NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Sméagol

Petit Computer 4

It's a programming ehh program using some version of Basic. It's coming for Switch, it's now official. Though nothing known about a European release.

https://www.famitsu.com/news/201805/22157659.html

I'm looking forward to this, so hope they localize it fast. I had the app for DSi, but didn't do much with it because for a long time there was no English documentaion. So I hope to remedy that this time. With all Switch features supported, I think this will 100% make Labo redundant for my purposes though.

Edit:

Didn't want to bump the thread, but after the announcement of the releasedate of Fuse 4, a similar program, I checked on the status of this. it has been delayed. Currently slated for Spring 2019, but that's the Japanese release.

Edited by Sméagol
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Sméagol said:

Yeah but mine is clearly more manly.

What with today's society kicking off with slightest thing, I didn't want to be accused of being sexist. :p 

• Haha 4

This is really cool, I wanted to get Petit Computer on my 3DS a while back but couldn't find it on the eshop so i'll definitely pick this up. I've been intending to learn how to program for ages so hoping this will give me a bit of a kick up the backside. 

40 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Haha! The avatar is catching on. :laughing:

Could I get some context on this

Just now, Nolan said:

Could I get some context on this

Look on the Smash Bros. Thread

Didn't realise he gave @Sméagol a job though.

• Haha 2
  • Weird 1

50 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

Look on the Smash Bros. Thread

Didn't realise he gave @Sméagol a job though.

Im branching out. Now you know what the N stands for in N-Europe. :D 

25 minutes ago, bob said:

Why is HoT talking to himself?

ah-blackadder-started-talking-to-yoursel

• Like 2
  • Haha 5
  • Weird 1

1 hour ago, Hero-of-Time said:

What with today's society kicking off with slightest thing, I didn't want to be accused of being sexist. :p 

Are you calling me sexist?

55 minutes ago, killthenet said:

This is really cool, I wanted to get Petit Computer on my 3DS a while back but couldn't find it on the eshop so i'll definitely pick this up. I've been intending to learn how to program for ages so hoping this will give me a bit of a kick up the backside. 

Depending on what you'd what to want to do besides programming within Petit Computer, you may be better off with something else. There's very little practical use for Basic (and varieties) nowadays. If you fancy buying a new ZX Spectrum (or some other old / new retro computer) for example, you could make games for that and be part of that community. If all you want is a new hobby project on your Switch (and potentially lead you to learn more useful programming languages later on), than this is probably perfect.

• Haha 3

I used to use Basic on my Amstrad 6128+ back in the day. :cool:

In fact, I got the original machine down from the loft recently, minus the original monitor as I found a place which makes a new Din plug to Scart cable and power supply for it. :D

And that new ZX Spectrum mentioned above... I have contributed towards that Kickstarter project as I've always loved the Spectrum as well. :)

Now this Petit Computer 4 is coming to the Switch? (hopefully over here as well)

I think 2018 is going to be the year when I get back into programming, at least in some form or another. :peace:

Edited by S.C.G

2 hours ago, Sméagol said:

Depending on what you'd what to want to do besides programming within Petit Computer, you may be better off with something else. There's very little practical use for Basic (and varieties) nowadays. If you fancy buying a new ZX Spectrum (or some other old / new retro computer) for example, you could make games for that and be part of that community. If all you want is a new hobby project on your Switch (and potentially lead you to learn more useful programming languages later on), than this is probably perfect.

I'm just looking at it as a total beginners programming course . Learning any language even something as archaic as BASIC is better than nothing, and I like the idea of programming for something like the Spectrum or the C64 when I know a bit more.

55 minutes ago, S.C.G said:

And that new ZX Spectrum mentioned above... I have contributed towards that Kickstarter project as I've always loved the Spectrum as well. :)

Yeah it looks damn cool, but is a bit expensive for such a simple computer, not to mention sold out.. Then it's better to get a Raspberry and try do some useful stuff ;). In fact, I really should look into that sooner rather than later. As for retro computers, as cool as I think that new Spectrum is, being Dutch, I'd prefer an MSX. The Spectrum was never as popular over here as it was in the UK, as far as I'm aware, and vice versa for the MSX. While I didn't have them myself, I've played on Ataris, Commodores, Amigas, and MSX's. ZX Spectrums didn't exist in my childhood. Of those four mentioned, I had the most experience with the MSX, as that's what we had in my elementary school, where I'd play Monkey Academy. I was waiting for this damn thing for an eternity, but it never came.

Edited by Sméagol
  • Thanks 1

This one, on the other hand, now has a (Japanese) releasedate of 23-05-2019.

Almost tempting to get a Japanese account for this.. But I won't, and will just patiently wait.

Well... I know I mentioned about the ZX Spectrum Next, almost a year ago and it looks like the finished units with the cases won't be arriving for a bit yet either.

So it's now a case of which will come out first in the UK/Europe? ZX Spectrum Next or Petit Computer 4 for the Switch. :p

At this rate, I might end up getting Petit Computer 4 to tide me over. ;)

Although all credit to the team who are making the new Spectrum a reality, they really are taking their time to get things just right and it has been a long and bumpy road.

.. Not quite sure what I'm looking at, but this seems to suggest you'll be able to use a Wacom tablet for Petit Computer!

I was already hyped at the prospect of being able to use a mouse!

• Thanks 1

Sign in to follow this