NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Sméagol

Resident Evil 7 Cloud version

I should have created a separate thread right away, as it's pretty significant. For those not yet aware:
Capcom announced Resident Evil 7 for Switch, but the catch is that it's a streamed version. They did not port the game.

Current details:

- It's a streamed version, so it requires a connection at all time. You don't download any gamefiles, only the app that handles the streaming. Which is 45 MB.
- No western release info
- Japanese release is in a few days: 24 May
- Contains all dlc.
- It's a "rental". It costs 2000 for which you can play 6 months.
- You can try out this version for free for 15 minutes.

http://www.capcom.co.jp/bh7cloud/

Think this is a terrible idea (as I mentioned in the other thread) but will try and check out that 15 min trial on my JP account, as I'm really curious about how it's going to look/perform via streaming.

Yeah, like I said, I don't see this as a positive development, but I'm going to check it out regardless, out of sheer curiosity.

I’ve got to share this again as it’s too good not to...

• Haha 9
  • Weird 1

it's probably worse than that, as I assume the game itself doesn't pause simply because you're having connection issues (or does it?). The next screen may very well be "You are dead".

Anyway, those with a Japanese account can try for themselves, the game's available. Instructions for those who want to try it out (for free for 15 minutes):

https://nintendoeverything.com/resident-evil-7-cloud-version-out-now-on-the-japanese-eshop-can-be-played-in-english/

Well, I didn’t even get to reach the 15 minute limit, as the game just couldn’t seem to make it through the opening section. The few moments I did get to see ran incredibly poorly though, and I was also noticing severe input lag on the menus. :shakehead

Yeah... me thinks this was a pretty bad idea, Capcom. :heh:

• Thanks 1

They should add the slogan "Go tell Aunt grody" to the marketing materials

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, RedShell said:

Well, I didn’t even get to reach the 15 minute limit, as the game just couldn’t seem to make it through the opening section. The few moments I did get to see ran incredibly poorly though, and I was also noticing severe input lag on the menus. :shakehead

Yeah... me thinks this was a pretty bad idea, Capcom. :heh:

Keep in mind you're connecting to their servers in Japan so you've already got some latency due to that.

2 minutes ago, Ike said:

Keep in mind you're connecting to their servers in Japan so you've already got some latency due to that.

True. I expect it’d be a smoother experience for those in Japan. Bloody well hope so anyway for the sake of anyone that may have “purchased” this. :o 

I'm looking on Youtube for Japanese videos specifcally. I get loads of non-Japanese videos with titles like Capcom ruined Resedent Evil 7 bla bla etc.

They may very well have, but reserve final judgement until you've played a loacalized version maybe?

Anyway, two Japanese videos which should be more representative:

Notice the difference between the two, the first has a full network signal. Gameplay seems smooth.

The game doesn't look to great though, but stream and Youtube compression will have a significant part in that.

• Thanks 1

It is a very strange move though and I still can't pinpoint why this would be the way to go.

It's very confusing. I suppose it's a silver lining that I have no interest in playing Resi 7.

2 hours ago, Ugh first aid said:

The fact that this is even a thing hurts my head more then 999 is right now.

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. Nice choice.

Are you enjoying it? Where are you at? The music is awesome, isn't it? TELL ME.

I should play this again sometime.

Okay I have to ask, what is with people changing their avatar to some sort of toiletry brand logo? Have I missed something?

And to stay on topic, I think this is a terrible idea and the worst possible console to try it on, even if it's playable at home over good wifi the second you take it somewhere and try to use public wifi you would have no chance of it working.

3 minutes ago, Eddage said:

Okay I have to ask, what is with people changing their avatar to some sort of toiletry brand logo? Have I missed something?

You sure did.

This doesn't add much but just to weigh in on the concept/tech, I've played several PS Now games (same idea) and they've all run brilliantly. When connection gets weak the stream quality dips and occasionally there's some noticeable input lag, but 99% of the time it runs very well.

I do have very good broadband though and that connection was wired.

Sign in to follow this