NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Hero-of-Time

Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice (2019)

Totally forgot that this was out today. It's getting really great reviews :) 

One of my mate's pre-ordered it, guess I'll have to bother him quite soon. :D 

I would have looked at the reviews but I've been too busy grinding in the game. :D

Taken a break to eat, also turned off the PS4 to let it cool for a bit, will be starting it up again soon though.

Might as well check the reviews quickly I suppose...

89 on Metaciritc with just 15 scored reviews, not bad.

Feels like a solid 9 to me, but that may change as I play more.

Speaking of which... *switches on PS4*

It's good crack so far. The jump/wall jump mechanics are a bit loose and the movement feels a bit off in general but the combat is good fun. I get the feeling that the minibosses will repeatedly hand my arse to me - definitely worth dealing a stealth blow first to get a free hit on their life bar (or however you're meant to refer to the tiered health system.)

Edited by dwarf
  • Thanks 1

I must have accidentally resurrected... pressed the wrong button without realising. :(

There are consequences, got to make things right now, to do that I have to get to the end of the stage I'm grinding on.

But to do that, I have to defeat the mini-boss, a load of enemies and then the main boss.

That has proven tricky, so I'm grinding again until I've got all the skills I need.

Then I can make things right, the damn autosave is as much a curse as it is a blessing.

I ended up grinding to get almost all the skills, still couldn't beat the mini-boss, so just skipped past, got to a tougher mini-boss, still not the main boss and then called it a night.

I'll get there, it'll just take time.

I found watching the above video helpful - still currently watching - obviously spoilers if you haven't played any of Sekiro but if you're playing and you're stuck then it's worth a watch.

Just before the one hour mark, I found out how to beat the first mini-boss I'm stuck at, so will give that a go later.

I'm curious to see if it goes up to the second point I got stuck at after skipping the first mini-boss...

I reckon later on tonight, I'll go on the attack at those points I got stuck at with a fresh perspective and some newfound determination... :D

... or just give up again and grind some more. :p

Edit - Just finished watching that entire video... well that's going to change how I go about the game completely.

Will give it another go later hopefully.

Edited by S.C.G

I can tell From Software had a lot of fun designing the Guardian Ape boss. I have never felt quite as fucked with in one of their games before. I adore the combat though, it takes a lot of its mentality from fighting games, and I feel like all the bosses and minibosses have such great, fleshed out movesets that they could be their own characters in a FS fighting game. 

It reminds me of playing fighting games before the internet just gave you all the frame data, where you'd have to figure out what moves are plus on block, correct spacing versus specific characters, and looking for animation tells by eyeballing it and playing the matchup again and again.

Edited by The Bard
  • Thanks 1

Sadly I haven't been back to Sekiro in over a month despite enjoying the game, I will go back though especially since its been updated.

In the meantime though...

It was inevitable I suppose. :p

• Haha 1
  • Weird 1

This really didn’t get much attention here did it? Any fans out there?

Since it finally dropped below £30 on the store I decided to finally chalk this one off. Big soulsbourne fan, but I like to space them out, and Bloodborne wasn’t too long ago for me.

Everything I read about this game was what you had to unlearn (from previous souls games). Now I’d read this before Bloodborne as well, and still found the games very similar - Bloodborne was just a little quicker, required less patience.

Sekiro on the other hand is TOTALLY different, and I found the first 10 hours of this really tough because of that. I kept circling enemies and bosses waiting for any opening, but the passivity gave me nothing and meant when I got struck down in one or two hits I knew I was playing it wrong.

Turns out it’s more of a rhythm action game. You got to learn the timings of each enemy attack, block accordingly, jump/parry as necessary, and interject with attacks when possible. It honestly reminds me more of Elite Beat Agents than Dark souls. 

In between bosses it’s more of a puzzle - navigate the environment and enemy placement with as little risk as possible. 

Anyway, loving it.

Edited by LazyBoy
  • Like 3

I was a big fan (got the platinum trophy) but just didn't post much in here about it. It's a great game and challenging. There's a specific boss that you fight in a flashback that is really quite hard, and man, clearing it was such a great feeling. Can't recommend this game enough.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LazyBoy said:

It honestly reminds me more of Elite Beat Agents than Dark souls. 

If you're trying to sell me on Sekiro, well played 😅

After clearing Dark Souls Remastered on Switch, I don't think I ever want to play a similar game again. I assumed that would include Sekiro but you may have changed my mind!

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, nekunando said:

If you're trying to sell me on Sekiro, well played 😅

After clearing Dark Souls Remastered on Switch, I don't think I ever want to play a similar game again. I assumed that would include Sekiro but you may have changed my mind!

Sekiro is far more difficult than the Souls games, just so you know.

19 minutes ago, Sheikah said:

Sekiro is far more difficult than the Souls games, just so you know.

I'm not against difficulty but the structure, movement and overall feel are important. I found Dark Souls to be much too clumsy and several sections took so much willpower to get through that I just don't want to deal with again.. much like Xenoblade Chronicles on Wii.

I'm glad I played them both, especially as they both go against my usual instincts, but they definitely took their toll!

44 minutes ago, nekunando said:

I'm not against difficulty but the structure, movement and overall feel are important. I found Dark Souls to be much too clumsy and several sections took so much willpower to get through that I just don't want to deal with again.. much like Xenoblade Chronicles on Wii.

I'm glad I played them both, especially as they both go against my usual instincts, but they definitely took their toll!

If you're worried about games needing willpower to get through certain sections then this will absolutely not be the game for you. :laughing: 

7 hours ago, LazyBoy said:

This really didn’t get much attention here did it? Any fans out there?

I played and platinumed it last year but talked about it in the Gaming Diary thread rather than here.

For me, it’s definitely the best out of the From games that I’ve played. No grinding, no calling for help, it’s all on the player to master the mechanics the game provides.

Like Shiekah mentioned, one boss fight is crazy hard. It’s probably the toughest boss fight out of any game I’ve played but the sense of satisfaction when I finally bested it was amazing.

@nekunando I agree with Sheikah in that I don’t think the game is for you. Then again, you were warned about getting an Xbox and that fell upon deaf ears. That being the case, I expect you to be posting pictures of your newly bought copy of Sekiro very soon. :D 

Sign in to follow this