NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Julius

Fallout 76 — 14th November 2018

More info coming during Bethesda’s E3 press conference.

Edited by Julius Caesar

I was initially excited, then I realised/found out the following:

Fallout 4 was a bit shit.
The fact that this isn't Fallout 5 implies a spinoff.
People are speculating this will be online.

One interesting thing people have said is that Vault 76 was one of the first to open, so this must be a prequel. Also, the Pipboy is an early model, the same as in Fallout 1.

If its a spin off in the vein that New Vegas was and keeps that quality i'm in! if the Kotaku rumor of it being a MMORPG comes true i just do not have the time

From the E3 stuff, it looks better than I expected, but it's still not for me. The opportunity for griefing is just too much. If I wanted to hide from every player I see, I'd play GTA Online in a public lobby. Hell, hiding won't even work in this thanks to the Nuclear weapons.

I'll keep an eye on it in case it somehow gets better, but I won't hold my breath.

You see as much as they say you can play this solo i just can't see it, this seems like the divisions dark zone the game! where unless you are in a group griefing each other you'll have a bad time! You can play the division solo, you can go do PVE in the dark zone, you can spend hours with friend farming and then bam a group of twats take you out and 9/10 they don't even want your loot they teabag you and run off knowing they've killed you and you might not get your loot back. Hell half the time they wait nearby for you to get your loot back and then kill you again!

So for fallout to follow that route is just not instantly appealing for me, i can't play it solo, i can't experience exploration at a reasonable space, the onus will be on teams joining finding the nuke codes and launching a nuke. So it seems very strange to add building into it, because the poor sap who goes to build a base will just get nuked by griefer teams just aiming to cause trouble.
Now if you can get private servers it might not be so bad if i can play like GTA online, but right now its not appealing. I don't know why they didn't go a more Destiny route and allow you to team up and have very specific PVP modes, right now taking people from Destiny is ripe for the taking.

• Like 1

I believe we've also missed the biggest flaw in Fallout 76: No V.A.T.S.

3 hours ago, Agent Gibbs said:

I don't know why they didn't go a more Destiny route and allow you to team up and have very specific PVP modes, right now taking people from Destiny is ripe for the taking.

Having been playing Dark Souls Remastered a lot lately, I think a model similar to that would be awesome in a Fallout game. 

Just lift the whole system, see ghosts of people running around doing things, people can invade but only 1-2 at a time and obviously it’s random so the same guy can’t keep greifing hopefully. And summon people into your world and run around to do whatever. 

I think it could work well. Better than this Shared World nonsense where other players actively make it unfun. 

• Like 1

Too right! what is with this trend for shared worlds where people have the option to just screw with people? it makes it so unless you have the game from launch or spend a crazy amount of time on it, that you just cannot join the game and have fun. Atleast with the Division or Destiny or other similar (in one way or another) games you can actively avoid that scenario.

Right now i just fear this will be the new rust, griefers paradise, the 4chan of gaming worlds where you run round in your pants killing people for no good reason other than you can and relish in pissing people off

Yeah, this isn't for me.  I have a hard enough time playing the first few hours of Fallout 4 (i'm not that bad, i tend to go for a wander before doing the required Concord mission and end up usually mauled by a Deathclaw).

I'm interested enough that I'm willing to give it a chance. It will live or die depending on how it deals with griefers obviously but all we can really do is wait and see.

Looks like Bethesda will be using their own launcher and the game won't be on Steam for PC. Interesting to see that more games are starting to move away from using Steam. 

On 6/11/2018 at 10:40 AM, Goafer said:

From the E3 stuff, it looks better than I expected, but it's still not for me. The opportunity for griefing is just too much. If I wanted to hide from every player I see, I'd play GTA Online in a public lobby. Hell, hiding won't even work in this thanks to the Nuclear weapons.

I'll keep an eye on it in case it somehow gets better, but I won't hold my breath.

Going by the footage floating around today pvp is completely optional.

However, the premise of the game remains terrible. The biggest drawback is the lack of NPCs - it means the world is completely dead, reduced to a 20 frames per second arena for mindless shooting (sans VATS) and stat-grinding. I don't understand what the player's motivation is supposed to be.

If multiplayer was implemented in a way similar to the Souls series, or Journey (i.e. sporadically and organically, but only as something that gives flavour to the campaign) then I'd be open to that. With that said, I'm really not arsed about another Fallout game on this engine, especially if they don't take an interesting direction with it. As it is, Bethesda is becoming increasingly irrelevant.

32 minutes ago, Sheikah said:

I wouldn't hold your breath on that one.

Indeed. The game sounds a like an absolute mess and has hit bargain prices already. 

I was listening to a podcast this week ( can't remember which one it was ) and they were saying how if someone like EA had released a game in this state that the internet would be in an uproar but because it's a Bethesda game many are giving it a pass. I do think there is some truth to this. The game has been heavily criticised by many outlets but I think it would have been far worse if it was released by someone like EA or any other company that many people have issues with.

Easy Allies telling it how it is.

On the recent episode of the podcast Jones spoke about how Ben was having a nightmare playing and reviewing the game. 

• Thanks 1

Hey Cookie - me and my lad play this, jump on a server with us and we can have a laugh like we used to do with mine craft!

• Like 1

Gamer buys Fallout 76 add-on domain to criticise Bethesda

What would you do if a company did something you didn't like?
Some people would take to social media to voice their frustrations. Others might consider writing a letter to the business.
But when game developer Bethesda introduced a new subscription to their online game Fallout 76, David Chapman felt he had to do something with more impact.

He made a website.

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-50182885

2f0.gif

• Haha 1

That is both outstanding and hilarious. 

I'm not sure what sitting down with Todd Howard would do though. At the end of the day it's all about making money as fast as possible. That's been evident since the release of the game.

Sell it back to them for one-hundred-million-dollars!!

To be fair, it was pretty smart. Now when people go to falloutfirst.com they'll be greeted by his website, where he lovingly refers to Bethesda's shit-show of a game as...

"Fallout fuck you First"

Brilliant. PR mess for Bethesda. Something good will come from it. 

• Haha 2

Sign in to follow this