox game using the tools.

• Thanks 1

I just got it, will try the game out and then wait till I finish some other games. I like the toys, they look really nice.

I hope I like the game and if I do, I'll probably get all of the toys.

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

OK So, I have finished the first mission and I think that I like the game. The controls are good in my opinion, but I understand the complaint about some repetitive missions.

What I don't like are the weapons you get with the airwing as I don't have the feeling that I am the one aiming (I prefer bullets, lasers, something that goes straight so you have to aim more....).

I probably have to see the rest of the game to get a proper opinion.

Edited by Kounan
  • Thanks 1

It makes me think of the original Assassin's Creed. It's a good concept that'll probably make a great 2nd game, but it has a lot of repetitive stuff. I've mostly enjoyed it so far though.

Good stuff - The alien worlds look really spectacular. Seamlessly flying through space from planet to planet and then going through the atmosphere is done really well. Outside of combat I like the handling, you get a really good sense of speed hovering around planets. 

Not so good stuff - The models are immediately undermined in the starter set. The only way to use the other ship or shredder weapon is to ditch the models entirely and play digitally (unless you go out and buy all the models). The outposts get repetitive fast. Find outpost, get given generic fetch/scan quest. Handling in combat can feel a bit sluggish and frustrating at times. I've died a couple of times and it feels more unfair than me just playing badly.