NEurope
Glen-i

Team Sonic Racing

A fair few of the previews i've read for this seem really positive. It seems like there is a fair bit of strategy to the game. For example, while in 1st position it's not just about trying to stay there but also helping your team mates work their way through the pack. You can send items to them to help you achieve this. I imagine this will be quite a fun game with a few friends online. I may end up picking this on on release day, although i'm still not sure which version to get. If there are tactics to be done and banter to be had then the Switch version will certainly suffer if there's no way to communicate with your team.

• Thanks 2

Speaking of positive... GoNintendo posted the first footage of the Switch version (Handheld mode)

Looks good! Very close to the PS4/Xbone versions! After seeing the recent glut of embarrassing and terrible Switch ports throughout the last few months; this is refreshing to see :) 

The only downside is the framerate is half of what the other version offer. Stuff like that doesn't usually bother me but it is very noticable in racing games. It's looking like the PS4 version for me . Higher framerate, cheaper price and online communication. I'll see how the trophies are looking before committing.

I'll be picking up the Switch version.

The delay seemed to help as it wasn't looking too great before, so excited to give it a go.

2 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

The only downside is the framerate is half of what the other version offer. Stuff like that doesn't usually bother me but it is very noticable in racing games. It's looking like the PS4 version for me . Higher framerate, cheaper price and online communication. I'll see how the trophies are looking before committing.

I don’t think they’ve actually said the other versions are 60FPS... Supposedly the PS4 Pro version that was shown before was running at 30FPS; plus all of the previous non-PC versions of the Sonic/SEGA All Stars Racing Games were 30FPS.

I'll pick it up on the Switch, looks good, an interesting alternative to Mario Kart even though it is more of a blatant clone this time around. :D

But having said that, the team mechanic is different, also did I notice that Sonic has a different voice actor? It might just be the terribly low volume in the video, hard to tell.

Also the sense of speed... it isn't bad but I don't know, Mario Kart looks to be faster and possibly even the previous Sega All Stars Racing games but it has been a while.

With those few things aside, this still looks like it could be a good time, heck I may even pick up Crash Team Racing on the Switch as well, make it the default Kart Racer platform. :p

31 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

I don’t think they’ve actually said the other versions are 60FPS... Supposedly the PS4 Pro version that was shown before was running at 30FPS; plus all of the previous non-PC versions of the Sonic/SEGA All Stars Racing Games were 30FPS.

Apparently last month GameSpot had a video of the game running on a PS4 Pro that was running at 60FPS. There are a few outlets claiming it's 60FPS on the other devices. No idea how true this is though. 

If it's exclusive to the X and Pro then that's useless to me as I just have the base model.

• Thanks 1

Famitsu gives it 9/9/8/8. So not quite as good as Nintendogs, but close!

• Haha 3

More reviews:

Shacknews – 9 / 10
IGN – 8.5 / 10
GameReactor – 8 / 10
GameSpot – 7 / 10
Destructoid – 7 / 10
GamesRadar – 2.5 / 5
GameXplain – “Liked-a-Lot”
Eurogamer – “Recommended”

30 minutes ago, Mandalore said:

Do any reviews mention how the Switch version compares to PS4/XB1?

Not that I've seen but... my copy should be arriving soon from ShopTo so... I might just review it for the site. :D

I can't buy the other versions to compare the performance though, that would get expensive. ;)

But I'll let you know if the Switch version runs well or not in docked and undocked mode. :peace:

• Thanks 1

I am really hyped for this game. I haven't pre-ordered it, as I didn't think it'd be likely to come early, so just going to pick it up on Tuesday instead. 

But I loved the previous Sonic racing games, and the reviews of this has my anticipation sky high!

Now they just need to make another Sonic tennis game. 

Edited by Aneres11
  • Thanks 1

It only arrived today! Seems like I was lucky with an early delivery from ShopTo. :D

What was version 1.0.0 like? I couldn't tell you, because it's not version 1.0.1 already so there's a day zero patch.

As for everything else, I'll let you know. :smile:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well, from playing just the first race I can say that it definitely runs well, it all takes a bit of adjusting from Mario Kart 8 DX though.

Fortunately there is a control scheme which is close to MK8DX which works better than the trigger option I feel.

Also I noticed that both @Ike and @Lens of Truth seem to be in the early copy club as well, let me know if you want to try out the online.

12 minutes ago, S.C.G said:

Well, from playing just the first race I can say that it definitely runs well, it all takes a bit of adjusting from Mario Kart 8 DX though.

Fortunately there is a control scheme which is close to MK8DX which works better than the trigger option I feel.

But the two questions that are actually important...

Does it support gyro steering?

And does it have an auto acceleration feature?

1 hour ago, S.C.G said:

It only arrived today! Seems like I was lucky with an early delivery from ShopTo. :D

What was version 1.0.0 like? I couldn't tell you, because it's not version 1.0.1 already so there's a day zero patch.

As for everything else, I'll let you know. :smile:

Mine also arrived. I ended up getting it for the Switch. We should see if we can get a few games online together to see how it plays.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, S.C.G said:

Also I noticed that both @Ike and @Lens of Truth seem to be in the early copy club as well, let me know if you want to try out the online.

I'm up for that, sure.

6 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

But the two questions that are actually important...

Does it support gyro steering?

And does it have an auto acceleration feature?

Nope and double nope!

It's definitely lacking a lot of the finesse in options that Mario Kart 8 DX has.

But who knows if it will get patched in at a later date?

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Ike said:

I'm up for that, sure.

6 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Mine also arrived. I ended up getting it for the Switch. We should see if we can get a few games online together to see how it plays.

So shall we play a few online games in the evening then? Give us all a chance to get to grips with the controls and unlock a few things. :D

3 minutes ago, S.C.G said:

So shall we play a few online games in the evening then? Give us all a chance to get to grips with the controls and unlock a few things. :D

Just name a time and I should be there. I've nothing planned for the rest of the day.

Happy to see that custom lobbies are an option. 

5 minutes ago, S.C.G said:

Sounds good, I need to go out for food at some point but should be free most of the day.

I've only played a bit of the story mode, how do you unlock/buy more customisations and stuff?

6 minutes ago, Ike said:

Sounds good, I need to go out for food at some point but should be free most of the day.

I've only played a bit of the story mode, how do you unlock/buy more customisations and stuff?

If you go to Mod Pods you can spend your currency there. I just popped in and spent my winnings from my first race.

A rendition of Can You Feel The Sunshine? was playing when I was spending my money. Loved it. :D 

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

A rendition of Can You Feel The Sunshine? was playing when I was spending my money. Loved it. :D 

Would you say it brightened up your day?

I like how some of the remixes are a little more subtle.

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Ike said:

Would you say it brightened up your day?

I like how some of the remixes are a little more subtle.

The soundtrack seems pretty special. I just had a race that have a song which rolled Toot Toot Sonic Warior and Super Sonic Racing into one. Glorious stuff!

• Thanks 1

Bah! There's drift/time challenges in this! I've never been any good at those. I'm having nightmarish flashbacks of playing the Kudos challenges on Metropolis Street Racer.

I unlocked the 4 keys in first area but all I got was a vinyl sticker for the car. 

The team aspect of the game really comes into play during the elimination races, especially when doing the challenge to keep everyone on your team until the end of the race. I was frantically throwing items to Tails in an attempt to get him further up the pack. Drive, little fox! Drive! :D 

• Thanks 1