NEurope
Glen-i

Team Sonic Racing

Saw pre orders in GAME earlier, was surprised at the price. £30 for PS4/XB1 and £35 Switch. I would've expected it to be £40+.

45 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Bah! There's drift/time challenges in this! I've never been any good at those.  

Same, even the first one is hard. :cry:

11 minutes ago, Ike said:

What time you want to play?

9PM? 9:30PM?

Ike and I are in a friend lobby, join when you're ready @Hero-of-Time :peace:

That was quick, and easy to get into too, this is a good start! :D

Edited by S.C.G

I'm guessing the other teams are bots though. If you want me to increase the difficulty, just let me know.

3 minutes ago, Ike said:

I'm guessing the other teams are bots though. If you want me to increase the difficulty, just let me know.

Yeah, cranked it up a notch and see how we get on.

I doubt we'll get a game with random people. The online is pretty dead at the moment. Not surprising seeing as the game isn't officially out until Tuesday. 

• Thanks 1

Well that game felt more difficult and I didn't change the difficulty. :heh:

• Haha 1

That was my last race for the night. May as well end it on a high, although we just scraped through on the hardest difficulty. 

Very fun stuff. Again, I love the team element to the races. Sending items back, calling for help and powering up the ultimate move is incredibly fun and adds a layer to the races not seen in Mario Kart.

• Thanks 2

I got a communication error, shall I start a new lobby or are you guys done?

Edit: never mind, just saw Hero's post.

Yeah, the team aspect is really fun and gives you something to do when in the lead or get help from you team mates when you're behind. Wouldn't be surprised if Mario Kart 9 copied the idea. :heh:

There are some other rules, like boost and vampire so maybe we can try those next time.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Ike said:

I got a communication error, shall I start a new lobby or are you guys done?

I think that's probably it for the night, I just jumped into a random match to see if anyone else was playing, just one or two players it seems.

Best to give my Switch a bit of a rest too, its gotten pretty warm in that last hour or so.

The fan seems to kick in at the same point as it does in Mario Kart, when in the lobby and especially during races.

Anyway, it was great fun and I'm sure I'll be up for playing some more soon. :peace:

• Like 1

I finished the game this evening.

Spoiler

D68YNloUIAAs06G?format=jpg&name=large

Whilst I enjoyed the game at the start, as the game went on more and more cracks started to appear.

The team racing mechanic is fun but with the AI it's a bit flawed on the later races. Certain challenges and races require you finish in certain positions. The problem with this is the AI isn't that dependable. I would be in 1st position and be sending all my items back to my team mates but they still had trouble moving up the pack.

This problem is most apparent during the GP races that have you do 4 races in a row. If you were to go after the challenges ( I gave up doing these early on due to the random nature ) you would need an insane amount of luck to complete them. 

The track selection is a bit rough. For how long the campaign is there seems to be too few courses on offer. You'll be repeating courses quite a few times. Also, a few of them go on for far too long. They try to mix it up a bit with mirror tracks but at the end of the day this is still just the same scenery .

The game, at least the story mode, seems to have been made on a tight budget. The cutscenes in the campaign are just static screens. Even ones that feature explosions are just the screen shaking a bit. It's hilarious to look at.

It's a shame about these issues because there is some decent stuff in the game. The team racing mechanic is great in the early stages and image will be great when playing against other people online. Some of the soundtrack is great, as well. Fans of past Sonic games should enjoy the remixes that are in the game. I also enjoyed the ability to buy and unlock mods for your car, even though the stat boosts don't really seem to do anything, especially in the harder/later races.

You can't help but compare the game to Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing and Sonic & All Stars Racing Transformed. Both of these games were a celebration of all things Sega and it was great being able to play as characters and on stages from Sega's past. This game doesn't seem like a celebration of Sonic's history but more made for more the younger generation of Sonic fans. 

As a final point, I was annoyed to find that the on/off rubber banding AI option didn't return from Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing. Rubber banding AI in racers really annoys me. It's such a cheap way to add difficulty to the game. Being able to turn it off was such a fantastic feature to that game and I'm gutted it isn't back for this game.

• Thanks 3

33 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

You can't help but compare the game to Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing and Sonic & All Stars Racing Transformed. Both of these games were a celebration of all things Sega and it was great being able to play as characters and on stages from Sega's past.

Yeah, when this was reduced to Sonic only I knew I wouldn’t be getting the game. They needed to go in the opposite direction IMO, and add even more Sega stuff (I would’ve loved to seen Yakuza characters/race tracks :hehe:) hopefully for the next title they return to the All-Stars style.

Glad to hear that the impressions here tend to be positive.  Might be worth a pick-up at some point, even if it isn't as good as Transformed.

I don't know whether to get this for PS4 or Switch. 

I'm really torn. I do enjoy a trophy hunt but I imagine they will be tricky on this game. I don't like that it's more expensive on Switch either. 

Hmm. 

Switch version all the way for me, I pre-ordered it on ShopTo and it didn't seem that expensive at all, I paid £33.11...

And I just checked... it is £5 more on the Switch! :o I didn't know that... but it's still worth it for the portability option. :)

Edited by S.C.G

7 hours ago, Aneres11 said:

I don't know whether to get this for PS4 or Switch. 

I'm really torn. I do enjoy a trophy hunt but I imagine they will be tricky on this game. I don't like that it's more expensive on Switch either. 

Hmm. 

Some of the trophies looked a bit of a nightmare which is why I bought the Switch version. Having played the game I can confirm that going for the platinum would require a fair bit of luck and grinding. Getting the full amount of stars on every race/drifting challenge and unlocking every key would be an absolute pain to do.

• Like 1