NEurope
Sméagol

Pokémon: Let's Go, Pikachu!

Motion controls are compulsory for capturing Pokémon...

“In handheld mode with both Joy-Con attached – you are still required to move around to aim, but you press a button to throw the Pokéball. It is not touch screen like on a smartphone because the Switch is quite a bit heavier than your smart phone.”

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2018-06-07-motion-controls-are-compulsory-for-catching-pokemon-in-lets-go-pikachu-and-eevee

Anyone thinking of going mono-type to make the adventure a bit more distinct? Im thinking Mono-poison, starting with my boy Venusaur.

Hopefully, the Pikachu and Eevee dont take up mandatory spots if not chosen to battle.

Just now, King_V said:

Anyone thinking of going mono-type to make the adventure a bit more distinct? Im thinking Mono-poison, starting with my boy Venusaur.

Hopefully, the Pikachu and Eevee dont take up mandatory spots if not chosen to battle.

That's gonna be impossible for about 4 types. You're limiting yourself quite hard there.

1 minute ago, Glen-i said:

That's gonna be impossible for about 4 types. You're limiting yourself quite hard there.

Thats the challenge - Venusaur, Weezing and Nidoking are standout destroyers and would be interesting to try the Pokes I never touch (Muk, Arbok, Beedrill)

4 hours ago, markderoos said:

I don’t think going mono psychic will be limiting ;)

That's called Cheat Mode!

• Haha 1

I have no words for this. I'll just let it speak for itself.

- "This special Pokémon cannot be obtained through normal gameplay in Pokémon: Let's Go, Pikachu! or Pokémon: Let's Go, Eevee!"

- "Please note that you will not be able to bring a Mew caught in Pokémon GO into Pokémon: Let's Go, Pikachu! and Pokémon: Let's Go, Eevee!"

- "The ability to claim your gift of Mew may be discontinued at some point after the initial sales period of the Poké Ball Plus."

https://www.pokemon.com/us/pokemon-news/find-mew-in-the-poke-ball-plus/

This feels like a new low from The Pokemon Company.

6 hours ago, Glen-i said:

Yeah, wasn’t that revealed during the Direct itself? I think it’s an appalling move for them, and I hope this sort of practice doesn’t somehow weed its way into the traditional core series games. 

5 minutes ago, Julius Caesar said:

I think it’s an appalling move for them, and I hope this sort of practice doesn’t somehow weed its way into the traditional core series games. 

Wasn't this the only way to get Jirachi back in the day?

53813_front.jpg

Also, couldn't the Manaphy egg only be obtained by buying and playing one of the Pokemon Ranger games?

Let's not pretend this is something new. They've been getting players to buy other stuff to unlock special Pokemon for a long time now.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

53813_front.jpg

Also, couldn't the Manaphy egg only be obtained by buying and playing one of the Pokemon Ranger games?

Let's not pretend this is something new. They've been getting players to buy other stuff to unlock special Pokemon for a long time now.

Oh no, don't get me wrong. Scummy "You gotta buy this to get this" is nothing new to the Pokémon Series. But it hasn't happened for over 12 years, not to mention that at least you got games out of them.

(Yeah, I know Pokémon Channel barely qualifies as a game, but Pokémon Ranger was decent)

This is just a Pokewalker disguised as a controller and being sold for the same price as a game. (Unless you get the $100 bundle)

I just thought Game Freak were past reverting back to a practice we hadn't seen since 2006. But this is easily the worst case of having to "pay to get a single Pokémon" ever.

The fact that they don't let you transfer a Mew from the mobile game makes it a whole lot more heinous.

Edited by Glen-i

7 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

I just thought Game Freak were past reverting back to a practice we hadn't seen since 2006. But this is easily the worst case of having to "pay to get a single Pokémon" ever.

Not when there is money to be made. If this takes off then I expect it to return in the future, as well.

13 hours ago, Glen-i said:

Does transferring work both ways? If not then I'd rather not be able to transfer the Mew.

10 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

53813_front.jpg

Yeah, I’m aware of this. I stumbled upon the code for Manaphy in Pokémon World, way back in the day, iirc, and also found it annoying that it was awkward to get a Jirachi if you really did want one (at least over in the West). But, then again, these examples that you cite were a decade (if not longer) ago.

I don’t recall pretending that this is something new, but perhaps I could have been more concise in making my point. This is a pair of spin-off titles in the core series, and so maybe they think that they can get away with haphazardly bungling Mew in with an accessory this time around. It’s worth pointing out, though, that this will have the highest RRP of any core series game to date, and to use the game as it has mostly been advertised would require you to drop somewhere around £100 for the game and PokéBall Plus. Compare that to how events have been handled since your example of Pokémon Ranger: free codes which require a bit of travel time or a download from the internet. You aren’t paying a penny over whatever base price you paid for the game to be able to use it as advertised or as the only way to get a certain Pokémon. I feel it’s especially disrespectful because, if you’re buying this for the purpose of filling your Pokédex, Mew was available not too long ago for free. They wouldn’t have got away with doing something like this if we were still on 3DS, I don’t think. The only saving grace I see here is that Mew has already been available and in circulation as of late, and isn’t solely exclusive to this accessory if you really do want one, but if you do in Let’s Go...well, pay up. 

This is where I see the potential for a problem. Coming back to the traditional core series games: what’s to stop them from releasing a GreatBall Plus with next year’s titles, which come bundled with a Pokémon entirely exclusive to the accessory, and which won’t be made available by any other means? 

I agree with a lot of what @Glen-i has to say about this. In the short term, it seems like a nice way to do things, but the long term potential impact it could have on the franchise as a whole isn’t so rosy from where I’m sitting. 

3 hours ago, Ike said:

Does transferring work both ways? If not then I'd rather not be able to transfer the Mew.

Hmmm? Not entirely sure what you mean by "both ways"

This particular Mew can only be put on to the Pokémon Let's Go games. You can't transfer it to Pokémon Go or Pokémon Bank and the other mainline games.

If you're talking about the actual Pokeball Plus, I imagine you can put the Mew back in the ball like any other Pokémon.

9 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

Hmmm? Not entirely sure what you mean by "both ways"

This particular Mew can only be put on to the Pokémon Let's Go games. You can't transfer it to Pokémon Go or Pokémon Bank and the other mainline games.

If you're talking about the actual Pokeball Plus, I imagine you can put the Mew back in the ball like any other Pokémon.

I mean can you transfer from Go to Let's Go. Can you transfer from Let's Go to Go?

15 minutes ago, Ike said:

I mean can you transfer from Go to Let's Go. Can you transfer from Let's Go to Go?

Go to Let's Go only, one way trip.

You also can't transfer Mew from Go to Let's Go at all. Pokeball Plus is the only way to get a Mew on Let's Go.

7 hours ago, Julius Caesar said:

Yeah, I’m aware of this. I stumbled upon the code for Manaphy in Pokémon World, way back in the day, iirc, and also found it annoying that it was awkward to get a Jirachi if you really did want one (at least over in the West). But, then again, these examples that you cite were a decade (if not longer) ago.

I don’t recall pretending that this is something new, but perhaps I could have been more concise in making my point. This is a pair of spin-off titles in the core series, and so maybe they think that they can get away with haphazardly bungling Mew in with an accessory this time around. It’s worth pointing out, though, that this will have the highest RRP of any core series game to date, and to use the game as it has mostly been advertised would require you to drop somewhere around £100 for the game and PokéBall Plus. Compare that to how events have been handled since your example of Pokémon Ranger: free codes which require a bit of travel time or a download from the internet. You aren’t paying a penny over whatever base price you paid for the game to be able to use it as advertised or as the only way to get a certain Pokémon. I feel it’s especially disrespectful because, if you’re buying this for the purpose of filling your Pokédex, Mew was available not too long ago for free. They wouldn’t have got away with doing something like this if we were still on 3DS, I don’t think. The only saving grace I see here is that Mew has already been available and in circulation as of late, and isn’t solely exclusive to this accessory if you really do want one, but if you do in Let’s Go...well, pay up. 

This is where I see the potential for a problem. Coming back to the traditional core series games: what’s to stop them from releasing a GreatBall Plus with next year’s titles, which come bundled with a Pokémon entirely exclusive to the accessory, and which won’t be made available by any other means? 

I agree with a lot of what @Glen-i has to say about this. In the short term, it seems like a nice way to do things, but the long term potential impact it could have on the franchise as a whole isn’t so rosy from where I’m sitting. 

I wasn't trying to call anyone out with my points, I was just showing examples of how this sort of things has happened before. Yeah, these are examples were a while back now but it doesn't make them any less relevant to the situation at hand. The point is that Pokemon have been locked behind a paywall before and it's happening again.

What about people who like Pokemon and don't play Pokemon Go or have a smartphone? I mean, isn't the new Pokemon that is to be featured in Let's Go only available by connecting Go and Let's Go? You could argue that people will have to pay for a new phone to complete the pokedex.

While the practice is scummy, it doesn't bother me personally due to me being sold on the accessory before Mew was even announced. However, for those who aren't happy with it then the best way would be to vote with your wallet and not buy the game or Pokeball.

7 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

What about people who like Pokemon and don't play Pokemon Go or have a smartphone? I mean, isn't the new Pokemon that is to be featured in Let's Go only available by connecting Go and Let's Go? You could argue that people will have to pay for a new phone to complete the pokedex.

So tempted to say you can never finish the Pokédex in Let's Go anyway if you're missing over 600 of them.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess that the "new Pokémon" is gonna be pretty readily available in next year's generation 8 game.

In other words, it's being used as advertising.

Edited by Glen-i

1 minute ago, Glen-i said:

In other words, it's being used as advertising.

Which is a very smart business decision. 

Just now, Hero-of-Time said:

Which is a very smart business decision. 

The "New Pokémon" giveaway is one of the very few things in this game that I take issue with and you know that.

36 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

The "New Pokémon" giveaway is one of the very few things in this game that I take issue with and you know that.

I never said you didn't take issue  with it. I'm just saying from a business perspective it's a good move. It drums up excitement for their next game.

1 hour ago, Glen-i said:

So tempted to say you can never finish the Pokédex in Let's Go anyway if you're missing over 600 of them.

Is the Pokédex based on the in-game world or our world? 🤔

580xX_Email_Pokemon-Lets-Go-Pikachu-Eevee_-122510.jpg

Available for pre-order on the UK Nintendo store.

Against my better judgement perhaps, I have pre-ordered, just the game, Pikachu version.

There's no way I'm buying the Pokéball controller though.

• Like 1

Looks nice but seriously what is up with that Misty artwork?