NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Sméagol

Paladins

It's official, as in, it's in the E-shop.

Free-to-play, but you can buy a founders package which will unlock at least all characters and some other stuff, it's not clear to me if it unlocks everything. I don't think it does.

Release is 12-06-2018.

Edit: free version out now.

I may give it a try when it's out, for now I have no strong feelings one way or another.

Edited by Sméagol
  • Like 1

According to the description, the F2P edition comes out later this year. The one that you pay for is £24.99.

I'm good with this. My life would be officially over if Overwatch ends up on the switch...

Never played it but looks okay enough, will definitely play the free version once it releases. Although I think Splatoon 2 will be a better provider of Switch shooter goodness.

I think the founder's edition adds all current and future champions, and some exclusive skins but probably not all available cosmetic upgrades.

1 hour ago, Vileplume2000 said:

Never played it but looks okay enough, will definitely play the free version once it releases. Although I think Splatoon 2 will be a better provider of Switch shooter goodness.

I think the founder's edition adds all current and future champions, and some exclusive skins but probably not all available cosmetic upgrades.

Until Nintendo fix Splatoon so that the motion controls are on both axis, I will find it frustrating. Zelda completely spoilt that.

Bit weird that they're releasing it as F2P later on... especially since they're gonna be up against Fortnite next week...

But hey! We finally have a decent multiplayer FPS on Switch! About damn time! (actually, when was the last time we had a decent multiplayer FPS on Nintendo consoles/handhelds, period!?)

The port looks pretty great too, judging by the footage I've seen.  Very very impressive! And remarkably close to the PS4/Xbone versions!

Edited by Dcubed

On 08/06/2018 at 9:09 AM, Dcubed said:

...actually, when was the last time we had a decent multiplayer FPS on Nintendo consoles/handhelds, period!?...

The WiiU had CoD games (Black Ops 2), as did the Wii.

Black Ops on Wii was one of the best FPS games ever released, it was damn good!

Edited by Kav

Downloaded this on PS4 last week after hearing about the upcoming Switch version. Figured I might as well check it out in advance, see what it's like and also get a reference point to then judge the quality of the Switch port.

Anyway, I played my first match last night and yeah... it's basically Overwatch, which is a good thing (obviously :hehe:) but it's Overwatch without the polish of Overwatch, which is not so great. :heh:

Having said that, it is free, so gotta cut it some slack. Also, I seem to be better at this than I ever was at Overwatch, which is another bonus. :D In fact, I got Play of the game err... I mean, Top Play on my very first match!:

::shrug::laughing:

7 minutes ago, RedShell said:

Anyway, I played my first match last night and yeah... it's basically Overwatch, which is a good thing (obviously :hehe:) but it's Overwatch without the polish of Overwatch, which is not so great. :heh:

I think comparisons to Overwatch are going to cause issues. If you have that comparison in mind, it is an uglier, less polished Overwatch with far worse level design and its characters are pretty charmless. The controls feel fuzzy, the UI is ugly and the UX muddled.

However, taken on its own merits, it's pretty enjoyable. It's much more a MOBA than it is similar to Overwatch (OW requires much better mechanical skill too, which is actually why I think Paladins works better on the Switch).

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Daft said:

I think comparisons to Overwatch are going to cause issues. If you have that comparison in mind, it is an uglier, less polished Overwatch with far worse level design and its characters are pretty charmless. The controls feel fuzzy, the UI is ugly and the UX muddled.

However, taken on its own merits, it's pretty enjoyable. It's much more a MOBA than it is similar to Overwatch (OW requires much better mechanical skill too, which is actually why I think Paladins works better on the Switch).

Yeah, I’ll certainly be playing it some more (either on PS4, or later on Switch) to better understand the game, but after my initial experience with it (again, just the 1 match) Overwatch was pretty much the only thing I could think of. :hehe: 

It does seem like a fun alternative though.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, RedShell said:

Yeah, I’ll certainly be playing it some more (either on PS4, or later on Switch) to better understand the game, but after my initial experience with it (again, just the 1 match) Overwatch was pretty much the only thing I could think of. :hehe: 

It does seem like a fun alternative though.

Oh yeah, I'm totally with you. It was pretty jarring to me that you couldn't switch character during a match – and little thinks like not having a communications wheel a button press away (unless I missed how to do it) made it feel lacking – but it's fun overall.

It's just not stunningly well crafted and polished like Overwatch (OW feels like something Nintendo had a hand it).

Just compare the flying dragon dude (who has a similar move set to Pharah) with Pharah herself and it's night and day.

I'd try this out now if it weren't for the fact that I've already bought several games this month, and have plenty to p(l)ay as a result. But I suspect this is more up my alley than Fortnite, so I can't wait to try it out. Maybe I'll get the founders pack next month.

For some reason it's not highlighted in the E-shop, but:

The free version is available right now!

Edit: Added trailer:

Downloading. I had other plans for tonight, but maybe I'll get some games in. Either early evening and / or after midnight.

Edited by Sméagol
  • Thanks 2

Is there anyone who wants to join me in say, 1 or 2 hours, go in blind and embarrass ourselves? I think the teams need 5 players, so 4 more?

Like Fornite, I had the opportunity to play this on other consoles but have never bothered. I'm on downloading it now on the Switch. Let's see if it can remain on my system longer than Fortnite did....

• Haha 1

Well, it's certainly better than Fortnite and much more my cup of tea. I played a quick game and got a fair few kills with Cassie. I quite like the precision when firing her bow and got a few head shots with it.

Just had another couple of games and won both matches. Myself and the randoms just funneled the opposition into a narrow corridor. Not once did they think to try and flank us. :D 

Yeah, had a similar game like that. Won't be expecting that from higher level players though.

2 minutes ago, Sméagol said:

Yeah, had a similar game like that. Won't be expecting that from higher level players though.

I doubt I'll play it enough to experience seeing such players. :D 

I think Fortnite is better, but this one is simpler to play. My problem is the menu and staff around it, it is a bit complicated, but maybe it's only because I still don't have any upgrades.

Played a few games. It seems to run ok (other than some weird audio glitches) but I’m not a fan of how long it takes to get into the actual gameplay. The initial loading time is pretty long, then you’ve got to wait for it to load the match, and then there’s additional waiting on the character selection screen and again before each game commences! :zzz: 

Doesn’t lend itself to the quick pick up and play nature of Switch really, which is a shame. 

Also, what’s the point of the gold you obtain? There appears to be hardly anything you can purchase with it in the shop, pretty much all items require the other currency, the one I’m guessing you need to buy with actual money from the eShop. :heh: 

28 minutes ago, RedShell said:

Played a few games. It seems to run ok (other than some weird audio glitches) but I’m not a fan of how long it takes to get into the actual gameplay. The initial loading time is pretty long, then you’ve got to wait for it to load the match, and then there’s additional waiting on the character selection screen and again before each game commences! :zzz: 

Doesn’t lend itself to the quick pick up and play nature of Switch really, which is a shame. 

Also, what’s the point of the gold you obtain? There appears to be hardly anything you can purchase with it in the shop, pretty much all items require the other currency, the one I’m guessing you need to buy with actual money from the eShop. :heh: 

Individual characters, and while most cosmetic items are more easily available with real money, you can get some skins with gold it seems.

Anyway, I'm  having fun so far.

• Thanks 1

I downloaded it but not given it a go yet.

Fortnite keeps me busy on my commute.

Sign in to follow this