NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
RedShell

Nintendo Direct: E3 2018

I've been think it since the Direct ended, we've got a gap between the release of Monster Hunter and Smash, so from the end of August till the start of December. Bar a smattering of games (FIFA 19, Just Dance 2019, Team Sonic Racing and Starlink), what else is there coming to the Switch? I feel like I'm missing something but surely if Nintendo had more first party games for that period, they should have been announced here (that might still happen over the course of E3) and if there are any more third party titles, then where are they.

It's all a bit baffling go be honest. If I was looking at picking up the console right now, sure there are games to play right now but the line up of games (notwithstanding indie titles which will have a more focused direct either later this week or in the months to come) wouldn't exactly give me confidence going forward.

Not trying to be negative but I just thought it odd give the slew of games coming in the autumn/winter for the other consoles and don't see why there's so little known about the schedule for the Switch for that period. As I say, I'm probably missing some games but it's definitely lacking towards the end of the year.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Ganepark32 said:

I've been think it since the Direct ended, we've got a gap between the release of Monster Hunter and Smash, so from the end of August till the start of December. Bar a smattering of games (FIFA 19, Just Dance 2019, Team Sonic Racing and Starlink), what else is there coming to the Switch? I feel like I'm missing something but surely if Nintendo had more first party games for that period, they should have been announced here (that might still happen over the course of E3)

You're missing Pokémon, pretty significant.. :D (regardless of how you feel about it)
I;m not sure what's for October though. A lot of stuff i the summer (Dark Souls finally, despite still not having an exact releasedate), but Autumn does feel a bit empty. But I'll have to check release schedules to see what I'm missing.

11 minutes ago, Ganepark32 said:

I've been think it since the Direct ended, we've got a gap between the release of Monster Hunter and Smash, so from the end of August till the start of December. Bar a smattering of games (FIFA 19, Just Dance 2019, Team Sonic Racing and Starlink), what else is there coming to the Switch? I feel like I'm missing something but surely if Nintendo had more first party games for that period, they should have been announced here (that might still happen over the course of E3) and if there are any more third party titles, then where are they.

It's all a bit baffling go be honest. If I was looking at picking up the console right now, sure there are games to play right now but the line up of games (notwithstanding indie titles which will have a more focused direct either later this week or in the months to come) wouldn't exactly give me confidence going forward.

Not trying to be negative but I just thought it odd give the slew of games coming in the autumn/winter for the other consoles and don't see why there's so little known about the schedule for the Switch for that period. As I say, I'm probably missing some games but it's definitely lacking towards the end of the year.

You’re absolutely right, there is a rather significant gap there. I expected much more than we got just because I knew that it was barebones from mid-July to mid-November, and that Direct didn’t do much to change that. I don’t see them putting that right with a Direct towards the end of the summer, seeing as those games would have also presumably been welcome at E3...but then again, we have games like Yoshi that have gone completely MIA, despite being shown off during Treehouse last year, iirc.

The pessimist in me says that they’ve messed up, but I don’t really listen to that guy when it comes to video games. The optimist in me says that they’ve got something tied to the deep dive Direct/launch of their Online Service which they’ve kept quiet up until this point. Why else do we have that gap, especially between Online’s September launch and the next major first-party game?

It makes me wonder...could their retro gaming catalogue for Online be substantially larger than they’ve let on to date? Or will we see an overhaul of the eShop, with a slew of retro/older games coming to the console in this window? 

Not to lead anyone on or get anyone’s expectations too high up, but surely there has to be a legitimate reason for that gap, which has currently gone unsaid? 

No showcase or worded details of the new Metroid, Star Fox, F Zero, Super Mario Party's online, Smash Bros Ultimate's online,Switch's online service nor for an update for the Switch's hardware (making it more efficient for third party support for games such as Anthem, Destiny 2, Jump Force etc). Fortunately I had zero expectations. I just caught the show with my bros whilst I was catching my breath marinating in sweat after my workout. :D

@Hogge

Ports, DLC, a remake of an ancient GBC game and two actual new games, both of which we've known about for over a year? No, not really.

What? Dude, if it wasn't for the high resolution, I'd be convinced it was a game for the Wii.

Haha Ikr! I really dont understand the minds of some people nor of what their eyes see. Art style can be admired, but the level of the graphics (quality of the drawing art and the animation if character models and the environment) is horrendous! 

@drahkon

Trust a third party dev to offer a more convenient voice chat option than Nintendo itself :D

You know, boss! You can trust a third party to apply more art into visual quality (Fortnite) and game structure (Starlink). It was like a cold blade licking my heart when those E3 discussion hosts were giggling at Star Fox Zero, but I agreed with them and Nintendo deserved that mockery. Does Nintendo really not have the mental energy to storm up a basic no-brainer like what was done with Starlink? Thor, the god of thunder, son of Lord Odin whom be heir to the thrown of Asgard!! :(

Yeesh, yeah. I dunno mang. There was some cool stuff there, but where were the big announcements? I will say, I love the look of Smash. But it always feels like the same. My face absolutely dropped at our yearly iterations of Fire Emblem and Mario Party. Hmmmm/ugh.

• Like 1

Just now, ReZourceman said:

Yeesh, yeah. I dunno mang. There was some cool stuff there, but where were the big announcements? I will say, I love the look of Smash. But it always feels like the same. My face absolutely dropped at our yearly iterations of Fire Emblem and Mario Party. Hmmmm/ugh.

ReZ makes an appearance!

Megaton of E3 right there... ;)

Welcome back. :D

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
  • Weird 1

Heeeeeeeeyyyyy. Yeah, sorry, been a long time. Busy as bees knees (not a phrase) these days. Miss y'all though. I've crept in silently from time to time.

• Like 1

Just now, ReZourceman said:

I've crept in silently from time to time.

We'd expect nothing less from you. ;)

missed you too. :hug:

19 minutes ago, Beverage said:

No showcase or worded details of the new Metroid, Star Fox, F Zero, Super Mario Party's online, Smash Bros Ultimate's online,Switch's online service nor for an update for the Switch's hardware (making it more efficient for third party support for games such as Anthem, Destiny 2, Jump Force etc). Fortunately I had zero expectations. I just caught the show with my bros whilst I was catching my breath marinating in sweat after my workout. :D

I expect we'll get an online focused Direct closer to launch that will go over some of this. And it being an online Nintendo thing I expect you'll have to rent the video from blockbuster. 

• Haha 2

S2allGJ.png

Has anyone identified the games on the Switch on the background of the Direct? I thought maybe they were hiding some new games there but can't make anything out. I also have tried to see if they were ones already released but don't recognize any of them. The screen just looked more blurred than normal to me.

You're kidding right? Stardew Valley, Shovel Knight, Steamworld Dig 2, Golf story, and I believe Celeste.

Edited by Sméagol

1 minute ago, BowserBasher said:

S2allGJ.png

Has anyone identified the games on the Switch on the background of the Direct? I thought maybe they were hiding some new games there but can't make anything out. I also have tried to see if they were ones already released but don't recognize any of them. The screen just looked more blurred than normal to me.

There isn't anything new there, from left to right they're Stardew Valley, Celeste, Shovel Knight, Steamworld Dig 2 and Golf Story.

• Thanks 2

9 hours ago, ReZourceman said:

I mean they did tell us in advance this would focus on Smash and 2018 games...

I find that stepping away from the saturation of news and leaks is so much better an experience. I used to live on forums, back to the N64 days, but just keeping up with headlines and not spoiling things make you enjoy it and appreciate it more. Even reading theories or fake news items can still give you an expectation.

Not saying anyone here is doing that, just my experience of the last 5-6 years.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yeah, I'm in the same boat. These past years I've stopped looking at rumors and "leaks", seeing as it usually just means getting disappointed and feeling there should've been more shown. And you always build up unrealistic expectations, only to be hurt after the direct has ended. Better to just run with it with no expectations what so ever :)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Serebii said:

I mean they did tell us in advance this would focus on Smash and 2018 games...

And yet the first game was 2019 😋

There's "focus" and then there's half the show. I think maybe they should have ended with some other stuff, as it felt like two unconnected Directs. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Extremely whelmed by Nintendo's showing. Possibly slightly underwhelmed. Smash didn't look all that, and for me there are too many characters in it now. Melee had the right amount.

No interest in Fire Emblem or Mario Party.

Whole thing was a bit bleh.

• Like 1

I too was slightly disappointed to see the Direct end after Smash, but it's pretty clear now that this is going to be Nintendo's E3 strategy going forward. 1 big game, with lots of coverage for said game. It worked for Breath of the Wild, it worked for Super Mario Odyssey, and it'll definitely work for Super Smash Bros. Ultimate. What they are doing with this version of Smash is absolutely insane, they've essentially created pretty much every Nintendo fan's desert island game. :o Will almost certainly be the biggest selling Smash Bros. title to date and no doubt one of the best selling games on Switch as well.

Cannot wait. :bouncy:

There has to be quite a few Nintendo Directs planned for the rest of the year though, I mean there's no way this is everything Nintendo have in the pipeline. But yeah, if that means announcements are spread throughout the year (and more importantly, reveals are nearer to launches) then I'm all for them holding back a bit at E3.

• Thanks 2

It was okay. I really did expect a little more. Smash looked great, especially for someone like me who skipped out the last two games but seriously...

WHERE IS MY BOY WALUIGI?

An Assist Trophy? Just a bloody Assist Trophy? In a game where a failed forgotten accessory and the WiiFit trainer are playable characters, my boi Waluigi wasn't deemed worth fleshing out into a full character? I am...not happy.

I'm being slightly hyperbolic, but it actually did put a bit of a dampener on Smash for me. Wario is there at the very least, but...my boi!!

Can anyone explain to me what the Amiibo stuff is? And the Fighter Profile? I've only just really started Nintendoing again and I only just got two Amiibos (Wario and Waluigi, obviously)

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

7 minutes ago, Daft said:

It was okay. I really did expect a little more. Smash looked great, especially for someone like me who skipped out the last two games but seriously...

WHERE IS MY BOY WALUIGI?

An Assist Trophy? Just a bloody Assist Trophy? In a game where a failed forgotten accessory and the WiiFit trainer are playable characters, my boi Waluigi wasn't deemed worth fleshing out into a full character? I am...not happy.

I'm being slightly hyperbolic, but it actually did put a bit of a dampener on Smash for me. Wario is there at the very least, but...my boi!!

Can anyone explain to me what the Amiibo stuff is? And the Fighter Profile? I've only just really started Nintendoing again and I only just got two Amiibos (Wario and Waluigi, obviously)

Yeah, no Waluigi is a right kick in the balls. Especially with all this echo fighter malarkey. :hmm: 

As for the amiibo stuff, it’s basically just a way to train a CPU version of those characters. Nothing too exciting.

• Thanks 1

R.O.B sold a damn load of NES consoles in America, which helped turn video games around after it's massive crash of the time. I wouldn't even dream of calling it a "failed accessory" @Daft Not to mention Wii Fit was bloody huge. It's a big point for the success of the Wii. Also, Wii Fit Trainer is great fun, with her random health tips telling you to not let your bottom stick out.

Edited by Glen-i
  • Like 2

Look, I'm not here for reasonable discussion. I'm here to demand my boi Waluigi get recognised as the Nintendo royalty that he is. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 7

1 minute ago, Daft said:

Look, I'm not here for reasonable discussion. I'm here to demand my boi Waluigi get recognised as the Nintendo royalty that he is. 

I'm with you.
He needs his own games.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Daft said:

Yep, that's typical Smash conversations.

I will say that I am super jealous of you though. You're gonna have at least 43 new characters to mess with! And quite a few of the Melee bunch have been tweaked since the GameCube days. Bowser feels totally different these days and Roy doesn't feel like an exact copy of Marth any more.

Yeah, I am very excited. And I love the returning old stages too. A perfect mix of nostalgia and newness!

Sign in to follow this