Sign in to follow this  
Hero-of-Time

Yakuza Remastered Collection

2 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

Don’t think they got Western releases did they?

They did not.

EDIT: Get them bought for your collection.

Edited by Hero-of-Time

5 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

They did not.

EDIT: Get them bought for your collection.

Yeah I’ve considered it. Depends how much they are though as I’d rather spend money on say my Megadrive or SNES collections if they’re expensive as the Yakuza ones I’d never be able to play myself.

I bought both of them on the PSP a few years ago and they didn't cost much then. Just wondered if anyone else played them that's all. PSP is region free so no problems playing them but the language barrier might put a few people off.

Playing through Yakuza 3 at the moment. At first it felt really dated and clunky compared to previous PS4 Yakuzas I'd played. Now I've got acclimatised to it, it's still pretty good. I like how the first few chapters are fairly relaxed just doing stuff for the orphanage. 

• Like 1

Spoiler

They trashed my orphanage, bastards!

Can't think of another game where I've wanted to get even with the bad guys more. 

• Like 2

Started Yakuza 3 a few hours ago and just finished Chapter 4, where things are starting to pick up a bit. Definitely the slowest start of any of the games I think, but there's a lot of jumping around in the first few chapters, and honestly, I think it does a pretty good job as something of a prologue (especially considering how much the events of 2 are referred to), almost in spite of that.

Cosy vibes at the orphanage and in Okinawa, great seeing how the dynamics work there between Kiryu and the kids, and it's a great way to escape everything going on at the moment. Felt like a beach/holiday episode of an anime at times, which is to say it feels great, and certainly put a smile on my face a number of times. I'm not sure how well the game is going to pivot into the more serious narrative which seems to be kicking off after such a warm start, from a pacing or narrative perspective, but of course I can't wait to see how it plays out. 

I think a fair share of the nitpicks I have so far are likely related to this being a remastered PS3 game, but still, I can't help like some of them could have been tweaked for a slightly better experience. I don't think these nitpicks will go away as the game goes on, so I'll mention them now. And to be clear, I'm really enjoying the game, I just feel like these have been too noticeable to not mention: 

- no pausing in cutscenes. Feel like this is the biggest one I have to highlight considering that it seems the most reasonable thing to add in the game, considering that it was present in 0 and both Kiwami and Kiwami 2. 

- Also, there are times where the budget limitations show (when compared to the more recent games): having a short cinematic cutscene play out, then interrupted by an in-engine cutscene which plays out like normal gameplay with text and without voices, before jumping back into the cinematic cutscene to complete the scene. It just makes for some real odd pacing. Then there has been one in the in-engine type that I mentioned which wouldn't autoplay the text, and instead gave you the option to autoplay it? Considering how short the scene was, seemed like an odd decision. 

- enemies block way more in this game than they did in the other games that I've played in the series so far, and bosses even more so. It kind of narrows down your options to approach situations differently quite considerably when compared to the other games, and often boils down to waiting for the enemy to swing at you before you can sidestep behind them, unleash a single chain, before waiting for them to hit you again. Just seems to drag the battles out in a way which isn't that enjoyable. 

- that camera's horizontal axis controls are seriously sensitive, and there aren't any sensitivity options. Takes a good while to adjust to it. 

Anyway, this is certainly the game I need right now, and I'm gobbling it up. Can't wait to play some more tomorrow. 

Posted (edited)

Put a good chunk of time into 3 today, and have just seen the end of Chapter 10.

Got to say, it's a very different game compared to the others that I've played so far in terms of scale and there being two threads for Kiryu instead of one. I don't think it could possibly be to everyone's liking, seeing as one of the threads almost entirely does away with what you think the focus would be, but instead you get this cosy, slow-paced journey which just feels like picking up from where we last left off with (Kiwami) 2. It's not the best story so far, and it doesn't have the best villain/s, but it's still managing to hit all of the right notes for me. 

Characters are still endearing, revisiting the streets of Kamurocho feels like visiting back home, and Onikawa just feels so much more laid-back. Substories are tiny morsels of hilarity, charm, and the occasional emotional depth we've come to expect injected throughout the game, and still do a good job of keeping things fresh. Even if the game on the whole is clunkier and generally much slower than more recent entries, I'm still having a blast with it. 

Also @Mandalore, the thing that happens in your Chapter 10 spoiler tag...doesn't happen in Chapter 10. I just finished it and checked your tag to see if I wanted to discuss it, and yeahhhhh, that hasn't happened yet :p guessed it would be heading in that general direction anyway, so no big deal, but it might be worth updating for anyone else who plays and comes across it! 

Edited by Julius

Oops sorry, and there was me thinking I was being careful with the spoiler tags. :indeed:

I never quite finished the game. Did the typical 2 hour rush with no save points or breaks to the end boss then died and thought screw it, Sakura Wars just arrived in the post I'll play that instead.

I'll go back to it later and try levelling up a bit more and filling my inventory with health items.

Finished Yakuza 3 yesterday.

Is it the best Yakuza? Probably not.

Is it more Yakuza? Hell yes it is.

Great cast, fun world, plenty of awesome substories. It's held back by dated, slower, and somewhat clunky controls and mechanics when compared to newer entries in the series, but that's to be expected for a remaster of a game which is over a decade old. Still, looks great most of the time. Also has quite a few "huh, really doing that? okay" moments, so not the greatest of Yakuza stories.

Well worth investing some time into if you're already a fan of the franchise, with some great highs and character moments, and it's probably the shortest of the Yakuza games I've played so far (I clocked in 17 hours with nearly half of the substories completed). 

Going to save my further thoughts for my next Gaming Diary entry, but had a great time with it. Can't wait to pick up next time with Yakuza 4. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Happenstance said:

Did you ever get around to moving onto 4 @Julius?

Not yet! Have you played it before?

Going to be totally honest, I hadn't picked up a game since The Last of Us Part II until I started up Arkham Asylum the other day, which I've been slowly chipping away at. A combination of that and my workload only getting heavier the last few weeks at work means I haven't been playing games as much lately, and have been quieter than usual on the forums. I still haven't caught up on my Gaming Diary... :cry:

It's strange because I loved TLOU2, but it just took so much out of me that I've been left feeling burnt out on games since, so I've been diving into anime, books, and the occasional game of FIFA since. Hopefully I'll get through Arkham Asylum by Friday when Ghost of Tsushima releases, and I think depending on how I feel after that game, a trip back to Kamurocho might be just what I need. 

Yakuza is just the right mix of cosy, over-the-top, and intrigue for times like these. 

Edited by Julius
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Julius said:

Not yet! Have you played it before?

I played a few hours on PS3 years ago but never got properly into it so I’m looking forward to playing the remaster someday, I’m still slowly working my way through Kiwami 2 though so it’ll be a while.

Sign in to follow this