NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
RedShell

My Friend Pedro (2019)

I have no idea what I just watched but I liked it. And yes I got a very Deadpool vibe from it too.

48 minutes ago, RedShell said:

Suddenly, Bananas! :laughing:

George-Costanza-Point-Wink-On-Seinfeld.g

This was a pleasant surprise. I only watched Devolver's conference for the hilarity.

But this game has sparked my interest. Bullet Ballet looks like fun.

• Like 1

2018, officially the year of the Banana? :D

MK League, Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze and now this?

That's a lot of potassium in a short space of time. :p

• Haha 1

This looks completely unadulterated, unabashedly, nonsensical fun!

Edited by Kav

Deadpool+MaxPayne+Shadow Complex(now there’s a sequel MS should’ve funded). 

Looks fun

Preposterous. Spanish bananas are female. First the frogs, but now the water is also making bananas gay? I don't recognize this country anymore.

In all seriousness, I'm legitimately confused as to the role that the banana plays in the gameplay itself. It's intriguing.

I could swear the game was super violent and gory when they showed it off at E3. Maybe there's an option in the Settings

9 hours ago, Ronnie said:

I could swear the game was super violent and gory when they showed it off at E3. Maybe there's an option in the Settings

They just toned it down for the direct. The game is still violent and gory as seen in the latest trailer. As for whether it'll have an option in-game, or that less violent footage was specifically created for the direct by the dev, we'll have to wait and see.

Personally, I'm not fussed either way. As long as I get to kick basket balls at people's faces, I'm good:

:laughing:

• Haha 2
  • Weird 1

Oh, I'm so glad this is coming out on Switch. It was the second best thing about Devolver Digital's E3 conference. The best thing was the conference itself.

content-4-35818-myfriendpedrobanner.jpg

Up on the front page, PR and hype-train release date trailer! :D 

I was just about to let @RedShell know but it looks like I don't need to. :grin:

Can't wait to play this one! :peace:

• Like 1

Read that there’s 15% off if you preorder. Still may wait for the reviews even though this game looks absolutely fantastic. 

Just a reminder that this is out today. No reviews yet but positive impressions on Twitter. 

• Thanks 1

Launch trailer:

Can't wait to play this later! Really hope it lives up to the hype. :bouncy:
Also, I had no idea it started out as a Flash game! (Man, I miss Flash :():

:cool:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Hey now, Flash was great for animation and some fun games. It just shouldn't have been railroaded into websites. 

That being said, the animation in that launch trailer is amazing. 

• Like 1

Flash was shit for animation, and I cringe everytime I see a game or animation that still has that Flash-style animation.

But to get back on topic.. It is a pretty cool trailer. But sorely lacking any basketball action unfortunately.

Edited by Sméagol
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Sméagol said:

Flash was shit for animation

That’s like saying pencils are shit for drawing. :heh: Sure there was plenty of bad animation done in Flash, but that will have always been due to the individual rather than the tool itself. Flash was actually a very good program to animate with, but knowledge of traditional animation was essential to get the best out of it. The scripting aspect of Flash was also very cool. Not sure if you were around here back then, but we used to have quite a lot of Flash content here on N-E to celebrate game releases. Countdowns and site headers that were interactive and sometimes even playable. Anyone remember that stuff? ;) 

Anyway, back to My Friend Pedro. I played this for a bit yesterday and while I’m not enjoying it quite as much as I was expecting to, I think it’s mainly down to the controls. It’s just kind of confusing to keep track of all the different moves and abilities... activating and deactivating slo-mo, dodging, rolling, jumping, kicking, shooting, reloading, aiming, splitting your aim... there’s a lot going on. I’m pretty confident that once it all clicks I’ll start to enjoy the game much more, already noticed this actually by replaying a few of the earlier levels.

Get the feeling this won’t be a very long game, but it seems to be built around replaying the levels for high scores and speed runs, which I like. So yeah, hopefully I can get completely used to the controls/mechanics and really get into that stuff. :) 

Yeah, from what I gather from reviews, controls seem to be the main point for the reviewers to complain about. It does also seem a bit complicated. I wonder how it works on PC?

2 hours ago, RedShell said:

Get the feeling this won’t be a very long game, but it seems to be built around replaying the levels for high scores and speed runs, which I like. So yeah, hopefully I can get completely used to the controls/mechanics and really get into that stuff. :) 

That does seem to be the case. From what i've read it's about a 3-4 hour game.

7 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

That does seem to be the case. From what i've read it's about a 3-4 hour game.

Yep, credits just rolled and that's probably around how long I've played.

This is definitely a case of a game that looks a lot cooler (and funnier) in the trailers than it is in reality. One of the things I really missed in the actual game was Pedro's voice. All the dialogue in-game is text only, if they'd have just got the voice from the ads in there it would've certainly helped the entertainment value and overall character. There were still some funny moments, but I expected a bit more from it really. :hmm:

Have to cut it some slack though, seeing as it's basically a one man project.

• Thanks 3

Sign in to follow this