NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Glen-i

Fortnite

Damn, that Kaz Hirai tweet is brutal, but deserved.

Still, gotta protect those children, huh?

Protect those children? It’s Sony that are blocking it!

17 minutes ago, Kav said:

Protect those children? It’s Sony that are blocking it!

I'm implying it's Sony that's doing the "Protecting"

You remember the reasoning for why Sony weren't getting in on the cross play?

Edited by Glen-i

1 hour ago, Glen-i said:

I'm implying it's Sony that's doing the "Protecting"

You remember the reasoning for why Sony weren't getting in on the cross play?

They’re arses. That’s the only real reason, haha.

• Haha 1

Its not the big draw of the game, but it still sucks.

Edited by Kav

I’ve emailed from the Fortnite website asking of the possibility of any workarounds to the blocked accounts linked to PSN and received fairly unhelpful replies.

Edited by Kav
  • Like 1

Played one game of this last night. 50 Vs 50. Won it.

I guess you could say I'm pretty good.

I actually built a huge tower, fell off it, then spent the rest of the match running from the boundary wall and healing myself.

Still, a win is a win.

• Haha 4

I mean, yes it's stupid, annoying and Sony is rightly being called out for their practice regarding cross-play. But people make a bigger deal out of this than it actually is.

The amount of people switching from PS4 to a different console just to play Fortnite is going to be negligible and as we've seen in recent months Sony doesn't lose sales just because of their stance on cross-play, even with the bad press they get. ::shrug:

The only real issue is the fact that they lock out players from using their Epic account with the Switch version. How is that even possible? Epic really can't have a say in what happens with their accounts?

Yeah, it’s not the cross-play that’s the big thing, it’s the locking of the Epic Accounts.

The only reason I can think of them doing that is because they want any micro-transactions made being made on PS4 and not on a competitor platform.

Played a few games on the Switch last night and this morning. The standard on Switch is terrible compared to the Xbox - I love it!

You really need to play this game with a headset as hearing directional enemy movement and gunfire is so important. I've just bought a wireless USB headset that's apparently Switch compatible so I can voice chat and listen. Plan on moving the Switch ot my bedroom so I can play docked at night when Ali's asleep rather than handheld.

Few tips for noobs:

• A pump (the long thin one) shotgun kills in one shot, even with full shields with a close range headshot.
  • Get full shields ASAP. Use minis first as they only get you to a max of 50 shield, then a big shield (50hp, max 100). Mushrooms found on the ground give you 5 up to a max of 100.
  • Bandages give 15hp up to a max of 75. Med pack gives 100hp.
  • Learn how to build. The Builder Pro scheme makes it much easier. I'd really recommend just dropping somewhere quiet (try Wailing Woods as there's obviously plenty of wood to cut down, or somewhere else on the outskirts) and just build. Build a 1x1 by holding down R2 and spinning in a circle. Then build a ramp to look out from. From there just play around with the building AND editing mechanics.
  • Learn how to shoot! Once you've got a bit better at building start dropping in busy locations (Tilted Towers) and engage in as many fights as possible. You'll probably die quite quickly but its the best way to learn the gun play.

Definitely try and find some friends to party up with too as the game is far more than in Duos (50 teams of 2) or Squads (25 teams of 4). The 50v50 is a good mode for learning too as you get more materials (mats) and there's less danger at the start. The standard tends to be a bit lower as the stats don't count towards anything.

1 hour ago, Charlie said:

Played a few games on the Switch last night and this morning. The standard on Switch is terrible compared to the Xbox - I love it!

It's why I loved playing Call of Duty on the Wii U.  :D 

• Haha 1

Not tried it in portable mode yet, but performance when docked is pretty dodgy. :hmm: Seems to be quite a lot of stutter and a very low framerate on distant players, like ridiculously low.

I’ll probably keep the game installed though and dip into it every so often, although I still think it’s massively overrated. :grin:

2 hours ago, RedShell said:

Not tried it in portable mode yet, but performance when docked is pretty dodgy. :hmm: Seems to be quite a lot of stutter and a very low framerate on distant players, like ridiculously low.

I’ll probably keep the game installed though and dip into it every so often, although I still think it’s massively overrated. :grin:

It's definitely not as smooth as it is on the Xbox. Epic are very good at releasing updates (weekly on console and PC) so I wouldn't be surprised if we got some major performance updates over the coming months.

I just tried it. I was terrible. First couple of matches I tried to find out what was going on. I didn't find a weapon until my third match and I couldn't hit my opponent then. I didn't realise I wasn't dead when I was lying on the ground, though. What a weird mechanic - crawling around without the chance to do anything?

It seemed to perform well enough for me, though, no lag or anything. Maybe it's the internet? I changed it in the options so that I only play against people in Europe.

5 minutes ago, MindFreak said:

I just tried it. I was terrible. First couple of matches I tried to find out what was going on. I didn't find a weapon until my third match and I couldn't hit my opponent then. I didn't realise I wasn't dead when I was lying on the ground, though. What a weird mechanic - crawling around without the chance to do anything?

It seemed to perform well enough for me, though, no lag or anything. Maybe it's the internet? I changed it in the options so that I only play against people in Europe.

Crawling on the ground means you're "knocked". Team mates can revive you.

8 minutes ago, Charlie said:

Crawling on the ground means you're "knocked". Team mates can revive you.

That seems a bit weird in solo matches.

8 minutes ago, MindFreak said:

That seems a bit weird in solo matches.

It shouldn't be there in solo matches. Are you sure you didn't go into a team (Duo, Squad, 50v50) without realising it? You can still play those if you don't have team mates you know, you get paired with randoms.

15 minutes ago, Charlie said:

It shouldn't be there in solo matches. Are you sure you didn't go into a team (Duo, Squad, 50v50) without realising it? You can still play those if you don't have team mates you know, you get paired with randoms.

Not sure at all then. I just pressed play... But it happened once that I tried to kill someone who just wouldn't die. I then found out that it probably was a squad match and the other one was on my team. Then I got shot by three others that I met. They were not on my team, I guess.

I think the game could benefit from a tutorial...

What am I supposed to build? It's apparently a big part of the game.

Edited by MindFreak

34 minutes ago, MindFreak said:

Pirate ships:

• Weird 1

49 minutes ago, MindFreak said:

While this is insanely fast and on PC, it gives a good idea of how to build to get the high ground in one on one situations. It's very difficult on console (especially since Epic still hasn't included the option to adjust weapon and build aim sensitivity separately) but the "layout" remains the same.

Being able to build this 1x1 "layout" is a must-have skill.
Also: Slow down the video and watch the first two seconds; he builds two ramps and behind the second he builds a wall that connects. Why is this good? It gives the ramp a "shield". Destroying the ramp is now more time/ammo consuming. In order to push, you have to get that down in your muscle memory. Usually you should build two ramps next to each other and behind each a wall:

1. build two ramps next to each other
  2. build walls behind each ramp (during both steps keep running up the ramps)
  3. build two ramps connected to the first two
  4. build walls behind each of them
  5. rinse repeat

First few seconds show this (he actually also builds floors, but that's more difficult to get right; I'm lucky if I can push relatively quickly without floors).

(by the way, this is what thumbnails and videos look like in the Fortnite YouTube community, apparently...they suck :D)

• Like 1

Had a few games....meh... Plus it's actually really annoying when someone builds to protect themselves. Not a good mechanic for a shooter.

Reggie speaks on Sony blocking crossplay

"We embrace working with a developer and enabling them to bring their vision to life and whether that's Fortnite, whether that's a number of the other games that have cross-platform play on our console, from a developer standpoint that's what we want. And we work hard with them to bring that to life. What competitors do is their decision to make. We believe being both developer-forward and fan-forward is in the best interest of the game."

2 minutes ago, Kaxxx said:

Not a good mechanic for a shooter.

Epic and their wallets would disagree lol

Sign in to follow this