NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Julius

Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order (November 15th 2019)

Yeah, it looked fine. Good even but definitely didn't wow me. Has got that mix of Uncharted and God Of War Reboot about it but some bits looked a bit off, mainly the platforming. Combat looked like there's plenty of scope for using your powers in interesting ways which should hopefully mean it doesn't end up feeling stale quickly. And it looks great visually. See EA, you don't need to use the Frostbite engine to have a good looking game (and one that'll probably work and run a damn sight better than most games that aren't Battlefield on that mess of an engine).

So still cautiously optimistic but I think I need to see more as there's definitely plenty of good points but a few small rough edges in my eyes.

Actually looks alright; if a bit basic with its combat mechanics, platforming and level design.

It's tempting to be cynical about the whole thing, but what they showed looks alright really.  Refreshingly honest; can't remember the last time a AAA publisher just released an actual gameplay trailer!

I get the feeling that there won't be enough variety in its mechanics, platforming, enemies and set pieces to sustain its length (repetition was already starting to creep in in just this short gameplay snippet), but honestly? It looks fine.

Edited by Dcubed

Wow, tough crowd. That's EA for you I guess.

Loved it, looked beautfiul, plenty of fun mechanics on show. The music felt very Star Wars too. Hopefully like God of War there are more open areas you can explore a bit, not quite to that scale obviously but something that takes you off the beaten path.

Overall though it feels great to have a game like this in a sea of openworld/mulitplayer titles.

1 hour ago, Ronnie said:

Wow, tough crowd. That's EA for you I guess.

Loved it, looked beautfiul, plenty of fun mechanics on show. The music felt very Star Wars too. Hopefully like God of War there are more open areas you can explore a bit, not quite to that scale obviously but something that takes you off the beaten path.

Overall though it feels great to have a game like this in a sea of openworld/mulitplayer titles.

I liked it....but then I loved both of The Force Unleashed games as well.

As long as the game has a good story and lets me use the force powers in creative ways ( which it looks to do ) then I'm a happy chappy.

Edited by Hero-of-Time
  • Like 1

IGN guys really confused why the livestream showed such a small low-key segment of the game. Apparently there's tons more stuff in the demo stations, including piloting an AT-AT and a hub world/space travel!

Quote from Duggan: "This looks like it could be Game of the Show material"

Cool trailer. 

Pretty on the fence about the gameplay that we saw yesterday -- definitely think it was a weird section to show off, and it felt like it was the mission after a major setpiece. Gameplay looked kind of fun, if somewhat a little clunky? 

The Wookiees don't look all that great in my opinion, either. ::shrug:

Still, I'll be there day one. But I can't feel like that's more because I'm a Star Wars fan than actually being sold on the game itself. 

Highly recommended read, based on an exclusive two day visit to Respawn: https://www.gameinformer.com/feature/2019/06/08/the-true-power-of-the-force

A few highlights I picked out

- Somewhat Metroidvania in structure. Freely explore worlds, and come back later with new powers to reach new areas
- 50:50 brand new to well known planets.
- Each world has a hub where the ship lands. Player can "return to rest up, save, apply skill points, and spark conversations with characters to learn more about them, the worlds, and overall story."
- No waypoint/dotted line to destination system. BD-1 projects a real-time holographic map. "We’ll mark an objective on their map that is well off in the distance in the fog of war, and the player has to figure out how to discover and explore toward that.”
- Ship, droid, character customisable
- Flight to new planets is done in real-time, no loading screens, "giving the player time to engage with the different activities on the ship"
- BD-1 sounds designed by Ben Burtt. Ship designs by Doug Chiang.

Since Cal doesn’t heal over time during combat, he needs to rely on health canisters to get a boost on the fly. If his health is low, he can snap his fingers or ask BD for help (performed by pressing up on the d-pad). The canister pops out of a compartment in BD’s casing, and Cal catches it, and within just a second, applies it to himself for an immediate shot of health. These health canisters function exactly like Dark Souls’ Estus Flasks, and won’t replenish until the player finds a save point or returns to The Stinger Mantis. Retreating to a save point comes with a risk, however, as enemies will respawn. Determining when to burn health canisters is part of the strategy tied to exploration. BD periodically leaps off of Cal’s back to gather items he sees that can be used to synthesize new canisters. Asmussen says obtaining additional canisters is a significant reward, as BD starts the game with only two of them.

Exploration also unearths other chest types that contain cosmetic items to change the way Cal, BD, and The Stinger Mantis look. And yes, lightsaber parts are a part of that equation. If a blue blade isn’t your style, you can find different colors, hilts, and other components that alter the saber’s overall design. Just don’t expect to get a red blade for a Jedi.

“We’re an action-adventure game with a ton of different obstacles you can run into,” Magers adds. “We’ve got the wall-run, we’ve got vines you can swing from, balance beams, climbs – we’ve got a big suite of these traversal tools and toys, and where it gets really fun is when we start to string those together.” Magers says there are some instances where Cal will be wall-running and have to execute Force powers mid-sprint in order to unlock new paths before he reaches the end.

Kashyyyk was an impressive first look that featured plenty of puzzles and reveals I don’t want to spoil for you. This gameplay slice takes place roughly a few hours into the game, and lasts for around 30 minutes, which Asmussen says gives us a look of just 15 to 20 percent of this planet, implying Jedi: Fallen Order may be somewhat lengthy.

Seems that 15 demo during EA Play did a terrible job of selling/explaining the game and focused more on the combat side of things.

Worth a read:

Open letter from the Game Director + 25 mins of gameplay

I'm not watching personally, want to go in as spoiler free as possible, but for anyone curious about the structure of the game...

Last but not least, we would like to share the full demo video with all of you.  The top of the demo showcases a hand-crafted sequence we refer to internally as a Star Wars™ moment. Midway through look out for a small peek into our planet hopping system, an example of an upgrade/acquire, as well as our Metroid inspired map (in action).  We sincerely hope you enjoy!

It's nice to see devs so open about inspirations and not be so close-minded when talking about their game. Stig mentions Metroid, Castevania and the Souls games in the above link.

Edited by Ronnie

Okay, watched the first 5 minutes of that 25 min gameplay demo. It looks pretty rad. My hype for this game has gone from 8% to around 74%. I'll keep an eye on it, and for the review scores. No way am I pre-ordering anything from EA anymore, but maybe I'll get it after it's gotten a bit cheaper.

Not much of an update, but I thought the cover of the Art of book is pretty cool...

Spoiler

91ddB51cFbL.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Looking great. :peace:

It is! I'm still cautiously optimistic - and the only reason for caution, of course, as ever, is EA's involvement - and really hope that the story and characters shine through, hopefully complementing some solid gameplay. 

I've gone and booked some time off work for this, so all my fingers and toes are crossed that I at least enjoy this game, because the Force knows we deserve better than that meager excuse of a campaign we got in BFII. 

I've also gone ahead and pre-ordered the limited edition art book, which I think looks awesome :D

SWJFO_LtdEd_slipcase_cover.jpg

• Like 2

Just been reading a few previews, all sounding very positive so far! Cannot wait.

I will say it's a little annoying it's releasing the same week as The Mandalorian and the IX prequel novel Resistance Reborn, couldn't they have spaced it all out a bit :blank:

That Ltd Edition artbook looks lovely, bit pricey though for not much extra?

Edited by Ronnie

Kinda Funny (Greg and Tim) adored the three hours they played, all on the same planet. Definitely getting me more and more hyped

I'm sort of baffled the way EA have promo'd this, literally everything I've heard about it sounds much more interesting than the game EA seems to want us believe it is (a linear action-jumpy game rather than the Star Wars-flavoured Metroid/Dark Souls mix it apparently is?). It's like EA are terrified of giving us anything interesting. 

Edited by gaggle64

9 hours ago, gaggle64 said:

I'm sort of baffled the way EA have promo'd this, literally everything I've heard about it sounds much more interesting than the game EA seems to want us believe it is (a linear action-jumpy game rather than the Star Wars-flavoured Metroid/Dark Souls mix it apparently is?). It's like EA are terrified of giving us anything interesting. 

Yeah it's really weird. Almost as if they think Metroidvanias don't sell big numbers or something.

Yet another game added to the backlog that I will NEVER clear!

• Haha 1

So, apparently this arrived a day early and my awesome little brother has installed it for me for when I get back from work.

Might be a late night :p

Have been playing it for a couple of hours this evening. It feels like Star Wars :D 

(Have already had to turn the difficulty down though because I suck!)

Sign in to follow this