NEurope
Glen-i

Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate

11 minutes ago, Kaepora_Gaebora said:

Mentally going back an forth about picking this up, I didn't really get into Generations on 3DS so it'll feel quite fresh...but then I didn't really get into Generations, so I'm not sure that'll change. 

If we can get a good hunting group together that might sway me heavily to get it, as I'll be keen to get high up the HR ranks more than the solo play which I found boring after awhile on 3DS.

@S.C.G, @Ugh first aid and I had many, many hunting sessions, (half of them probably involving Astalos) on the 3DS version and while I can't speak for S.C.G on this version. Ugh First Aid and I are really keen on jumping back and carrying on with our files.

We'd be happy to help you (or anyone else on N-Europe) knock out any quests you want to catch up to HR (and maybe move on to G-Rank).

• Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

@S.C.G, @Ugh first aid and I had many, many hunting sessions, (half of them probably involving Astalos) on the 3DS version and while I can't speak for S.C.G on this version. Ugh First Aid and I are really keen on jumping back and carrying on with our files.

We'd be happy to help you (or anyone else on N-Europe) knock out any quests you want to catch up to HR (and maybe move on to G-Rank).

Sounds good, I'd be keen to get up to G rank as quickly as possibly I think before tackling the solo play! 

@Kav @Blade you two have any desire to get into this as well? Nintendo's frustrating online tendancies aside, of course :p

20 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

Absolutely, I'll be transferring my file over on day 1 to the Switch version, which is where it will be staying assuming the cloud save backup feature works as intended. :smile:

12 minutes ago, Kaepora_Gaebora said:

Sounds good, I'd be keen to get up to G rank as quickly as possibly I think before tackling the solo play! 

@Kav @Blade you two have any desire to get into this as well? Nintendo's frustrating online tendancies aside, of course :p

We'll get you there within a week or so hopefully I reckon, especially when it comes to Astalos as @Glen-i mentioned, as he along with @Ugh first aid and @Dcubed make up the official ABC (Astalos Butchering Corporation) whose services you can rely upon to get the job done, so we'll surely take it in turns to get you to where you need to be. :cool:

As for coming off playing Monster Hunter World... I appreciate the refinements which MHW has brought, for me a lot of the "controversial" changes really are quite minor as they are overwritten by the huge amounts of small improvements which really make a huge difference; besides... currently the way that the potion taking works now is that if you start taking a potion, a monster leaps at you and you dive before the animation is complete, you have effectively wasted a potion, so there is definitely still that element of risk/reward there which doesn't harm the game in the slightest. ::shrug:

It will be interesting going back to Monster Hunter Generations... adjusting to those seperate loading locations, slower animations, frequent switching between hub worlds for little incentive.

I'm sure it's not going to be that bad going back really, as I know what to expect... also what is most exciting is having the option to play on full screen again, as some of the assets from the 3DS game deserves to look better on a larger screen; hopefully we'll still have a decent number of HUD customisations as I like to play with as minimal amount of permenant on-screen elements as possible, especially as I'll know the maps inside-out by this point. :D

Anyway, as a now seasoned Monster Hunter (which I count from MH3U and onwards since 2013) who plays and enjoys all of the series titles regardless of platform, I am looking forward to going backward with the Switch version :p kind of a back-handed compliment because it is the first game that you can play on the go and on the big screen on the same piece of hardware and still get a fantastic experience hopefully. :peace:

Just don't cheap out on the game card size this time Capcom because I want to buy this in physical form with no significant downgrades. ;)

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

Monster Hunter: Kitchen Sink Edition. Can't wait. :D 

Seeing as you can transfer the data from Generations, I'm tempted to fire it up again at some point and grind some levels and materials.

• Thanks 2

16 hours ago, Kaepora_Gaebora said:

Nintendo’s online means it’s a no I’m afraid.

• Thanks 1

I wonder if Capcom will include basic voice chat again, just like it did with the Wii U version of MH3U? :heh:

It was really odd because it was it was present in the Wii U version only, you could plug in any basic headset into the gamepad and it just worked while you were in-game. ::shrug:

There could be a similar setup here as it could be the same on a technical level, just plug in a headset and it would work, just on this game and only while in-game.

You'd still need to subscribe to Nintendo Online but if there was dedicated voice chat for MHGU at least then it would be something. :peace:

There isn't any way in hell that I'm using a mobile app. :shakehead

And if there is no voice chat at all, then I'll still play but it certainly added something to my experiences with MH3U and MHW, so I would like it in some unofficial capacity please Capcom. :D

I fired up MHG on the 3DS yesterday to see if I still enjoy playing it and therefore can justify getting MHGU. I still did, but two things I didn't like about MHG compared to 4 in retrospect: the hopping between the different hubs and the new weapon upgrade paths with the levels. Luckily the first should not matter since with MHGU I will spend most time in the online hub anyway!

Oh and the lack of a proper second analogue stick became very apparent after playing the Switch in handheld a lot and now going back to the N3DS's flimsy analogue knob thingy!

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Kav said:

Nintendo’s online means it’s a no I’m afraid.

A shame, but understandable! 

I won't be using voice chat myself on this for the most part, but then as I found with World on Xbox, you don't really need it: everyone knows what they are doing for the most part, certainly the higher up you go.

3 hours ago, S.C.G said:

I wonder if Capcom will include basic voice chat again, just like it did with the Wii U version of MH3U? :heh:

It was really odd because it was it was present in the Wii U version only, you could plug in any basic headset into the gamepad and it just worked while you were in-game. ::shrug:

There was also voice chat on MH Tri, via the infamous Wii Speak mic. :hehe:

I'm now remembering how bad it was on that but also on MH3U, where if anyone happened to have their Gamepad plugged in to charge there would be a really noticeable and annoying buzzing sound the entire time. :laughing: And didn't you have to manually enable the mic each time you joined a game too? I seem to recall there being many occasions where people wouldn't be responding only to later realise that the mic was still muted. :heh:

2 hours ago, Kaepora_Gaebora said:

I won't be using voice chat myself on this for the most part, but then as I found with World on Xbox, you don't really need it: everyone knows what they are doing for the most part, certainly the higher up you go.

I was very glad to have voice chat back when I started out playing MH, as I learnt a lot about the mechanics and stuff from chatting with other players (especially N-E Hunting legends @Hero-of-Time and @Mokong :bowdown:). But yeah, once you get into the flow of the game it definitely becomes less necessary, although it's obviously good to at least have the option.

Typing on the 3DS versions was always a bit of a nightmare due to the tiny keyboard and the fact you could only write about 4 words at a time. Best thing about text communication in those games is the customised quick chat, and I always got a good laugh out of seeing silly messages pop up when hunting with @Glen-i & Co. :D

Anyway, I watched that Gaijin Hunter vid yesterday and it definitely got me slightly more interested in picking up the game, having said that, there's almost certainly going to be much fresher Switch experiences around by the time this gets released (not to mention Yakuza Kiwami 2 on PS4) so it's still pretty likely that I'll be giving it a miss... at least at launch.

Either way, I'm already looking forward to seeing the potential video clips from N-E hunting sessions. That was always the main thing I missed when playing MH on 3DS, not being able to record/save all of the epic and hilarious moments. But with the Switch capture button (it is enabled for this game, right? :blank:) there should be many funny clips being posted in the future. :cool:

• Thanks 2

5 hours ago, Kaepora_Gaebora said:

A shame, but understandable! 

It's not so much for playing with randoms but for when playing with people you know. A few of us on here have had so many laughing fits while playing this series over the years. It's about having the bantz while playing a great co-op game with friends.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

It's not so much for playing with randoms but for when playing with people you know. A few of us on here have had so many laughing fits while playing this series over the years. It's about having the bantz while playing a great co-op game with friends.

Yeah that's true, a few times on Rocket League I've been cackling away to myself when @nekunando misses yet another sitter ;) still, with child situation voice chat is not something likely for me either way :(

• Sad 1

28 minutes ago, Kaepora_Gaebora said:

Yeah that's true, a few times on Rocket League I've been cackling away to myself when @nekunando misses yet another sitter ;) still, with child situation voice chat is not something likely for me either way :(

You're not cackling when I unleash the magic :cool:

I wondered why I was getting a mention in the Monster Hunter thread but I should have known of would be some form of mockery. That's all I ever seen to get around here..

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, RedShell said:

Typing on the 3DS versions was always a bit of a nightmare due to the tiny keyboard and the fact you could only write about 4 words at a time. Best thing about text communication in those games is the customised quick chat, and I always got a good laugh out of seeing silly messages pop up when hunting with @Glen-i & Co. :D

Either way, I'm already looking forward to seeing the potential video clips from N-E hunting sessions. That was always the main thing I missed when playing MH on 3DS, not being able to record/save all of the epic and hilarious moments. But with the Switch capture button (it is enabled for this game, right? :blank:) there should be many funny clips being posted in the future. :cool:

"I can't hold all these Biffs!"

I'm gonna have to think of some new customised shout outs. I have too much fun thinking them up. Specially nice that you can tie one to each hunter art, effectively letting you do a dramatic special move shout!

And just so you know, the Japanese version supports the Switch capture feature. So chances are, it'll be available. Even if it is too late to catch that one moment when @S.C.G got hit by a really powerful attack that sends you flying and he happened to fly right into my camera and the 3D effect was on, so it looked even funnier. Fits of laughter caused me to lose concentration and get killed shortly after.

Totally worth it.

• Haha 2

Decided to check out the 3DS version again (man, am I rusty! :heh:) also re-downloaded the Japanese demo of this to my Switch. Playing as the incredibly weak prowler on that and then going back to my level 50 beast of a cat on 3DS is quite amusing. :hehe: Have to say though, it’s got me even more tempted to get this and transfer my save file over. I assume there’s much stronger palico gear available in the Switch game, meaning I could potentially make my cat even more OP than it is currently, and that’s something I’d definitely love to see. :laughing:

• Haha 2

I just loaded up the 3DS version as well, decided to advance the offline quests which... I'm only on 3* Quests it seems. :blank:

Must have been all that relentlessly focused online play back when the game first came out. ;)

Anyway, I completed that hunting for Abyssal Mushrooms quest but I found hunting the Glavenus more entertaining... well, mildly. :p

The thing could barely scratch me in my shiny Astalos armour but it was still fun to butcher it nonetheless. :D

Then I just went about my mushroom gathering, struggled to find the camp, found it, delivered the items and that was that. :peace:

Still fun to play, I'm still going to be playing Monster Hunter World and I'll still be buying Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate when it comes out on the Switch. :cool:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Funny, me, @Glen-i and @Ugh first aid played a few rounds of the 3DS version a few days ago too.  Battered Raijan in his stupid face and killed a tiny Mephesto.  Good times!

Can't wait for the Switch version! :D 

• Thanks 1

I tried playing Generations a couple of days ago and I couldn't remember where to go or how to get online. It took a while to find my bearings and once I did find my way around, the gameplay just felt really rough after playing World, so much so that I may not pick up the Switch version. It's going to take a fair bit of time to adjust to how the game used to be played. It doesn't help that the 3DS has always been garbage to play the game on, so the Switch version should at least feel more comfortable to play.

• Thanks 1

I'm still finding myself playing this for part of my Monster Hunter fix at the moment.

In fact, I played it for a little bit before dinner earlier, still progressing with the 3* quests.

The most interesting was the egg carrying quest, as I forgot that you could still carry an egg while climbing down vines. :blush:

Twenty minutes to figure out the mechanics, two minutes to complete the quest after that... I totally beat down Astalos well before finishing the quest though. :D

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I tried playing Generations a couple of days ago and I couldn't remember where to go or how to get online. It took a while to find my bearings and once I did find my way around, the gameplay just felt really rough after playing World, so much so that I may not pick up the Switch version. It's going to take a fair bit of time to adjust to how the game used to be played. It doesn't help that the 3DS has always been garbage to play the game on, so the Switch version should at least feel more comfortable to play.

And that's coming from you, a MH veteran. Can you imagine how someone who started playing the series with World would adjust to playing this version? :grin: Not that there's probably going to be many people in that particular situation, but still, would be pretty interesting to see how those that are reacted to "old-school" MH. :laughing:

17 hours ago, S.C.G said:

I'm still finding myself playing this for part of my Monster Hunter fix at the moment.

In fact, I played it for a little bit before dinner earlier, still progressing with the 3* quests.

The most interesting was the egg carrying quest, as I forgot that you could still carry an egg while climbing down vines. :blush:

Twenty minutes to figure out the mechanics, two minutes to complete the quest after that... I totally beat down Astalos well before finishing the quest though. :D

Man, those gather the stuff/deliver egg quests... so dull. :zzz: They're literally the only quests that aren't complete in my game, just couldn't bring myself to play through 'em.

They don't return in the Switch version, do they? :heh:

• Haha 3

My God all the hype is really getting me back into that hunting mood. With this I honestly don't feel as salty about Monster hunter Worlds. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, RedShell said:

Up for pre-order on the eShop.

£49.99?! :o

Oh Capcom... :indeed:

Profound Sadness... Was hoping for a budget price release (or at least a 3DS level price of £39.99! Capcom are really taking the piss here!)

Edited by Dcubed

580x580_Email_Monster-Hunter-Generations-Ultimate_Switch-Pre-order_-101624.jpg

You can now pre-order on the Nintendo Store UK. :)

£49.99 for just the game or £54.99 with a figure, a discount of £5 as the figures are usually £10... collect them all! Or not... ::shrug:

Yeah I bought one with the game, just like I did with the original generations... just hoping I get an Astalos figure. :p

5 minutes ago, S.C.G said:

580x580_Email_Monster-Hunter-Generations-Ultimate_Switch-Pre-order_-101624.jpg

You can now pre-order on the Nintendo Store UK. :)

£49.99 for just the game or £54.99 with a figure, a discount of £5 as the figures are usually £10... collect them all! Or not... ::shrug:

Yeah I bought one with the game, just like I did with the original generations... just hoping I get an Astalos figure. :p

I've got it preordered on Shopto for £38. No deal. :p