NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Hero-of-Time

Assassins Creed Odyssey

After the leak that happened yesterday, it looks like Ubisoft have just embraced it and have officially announced/teased the game. 

aco_e3.0.jpg

EDIT: For some reason the tweet with the teaser won't embed properly. 
Edited by Hero-of-Time

Please someone photoshop Cappie from Super Mario Odyssey onto a character from AC!

• Haha 1

Nice. I loved Origin, so it's great see more of the period and so soon. 

I think.. this looks dope? I've been reading up on the previews and the RPG dialogue additions sound well up my street. Probably a bit too soon - I've been thinking of picking up Origins but I'll probably wait for this now.

I might continue my trend of buying every other Ass Creed game and get this one.

The season pass comes with Liberation HD and Assassin's Creed 3 Remastered. It's a nice bonus for those who are buying it.

• Like 1

Also, Assassin's Creed III (and Liberations) will be separate from the season pass, for those who don't like the purchase of season passes.  Depending on the cost, i might get the season pass if it means cheaper.

There's a free theme on the store. It's pretty cool.

Anyway, I'm getting the game on day 1 like usual, and with having seen as little of it as I can.

The season pass I will get eventually, maybe on a sale, or just straight away if the first content is out and I'm bored. Looking forward to play ACIII again. I know it's not everyone's favourite, but I thought it was pretty fun. The content for Odyssey sounds interesting too, especially the episodic content for Atlantis.

It's mental how much this game wants to be The Witcher 3. They've even borrowed the soundtrack! Launch trailer:

To be fair, it looks totally baller! I'd be getting it day one but I ended up buying Origins on the cheap last week just as we've got a project on at work about ancient Egypt. It's a really excellent game, a bit misfortunate to be dwarfed by Mario Odessey and last autumn's other big hitters. Just walking around Egypt is such a joy; I can't think of a better game in terms of the level design.

Ancient Greece from the gameplay looks maybe a little less unusual and interesting than Egypt but if they can pull off conversation trees on their first attempt then I'm all in when I'm done with Origins!

Meant to be getting this tomorrow (pre-ordered the Gold edition with season pass and 3 day early access).  I know it's early, but had nothing yet indicating payment is to be taken.

Double post (sorry)

The Odyssey box art (well, on the Gold edition anyway) is double sided.  Can have either Kassandra or Alexios on the cover, depending on taste.

Double post (sorry)
The Odyssey box art (well, on the Gold edition anyway) is double sided.  Can have either Kassandra or Alexios on the cover, depending on taste.
What does each one taste like?
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, bob said:
2 hours ago, Jimbob said:
Double post (sorry)

What does each one taste like?

Mousakka and Souvlaki

• Like 2

Mousakka and Souvlaki
I'd probably have Kassandra then.

Anyone else turned off at just how much content there seems to be in this game (as well as apparently in Origins). I’d love to play another AC but the thought of spending 50+ hours at least is a bit scary. I wish Ubisoft would stop going bigger with each release. 

I’ll probably still get it as reviews are really positive but I’m more daunted than excited!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Ronnie said:

Anyone else turned off at just how much content there seems to be in this game (as well as apparently in Origins). I’d love to play another AC but the thought of spending 50+ hours at least is a bit scary. I wish Ubisoft would stop going bigger with each release. 

I’ll probably still get it as reviews are really positive but I’m more daunted than excited!

Not at all, it's games like this that normally last me through winter

On 10/5/2018 at 2:20 PM, Ronnie said:

Yeah kinda agree with this tbh. I'm playing Origins at the moment and man, the 20 hour version of that game would be a masterpiece. Raiding tombs, exploration, some of the side quests, the main character - all great - just it's padded with the most generic of side quests that you literally have to do to grind your level up high enough, and some pretty half arsed main quests.

I'm really hoping AAA games eventually do what the football manager games are doing and offer two modes - which they call 'full' and 'classic'. Give the people with endless time the option of full mode (probs call it Pro mode so they don't complain) and with classic mode only put in the quests that they've put some effort into!

For all that I found it overrated AF, I did love how Horizon compartmentalised the side quests in the UI into, can't remember what they called it but basically 'proper side quests' and 'filler'. And made them totally optional. Ubisoft take notes!

That all said I'm definitely going to get this when the price drops a bit. It sounds excellent!

• Like 1

This game seems to be getting pretty good reviews overall, 10 minutes of Jim Sterling has completely put me off it though. Are the microtransactions really that bad? Do review copies of games get given infinite in game currency? I can't understand why so few reviews make a big deal about it.

• Thanks 1

Micro transaction in AC haven't changed since Black Flag; they're completely pointless. All there is is visual items like a pegasus horse or a different sail, weapons that I'm sure can easily matched in game by simply progressing the game normally and maps you do not need. I still don't understand why Ubisoft even bother to put them in. You do not need them ever.

I don't watch much of Jim Stirling, but the impression I have him, pun intended, is that he isn't exactly the most neutral person. I would never expect him to like the game. I haven't watched the video, but I read the title, I do not agree at all that the game is grindy. No way. The world is massive and there's a lot of fun to do if you want to. It's never been grindy for me, just fun.

I have played a lot on it since Friday and I really enjoy the game. Origin was on my favourite AC to date, and I think this might even better. They have really spent time on the RPG part this time. There's a lot more (better) sidequests, dialouge and multiple choice this time, a lot more.

Edited by Tales
  • Like 1

Micro transaction in AC haven't changed since Black Flag; they're completely pointless. All there is is visual items like a pegasus horse or a different sail, weapons that I'm sure can easily matched in game by simply progressing the game normally and maps you do not need. I still don't understand why Ubisoft even bother to put them in. You do not need them ever.

I don't watch much of Jim Stirling, but the impression I have him, pun intended, is that he isn't exactly the most neutral person. I would never expect him to like the game. I haven't watched the video, but I read the title, I do not agree at all that the game is grindy. No way. The world is massive and there's a lot of fun to do if you want to. It's never been grindy for me, just fun.

I have played a lot on it since Friday and I really enjoy the game. Origin was on my favourite AC to date, and I think this might even better. They have really spent time on the RPG part this time. There's a lot more (better) sidequests, dialouge and multiple choice this time, a lot more.

That's not true, the game also offers gameplay boosts such as the permanent XP boost, which has been noted by news outlets to make the game better. I think it's fair for Jim to say that a game that you'd want to pay to not play to make it better has poor game design.

2 hours ago, Sheikah said:

That's not true, the game also offers gameplay boosts such as the permanent XP boost, which has been noted by news outlets to make the game better. I think it's fair for Jim to say that a game that you'd want to pay to not play to make it better has poor game design.

That's ridiculous.  The game showers you with exp. I 've explored less than a fifth of the game and I'm already lv 30 of 50. I actually wished yesterday that the game didn't you so much exp at all times. You do not need, or should want, that xp boost.

Edited by Tales

That's ridiculous.  The game showers you with exp. I 've explored less than a fifth of the game and I'm already lv 30 of 50. I actually wished yesterday that the game didn't you so much exp at all times. You do not need, or should want, that xp boost.

When you say you've explored less than a fifth of the game do you mean you've gone to a fifth of the map and done most of the subactivities there? I think the point that article made was that if you don't want to keep repeating the usual repetitive activities between missions then you'll end up underlevelled, and lacking a lot of features that basically up quality of life.

Some pople will definitely want the booster though - if nobody would want it, they wouldn't be selling it.

I've unfogged a fifth of the map and done maybe 2/3 of the activities and sidequest, probably less.

Personally, I have not felt any part of the game has been repetitive so far. But ask again if I go for 100%, though most open world games are repetitive then, and not just AC or Ubisoft games. 

You can't really be underlevelled in this game, unless you beeline for the story like a madman I guess. For me everything has been autoscaled to my level or a couple levels lower, except areas that have a fixed minimum level  but they haven't been story related so far. 

As for qualtiy of life features, I'm not sure if there are any other than the one that makes you invincible from falling, but you really don't need it. I never died from falling before getting it. But I'll admit it nice to have, mostly because it looks cool.The rest should just be abilities that makes you stronger in combat, but I can check when I get home. 

The ones that are buying the booster packs can't possible be the target audience for the game , and I don't think the game should be judged from their p.o.v.

The game is balanced, abilities and all, for those who has time to put 50+ hours into an open world RPG,  like games like Witcher 3 and BotW. The last thing I'd want is for them to design  these games for those can't afford half that time. 

Typed on my phone, I'll edit this.

Edited by Tales
  • Like 1

On 10/9/2018 at 8:14 AM, Tales said:

The game is balanced, abilities and all, for those who has time to put 50+ hours into an open world RPG,  like games like Witcher 3 and BotW. The last thing I'd want is for them to design these games for those can't afford half that time. 

I agree. There are hundreds of other options for games if you don't have the time for a 50+ hour title. And even with AC games you can always stick to the main missions and reduce the playtime significantly. 

Sign in to follow this