NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Hero-of-Time

Devil May Cry 5 (Spring 2019)

Glowing impressions from Jim.

Looks like Capcom have delivered 2 amazing games in the space of 8 weeks. Roll on Friday!

• Thanks 1

Ah fuck. I was only going to buy either this or Sekiro this month.

Looks like it'll be both...

• Haha 1

@Hero-of-Time I've noticed you already got trophies for this game. Has the time finally come where you automatically get trophies whenever a game gets released or did you get your copy early? :p 

Is it as good as I want it to be? Please say no, because I don't know if I can afford it right now.

• Haha 2

Yeah, it's pretty great.

I haven't been Dante yet but out of Nero and V and I like playing as V more. Controlling his demons to do your bidding is great. :D 

There are a couple of things I'm not keen on. I'm not a fan of how the story is being played out. It's dotting all over the place and I much prefer one to be told in a more linear fashion. The second thing is that I hate Nico's voice. It's sounds like they couldn't decide on what accent she should have and the end product just sounds really off and weird.

• Thanks 1

I've just finished chapter 12 and there is a hilarious cutscene that occurs after it.

Spoiler

Nico gives Dante a hat as a gift for their first meeting. Dante tries it on for size, the lights go out, a spotlight hits him and then he proceeds to do some kind of Michael Jackson dance routine. 

I was in stitches. :D This game continues to surprise and deliver the goods.

• Thanks 1

I started playing this earlier this evening... nearly six hours later and I think it's time to call it a night/morning/whatever. :D

I've just finished (or am about to once I get past this boss) Mission 03 on Devil Hunter difficulty and I haven't used any red orbs to revive yet. ;)

The checkpoint system is generous enough as it is, plus each time you retry from a checkpoint, chances are that there are more orbs nearby.

So by using the checkpoint system you actually get stronger and you learn new tactics until you finally defeat the boss.

This is much better than expending resources I reckon and it means you make the most of your Devil Breakers as well.

Really enjoying the game so far... nagative points? Nope... not really, nothing that's hampered my enjoyment at all so far. :peace:

Edited by S.C.G
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I reached chapter 16 last night and but to call it a night and go to bed. I was hoping to get to done before today but now i'm sat at work and have to wait until this evening before I can get back to it. :( I've loved what i've played so far though. Having 3 different characters to play as, all having 3 different ways to play, really keeps you on your toes and keeps the combat encounters fresh.

I've been able to get through the game pretty speedily due to me playing on the easiest difficulty. I LOVE the DMC series but I absolutely suck at playing these types of games. I'm the same with Bayonetta ( don't love those but I do suck at them ) and have to play those on easy in order for me to enjoy them. I'm glad the platinum is insanely difficult ( S rank every mode which includes one where a single hit will mean a failure ) which means I have been able to ignore the trophies and just play through the game without trying for any of them. 

One thing that i'm not big on is how dodging is implemented in this. You have to hold a couple of buttons together to pull it off. I would have much preferred it to be a single button. When you are trying to fight off a bunch of enemies the last thing you want to do is press multiple buttons to be able to get out of the way. Not that it really matters much because due to the difficulty level i'm playing on I haven't really been in danger of dying in anyway. :D 

Yesterday a thing in the game got spoiled for me. I was watching a video on YouTube while eating my breakkie and one of the video's that was suggested/recommend had a spoiler in the title of it. It was pretty annoying because the only DMCV content I had watched was the Jimpressions video and the final trailer. YouTube just decided to throw every bit on DMCV coverage my way after that. It didn't help that the YouTuber was posting videos and clearly purposely spoiling things for people.

In the DMCV thread over on Era there was a Capcom rep participating in the discussion and few people had flagged this YouTuber for posting spoilers left and right. The Capcom rep reported him to the higher ups and his videos were taken down. That's what the tosser gets.

• Thanks 2

Apart from playing DMC 4 for about an hour years ago on the 360 (think I have it a go at a friend's house), I've no experience with the franchise but I've ended up picking up this myself. I'd finished up Metro Exodus and wasn't feeling the new Trials because of a variety of issues with the game so it was a toss up between this and Far Cry New Dawn but I've kind of had my fill of open world games for the time being so ended up choosing this.

No idea what to expect. Trailers looked good and I loved the original Bayonetta so if this scratches that type of itch, I'll be happy. It's also something that I won't be slogging through for hours and hours on end so should sit nicely with my current replay of Mass Effect 2.

Looking forward to diving in later today.

• Like 2

And it's done. The final fights were absolutely fantastic. Cracking music and very frantic. Great stuff.

Spoiler

Dante being bitch slapped and just happy to lie there, along with Nero give the finger to Vergil before turning into his devil form, were both hilarious moments. :D 

Fantastic game although I still think that Devil May Cry 3 is the pinnacle of the series, with this being a very close second.

The engine Capcom are using for their games makes for some absolutely mind blowing graphics. Both this and Resident Evil 2 are easily two of the best looking games this generation in terms of character models. I love it how they create the characters with realistic flaws. For example, the teeth aren't pristine white and have stains on them or are a little crooked. It's much like what GG done with Aloy and other characters in Horizon.

One disappointment in the game was the music. There were long stretches in the game where it was pretty much silent. They really should have put some music in these parts because it felt really odd. When it does kick in though it's hard not to get hyped and jump into battle head on.

Between this, the HD port of Onimusha and Resident Evil, Capcom have really delivered at the start of this year.

• Thanks 2

Glad to see the microtransactions are almost non existent, the original news of them had made me completely uninterested in the game. 

Noticed this game is going for £40 everywhere, aren't new releases usually £50+ nowadays?

1 minute ago, Mandalore said:

Glad to see the microtransactions are almost non existent, the original news of them had made me completely uninterested in the game. 

Noticed this game is going for £40 everywhere, aren't new releases usually £50+ nowadays?

Yeah, it was the same with Resident Evil 2. That was also under £40.

It's hilarious when you think how much they are selling these for and then how much they are charging for the old Resident Evil games on the Switch.

I didn't get a chance to play any more Devil May Cry 5 last night due to me playing it so much the previous night... :D

...but I did get around to watching the above developer interview from Easy Allies where Ben Moore talks with Matt Walker about DMC5 and keeping Capcom relevant.

It's a really interesting video and as much as Capcom can be a company of two halves, I am very grateful for their output on the majority of platforms. :peace:

Resident Evil VII, Monster Hunter World, Resident Evil 2 and now Devil May Cry 5... all within the space of just over two years. :bowdown:

I can't wait to get back into playing some more Devil May Cry 5, I left it right at the start of the chapter where you get to take control of V for the first time.

I've only played a little of this so far (just finished off Mission 2 and the boss fight there) and I think I'm enjoying it.

I'm struggling a bit with the controls and wrapping my head around things. The lock on and switching between targets when it the midst of a fight with multiple targets seems to be a bit fiddly from my experience and dodging is just a pain to pull off with the combination of buttons needed to do it. I just can't find the right timing for dodging to the point I only just managed to get through the Goliath boss fight because I just kept getting hit.

Any tips or truicks for getting used to things? It's been a while since I've played this style of game (probably have to go all the way back to the original Bayonetta for that so yeah, a long time). I'm hoping it'll all just click with more play and I'll be managing combos better. Even though I'm only playing on Human setting, I'm not wanting to simply spam or bludgeon my way through. I'd like to really get to grips with it as I'm enjoying the weirdness of everything even if I have no idea what's going on.

I will say that the game looks incredible. That RE Engine really is a fantastic piece of kit because the characters and detail in the world is just top tier. The enemy designs are just brilliant and I'm just amazed at it looking this great and running as well as it does on the base PS4.

Obviously going to be putting more time into it. Interested to see how the either characters play and just interested to see more. As I say, hopefully the controls will click after a bit more time with it and I'll be able to get those S ranks and higher.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Ganepark32 said:

I've only played a little of this so far (just finished off Mission 2 and the boss fight there) and I think I'm enjoying it.

I'm struggling a bit with the controls and wrapping my head around things. The lock on and switching between targets when it the midst of a fight with multiple targets seems to be a bit fiddly from my experience and dodging is just a pain to pull off with the combination of buttons needed to do it. I just can't find the right timing for dodging to the point I only just managed to get through the Goliath boss fight because I just kept getting hit.

Any tips or tricks for getting used to things? It's been a while since I've played this style of game (probably have to go all the way back to the original Bayonetta for that so yeah, a long time). I'm hoping it'll all just click with more play and I'll be managing combos better. Even though I'm only playing on Human setting, I'm not wanting to simply spam or bludgeon my way through. I'd like to really get to grips with it as I'm enjoying the weirdness of everything even if I have no idea what's going on.

I will say that the game looks incredible. That RE Engine really is a fantastic piece of kit because the characters and detail in the world is just top tier. The enemy designs are just brilliant and I'm just amazed at it looking this great and running as well as it does on the base PS4.

Obviously going to be putting more time into it. Interested to see how the either characters play and just interested to see more. As I say, hopefully the controls will click after a bit more time with it and I'll be able to get those S ranks and higher.

It gets better, trust me. :D

Yeah, the controls are a bit tricky but from what I remember, Devil May Cry 4 had similar dodging mechanics... although that was a while ago, so i might just be remembering something else which was mapped to right shoulder, direction and another button but at least it means that you can't dodge by accident, although not that it would be a bad thing... unless you dodged right into another enemies attack; it's a tricky on that's for certain.

Hmm, the last DMC game I completed was DMC4 so it has been a while for me as well, though I did dabble in DmC (maybe I'll complete the remaster of that) but I have played both Bayonetta games so I might have a little bit more experience, though it should not matter that much here. I am playing on Devil Hunter dificulty and I had trouble on both main bosses I've faced so far but it was great learning how to fight them and I kept going back, refusing to use any red orbs or gold orbs to resurrect and instead just retrying from checkpoint... I've found it's the best way to learn.

You probably figured this out already but in the main big arena where you end up fighting the Goliath there are two green health items and two devil breakers, so making use of those at the right moments can be helpful, I seemed to just wait until he charged directly at me or waited for the three swipes and then just locked onto his horns with a charged sword ready and let him have it, knowing that I'd have to dodge away only three seconds later as he recovers quite quickly, the rest is just dodging his ranged attacks such as the fireball and the vortex which drags you in, if you get caught by the vortex, just sever one of your Devil Breakers... it's the best way to mitigate damage, just make sure you do it in time or you'll still take damage and lose an arm in the process.

The next boss doesn't get any easier, so it's best to learn what you can early on but don't worry about it too much, it took me a good few hours just to get through three chapters. :peace:

Everything looks and sounds amazing in the game, proving the versatility of the RE Engine, it even makes better use of it than both of the RE games I think, it really brings the world of Devil May Cry to life in ways which I wouldn't have thought possible before, I can remember when DMC4 came out and that looked amazing for its time, I'm sure that the remaster still looks good enough but compared to DMC5... it'll likely feel like a step back.

I meant to play through all the DMC games that I hadn't tried yet before this game came out, needless to say that didn't happen but I do intend to go back and at the very least play through Devil May Cry 3 as I really regret not playing that game to this day and I have had... four chances now as I own the NTSC PS2 version, PAL PS2 version, PS3 HD remaster and the PS4 HD remaster... so erm, soon? :p (though now I've been wondering what it would be like if they were to redo the older games in the new engine... no! the remasters are enough... don't keep making excuses not to play DMC3!) :laughing:

In summary, Devil May Cry is one of the greatest Capcom series which I'm only really half-familiar with but really love all the same. :heart:

52 minutes ago, S.C.G said:

I meant to play through all the DMC games that I hadn't tried yet before this game came out, needless to say that didn't happen but I do intend to go back and at the very least play through Devil May Cry 3 as I really regret not playing that game to this day and I have had... four chances now as I own the NTSC PS2 version, PAL PS2 version, PS3 HD remaster and the PS4 HD remaster... so erm, soon? :p (though now I've been wondering what it would be like if they were to redo the older games in the new engine... no! the remasters are enough... don't keep making excuses not to play DMC3!) :laughing:

You've not played Devil May Cry 3 before playing this? You sir have lost my respect. :mad: :nono:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Hero-of-Time said:

You've not played Devil May Cry 3 before playing this? You sir have lost my respect. :mad: :nono:

It's not like I didn't want to... :(

And it seems like I'm not the only one...

On 08/03/2019 at 11:42 AM, Ganepark32 said:

Apart from playing DMC 4 for about an hour years ago on the 360 (think I have it a go at a friend's house), I've no experience with the franchise but I've ended up picking up this myself.

(not that this makes it right for either of us)

I just thought that seeing as I'd waited this long, maybe going back after 5 to play DMC3 would have had more of an impact for me... it seems that I was wrong however.

Well, I'm only up to Chapter 4 and I don't feel like I've ruined anything for myself so far, so I know what I'm doing tonight instead of playing DMC5 then...

...Devil May Cry 3 full playthrough, if that's what I have to do to attempt to make things right then so be it.

Really though, by this logic surely the damage would have been done by me playing only DMC and DMC4 already seeing as DMC3 is the first chronologically.

I guess the pay-off in DMC5 really does mean I need to play the third game first to fully appreciate it.

For what it's worth, I really did intend to have them all played at the start of this year (not that I haven't had ample chance already) I did make some progress and then... well, the start to this year wasn't the greatest (I'll tell you about it another time) but still... I'll play DMC 3 before playing DMC 5 any further, assuming it's not too late? My reference to the story in the rest of the series is hazy at best so I'd say that this is a salvageable situation.

Well, I do have two weeks off now so I guess it's time for me to make things right with the Devil May Cry series.

So the chronological order is...

Devil May Cry 3 (manga), Devil May Cry 3: Dante's Awakening, Devil May Cry, Devil May Cry: The Animated Series, Devil May Cry 2, Devil May Cry 4, Devil May Cry 5: Before the Nightmare...

And then Devil May Cry 5

OK, I reckon I'm up to the challenge. :cool:

This should be an interesting couple of weeks. :D

I let Ganepark off the hook because he hasn't got multiple versions of DMC3 sitting on his shelf! :p 

In all seriousness, just play what makes you happy. If you're enjoying V then continuing playing it. 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I let Ganepark off the hook because he hasn't got multiple versions of DMC3 sitting on his shelf! :p 

In all seriousness, just play what makes you happy. If you're enjoying V then continuing playing it. 

Fair enough... :blush: I am a bit embarrased to say the least though as I have always meant to play through the entire series.

I am enjoying V but... knowing that I'm probably going to miss out on a huge pay-off if I continue without playing (or replaying) the previous games, I'd rather do it right.

And right now does make sense, I do have some time off plus I really do want to get some games played in addition to sorting out some other stuff.

So the DMC complete series (not including DmC) ;) challenge gauntlet has been thrown down and accepted. :peace:

(and yes, I totally ordered the mangas plus the anime series :p definitely looking forward to them though) :D

The anime isn't that great. I bought it a fair few years back and  was very disappointed in it.

I'd skip DMC2. That game is hot garbage and doesn't deserve to be part of the series.

1 minute ago, Hero-of-Time said:

The anime isn't that great. I bought it a fair few years back and  was very disappointed in it.

I'd skip DMC2. That game is hot garbage and doesn't deserve to be part of the series.

Ah well... I'll watch it anyway and maybe sell it while the price is probably good due to renewed series interest. :D (I had a CEX voucher refund to use up anyway)

Yes... I'd heard that about DMC2... but now that just makes me all the more curious to try it at the very least, maybe I'll just coast through it on normal difficulty with a few drinks, I'm sure it'll be at least entertaining in some small way. ;)

I'm going to be properly focused for DMC3 though, the main reason I didn't get to play it when it first came out was that I didn't even have a PS2 at the time, but I did make the effort to play through at least some of the classics a few years later, especially Metal Gear Solid 3 which remains one of my favourite games of all time. :heart:

So I'm expecting nothing less than brilliance from Devil May Cry 3, especially as I already like DMC4 a lot and DMC5 has definitely left a solid impression on me.

As for the original DMC? I still like it a fair amount, I also like that looking back it is probably the weirdest of all the games in the series... but in a good way.

It has an atmosphere to it which hasn't really been matched in any other game since and it really put the series on the map before DMC2... did what it did. :p

I suppose it makes DMC3 all the more memorable for its time of release, now it seems like we get a proper DMC game every decade or so.

This is another reason why I'm so glad that we got Devil May Cry 5... I think we're really lucky to have it and I can't help but wonder if we'll get any more, but I sure hope so! :peace:

*fingers crossed for the sales figures*

The original DMC was a fantastic game but it hasn't aged well. The controls, along with the fixed camera, can make for a fiddly experience. Like Onimusha, the voice work is pretty awful by today's standards. I agree though, the atmosphere in that game is top tier.

DMC2 wasn't even a DMC game. Granted, the original started off as an other game too but with the second game it was rushed and the DMC setting shoehorned into it to try quickly and capitilise on the success of the first game. At least the game is super short and features one of the best visually designed Dante's in the series.

The trailer for DMC3 is absolutely spectacular. It's easily one of my favourite gaming trailers.

Maybe I love DMC3 so much because it introduced me to Monster Hunter. The original release came with a demo disc for the original Monster Hunter and it was there where I got my first taste of hunting action.

• Like 1

Nothing beats the DMC 3 Tournament videos from back in the day.

Good old 240p. :D 

With the end of the year fast approaching and it being GOTY time, I decided to jump back onto this and try again. I had started and got to the end of mission 3 on PS4 but I kind of fell of the game because I was struggling to wrap my head around the controls and combos to get higher rankings. I think a few other things rolled around so I just left the game behind. Thankfully, it's up on Game Pass so I started it from fresh yesterday and I have to say, I've been enjoying it a lot more this time around.

I'm only up to mission 6, so further along than last time, but it clicked this time and I'm finding the controls less problematic. I do still feel like I am button mashing to a degree but I am understanding the need to delay presses for different combos so there is definite progress on that front for me. Playing as Nero is still maybe where I'm not managing to be as smooth and stylish in combat as I want to be, where I'm balancing out at B ranks for fights at most. But having just played through the last 2 missions as V, I've managed far better in combat and have been repeatedly hitting A ranks but more often S ranks.

I really like V's play style with the demons and the mixing up of offensive and defensive strategies against enemies, and especially bosses. Weirdly, it feels more natural to me than playing as Nero (I realise I'm probably in the minority on that) and makes a nice change from being the one slicing and dicing.

So yeah, enjoying it a lot this time round. Always loved the style of it when it released, as visually the game is stunning and the enemy designs are superb. I don't really have much to say on the narrative as it's not what's drawing me in. This is the first DMC game I'm playing through so I'm probably missing out on the minutae of the story but ignoring that and taking it as an action game alone, it's great. Can't wait to play more. Haven't yet decided whether I like this more than Astral Chain yet but it's close at the moment.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Played two missions just now.

IT'S FUCKING AWESOME :D Smooth, violent, stylish gameplay. Love it.

Thanks to the Special Edition I got some sweet bonuses. One of which is a particular devil breaker which alters the jump:

Spoiler

:laughing:

I will probably never get used to playing with V.
Somehow my brain can't adjust to the fact that inputs are in relation to his position and the way he's facing. I always focus on shadows and make directional inputs based on them.

He's still very fun to play as. It's a very distinct playstyle which I generally don't enjoy, but here - even though I'm incapable of fighting properly - it brings a smile to my face :D

If DMC 5 stays true to the 20 missions formula then I'm now halfway through. It's been a blast so far and I doubt that'll change much.

Sign in to follow this