NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
RedShell

Nintendo Direct: E3 2018

They used the trailer music for Great Plateau stage?!

Just going to repeat, stuff may still be announced during the Treehouse stuff.

The third party situation hasnt really improved. Just a real lack of third party titles. 

Just now, Glen-i said:

Yes, they did. It was name dropped in the Press Release.

I know, I meant they didn't say it would be almost the sole focus did they (I Might be wrong)?

Yup, it did go on a while.  25 minutes in total: 

I had a NintendoLand moment at the end there wondering whether that really was the end of the direct.

That really wasn't a great showing from Nintendo. They were going to talk about 2018 titles yet showed some that were 2019, very little that wasn't already announced as coming this year (in the coming weeks as well) and very few new announcements for this year. Sure they might announce stuff through the Treehouse streams but then if that's the case that they're saving most of their announcements for that then why bother with the E3 direct and just do a Smash Direct?

I'm baffled really. I'll have Hollow Knight but there's little to make me want to keep playing the Switch currently going off of that presentation.

• Like 1

Gameinformer asked Bill Trinen about Metroid Prime 4

Is there anything you can say about Metroid Prime 4? Is there a reason it wasn’t at the show this year?

Trinen: It’s still in development.

Bihldorff: But yeah, we’re not featuring it at E3 this year.

Trinen: I think the main thing is, as people have probably realized by now – we show things when we think we’re ready to show them. And when we think we’re ready to show Metroid Prime, we’ll show Metroid Prime.

More than a logo?

Bill: [Laughs] Last year was the first year for Switch at E3, so we took a bit of a departure from our usual approach to E3, which is to focus on more near-term stuff. Last year, because it was the first year for the hardware, we looked at things that were maybe a little further out. This year, you can see pretty clearly, we’re back to focusing on the near-term. We’ll have more to share with Metroid Prime 4 when we have something we think is going to wow people.

3 minutes ago, Helmsly said:

Gameinformer asked Bill Trinen about Metroid Prime 4

D-I-S-A-S-T-E-R!

This could easily have been solved if Nintendo had opened their vast wallets. Nintendo could easily have hoovered up all the fantastic AAA studios that EA keep on shutting down!

1 minute ago, Hogge said:

D-I-S-A-S-T-E-R!

This could easily have been solved if Nintendo had opened their vast wallets. Nintendo could easily have hoovered up all the fantastic AAA studios that EA keep on shutting down!

It was never gonna show up here.  It was just a logo last year, that means it's like at least another year (or even more) out from release.

Hey guys, long time no see. I hope you're all well!

Just dropping in to say, that was disappointing. They couldn't even keep to their own "games to be released in 2018" tweet.

Ridley announcement was ace though. Laughed like a mother fucker

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Hogge said:

I'm seriously expecting more announcements within the next few days.

If the abysmal start of the year and these announcements are anything to go by, even Nintendo themselves must realize that their lofty hope of selling 100 million consoles is pretty much dead in the water.

Smash + Pokémon launching within three weeks of one another means that I beg to differ. They’re both systems, meaning that they’ll be well on course for the 20+ million units sold as they currently have projected for this FY, and next year will probably be a similar tale, with Gen VIII of Pokémon on the way, and the potential for big hitters like Animal Crossing, Super Mario Bros., a new Mario Kart, etc., to be announced/released in the next FY.

I definitely agree with those of the opinion that this was a relatively poor Direct, even in the event that more games are revealed during Treehouse: people have already left the stream, and thus Nintendo has lost some of its audience. To then go and announce that Yoshi (which we didn’t see, oddly), for example, is coming in a few months without showing it in the Direct seems very optimistic to me.

Wow, Pokémon, Let's Go. Way to ruin the Smash Hype immediately.

Man, it's just depressing.

Edited by Glen-i

1 minute ago, Ike said:

Pokemon Lets Go! looks really nice graphics wise.

I agree, it looks great, especially the environments.

But I also really appreciate the faithfulness to Sugimori’s art style within the return of Pokémon Trainer in Smash, and I’d love to see a game stick to that art style in the way that Sakurai and co. have.

What say you, @Glen-i?

5 minutes ago, Julius Caesar said:

I agree, it looks great, especially the environments.

But I also really appreciate the faithfulness to Sugimori’s art style within the return of Pokémon Trainer in Smash, and I’d love to see a game stick to that art style in the way that Sakurai and co. have.

What say you, @Glen-i?

It looks fine, but God. Everything about it just makes me sad.

Those battle backgrounds look really ugly though.

EDIT: OK, Pikachu Itemfinder is neat.

But oh man, Viridian Forest is SO boring now.

Edited by Glen-i
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

It looks fine, but God. Everything about it just makes me sad.

Those battle backgrounds look really ugly though.

They've just said it will be great "for longtime fans" though!  

1 minute ago, Ashley said:

They've just said it will be great "for longtime fans" though!  

BLATANT LIES!

7 minutes ago, Julius Caesar said:

Smash + Pokémon launching within three weeks of one another means that I beg to differ. They’re both systems, meaning that they’ll be well on course for the 20+ million units sold as they currently have projected for this FY, and next year will probably be a similar tale, with Gen VIII of Pokémon on the way, and the potential for big hitters like Animal Crossing, Super Mario Bros., a new Mario Kart, etc., to be announced/released in the next FY.

I definitely agree with those of the opinion that this was a relatively poor Direct, even in the event that more games are revealed during Treehouse: people have already left the stream, and thus Nintendo has lost some of its audience. To then go and announce that Yoshi (which we didn’t see, oddly), for example, is coming in a few months without showing it in the Direct seems very optimistic to me.

What about literally the entire rest of the year? Seriously, two games won't shift 20 million consoles a year. You can get away with crap like that when you have solid third party support. Which the Switch lacks. And both Sony and Microsoft, who DO have third party support have made sure to have plenty of exclusive content.

It doesn't matter what twist you put on this: this presentation was an absolute bomb and it's going to have a negative impact on Switch sales. I wouldn't be surprised if I'd wake up tomorrow to read that Nintendo's share prices have dropped.

My thought was more of a second direct tomorrow, rather than throwing in additional news during the Treehouse.

32 minutes ago, Ike said:

Pokemon Lets Go! looks really nice graphics wise.

What?

Dude, if it wasn't for the high resolution, I'd be convinced it was a game for the Wii.

• Like 1

Just finished watching. Smash Bros is a maybe from me I guess but absolutely nothing else I want. Easily the worst presentation of E3 for me. I was falling asleep by the end of the Smash stuff.

• Like 1

Pokémon, Smash Bros, Hollow Knight, Xenoblade expansion, Fire Emblem, overcooked 2, Mario Party....you guys are hard to please.

Sign in to follow this