NEurope
bob

Just Cause 4

I know it hasn't been officially announced yet, but there are so many leaks now, it's basically confirmed, and I can't keep my excitement quelled.

Here are some more leaked screenshots:

Spoiler

ZyljCU8.jpg

8Wp2SVT.jpg

Pl1Lcro.jpg

rtD9lwT.jpg

QZXcXAJ.jpg

vdfxoeF.jpg

stb0O0x.jpg

LWitOlD.jpg

Looks like it will be set in a more tropical setting this time, perhaps back in Panau? Also, those tornados seem to hint at some dynamic weather, which should be cool. I hope they aren't just spontaneous traps that you can get caught in while parachuting. Rather, i'd prefer it if you could fly through them, and use them to slingshot yourself around. I'd love to have some battles in the air with a load of enemy helicopters while zooming between tornados or something.

Can't wait!

• Like 1

South America then. Looks like Mayan temple on the third picture.

Anyway, looking forward to it.

Someone zoomed into the number plate on that car and it's apparently a Costa Rican plate, so South American makes sense. Some kind of made up SA country under some dictators thumb......a just cause.

"Gameplay demo" my arse. But anyways, more Just Cause is never a bad thing! Really hyped for this!

The reveal made me fire up Just Cause 3 again. Time to go through those DLC's!

So this is out today, and it's been getting mixed reviews. Some poor looking graphics glitches doing the rounds too.

I won't be getting my copy until Xmas, so I can't comment on it until then. Has anyone else got it? Impressions?

25 minutes ago, bob said:

So this is out today, and it's been getting mixed reviews. Some poor looking graphics glitches doing the rounds too.

I won't be getting my copy until Xmas, so I can't comment on it until then. Has anyone else got it? Impressions?

I won’t be getting this until sometime next year as it clashes with Smash Bros.

Hopefully those issues are being exaggerated, and if not, will be fixed by the time I get around to playing the game. :grin:

Watched a digital foundry vid on this the other day and they were actually being quite positive about the performance, although I believe it was based on the PC version. I’m sure they’ll have a console analysis video up soon though. I’m most interested in how the standard PS4 runs the game, as that’s how I’ll be playing it.

Edited by RedShell

Just Cause 3 was a bit of a mess when it first launched as well but things were improved over time. You do right by waiting because I imagine it's going to be a similar situation with this one.

1 hour ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Just Cause 3 was a bit of a mess when it first launched as well but things were improved over time. You do right by waiting because I imagine it's going to be a similar situation with this one.

True, although I think JC3 might’ve even been a bit better at launch! Pretty sure they somehow managed to mess up certain aspects with the later patches, which is bonkers. :hehe: 

TBH the performance issues of that game never really bothered me anyway, well... other than the load times, they were, and I believe still are, horrible. :shakehead But the fact that the frame rate would absolutely tank during massive explosions was actually something I quite enjoyed! Added to the spectacle. :grin: 

True, although I think JC3 might’ve even been a bit better at launch! Pretty sure they somehow managed to mess up certain aspects with the later patches, which is bonkers. :hehe: 
TBH the performance issues of that game never really bothered me anyway, well... other than the load times, they were, and I believe still are, horrible. :shakehead But the fact that the frame rate would absolutely tank during massive explosions was actually something I quite enjoyed! Added to the spectacle. :grin: 
I genuinely never even noticed any performance issues on JC3. People always go on about the framerate dropping below 50 or 40, but I don't really think I would notice unless it was at single figures. I'm not sure how they know without having a FPS counter tbh.

Yeah, the load times and the dodgy motorcycle handling were the only crappy things I noticed in JC3.

18 minutes ago, bob said:

I genuinely never even noticed any performance issues on JC3. People always go on about the framerate dropping below 50 or 40, but I don't really think I would notice unless it was at single figures. I'm not sure how they know without having a FPS counter tbh.

Yeah, the load times and the dodgy motorcycle handling were the only crappy things I noticed in JC3.

It’s just one of those things where some people are more susceptible to it than others. I think it probably affects younger players more as well, seeing as they’ve generally had much less exposure to low frame rates than those of us that were playing games in the earlier generations. :hehe: 

Edited by RedShell

I played 3 on PC, and that was fine except for the horrible load times. I'm gonna give 4 a go, but it'll have to wait until next year. Too many games releasing now, so I think Smash and Gris will be the last games for me for a couple of months.

...but THEN it's Just Cause time!

• Like 2

There are some unhappy people over on Reddit listing issues with the game. I'm not sure if these are just a vocal minority though, with the game currently sitting on 75% on Metacritic...

I've noticed some graphical isses here and there but it's nothing i'd post on the internet about.

There was one wierd glitch i saw at the airport though. Plane was standing on the runway, rotated 90 degrees upwards and just levitated upwards before turning right way up and flying as normal.

Noticed the load times for respawning and loading into the game is super quick compared to JC3

Edited by martinist
  • Thanks 2

I've come to the conclusion that Just Cause isn't a series I'm ever going to really get into.

It's cool that it exists but... I have a feeling this entry will do a lot better once the price hits less than £20 and once it's had a few patches.

Surely this might be the last one now though? Either that or quite a break between this game and the next I reckon.

I feel like it's a series which started out strong and beyond the technical advancements, it seems to have strayed somewhat from what it started out as.

I'm by no means any expert on the series at all though, it's just the general impression I get from it.

So I got this for my birthday, and finally got a chance to play it last night.

Wow. I thought people might have been overreacting about the graphics, or at least that they might have been patched out by now. They are pretty ropey - especially in cut scenes. Right at the beginning, when Rico falls and ends up in that puddle? For me the water didn't render, so he was just standing in a hollow, but the floor and plants were kind of rippling around his feet? Bizarre.

Everything else so far is classic Just Cause though. Crap voice acting. B movie scripts. Explosions everywhere (when I was walking into the main rebel town at the beginning of the game, a plane randomly falls out of the sky and explodes in the road in front of me). Love it.

I only played the first mission or two of this, and then went to go and play Yakuza 0 instead. After finishing that, I wasn't sure I was in the mood to get stuck into this, but having fired it up over the weekend, I remembered just how much i loved JC games. There's nothing quite like the feeling of launching yourself off a cliff and zipping down towards the enemy base. Really loving the addition of the magic balloons as well. Was playing around with one of those huge round refinery tanks; ripped off all the feet to loosen it, then attached several floaty balloons to the top. Finally attached some boosters to the side, hopped on, and rode my spherical steed to victory! Or at least, i rode it until some fucker shot at it, and it blew up, killing me in the process. 

Really itching to get back home and play it some more! 

• Like 1

Man this game is a bit of a glitchy mess. I played some more of it at the weekend, and I don't think there was a single mission that I did which didn't have some kind of glitch or bug (mostly in the AI).

In one mission, I was supposed to be protecting a blimp from blowing up while they downloaded some plans, and the blimp blew up anyway, but they carried on downloading, and congratulated me on my success with bit of tattered blimp raining down around me.

In another, I was supposed to escape from chasing government forces, without exiting the car. But the government forces never showed up, and after driving around for 10 minutes looking for them, I got out of the car and failed the mission.

• Haha 3

Still not got around to picking this up yet, but it's sounding like I might be doing myself a favour there. :heh:

Probably not long to go before this is under a tenner, at which point I'll grab a copy.

1 hour ago, RedShell said:

Still not got around to picking this up yet, but it's sounding like I might be doing myself a favour there. :heh:

Probably not long to go before this is under a tenner, at which point I'll grab a copy.

I mean, it's still Just Cause. For a tenner you know exactly what you're going to get.

The game needed another few months in the oven I think.

So i've been playing this on and off for a few weeks now, and finally managed to complete the main story of the games few nights ago. The game just feels so......rushed? Unfinished? I've seen lots of complaints about the graphics, but honestly I think those are great. Sometimes you get a strange cloud or two, but on the whole I don't have a lot fo complaints on the graphics front. The gameplay too is fine. It still massively fun to play, and all the additional mechanics they've added make for an almost unlimited amount of things to do, if you have the imagination.

Unfortunately, it's the rest of the game that seems to have suffered. I would say roughly a quarter of the missions I played suffered from some sort of glitch, and around a third of those glitches were game-breaking and needed a restart. The one that happened most was when the wave of enemies that I was supposed to fight off failed to materialise, and I couldn't finish the mission until i'd killed the non-existent enemies.

The story was thread-bare to the point of basically being non-existent. Obviously JC games are not famed for their storyline, but if you cut all the waffle out of the cut-scenes, you could probably explain the entire story in about 15 seconds. 

The mission variety was getting pretty samey by the end as well. Most of the missions involved 'hacking' into several terminals, or destroying several generators, then protecting something for 3 minutes until the cavalry arrives. Most of the time, this was pretty easy too - I think I only died a handful of times actually completing missions. The large majority of my deaths in this game was accidentally wing-suiting full speed into something (my fault), and the rest were when my vehicle randomly exploded with no warning (games fault).

I did enjoy the ancient statue missions where you need to use the grapple to move giant stone balls around the map. They were actually quite fun, and I feel like more missions where you use your abilities in creative ways should have been added. 

Sometimes I feel like the developers spent more time putting Easter Eggs into the game than basic game design though - I stumbled across a recreation of the velociraptor enclosure from Jurassic Park, complete with a man's disembodied arm draped across a console. That was fun.

Anywho - fun game, but I will seriously reconsider buying the inevitable JC5 unless they spend a bit more time on the mission design/story element.

• Thanks 1