NEurope
Hero-of-Time

Tales of Vesperia: Definitive Edition

It was announced at the Xbox conference last night but Namco have now confirmed it will release on other platforms, including the Switch. 

Thanks to @Ike for the heads up.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So, how will this version of Tales of- rate when compared to Tales of Symphonia (the only one I've played) and Tales of Berseria, which I've heard is really good. I've been holding off of buying Berseria for my PC because I knew that a Switch Tales-game was coming, but is this a good Tales of-tale?

One of my all time favourite JRPGs, let alone Tales games, personally rate it higher than Symphonia. The fact it's coming to the Switch was a wonderful surprise and will definitely be the version I will get, heck I may Double dip on PS4 and maybe even buy it on Steam when it goes on sale.

Edited by Emerald Emblem
  • Thanks 2

Tears of joy were shed at this announcement at the Xbox briefing and that was just when I only knew it was coming to the Xbox One...

...finding out that it's coming to all platforms including the Switch, is definitely one of the highlights of E3 2018 so far for me. :D

There used to be a time when Tales of Symphonia was my undisputed favourite and the GameCube version still remains one of the best in the series.

But when it comes to Tales of Vesperia... I really enjoyed playing through the game originally when it came out on the Xbox 360 all those years ago, it was just pure magic. :smile:

Part of me liked it being exclusive to the Xbox 360 platform at the time but the Tales of... series has changed a lot over the years, it's only right for it to shine brightly.

I feel like it will shine brightest on Switch as well, obviously depending on how it's handled, you would think this would be an easy decision but knowing it's multiplatform...

We shall see... if it ports well and it really should, then of course I'll be getting it on Switch but who knows... I may end up getting the Xbox One version instead of or as well as.

This is all despite owning most Tales of... games on the either PS3 or PS4 as well, maybe I'll get all three in time... but I'd rather just buy it once and be happy. :peace:

The allure of getting to play Tales of Vesperia complete with all the dlc, on a Nintendo platform, with the original GameCube controller I beat Tales of Symphonia with, is very strong. ;) 

Anyway, in summary... you really need to play this fantastic game in the Tales of... series as it has some of the best characters, story and world I've even known in any JRPG. :cool:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Fantastic news, like many others, one my favourite Tales of game. I have Switch, but I will get it for the PS4 day 1.

• Thanks 1

I'm super happy with this, memories came flooding back during the announcement trailer. I cannot wait to play this with my brother again. Blah Blah Blah Meteor Storm!!:bouncy:

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

January continues to be an onslaught of games.

And this will be right at the top of mine.

Edited by Emerald Emblem

So my copy of the limited edition arrived today, man does this take me back. After getting through the first part of the game it's just such a lovely nostalgia trip, the visuals are kinda dated by this point but other than that I'm enjoying playing it.

• Thanks 1

I haven't played a JRPG since I gave Ni No Kuni 2 a go last year and I didn't take to that, which left me wondering whether I was done with the genre as I find myself enjoying western RPGs more. But with this releasing, I thought I'd give it a go as I have fond memories of playing Tales of Symphonia and loving that game (though Baten Kaitos will forever be my favourite GameCube JRPG out of the two).

I've put in an hour so far, gotten to Deidon Hold and so far, it's ok. Obviously, it's very early beginnings and I intend to invest more time into it to get a proper feel for things but it's feeling a little clunky, a little dated from the hour. And the melodrama of the beginning in terms of the story hasn't exactly grabbed me. But that being said, I'm still hoping it'll dig it's fingers into me and I'll end up enjoying it as it's been a long time since I've properly enjoyed a JRPG and this is more a tester to see if I can get back into the genre. Here's hoping.

• Like 2

The battling is more sluggish than I recalled also. It has slightly picked up I guess by raising my agility but having a method to slowly fix a problem doesn't mean the problem wasn't there to start with. Enjoyable as Tales games go, but I'm 15 hours in and it's only around now that the "fate of the world" style questing has finally come to the forefront. People really bitched about some of the voice actors changing, not really an issue as I barely remember the game. Judith seems to have a different voice in battle though. It's plodding along nicely though.

I'm gutted I didn't get the special edition as with previous Tales', but that's what I get for leaving it too late.

Sadly it does not match up to Tales of Graces.

• Thanks 1

On 1/22/2019 at 7:44 AM, EEVILMURRAY said:

The battling is more sluggish than I recalled also. It has slightly picked up I guess by raising my agility but having a method to slowly fix a problem doesn't mean the problem wasn't there to start with. Enjoyable as Tales games go, but I'm 15 hours in and it's only around now that the "fate of the world" style questing has finally come to the forefront. People really bitched about some of the voice actors changing, not really an issue as I barely remember the game. Judith seems to have a different voice in battle though. It's plodding along nicely though.

I'm gutted I didn't get the special edition as with previous Tales', but that's what I get for leaving it too late.

Sadly it does not match up to Tales of Graces.

I'd love them to release Tales of Graces on Switch! i played that to death!

I'm about 4 hours into it and i'm not enjoying the battle system too much, Arts on the sick does not feel right, i'd like to remap them to the D-pad really. Blocking also feels strange but that could have been at the start and how the first boss had to be played.

Overall though i do love the style and characters i've encountered so far

4 minutes ago, Agent Gibbs said:

I'd love them to release Tales of Graces on Switch! i played that to death!

I'm about 4 hours into it and i'm not enjoying the battle system too much, Arts on the sick does not feel right, i'd like to remap them to the D-pad really. Blocking also feels strange but that could have been at the start and how the first boss had to be played.

Fuck yeah. Graces all the way.

Artes on the L stick isn't that bad, just wait until you try mapping them to the R stick. Which I tried once and never again, I'm not clawing my hand when I can just edit the L stick artes.

I haven't played a JRPG since I gave Ni No Kuni 2 a go last year and I didn't take to that, which left me wondering whether I was done with the genre as I find myself enjoying western RPGs more. But with this releasing, I thought I'd give it a go as I have fond memories of playing Tales of Symphonia and loving that game (though Baten Kaitos will forever be my favourite GameCube JRPG out of the two).
I've put in an hour so far, gotten to Deidon Hold and so far, it's ok. Obviously, it's very early beginnings and I intend to invest more time into it to get a proper feel for things but it's feeling a little clunky, a little dated from the hour. And the melodrama of the beginning in terms of the story hasn't exactly grabbed me. But that being said, I'm still hoping it'll dig it's fingers into me and I'll end up enjoying it as it's been a long time since I've properly enjoyed a JRPG and this is more a tester to see if I can get back into the genre. Here's hoping.
Out of interest, have you checked out the new Dragon Quest on PS4?

How does this compare to Tales of Symphonia?

That was one of my fav games on the GameCube.

10 minutes ago, Mokong said:

How does this compare to Tales of Symphonia?

That was one of my fav games on the GameCube.

It compares very favourably indeed, I'd go as far to say that I rank it almost equally alongside Symphonia as one of my favourite Tales of... games.

I was planning on writing a review for it, no idea when it will be done but I already played in on the Xbox 360 back in the day so most of my opinion is based on that.

The version on the Switch runs very nicely indeed though, better on the big screen but perfectly playable in portable mode as well.

You're really in for a treat with this one as it has one of the best sets of characters, overworld maps and story as well. :D

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Cheers Sam, that's likely all the push I need to get this so :)

The question is when....

• Thanks 1

Picked this up today looking forward to starting it later :)

• Like 3

So I went ahead and bought this, even though Symphonia (the only other Tales game I've played) was a bit overated in my opinion. However I hadn't picked up a proper JRPG in a while, and I was looking for something meaty.

I'm enjoying it having spent about 10 hours with it so far. I'm digging into the nuances of the combat a lot more than I did with Symphonia, and it's paying dividends in combat. Most surprising though is that I'm enjoying the story; where normally I find JRPG's to be generic melodramatic garbage, the pacing of this one is really carrying me through. The characters (though still laced with that weird Japanese infantilaisation) are in fact characters for the most part, and not cut outs.  

And I'm role playing the entire thing from the perspective of the dog, which gives it a couple points on the scoreboard. 

• Like 2

Downloaded this for a tenner in the recent sale. I was unsure about was going digital as I would have preferred to have the cart and box, but a bargain is a bargain. I've only played Phantasia (GBA) and Symphonia I & II and immediately Vesperia has clicked with me. 

Interesting to read back in this thread about the battle controls and artes not feeling right. Now that I think about it, something about the combat doesn't seem as good or flowing as I remember in the Symphonias. If not for this thread, I would've put that down to me still being in the initial stages--recently got overlimits so I am very much still in the "learning the game" phase. I got wiped out by an early forest boss (wiped out so hard that I thought it was a forced death or a New Game + boss) so there could well be something on the tactical side I haven't figured out yet. Would be nice to carry more than 15 of each item as the party seem to show no mercy at burning through gels as soon as their HP or TP bars begin to deplete, which is something I am trying to find a happy medium for. 

For all these years, I thought the main character looked like a Sheena rip-off, and with the kid that looks like Lloyd, and the dog being sort of similar to Noishe, I figured Vesperia was just Symphonia for the HD non-Nintendo crowd. Needless to say I am happy to be proved wrong. :p 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Seeing as darksnowman gave the thread a bump, I figure I would post this here. Japan had a survey about their most played Tales games, favourite battle systems and best opening themes. Here are the results.

15 most-played Tales of games

1. Tales of the Abyss
  2. Tales of Vesperia
  3. Tales of Symphonia
  4. Tales of Xillia
  5. Tales of Graces/Tales of Graces f
  6. Tales of Berseria
  7. Tales of Xillia 2
  8. Tales of the Rays
  9. Tales of Zestiria
  10. Tales of Eternia
  11. Tales of Phantasia
  12. Tales of Destiny
  13. Tales of Destiny 2
  14. Tales of Rebirth
  15. Tales of Crestoria

10 most memorable theme songs

1. “Karma” by Bump of Chicken (Tales of the Abyss)
  2. “Starry Heavens” by day after tomorrow (Tales of Symphonia)
  3. “Yume de Aru You ni” by DEEN (Tales of Destiny)
  4. “Kane wo Narashite” by Bonnie Pink (Tales of Vesperia)
  5. “Song 4 u” by Ayumi Hamasaki (Tales of Xillia 2)
  6. “Yume wa Owaranai ~Kobore Ochiru Toki no Shizuku~” by Yukari Yoshida/Yomi (Tales of Phantasia)
  7. “Soshite Boku ni Dekiru Koto” by day after tomorrow (Tales of Symphonia)
  8. “key to my heart” by Mai Kuraki (Tales of Destiny 2)
  9. “progress” by Ayumi Hamasaki (Tales of Xillia)
  10. “Mamoritai ~White Wishes~” by BoA (Tales of Graces)

Top 10 Tales of battle systems

1. Tales of Graces/Tales of Graces f
  2. Tales of Vesperia
  3. Tales of the Abyss
  4. Tales of Berseria
  5. Tales of Xillia 2
  6. Tales of Destiny 2
  7. Tales of Xillia
  8. Tales of Destiny
  9. Tales of Rebirth
  10. Tales of Eternia

Happy to see Symphonia didn't come out on top. The game is stupidly overrated.

I agree with Karma being the top song but Xilla's opening being so low, as well as the complete disregard of Tales of Beseria's song, is a travesty.

• Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, Ike said:

I really need to get round to playing Beseria at some point. And Vesperia.

I adored Beseria. Easily my fav Tales game. The cast of characters are so interesting and not at all what you've come to expect from a JRPG crew. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Seeing as darksnowman gave the thread a bump, I figure I would post this here. Japan had a survey about their most played Tales games, favourite battle systems and best opening themes. Here are the results.

5 most-played Tales of games

1. Tales of the Abyss
  2. Tales of Vesperia
  3. Tales of Symphonia
  4. Tales of Xillia
  5. Tales of Graces/Tales of Graces f
  6. Tales of Berseria
  7. Tales of Xillia 2
  8. Tales of the Rays
  9. Tales of Zestiria
  10. Tales of Eternia
  11. Tales of Phantasia
  12. Tales of Destiny
  13. Tales of Destiny 2
  14. Tales of Rebirth
  15. Tales of Crestoria

10 most memorable theme songs

1. “Karma” by Bump of Chicken (Tales of the Abyss)
  2. “Starry Heavens” by day after tomorrow (Tales of Symphonia)
  3. “Yume de Aru You ni” by DEEN (Tales of Destiny)
  4. “Kane wo Narashite” by Bonnie Pink (Tales of Vesperia)
  5. “Song 4 u” by Ayumi Hamasaki (Tales of Xillia 2)
  6. “Yume wa Owaranai ~Kobore Ochiru Toki no Shizuku~” by Yukari Yoshida/Yomi (Tales of Phantasia)
  7. “Soshite Boku ni Dekiru Koto” by day after tomorrow (Tales of Symphonia)
  8. “key to my heart” by Mai Kuraki (Tales of Destiny 2)
  9. “progress” by Ayumi Hamasaki (Tales of Xillia)
  10. “Mamoritai ~White Wishes~” by BoA (Tales of Graces)

Top 10 Tales of battle systems

1. Tales of Graces/Tales of Graces f
  2. Tales of Vesperia
  3. Tales of the Abyss
  4. Tales of Berseria
  5. Tales of Xillia 2
  6. Tales of Destiny 2
  7. Tales of Xillia
  8. Tales of Destiny
  9. Tales of Rebirth
  10. Tales of Eternia

Very interesting to see how the top Battle System rankings don't really correspond well with Most-Played games...

Just goes to show that an RPG is so much more than just its battle system.  And that's where the Tales of series has really fallen off in recent years.  Abyss was the last game that really had substantial gameplay outside of its battles (and even that was a big drop off from Symphonia in that regard), as the series has pushed to become more and more combat focused at the expense of literally everything else (Tales of Graces perhaps being the biggest inflection point for this.  Hell, even the poll results bear this out!).

Edited by Dcubed
  • Thanks 1

At least in terms of quality, I disagree about the series dropping off in recent years. Xilla was a great game (never played the sequel) and as I mentioned earlier, Beseria is my favourite and that's the most recent. It only got a bad rap dude to communities like Era kicking up a fuss over Velvet's design. I think the only one that really got panned was Zesteria but I've not played that one yet and so I can't comment on it.