NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Julius

Pokémon Quest - Switch/Mobile

You can download it on the Switch eShop right now!

EDIT:

Playing it right now, it's very directed so far and feels very much like a mobile game. You arrive on the island and send out a drone through which you can interact with your surroundings, you pick a Pokemon from a select group (think there were 5 stalwarts to choose from) then you follow them on an expedition around a section of the island in which they run around of their own accord and attack any wild Pokemon they come across. Similar to Xenoblade your Pokemon auto-attack but you have a couple of attacks on cool downs that you can choose from, once you finish a stage you go back to your base camp to recuperate. 

While on expeditions you pick up food which you can cook at your base camp to attract wild Pokemon that you can then add to your party. The micro-transactions come into play in much the same way as Animal Crossing: Pocket Camp, you can use 'tickets' (I forget what they were called) to speed up the process of cooking. Unlike AC it doesn't seem tied to a time limit but rather the amount of expeditions you do, so a meal might take two expeditions to finish cooking but you can have it complete instantly by spending 'tickets'. 

It's been okay so far but like I said, very directed. It won't let me press anything that isn't part of the tutorial so far so I can see the opening stages being a bit of a slog while it tells you how everything works. Probably a bit late for me to dive into it more but it seems fun and, fingers crossed, the micro-transactions don't seem too heinous. 

Edited by killthenet
  • Thanks 3
  • Sad 1

"OK, let's check out this little Pokémon Spin-off game... Wait, free-to-start?"

nope.gif

God, I am having the worst day.

• Sad 2

When I first clicked on the thread I thought this was the mainline game that got announced. I said to myself " Man, the meltdowns are gonna be worse than I thought! " :D Looks like a fun little time waster. I downloaded it before coming to work, so i'll have a play around with it when I get home this evening.

Holy shit, those Pokémon designs are ugly...

Pokemon_Quest_screenshot_EN_01.jpg

Anyway, here's my reaction to the game itself:

Meh ::shrug: Not what I want, not what I need.

Pokémon Squarepants Rumble is my first thought. Will try it out but I don't think it's for me.

Looking at the models up close, they managed to out-ugly the Pokémon Rumble Toys.

That's legit impressive.

• Haha 1

What's this? More proof that my theory about Pokemon Let's Go originally being the next mainline games for mobile was right?

Yup, looks like it!

Yeah this is most likely getting deleted before the end of the day.

It's not for me, and it's a bad port as well. 

So, is it free to start or free to play? Makes quite a difference since F2S means you will have to dish out money eventually to continue, while F2P means you should be able to play the whole game without spending a penny if you have the patience.

Might give it a whirl tonight.

1 minute ago, Vileplume2000 said:

So, is it free to start or free to play? Makes quite a difference since F2S means you will have to dish out money eventually to continue, while F2P means you should be able to play the whole game without spending a penny if you have the patience.

Might give it a whirl tonight.

It was described as "Free-to-Start"

Don't know if that actually means Free-to-Start though.

Can't really complain about a F2P game, I actually quite like the art style. Looks fun

This doesn’t seem to be up to much gameplay-wise and there’s been little done to make it feel intuitive on Switch when using standard controls (you have to move an on-screen cursor using the control stick :laughing:) but hey, its free and it has some awesome tunes. I’m especially loving this:

So catchy! :bouncy:

It's insane how fast people put stuff like these soundtracks on YouTube after release!

I don't get the backlash around the aesthetic, I really like it. It reminds me of Cubivore on the GameCube. Not had a chance to play any more yet but I seemed to get to the end of the 'tutorial' section before I went to sleep so hopefully it gets a bit more engaging. There seem to be a lot of different battle combinations but so far there didn't seem much to it tactically.

17 minutes ago, killthenet said:

I don't get the backlash around the aesthetic, I really like it. It reminds me of Cubivore on the GameCube.

Eh, I've never been a big fan of the whole "Blocky 3D Models" thing that Minecraft popularised. Pokémon have some amazing creature designs going on and it feels like a bit of a downgrade to depict them like this.

Edited by Glen-i

38 minutes ago, killthenet said:

I don't get the backlash around the aesthetic, I really like it. It reminds me of Cubivore on the GameCube. Not had a chance to play any more yet but I seemed to get to the end of the 'tutorial' section before I went to sleep so hopefully it gets a bit more engaging. There seem to be a lot of different battle combinations but so far there didn't seem much to it tactically.

I like it too. It's nice to have something a bit different, after dozens of games with the usual art style

I spent about an hour with this during the afternoon and it's alright. Certainly better than the 3DS f2p offerings. Will probably stick with it for a bit longer. Also a fan of the music and aestethic.

Im still early in the game ( just reached the first boss area ) and I'm having an absolute blast with this at the moment. I chose Pikachu as my starter and currently have a Growlithe and Pidgey in my team. Like others, I'm loving the music in the game. It's so catchy and gives off jolly vibes. :D 

Im just doing a spot of grinding before I attempt to take on the boss.

• Like 1

I’ve been picking away at this throughout the day and it’s definitely growing on me, it plays like a much less bonkers version of Pokémon Rumble and there’s actually a little bit of depth to the gameplay via the type system and timing moves correctly. The items you collect/attach to your Pokémon is a pretty nice way to power up your team (or in my case, give all the best stuff to Pikachu :grin:) and I like how filling out a row with upgrades activates additional “bingo” skills. :hehe:

Looks like Shiny Pokémon are in too, I got a shiny Diglett earlier on. :D 

Not purchased any of the micro-transactions, and think getting through the game without doing so is going to fine (with some patience, obviously ;)) In fact I’ve already obtained several items that are sold in the eShop purely from just playing the game.

• Like 1

Haha. I'm also stacking my Pikachu with all the best goods. :D 

I love the way you obtain Pokemon in the game. I assume certain recipes attract certain Pokemon? At the moment I'm just throwing everything in the pot to see what happens. :p 

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Haha. I'm also stacking my Pikachu with all the best goods. :D 

I love the way you obtain Pokemon in the game. I assume certain recipes attract certain Pokemon? At the moment I'm just throwing everything in the pot to see what happens. :p 

Yeah, I think all blue ingredients = water type, all red = fire, etc. I also cooked with all yellow once which got me a 2nd Pikachu. :grin:

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, RedShell said:

Yeah, I think all blue ingredients = water type, all red = fire, etc. I also cooked with all yellow once which got me a 2nd Pikachu. :grin:

Have you used any of the rainbow coloured ingredients yet? I've got a bunch of them but I'm hesitant to use them.

1 hour ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Have you used any of the rainbow coloured ingredients yet? I've got a bunch of them but I'm hesitant to use them.

Just added some for the first time, will let you know what happens. :) 

*EDIT*

Lv. 6 Electabuzz... Meh, not even shiny. :heh: 

24 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Just got my first shiny in the game (Horsea). :yay:

Nice!

Me thinks shiny Pokémon are a bit too easy to obtain in this game. :grin:

Edited by RedShell

Sign in to follow this