NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Julius

Battlefield V — 20th November 2018

"On the [women] in Battlefield, this is something that the development team pushed," Soderlund said in an E3 interview with Gamasutra.

"Battlefield V is a lot about the unseen, the untold, the unplayed," he continued. "The common perception is that there were no women in World War II. There were a ton of women who both fought in World War II and partook in the war."

"These are people who are uneducated—they don't understand that this is a plausible scenario, and listen: this is a game," he added. "And today gaming is gender-diverse, like it hasn't been before. There are a lot of female people who want to play, and male players who want to play as a badass [woman]."

"And we don't take any flak. We stand up for the cause, because I think those people who don't understand it, well, you have two choices: either accept it or don't buy the game. I'm fine with either or. It's just not ok."

Direct and to the point. I like that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So, now that the aplha has been around for about a week, how do people feel about the game? Has anyone gotten an invite to the closed alpha? From what I've seen, this seems to be a huge step up from BF1, and the gunplay just looks really, really slick. I can't wait to try it out when the public beta hits :D. And that Narvik map just looks amazing <3.

Open beta starts on September 6 on PS4, Xbox One and PC (or two days before if you've preordered the game).

It will feature the recently revealed Rotterdam map as well as the snow map from the alpha. 

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2018-08-20-battlefield-5s-open-beta-gets-a-proper-september-start-date

For anyone who missed the previous trailer, which hints at the BR mode:

Not surprising. The preorders for the game are low and they'll be wanting to stay away from Red Dead.

...and CoD - it was sandwiched between both. People are suggesting there's a fair bit of bug-fixing to do too.

Game delays are always the right thing to do but I am a bit gutted all the same.

It was a strange coincidence this morning. On the cover of a newspaper there was a big aerial picture of a pre-war Rotterdam. I love those kind of pictures.

The few hours later, I see a thumbnail of a screenshot from Battlefield with a familiar building..

The aerial photo:

Rotterdam

The screenshot:

2002177829.jpeg

We don't get to see our country represented often in games (let me say that Hamsterdam isn't an accurate representation..). I find it kind of exciting. As you can see on both pictures they definitely tried to get the likeness right. 90% of all that is gone by the way. A few of the building that remain today on that aerial photo are that white house which you can see on both pictures, and the church, and a few others.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Sméagol said:

I find it kind of exciting.

It was the same for me when Aachen, the town I'm currently living in, became a multiplayer map in CoD: WWII and the location for a mission in its campaign. It was kinda cool to walk through streets and alleys ingame that still exist in the real world, albeit rebuilt obviously.

• Like 1

Can you pre-order and cancel to get the code? (providing they do actually send one, unlucky Choze!)

Edited by dwarf

Well that is the tactic...

Either way I have Destiny and Spiderman(probably if decent).

Ok got my code too. Queued for download. This is going to be a crazy week gaming wise.

Maybe the delay is good. I'll have to play later. Just when Destiny opens their expansion... 

Pre-ordered the game yesterday (I know, shame on me) and tested a few rounds of Grand Operations. Man, this is already a way more intense experience than BF1! I really like it!

They bring awesome customization for the multiplayer,  the gunplay is solid and the sound effects are crisp and well made. Going to try some more later, but for now I think I will hang on to my pre-order.

Halp!

Played one match in the beta just now, never really played a Battlefield game. Have been a CoD gamer for the past few years.

However, it looks like I'll switch to Battlefield this year because I enjoy what I've seen so far.

• How does Conquest work? I didn't really understand when the enemy's reinforcement number goes down.
  • Does Battlefield V use hitscan or projectile weapons? I was a little overwhelmed with everything and didn't pay a lot of attention to the weapons.
  • Do you only show up on the map when you're shooting/tagged?
Edited by drahkon

@drahkon If you control more flags than the opposing team, their tickets (or lives) are depleted faster than yours. If your team controls every flag, the enemy team will lose tickets very rapidly. If both teams control two flags each, tickets for both sides will deplete at a slow rate. However, you can also deplete the enemy team's tickets by getting kills. So the idea is to do both, and they go hand in hand with each other to some degree.

Battlefield is projectile based but the gunplay is a bit more similar to CoD this year as weapons have predictable recoil patterns that you can learn to mitigate e.g bursting when using assault rifles, pulling down on the control stick to mitigate recoil as you fire, etc. Guns also have skill trees - some weapons can be upgraded with 'faster bullets' so that you don't have to lead targets as much when firing. Snipers have to factor in bullet drop at long range.

As far as I'm aware, you only show up on the radar when a sniper/recon uses a gadget to spot you - either with binoculars or a flare fun. I think all players can mark an area they're pointing at with R1, which comes up as a shield symbol on the radar and in the world, but there is no 3D spotting system for every player as in previous BF games, which is a huge improvement in my opinion. I think they've compensated for this with louder enemy audio cues such as gunfire and footsteps.

///

So far I'm impressed by the game, but I'm conflicted about the more hardcore avenue they've taken. In theory, I'm completely on board with the ammo limits, health regen limits, bandaging system etc. On the face of it, it's a good way to encourage squad play, get people to play the objective, and the classes feel properly distinguished from each now. The multiplayer is more intense and tactical as a result. I assume it's a riot to play if you're in a squad with group chat.

But there's only so much teamwork you can foster through mechanics alone. Overwhelmingly people still play the game like headless chickens because they don't use headsets. If you're in a random squad, and you don't have any way to agree on your next team objective, then everyone will just go lone wolf, which BFV punishes harshly. 

In Overwatch, the constitution of the team is front and centre. The game promotes a balanced team by telling you which classes you're lacking. And with it being 6 vs 6, the maps are fairly small and linear, so everyone is working towards the same objective. Players have broadly learnt not to Roy Jenkins onto the objective without the support of their team, and they can apply that knowledge to every single round of Overwatch they play.

The maps in Battlefield by contrast are enormous, with up to 6 objectives at any one time. So if your medic decides to capture B flag, and your ammo supplier goes to C flag, but you've gone to A flag because it's the most urgent/sensible option... you're pretty much fucked. 

I can see why they've limited the ammo/health stations around the map to keep squads together, but at the moment I think they could potentially add a few more. The problem might not be so bad once the meta of the game changes, and players start using the deployable ammo/health kits (which need to be unlocked, and selected), but I doubt that will happen because those abilities are less appealing to headless FPS players than the current alternatives (e.g. a grenade launcher), and it's easy to forget to use those team-oriented abilities in the heat of a battle.

Realistically, more of my game time is going to be spent without access to a group of mic'd up friends, which begs the question: is this game still enjoyable enough to play without them? Haven't decided yet. Maybe I should just encourage people on here to play/find some reddit users who'd be up for squadding.

///

Spawning needs a tweak. When you die you're given a view of what your squad-mate is doing, but there's no indication as to where they are on the map. DICE should just combine the map view with the squad player cam like they did with BF4. Also, the bleeding out screen is pretty irritating in its current form. It needs to be more obvious if there are squad mates/medics nearby to heal, and holding L2 to speed up the bleed out shouldn't prevent you from looking around for medics. Being forced to stare into the sky is pointless.

Final niggle - dishing out health and ammo is mapped to left on the d-pad, which is really cumbersome when you're trying to chase teammates without being able to use the left thumbstick to move. Could change it to R1, but in truth there just aren't enough buttons on the controller. Edit: you can't customise the controls in the beta. FML

Edited by dwarf

Rotterdam is one of the best maps I've played in any FPS. Every flag is a miniature map unto its own, but there's a brilliant flow between them all with plenty of different avenues and a mix of ranged and close-quarters gunfights. Hats off.

• Like 1

Yeah I am enjoying the beta. Its rough here and there but final game will have servers with tweaks to the gameplay stuff. So we shall see how it all comes together.

Aside from the obvious 24/7 Rotterdam servers.

36 minutes ago, Kav said:

So who’s picking this up?

Me, on PS4. Let's rinse.

Edited by dwarf
  • Like 1

I'll try to pick this up this year hopefully. Black Friday time.

The beta was pretty good on PS4. The powerhouse PC had afew random crashes and I couldnt be arsed to figure it out.

Edited by Choze

Worth mentioning that Firestorm (i.e. the BR mode) is launching in March as part of the online service. All post-launch content will be free.

19 days left.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sign in to follow this