NEurope
Sméagol

Pokémon: Let's Go, Pikachu!

I'm probably not.. Because I actually may go for the Eevee version. I'll probably pre-order that one. I think I'm in for a nostalgic casual pokémon adventure.

I think I’ll get it but only if I’ll find it around €40-€45,- 

I wish it would support handheld play without  having to detach the joy-cons.

Not really feeling the hype yet, unfortunately :blank:

Edited by markderoos

8 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

It's hard to believe that this is out next week. I'm quite looking forward to finally playing it. It's just a shame my phone can't run Pokemon Go to get the connectivity benefits from the game. :( 

Obviously @Falcon_Black is buying the game but who else is picking the game up at launch? 

For me, this is a historic moment in gaming for me... a core Pokemon game I can experience on the big screen...I'm playing through the wholegame with the pokewalk plus and will proudly go on my Pokemon GO walks with it in hand (on my days off work 16th and 19th!)

Edited by Falcon_Black
  • Like 1

It looks so much like a Red/Blue remake. 

Do you level Pokemon up the same way as you would in the traditional games?!

I really want this game, but if it can't be played handheld with the controllers attached, then it's a no buy for me. I'll mainly be gaming this on my daily bus commute, so that settles it.

5 minutes ago, Aneres11 said:

It looks so much like a Red/Blue remake. 

Do you level Pokemon up the same way as you would in the traditional games?!

??? It IS a Red/Blue remake! (Or more specifically, it's actually a Pokemon Yellow remake)

The catching mechanics have been completely replaced by the mechanics from Pokemon Go however.  The battle mechanics are a simplified version of the mainline games (no hold items, no abilities, greatly reduced movesets etc) and you level up in the same way as in Pokemon Go, though you do earn exp from battles as well still.

Edited by Dcubed
  • Like 1

Just now, ArtMediocre said:

I really want this game, but if it can't be played handheld with the controllers attached, then it's a no buy for me. I'll mainly be gaming this on my daily bus commute, so that settles it.

It can be played that way.  The catching mechanics work exactly like Pokemon Go when in handheld mode (aim with the gyro, flick the touchscreen or press A to throw the Pokeball).

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Dcubed said:

??? It IS a Red/Blue remake! (Or more specifically, it's actually a Pokemon Yellow remake)

The catching mechanics have been completely replaced by the mechanics from Pokemon Go however.  The battle mechanics are a simplified version of the mainline games (no hold items, no abilities, greatly reduced movesets etc) and you level up in the same way as in Pokemon Go, though you do earn exp from battles as well still.

I didn’t know it was actually a remake! I though it was just borrowing bits from those games. 

Sign me up then!

1 hour ago, Aneres11 said:

I didn’t know it was actually a remake! I though it was just borrowing bits from those games. 

Sign me up then!

That's half of it's selling point!

22 minutes ago, Ike said:

Whoa, is that

Spoiler, I guess? (Hide contents)

Green

in that trailer?

Spoiler

It's Blue. Stop being so Japanese!

Red shows up as well. Because I guess they're just contractually obliged to appear in every game.

Bloody Genwunners...

24 minutes ago, Ike said:

Whoa, is that

Spoiler, I guess? (Hide contents)

Green

in that trailer?

Yup. It certainly looks that way.

7 minutes ago, Glen-i said:
  Spoilers (Hide contents)

It's Blue. Stop being so Japanese!

Red shows up as well. Because I guess they're just contractually obliged to appear in every game.

Bloody Genwunners...

Spoiler

? I was talking about the girl. She's never been in a game before.

• Confused 1

14 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I was wondering what @Glen-i was on about because 

Spoiler (Hide contents)

Blue/Gary was in the trailer. I thought he was saying the girl was Blue. 

Spoiler

Gary/Blue's Japanese name is Green, I thought that what the Japanese comment was about.

@Hero-of-Time @Ike @Glen-i

Spoiler

...to make it even more confusing, seeing as I’m assuming that you’re referring to the female protagonist in FRLG — I’ve always known her as Leaf (with regards to video game canon). I believe that she actually has two different counterparts in the manga: one called Blue and another called Green. 

But yeah, from the looks of things, I do think that @Glen-i was referring to Oak’s grandson with the forgettable name.

Edited by Julius
  • Haha 1

Spoiler

blue-pokemon_39469_2.jpg?cache=126227777

Girl in here is Green (Blue in Japan). Although I think she was only named in the Pokemon Adventures Manga as she's never been in a game before. Theory is she got cut for whatever reason.

Here she is in the manga:

250px-Green_RBY_Adventures.png

This is Leaf:

latest?cb=20180711131056&path-prefix=en

If she is the same character is up for debate.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Do the main series games actually acknowledge the existence of the anime/other non game stories? 

5 minutes ago, Mandalore said:

Do the main series games actually acknowledge the existence of the anime/other non game stories? 

We got Ash-Greninja in Sun and Moon.

20 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

We got Ash-Greninja in Sun and Moon.

Yeah, there are actually quite a few references. 

Off the top of my head, there’s Yellow, and now these titles, serving as something of a tribute to the anime; Pikachu’s moves at the end of HGSS mirroring Ash’s Pikachu’s D&P anime moveset; Steven referencing Alain and his shiny Charizard from Mega Evolution Act II in ORAS; multiple references (through character names, teams, etc.) to characters from the anime and the films, and so on. There’s also a Gary Oak reference in X & Y in a Pokémon Centre, in which an NPC is talking about how Professor Oak’s grandson had passed through and is studying to become a professor, or something to that effect — I mean, I’m going to assume that it’s a reference to Gary as opposed to a Blue/Green reference, anyway, because I don’t remember his video game counterpart ever showing any interest in following that path.

But I’ll stop there, because that last one can start the conversation about the video game timeline, which is (perhaps unsurprisingly) something of a jumbled mess :p 

I’d love if they refreshed the video game canon by effectively rebooting it in a similar way to how the films have been separated from the anime and exist in their own space. The references to the anime and movies are pretty cool, but I absolutely adore the in-universe references to the other games. 

Edited by Julius
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Mandalore said:

As well as the previous stuff, there's also a (blurry) picture of Ash and his Pikachu in the Mimikyu room in Sun/Moon.

Spoiler

I never quite spotted the female protagonist in the trailer. I can't check the trailer at the mo, could someone get a screenshot up or something?

BTW, @Ike that whole Green/Blue shenanigan is precisely why everyone calls her Leaf.

EDIT: Never mind, found it on ResetEra. That's such a "Blink and you'll miss it"

I love how people are losing their minds about how "she's finally canon"

She's been canon since FireRed/LeafGreen!

Edited by Glen-i

I started seeing TV adverts for this as early as Tuesday, which was ten whole days ahead of its release. I have a feeling this game it going to be huge. Interestingly, the Pikachu version is selling much better than the Eevee one.